Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the wait.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

“Oh isn’t it great to be home?” Matthew in her arms, Kirsty settled herself on the sofa and beamed a smile at Kane who was bringing the bags in.

“It’s good to have you home babe,” he replied.

“Thanks for the lift Irene, will you stay for a cup of tea?” Kirsty asked.

“No, ta anyway Darl but I best scoot, got loads to do,” Irene told her.

“What time’s the flight due?” Kane asked. Everybody knew how excited Irene was to have one of her original foster children returning to the Bay, she had been talking endlessly about it for weeks.

“About quarter past three but I’ve got to tidy up first and change the bedcovers in their room, they’re only staying with me while they look for their own place but still I want it to be right. Stephen doesn’t want to intrude on Sally at the moment so it’s best they stay with me,” Irene explained.

“And I can see you’re devastated by the arrangements,” Kirsty teased, Irene smiled.

“I’m going, why don’t you come to dinner later?” Irene suggested.

“You’ll probably have enough to do tonight, why don’t we make it tomorrow instead?”

“Yeah okay darl, look forward to it. See you later.” Irene left the house and Kane shut the door behind her.

“Do you want a cup of tea babe?” he asked.

“We need to talk first,” Kirsty told him.

“Let me make you a cup of tea first,” Kane replied.

“No Kane I don’t need a cup of tea, we have to stop avoiding this. You told me last night you lost your job but we both went asleep without talking about it and this morning Irene was there, we need to decide what we’re going to do babe. Besides that you haven’t told me what happened at the Prison,” Kirsty said, Kane sat down and sighed deeply.

“Nothing much happened at the prison babe, just the same old bull,” Kane told her, carefully avoiding telling her the whole truth.

“What did he want?”

“To tell me he was sorry, that he didn’t mean it. He wanted me to do him a favour but I didn’t stop to hear what he wanted, I just walked out of there. No way am I getting involved in anything to do with him again,” Kane told her; it was mostly the truth, just a few white lies and some omissions but there was no way he was going to tell her about the threats, she would only worry and that was the last thing she needed.

“You did the right thing babe, at least we can forget about him now,” Kirsty reassured him.

“Yeah,” Kane replied distractedly.

“So what about a job, what are we going to do about that?” Kirsty asked.

“Well I thought I could ask in the gym for a few shifts, they’ve not replaced Hayley yet and I did used to work there,” Kane replied.

“It’s a start I guess but it won’t be enough to keep this place on babe,” Kirsty reminded him.

“I know and its not even like we can move in with Irene while she has houseguests,” Kane mused.

“We’re not moving Kane. Its taken us long enough to get our dream house, I’m not giving it up now. Worst case scenario we can get someone to look after Matthew and I’ll get a job aswell,” Kirsty suggested.

“Yeah I guess, shall I make that cup of tea now?” Kane stood up and headed to the kitchen feeling increasingly distracted and leaving Kirsty frustrated as to what was up with him.

“So what exactly did Angel say then?” Irene asked of Pippa as the two women sat sipping coffee in the airport café. In their excitement to see their prospective children again they had arrived earlier than they had intended to.

“Just that she had somebody picking her up, she wouldn’t say who,” Pippa replied.

“Maybe its her solicitor or something, Selina tells me she has already bought a house over here,” Irene suggested.

“Yeah maybe. It’ll be so good to have Stephen home, I was so sorry I couldn’t be there for them when they lost their baby, I know just how hard that is,” Pippa said.

“I know, poor Sel was devastated, that was when she really started missing home and when Stephen heard about Flynn it was all settled, I’m chuffed though,” Irene replied.

“Funny them meeting Angel the way they did and sad about her marriage, it’ll be nice to see her again and her children. Dylan must be near Ric and Cassie’s age and Shane’s eleven I think, it seems like only yesterday I was delivering her during that terrible storm. That was the night I lost Michael,” Pippa reminisced.

“I know, funny how that happens isn’t it? One life ending as another begins, you’re happy though now aren’t you darl?” Irene asked.

“I am,” Pippa confirmed, “Ian is a wonderful man, very understanding and it’s lovely in the Carrington Ranges and not too far for me to visit Sal every now and again.”

“Good job too, she’s taken losing Flynn really bad, poor darl.”

“I know but grief’s a funny thing, I’m sure she’ll come round, given time. I’m hoping that having Stephen home will help,” Pippa explained, Irene nodded.

