Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER TWENTY

“And you seriously say you’ve looked everywhere?” Sergeant Bellmore demanded, the frustration evident in his voice.

“Yes Sir we tried his home, his family, all his regular haunts but with no luck. His sister says he ran out of the house yesterday morning and only returned to go to bed before leaving at the crack of dawn this morning and nobody knows where he is now,” PC Grey explained. Jack strained his ears to hear more as the conversation moved into Sergeant Bellmore’s office. He was feeling frustrated and left out of things but the Sergeant seemed to think that Jack was too personally involved in this case and would not let him anywhere near the suspects. He was so sick of stupid paperwork though!

“He can’t just have disappeared into thin air, do you think his family are covering for him?”

“No Sir they seemed genuinely alarmed by his disappearance, apparently he’s not been the same since his girlfriend joined that Believer’s commune a few months ago.”

“The Believers? Is that the cult thing that Holden’s had us raid on several occasions but nothing was ever found?” Jack heard Bellmore demand.

“Yes Sir but he had it on good authority Sir.” Jack allowed himself to smile as his colleague defended him.

“Hmm not sure how good an authority his girlfriend is but never mind, see if Holden can shed any light on Robbie Hunter’s disappearance,” Sergeant Bellmore commanded. Jack raced back to his desk and was seated just in time as the door opened and PC Grey came out. He smiled at Jack and came straight over.

“So you heard all that huh?” he asked quietly, Jack nodded.

“Sorry mate you know what he’s like, he just thinks you’re too personally involved in this,” PC Grey tried to explain.

“You don’t have to defend him Mark,” Jack told his friend, “as for Robbie I couldn’t say where he is if he’s not anywhere you’ve already checked unless…”

“Unless what?” PC Grey prompted.

“Well unless he’s at the Believer’s Farm. Whoever told you he had lost it a bit since Tasha joined them was spot on. The last week or two it was like he had accepted things but who knows, Robbie loves Tasha, he’d do anything for her,” Jack explained.

“Even break the law?” Sergeant Bellmore had come up behind them.

“He’s a decent guy Sir,” Jack skirted the question.

“That wasn’t what I asked Holden I asked if you believe that Robbie Hunter is capable of breaking the law if he thinks it’s helping his girlfriend?” Jack lowered his head knowing whatever he said would be construed wrong. “Holden?”

“Yes Sir I do believe he’s capable of breaking the law to help Tasha,” Jack admitted, reluctantly.

“Then you two had best get down to the Believers farm and if there’s no sign of Robbie Hunter you are to issue a warrant for his arrest. It’s paramount that we question him before the case against Josh West crumbles,” PC Bellmore instructed.

“Yes Sir,” PC Grey took his orders.

“Sir can I…” Jack began but his superior officer cut him off almost immediately.

“No Holden you can continue going through those papers.” He stalked off and Jack received a consoling smile from Mark but it did not make him feel any better. He wanted to scream, he was so frustrated and all he was allowed to do was paperwork and he was sick of stupid paperwork!

“So what are you kids up to today?” Irene asked of Selina, Stephen and Kim as they sat round the breakfast table with her and Barry.

“Double shift at the gym and I’m the only member of staff working, add to that we have classes booked all day and James Thompson who takes the martial arts classes is sick so they’ll all have to be cancelled,” Kim explained.

“Why don’t you phone young Kane and see if he’ll do some shifts for you? You know Alf had to lay him off and he and Kirsty really need the money now that Matthew’s here,” Irene suggested.

“Yeah I’ll do that, cheers Irene that’s one less problem, can you sort my martial arts instructor out too?” Kim teased.

“D’ya know what darl? Maybe I can, did you know young Stevo here was a whizz at the old Karate?” Irene told him.

“Seriously?” Kim asked.

“I’ve not done any Karate in years,” Stephen protested, glaring at Irene.

“You don’t forget that sort of thing though, do yer kiddo?” Irene replied.

“It’s like riding a bike,” Barry added, a teasing smile playing around his lips as he observed Stephen's discomfort. He had taken to Selina and Stephen from the moment he had met them and it was nice to have people around the house again, it would do Stephen good to re-integrate himself back in the community and what better way than to work in the gym?

“Seriously guys I was never any good,” Stephen argued.

“You liar!” That was Selina, she punched Stephen playfully on the arm.

“Hey..” he protested.