“Uhm, hello ladies.” The clearing of throat and voice was so familiar that Irene and Pippa turned instantly.

“Oh my gawd! Don Fisher! What you doing here love?” Irene was on her feet and hugging him.

“It’s wonderful to see you Don,” Pippa added.

“And you too. As for what I’m doing here, well I’d have thought it would have been obvious. I’m here for Angel,” Don explained.

“Of course, it all makes sense now,” Pippa told him, “Angel said somebody was picking her up, we just never thought it would be you.”

“How could I not? Angel was always special to me. Oh we rubbed each other up the wrong way at first but then she came to live with me and I became very fond of her, very fond indeed. It’ll be good to have her back in Australia again and Stephen and Selina. I’m staying in the Bay for a short while until Angel settles back in,” Donald explained.

“That’s great darl,” Irene enthused.

“Pippa I meant to ask you how is Sally bearing up?” Donald asked.

“Not good I’m afraid Don, she’ll barely speak to anyone and the only emotion she shows is towards Ric who for some reason she’s angry with, I don’t know Don. I’m hoping that having a few old faces back in the Bay will help her a bit,” Pippa explained.

“Well if I can be of any assistance, anything at all,” Donald offered.

“Oh gawd look they’ve landed!” Irene announced, excitedly she pointed to the Arrival board.

“They’ll be a while yet getting their baggage and then through customs,” Donald reminded but Irene had already downed her coffee and was marching towards the Arrival gate. Pippa and Donald exchanged a smile before following her.

It took half an hour to collect all five sets of bags and get through customs but eventually the five were making their way through to the Arrival lounge. Dylan and Stephen were pushing the trolleys and Selina and Angel walked, arms linked and with Angel’s other hand firmly clasping Shane’s. As they went through the gate it took a minute for them to spot their family through the crowd but when they did all six adults were suddenly racing into each other’s arms. Selina was crying as she hugged a teary eyed Irene, Angel was sobbing into an emotional Donald’s shoulder and Pippa had tears in her eyes as she hugged her second ever foster son. Within a few minutes everybody was hugging each other, including Dylan and Shane who, having never had family around them before, were feeling as if they finally belonged and more than a little bewildered.

“Stephen?” Selina whispered quietly, pulling Stephen aside as they began to make their way towards the car park.

“Yeah?” Stephen asked.

“I never want to leave Australia again,” she whispered, Stephen smiled.

“It’s a deal,” he agreed, kissing her. Angel, arm linked with Donald breathed a sigh of relief. It was all over now, she was safe, she looked at Dylan happily pushing the trolleys and Shane, shyly talking to Pippa and for the first time in months Angel felt safe.

Kim was angrily pounding the punch bag in the Gym. All the previous night he had been in turmoil over his kiss with Kit and the feelings it had rekindled within him; he had really thought he was over her, maybe not and where did that leave Rachel? He was attracted to her, no doubt about it and they had a connection and until yesterday he had really thought he loved her but he just did not know what he felt anymore. The punch bag took another pounding until his chain of thought was broken by one of the two people who were occupying it.

“What did it do to you?” Rachel’s eyes were teasing.

“Hey, nothing I just felt like a good workout,” Kim lied.

“I know how that feels, that’s why I go running,” Rachel replied.

“So what’s your excuse?” Kim asked.

“Work,” Rachel told him.

“I thought you loved your work,” Kim commented, taking a towel to wipe his face with.

“I did, I do but it’s difficult right now,” Rachel replied.

“It’s that Doctor Helpman isn’t it? Has he been bothering you again?” Kim asked.

“No in fact it’s just the opposite. Since I told him that I didn’t appreciate his behaviour he’s gone out of his way to avoid me,” Rachel explained.

“That’s good though isn’t it?” Kim asked.

“In a way but he’s making my life pretty difficult, questioning me, criticising, putting me down, I just don’t know how much I can take. I don’t have many friends around here, Leah’s got enough on trying to sort out her marriage without listening to my problems,” Rachel explained.

“Well I’ll always listen, I just wish there was something I could do, like knock that Doctor Helpman out,” Kim told her.

“That would be the worst thing you could do,” Rachel replied.

“It’ll sort itself out,” Kim reassured her, he put a comforting arm around her shoulder and she rested her head on him, taking comfort from him. They sat in silence for a minute, both enjoying the closeness between them, deep in their own separate thoughts.

“Hey Kit, have you come to see me?” At Beth’s words Kim looked up and through the doorway into Noah’s to where Kit was watching him and Rachel. She quickly turned away.

“Yeah I…I just came to see if you want any errands running, I’m going to Yabbie Creek,” Kit said quickly.

“Oh no thanks sweetie, I’m okay,” Beth replied.

“I best go, thanks for today, for listening, I’ve not felt this comfortable around anyone in a long time,” Rachel told Kim but she received no response so she looked at him and followed his gaze to where Kit was talking to her mother and deliberately avoiding looking at Kim.

“Oh, what? Sorry what did you say?” Kim asked, realising a second too late that Rachel had spoken.

“Nothing, it doesn’t matter. I’ve got to go.” Feeling hurt Rachel stood up and fled from the Gym.

“Rach wait!” Kim called after her but she was gone. He looked up to see Kit watching him but she glared at him and quickly averted her gaze and after saying goodbye to her mother, she too left the Surf Club. Kim sighed, now he was even more confused than ever and even worse he had managed to hurt both of them. Standing up he returned to the punch bag and began hitting it harder than he had ever hit anything in his life.

“I reckon I’ve got about twenty minutes to go and then I’m out of here!” Sutty entered his cell and grinned at his cellmate but Jesse did not smile back. “Come on, aren’t you pleased for me?”

“What’s going on with you and Philips?” Jesse demanded.

“What? Nothing,” Sutty protested but his eyes told a different story.

“Don’t lie to me, he’s after you to do a job for him isn’t he?” Jesse demanded.

“No, honestly I’ve barely spoken to him,” Sutty protested.

“I said don’t lie to me!” Jesse furiously pushed Sutty back against the cell wall. “I saw you with him, the last two days he’s been talking to you at every available minute and from the way you’re acting I reckon he needs you to do him a job so are you going to tell me or not?” Jesse demanded.

“Look Jesse it’s none of your business,” Sutty told him.

“It is my business if it concerns Kane Philips. I’m not stupid Sut, Kane visits Gus in prison, Gus is heard issuing threats and suddenly he’s all over you just as you’re getting out? Don’t treat me like an idiot. What has he told you to do to Kane?” Jesse demanded.

“Nothing,” Sutty protested but Jesse furiously took him by the throat.

“I said don’t lie to me!”

“Look Jesse I can’t tell you, I really can’t but I swear to God he’s not asked me to harm him, will that satisfy you?” Sutty was almost begging, he hated going against Jesse but at the end of the day it was Gus Philips that he was most scared of.

“What about his family and friends, are you to harm them?” Sutty shook his head. “So what then?”

“Just a delivery, a note,” Sutty admitted.

“A note?”

“Yeah I swear to God I’m telling the truth.”

“Why are you so scared of him?” Jesse demanded.

“Look Gus knows stuff, I owe him, he says if I do this job we’ll be even,” Sutty explained.

“And you believe him? You know how these things work Sut, this’ll do for now but soon there’ll be something else. You’ll never be rid of him!” Jesse protested.

“Look Jesse I don’t have a choice alright?” Sutty pushed his cellmate off him and brushed down his clothes.

“Let me help you. I’ll do extra time, I’ll take Gus out, whatever you want I’ll do it, just don’t harm Kane Philips or anyone in Summer Bay,” Jesse begged.

“I can’t let you do that,” Sutty protested.

“You have to. Please don’t do this job,” Jesse begged. Sutty looked at the man he had grown an enormous amount of respect for, the first person he had ever truly valued as a friend and he knew that no matter what Jesse asked of him, there was no way he could let him do what he was offering. It was much too risky.

“I’m sorry Jesse but I can’t,” Sutty told him, “it’s just a warning message and it’ll get Gus off my back. I have to do it.”

“What stupid hold does he have over you? Why are you so scared? You can’t honestly believe that if you deliver this message it’ll be over!” Jesse protested.

“It has to be, look he knows where my mother lives, he’ll go after her,” Sutty admitted.

“I’ll help you, I’ll protect her,” Jesse offered.

“How? Don’t be stupid. I have to do this job, I’m sorry,” Sutty said.

“Fine deliver your warning but swear to me that you’ll never harm Kane Philips or anyone around him? Promise me that if Gus ever asks you to harm any of them that you’ll get in touch and let me sort it?” Jesse demanded as the cell door was unlocked.