“Come on Stephen mate like Irene said you won’t have forgotten, please if you could just take a couple of classes, just the beginners. It’d be a big help, you know you want to,” Kim urged.

“I kind of thought our first day inhe Bay again would be just you and me,” Stephen appealed to Selina.

“Aw babe that’s so sweet but we’re going to spend every day from now on here and to be honest I’m still really tired from the flight. I wasn’t planning to do much today, maybe take a walk and go see Angel,” Selina replied, a germ of an idea was arising in her head and suddenly it was important that Stephen was occupied for the day.

“I don’t know,” Stephen was still unconvinced.

“You want to really and you’d be helping Kim out, go on I’ll be fine. Angel and I will only be girlie gossiping anyway,” Selina remarked.

“Well in that case, if you’re sure..”

“I’m sure,” Selina confirmed.

“Okay count me in then,” Stephen told Kim who responded with a smile.

“So now that’s sorted will you guys please stop your yapping and eat your brekkie?” Irene demanded and everybody did just what they were asked.

Due to a lack of food in the new house Angel had treated Donald, Dylan and Shane to breakfast in the Diner, or at leastshe was intending to if Shane would only get round to making up her mind.

“You have ten seconds lady and then you’re getting the same as your brother,” Angel threatened.

“Okay just toast, and a strawberry milkshake, no actually I’ll have chocolate...”

“Shaaane!” Angel stretched out the middle syllable to emphasise her frustration.

“Strawberry,” her daughter hastily confirmed and Angel made her way to the counter before Shane could change her mind.

“Ah hello deary what can I get you?” the woman behind the counter asked and Angel placed her order, “so you must be the one from England who used to live here?” the woman barrelled on.

“Yes, small town gossip huh?” Angel asked.

“Something like that. I don’t think I remember you from first time around but you might remember my Lancie, a good-looking boy was my Lancie…”

“Colleen will you fix Angel her order please.” Irene bustled into the Diner, “sorry I’m late Leah,” she called into the kitchen.

“It’s okay Irene I know you have a lot on with your guests,” Leah replied, coming out from the kitchen.

“Speaking of which this is Angel, Angel I’d like you to meet Leah Baker my business partner and you’ve already met Colleen I see,” Irene introduced.

“Yes I have, thanks,” Angel smiled.

“Well welcome back to the Bay Angel,” Leah greeted.

“Thanks but it already feels like I’ve never been away,” Angel remarked.

“Hi all, can I have a flat white please Irene?” Peter Baker entered the Diner and in a movement only observed by Irene, Leah instantaneously disappeared back into the kitchen.

“Coming right up darl,” Irene replied.

“Ah Detective Baker have you met Angel, she used to live here around the time that my Lancie did and…”

“No I hadn’t. Pleased to meet you, Angel is it?” Peter held out his hand and Angel shook it.

“Angel Parrish and you’re Detective Baker?”

“Peter please,” he urged.

“So you’re the local constabulary huh?” Angel asked.

“Why do I get the impression you don’t like police?” Peter asked.

“I have nothing against police, my brother in law was a cop but my husband hated the police,” Angel replied smiling at the memories.

“Amazing how many people do, we’re human really you know,” Peter told her with a smile.

“Mum, Mum!” Shane came up behind Angel who sharply turned round to address her daughter and as she did so sent the coffee Irene had just handed to Peter all over him.

“Shane!” Angel snapped frustrated, “go and sit down this instant young lady!” Angel reprimanded, Shane did as she was told. “I am so sorry.” Angel turned to Peter.

“It’s okay, don’t worry,” Peter replied.

“No it’s not okay, look at your smart suit, I’m so sorry!” Angel repeated.

“Honestly it’s okay, the suit will dry,” Peter told her.

“Well at least let me get you a replacement coffee and have your suit dry cleaned?” Angel asked.

“Honestly it’s not necessary,” Peter insisted but Irene was already handing him a coffee.

“On the house darl, it was just an accident,” Irene told them.

“Oh god I feel awful, can I pay your dry cleaning bill then?” Angel insisted.

“Listen it’s really not necessary, it was an accident. Look if you feel that guilty how about you buy me a drink in Noah’s Bar once my shift’s finished at six and you can tell me why you hate cops so much huh?” Peter suggested, surprising himself.

“Really?” Angel paused to consider his offer, “Okay that’s a date but I can’t guarantee you a straightforward answer,” Angel replied.

“Good because even bad cops like complications, see you later, bye all.” With that Peter left the Diner.