“Come on Sutton, time to leave.” The Prison Warden was at the door. Sutty looked at Jesse.

“You’ve been a great mate, the best but I’m sorry, I can’t promise you what you want.” With that Sutty followed the Warden from the cell and the door was slammed behind him leaving Jesse to finally release his temper and smash his cell; an act that was soon discovered and landed him a stretch in isolation. In the confines of the empty solitary cell Jesse reflected back on the events of the afternoon and suddenly realised what a fool he had been. Kane Philips was in serious danger, Jesse was sure of it and the only person who could have warned him had stupidly got himself locked up on the isolation wing and was unable to make that precious phone call. One more thing for Jesse to feel guilty about. Defeated he sunk to the floor and with his head in his hands, began to sob.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't intending to come back to this so soon but now that I've finally bought Stephen, Selina and Angel back I can't stop writing about them so here goes.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

“Are you still going through those files Holden?” Sergeant Bellmore demanded.

“With respect Sir there’s an awful lot to go through, Josh West has a hand in practically every dodgy deal that’s ever happened around here by the looks of this,” Jack replied.

“Well we have enough evidence to charge him for corruption and abuse of office so that should be enough to hold him while we gather more evidence together,” Sergeant Bellmore told him.

“And Amanda?” Jack asked.

“Her too, she was less involved but she’s still in it up to her neck. What we need to do is start bringing in the people who have bribed or taken bribes from Mayor West and those who’ve done his dirty work. PC Grey do you think you have enough evidence on this * to bring him in?”

“Yes Sir and there’s another name that’s cropped up as having worked for Mayor West doing deliveries and such like,” PC Grey said adding emphasis.

“Well best bring them in then, take PC Horton and go arrest them now,” Sergeant Bellmore instructed.

“Yes Sir we’ll go for * first and then Robbie Hunter.”

“Robbie Hunter?” Jack’s head was lifted straight away.

“Do you know him Jack?” Sergeant Bellmore asked.

“Yes Sir he’s my next door neighbour and a good friend, what is this evidence? Robbie Hunter isn’t capable of doing anything dodgy, I promise you that,” Jack insisted.

“We have him on CCTV from the Mayor’s office meeting with Mayor West and receiving envelopes which we know were received by * amongst others,” PC Grey explained.

“He probably had no idea what was in the envelopes,” Jack protested, “I swear Sir I’d put my job on Robbie Hunter being honest.”

“Well if that’s true he has nothing to worry about does he? Bring him in,” Sergeant Bellmore replied.

“Please Sir will you let me go for him?” Jack asked.

“Absolutely not Holden. You’re personally involved and so you might compromise the case. You can finish going through them files.”

“But Sir…”

“The files Holden!” Jack had no alternative but to comply.

“Here you are Pippa.” Donald Fisher pulled his car up outside the Caravan Park.

“I know you’re anxious to see your new home Angel but won’t you come in for a cup of tea first?” Pippa offered.

“Yeah do you know what, I’m dying to see this old place again,” Angel admitted.

“Come on then.” Donald turned off the engine and they all scrambled from the car. “Oh it’s like nothing has changed but everything has!” Angel breathed as Pippa opened the door on the Caravan Park House.

“I know, this house is so enduring isn’t it?” Pippa replied, Angel smiled, she made her way to Sally’s photo wall.

“Sally kept up your photo tradition then did she?” Angel remarked.

“Yes, there’s some new faces there now, speaking of which,” Pippa said as Cassie entered the room followed by Matilda. “Hello girls, I’d like you to meet some old friends of mine, you’ve met Don before of course at Alf’s party but this is Angel and these are Angel’s children, this is Dylan and Shane,” Pippa introduced. “This is Cassie, she lives with Sally and me here and this is Matilda Hunter, her mother Beth owns Noah’s Bar with Alf.”

“Nice too meet you,” Cassie said, her eyes resting on Dylan. When Pippa had said some friends of hers were coming from England Cassie had not expected one of them to be the gorgeous guy who was stood now in their lounge. Dylan was very like his mother, he had similar eyes, nose, lips, light brown hair and his eyes sparkled with mischief; he was a long way away from the quiet, shy child that had left the Bay with Angel all those years ago. Shane on the other hand bore no resemblance to her mother whatsoever, she the image of her father and namesake. She had the same brown hair and brown eyes as her father and the same cheeky grin that he had had. Every time Angel looked at her daughter the memories of Shane came flooding back, he was still the love of her life and not a day went by when she did not miss him. If she was honest she had never loved Simon, not the way he had loved her and although he had been understanding of her at first, he had quickly become irritated by her stubborn need to keep Shane’s memory alive. They had both tried hard to make their marriage work for the sake of Dylan and Shane but it had not lasted and although it was Simon who had run off with another woman Angel knew that a lot of the blame lay at her door.

“Angel? I asked if you wanted any cake?” Pippa asked.

“Sorry Pip I was miles away, nearly thirteen years away to be exact,” Angel replied.

“Shane huh? I know what you mean, having you here is making me remember Michael but it’s good not to forget Angel,” Pippa told her, Angel smiled warmly.

“So your Mum runs this bar huh? Stephen was telling me that the old Surf Club was a bar now, that’s so weird, Summer Bay finally moved into the twenty first century huh?” Angel asked of Matilda, changing the subject.

“Only just,” Matilda replied with a smile, which Angel returned.

“Pip we were going to go down the beach now you’re back, baby Pippa is asleep upstairs and Sal is in her room,” Cassie explained.

“Thanks Cassie, has she said anything?” Pippa asked, Cassie shook her head but with the knowledge of her years Pippa sensed there was more to say. “Cassie?” she urged.

“We had words, well I did. Leah came round, do you know she’s told Ric she hates him and wants him to move out?” Cassie explained.

“You’re joking?” Pippa was shocked but Cassie shook her head. “Okay love you leave it with me and have fun at the beach.”

“Thanks Pip,” Cassie said gratefully, “would you like to join us?” she offered to Dylan and Shane although it was Dylan really that she wanted to ask.

“Can we Mum?” Shane begged, Angel raised an eyebrow. She was well aware that Dylan was an attractive boy and could see that the girls had noticed too, particularly Cassie and Angel very much doubted that they wanted Shane tagging along. Still it had been a kind offer and it would not hurt Dylan to put himself out.

“Go on then but I want you to stay with your brother and Dylan, be back within the hour, we have stuff to do,” Angel replied.

“Sure,” Dylan replied, looking from Matilda to Cassie and then back to Matilda, suddenly Summer Bay did not seem so bad after all. The four teenagers left the house and Angel settled herself at the table, accepting a cup of tea from Pippa.

“That doesn’t sound like Sally to tell somebody she hates them, especially not a child,” Donald remarked, thoughtfully.

“I know but she’s not the Sally you know anymore Don, she’s changed,” Pippa admitted.

“Do you think it’s worth me going to speak to her?” Donald suggested.

“I honestly don’t know. I’ll go up first and see if she’s in the mood for visitors, I need to check on baby Pippa anyway.” Pippa left the room and Donald smiled at Angel who took his hand across the table.

“Being here makes me feel like we’ve never been away,” she remarked.

“That’s the old Summer Bay magic,” Donald replied, “I know exactly what you mean.”

“So what is there to do round here?” Dylan addressed his question to Matilda. Both of these girls were attractive but she was the one who had really caught his eye.

“Not much really, it’s a pretty small town. Mostly we hang at the Beach but there’s also the Diner and Noah’s which is a Gym and Juice Bar during the day and a Bar by night, not that we’re allowed in there at night,” Matilda explained.

“Small towns, everybody knows you’re not old enough,” Cassie added, smiling at Dylan to suggest that if it was not for that she would be in there all the time.

“Thought your Mum ran it, doesn’t she let you in?” Dylan asked Matilda.

“She’s cool but not that cool,” Matilda replied.

“What’s the beach like, Dylan said it’s amazing,” Shane added her voice to the conversation.

“It is, really beautiful,” Cassie replied, “Pippa said you were only young when you left here, how do you remember the beach?”

“I was five when I left here and I don’t remember everything but I do remember some things. I remember driving away from here in Simon’s car and asking Mum if there was beaches in England, she said that there was but not like this one because this one was special, or something like that,” Dylan explained.

“Yeah it is pretty special,” Matilda agreed, “there see for yourself Shane.” They paused for a moment at the wooden fence to look down onto the beach.

“It’s beautiful!” Shane enthused, Dylan said nothing but he was smiling.

“Brings back memories huh?” Cassie asked.

“Sure does. My Dad Shane used to always bring me down the beach,” Dylan explained.

“Your Dad was called Shane too?” Cassie asked.