“Not even been here twenty four hours and already got a date huh darl?” Irene teased.

“It’s not like that Irene and you know it. God I feel mortified Shane making me spill his coffee like that!” Angel explained, “he probably feels sorry for me!”

“I doubt that somehow girlie.” Irene handed Angel her drinks and Angel paid for them.

“See you later,” she said before heading back to her table and leaving Irene shaking her head fondly. Neither of them noticed Leah who had been watching the incident unobserved from the kitchen cubby-hole and for some reason that she could not explain, was now feeling eaten up with jealousy towards Angel.

“We should do that every morning don’t you think babe?” Kirsty and Kane were walking up the short drive to their house having taken Matthew on a walk along the front.

“Yeah it was great,” Kane agreed.

“We’re so lucky you know Kane, I can’t believe everything has worked out so well for us. Hey babe, did you forget to lock the door this morning?” she asked suddenly and Kane followed her gaze towards the house where the door was ajar.

“I thought I’d locked it, wait here,” Kane instructed, quickening his pace towards the door.

“Be careful!” Kirsty called after him but Kane was beyond listening, he pushed open the door and made his way inside. Looking around him he could see nothing out of place, the TV was still there and the stereo, surely a sign that they hadn’t been burgled. Quickly he checked every room but there was no sign of anything out of place or anyone around so he returned to Kirsty.

“There’s no-one here babe, I must have just forgot to lock the door,” Kane told her, confused.

“You’ll have to be more careful,” Kirsty chided as he helped her push Matthew’s pram into the house. She made her way into the kitchen and Kane was about to shut the door when a young boy ran up to him and handed him a letter.

“What’s this?” he demanded.

“Dunno sir, that man just paid me a fiver to hand it to you,” the boy explained pointing down the street, Kane looked up but could see nobody around.

“Which man?” Kane demanded.

“I dunno Sir, he’s gone now,” the boy replied and took off before Kane could question him further. Kane fingered the envelope, something was not right here but he just couldn’t put his finger on what.

“Do you want a cup of tea babe?” Kirsty called from the kitchen.

“Yes please,” Kane replied but his mind was on the letter. Quickly he opened it and pulled out two folded pieces of paper. The first he recognised instantly as a Prison visiting order and his stomach knotted, angrily he binned it before unfolding the other piece of paper.

“Oh babe look what’s happened!” Kirsty came into the room and Kane quickly hid the letter in his pocket. In her hand was a photo and he recognised it instantly as the new one they had just had taken of the three of them, she passed it to him. “It was on the floor, it must have fallen off the mantelpiece with the door being open and the glass has smashed. I’ll have to see if I can pick up a new frame tomorrow.” Leaving the photo with him she returned to the kitchen whistling absent-mindedly. Kane looked down at the photo and saw she was right, the glass had smashed but it was only a small smash, just over where Kirsty sat in the photo. Suddenly something jolted in Kane’s memory and he retrieved the folded piece of notepaper from his pocket. It was a short note, in unfamiliar handwriting but its sender was clear enough, as was its message. ‘Remember what I warned you, see you tomorrow’ it read and suddenly everything clicked into place for Kane. He hadn’t left the door open, somebody had been in the house and they had deliberately smashed the photo. The same person had paid the young boy to deliver the note and it’s threat, ‘remember what I warned you’. Kane’s mind went back to the visit he had paid to his father and his final words rang like a siren inside Kane’s head; ‘your pretty little wife will regret it if you don’t’. It was a warning, Kirsty would pay if Kane didn’t do what Gus wanted, the photo was smashed directly over her face, a sign of what he intended to do to her. The entry to their house proved that Gus could easily get to them and the visiting order was clear that if Kane did not do as he asked and visit him in prison then Kirsty would pay. Kane felt his blood run cold; there was no way he wanted to get involved in one of Gus’s dodgy deals again but it really didn’t look like he had any other choice, he would do anything to protect Kirsty, anything at all.