“Yeah, he died a few months before Shane here was born and mum named her after him,” Dylan explained.

“But he wasn’t your real Dad like he was mine,” Shane piped up, jealous that Dylan remembered him when she had never met him.

“He might as well have been, he got together with my Mum when I was two or three and he treated me like his own,” Dylan explained.

“Like Flynn did with me and Ric,” Cassie explained.

“Is Flynn the man who died? Who’s Ric?” Dylan asked.

“Flynn was Sally’s husband, they fostered me and they fostered Ric as well but Flynn died of cancer last month and Ric’s got to move out. He’s in hospital at the moment, he had an accident in a boat,” Cassie explained.

“What happened to your parents?” Shane asked.

“They died,” Cassie explained.

“Like my Dad, he had blood poisoning,” Shane announced.

“He got a cut on his hand and because he’d not long had his spleen removed he got septicaemia and died,” Dylan explained, “anyway can we change the subject?” Talking about Shane’s death was bringing back memories for Dylan that he was keen to forget. “So what do you intend to do here at the beach then?” he asked.

“What else, sunbathe!” Matilda announced as she and Cassie stripped down to minuscule bikinis.

“For some reason I think I’m going to like Summer Bay,” Dylan told them.

“Cass will you put suncream on my back for me?” Matilda asked.

“Allow me.” Dylan took the tube and gently massaged it onto her shoulders. Matilda felt tense at first but then she relaxed and appreciated what was a really good massage. She was going to have to be careful, Dylan Parrish was altogether too good looking and charming.

“Will you do my back too?” Cassie asked, more than a little jealous, “good job Lucas isn’t here Mattie, he’d get the wrong idea, you allowing a strange guy to apply your suncream,” she added.

“Who’s Lucas?” Dylan asked.

“Lucas is my boyfriend,” Matilda explained, glaring at Cassie.

“Oh right.” Dylan moved away from Matilda and began to rub suncream in for Cassie too.

“What would Ric think?” Matilda asked pointedly.

“Nothing, Ric and I aren’t together, he has Belle now,” Cassie replied, Matilda could think of no response.

“Dylan come and paddle with me!” Shane called from the sea.

“Sister calls,” Dylan told both girls with a smile and headed down to the sea to join Shane. Matilda and Cassie both sat up and watched him fooling around with his sister in the sea.

“What did you go saying that for? He was only rubbing suncream on my back, it’s not like we were doing anything wrong. Anyone would think you were jealous,” Matilda demanded of Cassie.

“Why would I be jealous? You’ve got Lucas remember, I’m the single one and he rubbed suncream on my back too. He’s gorgeous isn’t he?” it was more of a statement than a question.

“Yeah,” Matilda felt inclined to agree, “but you can have him, I’m only interested in Luc.”

“Good because I intend to have him. I’m sick of being the single one,” Cassie replied. Matilda lay back on the sand and said nothing; it didn’t matter to her if Cassie started going out with Dylan, she had Lucas and she loved him but that did not explain why she felt so attracted to Dylan. Pushing such thoughts from her mind Matilda shut her eyes and concentrated on soaking up the sun’s rays and next to her Cassie continued to watch Dylan in the sea.

“Well here we are kiddo, home sweet home.” Irene pushed open the front door of the beach house to admit Stephen and Selina.

“Oh Irene, it’s so good to be back here, so many memories!” There were tears in Selina’s eyes as she walked though the house to the kitchen.

“This house looks the same as always,” Stephen added.

“Irene these sandwiches look gorgeous and that cake, you’ve gone to so much trouble!”

“Actually darl, I ain’t, I don’t know who put them there but it certainly wasn’t me. Must have been Kim, Kim love are you in?” Irene called.

“No Irene, it’s me.” Barry appeared at the top of the stairs.

“Gawd save us, you frightened me half to death! When did you get back, I wasn’t expecting you for another week, how was the City?” Irene asked.

“Boring, I missed you,” Barry admitted almost shyly.

“I missed you too.” Irene kissed him but Barry quickly pulled away and looked around him, embarrassed to realise they had company. Selina and Stephen were watching them and smiling, Selina thought she had never seen Irene so happy.

“Hello, you must be Selina and Stephen? I’m Barry.”

“Nice to meet you.” Stephen shook his hand and he received a hug and a kiss from Selina.

“Yeah it’s great to finally put a face to the name,” she told him.

“Likewise,” Barry replied.