Sutty angrily punched his fist repeatedly into the sand as he sat on the summer bay beach, mobile in hand, waiting for the pre-arranged phone call. Everything had gone to plan, the threat had been delivered just as Gus had intended but it did not make Sutty feel good about himself, in fact it was just the opposite. The argument he had had with Jesse before he left the prison had been circulating over and over inside his head, Jesse was a good guy and if he said that Kane Philips didn’t deserve what Gus was doing to him then he was telling the truth. The trouble was that Sutty was so terrified of what Gus would do to his mother if he didn’t do as he asked that there seemed no alternative to what Gus wanted him to do. For a minute Jesse’s suggestion came into his head but he instantly dismissed it. Kane Philips might be a decent guy but so was Jesse and when it came down to it, Jesse was the one the Sutty knew, the one he felt close to and the effects of hurting Kane would not have any rebounds on Sutty except to make him feel bad. To take Jesse up on his offer would probably mean additional time and a lifetime of torment for Jesse and Sutty was simply not willing to put him through that. His mobile rung and Sutty answered, feeling apprehensive and unsure of what the call would hold.

“Hello?” he answered nervously.

“Did you do it?” Gus demanded.

“Yes everything went to plan,” Sutty replied.

“Good, good,” came back the response.

“Well it I can’t say it was nice knowing you but enjoy the rest of your time inside,” Sutty told him.

“Sounds like you’re leaving me already,” Gus replied.

“Well the job’s finished, I’ve done what you wanted,” Sutty told him.

“No you haven’t. You let me down Sutton, you told McGregor about our little plan when I specifically told you not to say a word,” Gus said, his voice low and menacing.

“I didn’t tell him, he guessed!” Sutty protested.

“Do you think I really care? Well luckily for you I sorted our little mess out, your good friend is banged up down the block for the foreseeable future so he can’t harm us. You on the other hand, you let me down.”

“I didn’t, I…”

“I don’t want to hear excuses. Your instructions are to stay in Summer Bay and keep a discreet eye on that son of mine, I want instant notification if he attempts to take off with that little family of his. If everything goes well he should visit me tomorrow and I’ll have further instructions for you, say five o’clock,” Gus explained.

“You said one job and this’d be over!” Sutty protested, angrily.

“That was before you betrayed me, this isn’t over until I say so. Say hi to mummy for me. Five o’clock.” The phone was hung up and Sutty angrily threw it away from him, sinking his head in his hands. Jesse had been right, everything he said had been right and now Sutty was trapped like a puppet with no way to escape and Gus pulling the strings. There was no way out and worst of all Jesse was banged up down the block so there was nobody he could confide in, nobody he could talk to and it was all his own fault. There was nobody to blame but himself and with that thought a solitary tear slipped down his cheek; what the hell had he got himself into?

This fic is brilliant. LOVE the Angel/Peter tension, I honestly did not see that coming, and Don being back :)Also, a fic should always have a little Kim/Kit, I hope that ends well. You are such a good writer. :D

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Selina leant back against a tree and caught her breath. A quick glance at her watch revealed that she had been walking for almost an hour but she had been so deep in thought she hadn’t realised how quickly time had passed. Looking around her, she instantly recognised the area, despite not having seen it in years. She was just south of Mangrove River in an area which, she realised suddenly, was within minutes of where Irene had said this Believer’s camp was situated. All morning she had been musing what to do about this Tasha girl. Her head agreed with Irene and Stephen, it was telling her not to get involved but her heart was telling her that she had to do something. She knew what it was like to be brainwashed by these types of people, to believe that they were good and honest when really they weren’t. Her thoughts had repeatedly strayed to her time at the hands of Saul, to when he kidnapped her, to how he had prevented her first wedding to Stephen, of his death at the hands of Teri Garner. She felt haunted by him even after all this time but what really tormented her was what would have happened if Teri hadn’t have shot him dead? In those few hours they had developed an understanding, she had begun to see good in him and it still tormented her that if Teri hadn’t have killed him maybe her life would have been very different. Still she was happy with her lot; she did truly love Stephen and was excited about their baby but she was also terrified. What if something happened to this baby? Maddy, her child by Damien had died long before birth and then losing Tommy in such a terrible, tragic accident had almost broken Selina and she could not help but remember the comfort she had taken from Saul during those dark times. She felt so guilty and could not stop wondering if Tommy might have lived if she had done more to save Saul from being shot by Teri. Angrily she shook her head. This was why these sorts of people were so dangerous, they got inside a person’s head and there was no way Selina was going to let it happen to another girl and certainly not one that Irene cared about. Poor Irene, she had been through so much and had given so much to other people’s children in order to make amends for what had happened with her own, she deserved an easy life. It seemed she was happy with this Barry guy and he seemed nice enough but Selina was convinced that Irene was more worried about this Tasha than she was letting on. Her mind made up, Selina quickened her pace until she found herself in easy view of the very destination her sub-conscious had been leading her to. She stood for a moment and then headed into the camp.

“Can I help you?” a young girl was instantly in front of her, her demeanour openly hostile.

“Yes please I’d like to speak to Tasha,” Selina replied, realising guiltily that she did not even know the girl’s second name.

“What do you want with Tasha? Who are you?” the girl had been joined by another young man who’s expression was equally hostile.

“I’m a friend of a friend and I just want to talk to her, I promise I mean no harm,” Selina explained.

“What’s going on?” a pretty young girl with long blonde hair had joined the now growing crowd.

“Nothing Tash,” the boy told her with a smile, he glared at Selina.

“Are you Tasha?” Selina asked.

“Who are you?” Tasha replied.

“I’m a friend of Irene’s I wondered if I might talk to you? About Irene?” Selina added.

“About Reenie? Is she ill?” Tasha asked.

“No nothing like that but she is unhappy. Could we talk Tasha?” Selina asked.

“I guess.” Tasha shrugged and smiled reassuringly at the young boy who had seemed so protective of her, “it’s okay Jonah,” she assured him and he managed a weak smile in reply.

“Thanks,” Selina told her.

“Come in here,” Tasha offered, pulling open the flap of a tent and leading Selina inside. “So what’s up with Reenie?” she asked as they were seated.

“To be honest Tash she misses you,” Selina explained.

“She can always come visit me,” Tasha replied.

“Yes but it can be a bit intimidating coming here you know,” Selina explained gently.

“They were a bit worried because the police where here earlier,” Tasha defended them.

“What did the police want?” Selina asked.

“They were after my boyfriend, my ex-boyfriend Robbie, I don’t know why,” Tasha amended. “These are nice people, they’ve been good to me,” she protested.

“I know that Tasha but have you ever asked yourself why they’re nice to you? I used to be involved in a cult just like this one, they helped me you see when I lost my baby and they seemed so good that I believed everything they said,” Selina explained. Tasha shook her head but she was intrigued.

“What happened?” she asked, almost not wanting to know.

“Well they turned out to be very bad, they were using me. The leader Saul, well he wanted me for his own ends if you understand me,” Selina replied.

“I don’t get it,” Tash replied and Selina’s heart melted, this girl was as innocent as they came.

“They wanted me to have his child and would force me if necessary,” Selina spelt it out as gently as she could.

“These people aren’t like that. Mamma Rose, she helps people,” Tasha protested.

“I know it seems like that…” Selina paused as the tent was opened and a woman walked in.

“Hello I’m Mamma Rose and you are?” she asked.

“Selina Matheson,” Selina replied, shaking the woman’s outstretched hand.

“Selina, we’re very pleased to have you here. Can I get you a drink or something?” she offered.

“Oh no thank you, I probably should go.” Selina realised she was unlikely to be able to speak more with Tasha while this woman was around and it was nearing lunchtime so soon Stephen would be finished at the Gym and would miss her.

“That’s a shame my dear, can we not tempt you to stay until lunch?” Mamma Rose asked sweetly.

“Thank you but I’d better go, maybe I can come see you again tomorrow Tasha?” Selina asked. The younger girl looked unsure but Mamma Rose quickly answered for her.

“Of course you must, I insist on it and tomorrow you shall stay for dinner with us,” Mamma Rose pressed.

“Okay, thanks.” Selina was surprised at how friendly the woman was considering the hostility she had encountered earlier but it was a good opportunity to get to know Tasha and build up her trust. “I’ll see you tomorrow than Tash, think on what I said.” She stood up to leave the tent.

“You will come back to us tomorrow?” Mamma Rose demanded of her once they were outside.

“I said so didn’t I?” Selina retorted, “bye.” Feeling more puzzled by the minute Selina left the camp, her every step observed by Mamma Rose.

“Was it her Mamma?” Jonah approached her side.

“Yes child it was,” she replied.

“Then why did you let her go?” he asked, puzzled.

“Patience dear, she’ll be back tomorrow, we have to be clever about this. Tomorrow it’s to be.” With that Mamma Rose swept off to her own tent, a permanent smile on her face.

From his distant hiding place Robbie watched the young girl leave the camp. All day he had been watching and waiting for an opportunity to see Tasha and now one had presented itself. As quickly and softly as he could Robbie chased after the stranger and managed to stop her about ten minutes away from the camp.