“You big softie, fancy preparing all this for us,” Irene teased, pushing him playfully but she was touched.

“Well I popped in the Diner first and Colleen told me you were going the Airport to pick Stephen and Selina up so I asked her to prepare some food in case you were hungry when you arrived home and to save you cooking tonight. I confess it was she who did all the work though,” Barry replied.

“It’s the thought that counts and it’s lovely. I’ll just put the kettle on, is Kim likely to be home at anytime soon, do you know?” Irene asked.

“No idea sorry,” Barry replied.

“So who else is living here now then?” Selina asked of Barry, as Irene headed into the kitchen.

“Just me, Irene and my son Kim. It’ll be nice to have some company though, it’s been pretty quiet here the past few weeks since Hayley, Kane, Kirsty and Tasha moved out,” Barry explained.

“Now Hayley I’ve heard of, although I never met her,” Selina remarked.

“I did, she was at Sally’s wedding to Flynn,” Stephen spoke up.

“Yes she moved to France with Scott Hunter,” Barry supplied.

“Scott Hunter…wasn’t he the coachman at Sally’s wedding?” Stephen asked.

“That’s right darl, what a day that was, the horse bolting, Sally turning up splattered with mud and then the rain! It was lovely in the end though, at Sophie’s bedside in the hospital. It’s such a shame Flynn going the way he did,” Irene reminisced.

“Yeah, I want to go see Sally when we’re settled here, from what Pip said she’s in a bad way,” Stephen remarked.

“Yeah she is, hopefully having you two back will help though hey? Now you’re in the room opposite the bathroom, I hope that’s okay? It’s been empty since Kirsty and Kane moved out but I’ve given it a good clean and airing,” Irene explained.

“Kane was the one who went on the run right?” Selina asked.

“Yeah but he’s a good kid, just made me a Godmother. You’ll meet him and Kirsty tomorrow, they’re coming for dinner. Do you think that room will be big enough? Tasha’s room is free too but I thought with you carrying Sel that it’d be better for you to be down here and close to the bathroom,” Irene explained.

“It’ll be great, don’t worry Irene. It’ll be like being a teenager all over again,” Selina giggled, “so how come this Tasha moved out then? She was the girl who only spoke pig Latin right?”

“Yeah.” Irene exchanged a guarded look with Barry.

“What is it? Why did you look like that Irene?” Selina demanded, picking up on the look that passed between them.

“Nothing love, she’s just living elsewhere right now,” Irene replied.

“Where elsewhere and why don’t you want to tell me?” Selina demanded.

“Alright then, she’s living at this cult, they call themselves the Believers, they’ve got her well and truly brainwashed. I didn’t want to say anything in case I raked up old memories for you, that’s all kiddo,” Irene explained.

“I’m not a little girl Irene, I don’t need protecting. It’s in the past now, have you tried to get her out of there?” Selina demanded.

“We all have but you know what it’s like when you’re involved with those sorts of people girlie, you don’t listen to anyone around you,” Irene reminded.

“Maybe I should have a word?” Selina suggested.

“Not on your nelly sunshine!” Irene protested vehemently.

“I might be able to get through to her though, I know what it’s like don’t I? What if you lot had have given up on me hey?” Selina demanded.

“It’s different this time though, we all knew what Saul wanted you for and you were in danger but this camp is run by a woman; Mamma Rose she’s called. You don’t know what you're dealing with, promise me you’ll stay out of this Selina?” Irene begged.

“I’m with Irene. Sel those sort of cults have caused enough trouble for us in the past, I don’t want you getting involved with them again,” Stephen told her, Selina fell silent for a minute.

“Selina promise me?” Irene pressed.

“Alright I promise,” Selina said reluctantly. Irene and Stephen both breathed a sigh of relief.

“Shall we have these sandwiches then?” Barry suggested trying to ease some of the tension from the room because right at that moment you wouldn’t have needed a knife to cut through it; it was so heavy that a needle would have done.

Oh, this is definitely a script stolen from a H&A movie being made in the distant future! :P *goes off to inform a Summer Bay cop* *comes back* Jack these days, isn't it? :unsure:

“Being here makes me feel like we’ve never been away,” she remarked.

“That’s the old Summer Bay magic,” Donald replied, “I know exactly what you mean.”

Brilliant lines and a brilliant way to end a scene. I could picture the nostalgic expressions. :)

Looking forward to the next episode. :D

Archived