“Hi my name’s Robbie Hunter, I know you don’t know me but I need…”

“Robbie? You’re Tasha’s ex-boyfriend?” Selina interrupted.

“Yes, how did you know?” Robbie asked.

“Tasha mentioned you,” Selina replied.

“Really?” Selina felt sorry for him as his eyes lit up, he obviously still loved her.

“Yeah do you know the police have been looking for you?” Selina asked.

“The police were looking for me?” he repeated, incredulously.

“Yes, why is that?” Selina demanded.

“Long story, listen you got to speak to Tash, I was wondering if maybe you’ll pass her a message from me, can you tell her…” Robbie barrelled on.

“Look I don’t want to get involved between you and Tasha I want her to trust me,” Selina explained.

“Why?” Robbie felt like the wind had gone completely out of his sails.

“For Irene’s sake, I want to get her out of there,” Selina replied.

“You know Irene?”

“I was one of her first foster children and I care about her, she’s worried sick about Tasha,” Selina explained.

“We all are. So what makes you think you can get through to her when everyone she loves has failed?” Robbie demanded.

“Because I understand, I was involved in one of these cults once so I know what it’s like to be under their spell,” Selina explained.

“So you’re going to talk to her? Get her out of there?” Robbie demanded, excitedly.

“I’m going to try. Anyway now that I’ve been honest with you how about you tell me that long story which means the police are searching summer bay for you?” Selina suggested.

“I don’t think…” Robbie began to say it was none of her business but then she stopped. If she was with Irene in trying to help Tash then she couldn’t be too bad and maybe it would be good to get things off his chest, get an adult opinion. Decision made Robbie opened up and told Selina everything.

“Thanks so much for that mate, you did really well,” Kim praised Stephen as he waved goodbye to the parents and pupils from his last Karate class.

“Thanks, do you know I really enjoyed that and I never thought I would,” Stephen replied.

“You were a natural. Here you go.” Kim handed Stephen some cash.

“Oh that’s not necessary,” he protested.

“I insist, seriously you’ve earned it,” Kim told him and smiling Stephen thanked him.

“Kim I want a word now.” A young girl burst into the Gym and Stephen noted the stubborn expression on her face and somehow felt sorry for his new colleague.

“It’s okay, Pippa and Don are waiting in the Diner for me so I’ll make myself scarce,” Stephen replied in answer to Kim’s silent, apologetic look. Quickly he picked up his bag and exited the Gym leaving Kim to angrily confront the girl in front of him.

“Did you have to be so rude?” he demanded angrily.

“Did you?” she retorted and Kim looked at her, confused.

“What are you on about Kit?” he demanded.

“The other night or have you forgotten already? You. Kissed. Me. Remember?” she emphasised.

“Oh that.” Kim turned his back on her making her angrier.

“Don’t turn your back on me! What’s the deal with kissing me and running off, I at least deserve an explanation Kim and yesterday that incident with the Doctor. Just what is going on because I won’t be messed around Kim, I’m sick of guys messing me around!” Kim turned to look at her, her eyes were glistening with anger, her mouth was set in a stubborn line and her whole body language was openly hostile which just made him want to break down through her defences but he resisted the urge.

“Look it’s complicated Kit. Before you returned I kind of had a thing with Rachel, the Doctor but that’s complicated because I’m her patient so she’ll be breaking some ethical rule or something. There was nothing between you and me,” Kim began to explain.

“Fine then.” Kit turned on her heel and fled. Kim threw his files onto the counter and raced after her.

“Kit wait, for god’s sake wait!” he managed to catch her and pulled her round, she glared at him angrily. “You didn’t let me finish,” he accused.

“Give me one good reason why I should?” she demanded.

“Because since you came back I’ve realised that my feelings for you have never really gone away, does that satisfy you?” he demanded. Unable to resist any longer he pulled her into a deep and passionate kiss and it took only minutes before Kit’s body failed her and she responded.

“So what now?” she asked, almost shyly as she pulled away from him.

“I don’t know, I just know I want to be with you,” he told her realising suddenly that it was the truth.

“What about the Doctor?” Kit asked.

“Yes that’s a good question, what about the Doctor?” Kit and Kim turned guiltily to see a very angry and hurt looking Rachel, hands on hips, watching them and awaiting an explanation.

“You know Pip it was so good to get back into the Karate again. Do you remember when I first came to live with you and Tom and I kept it a secret because I was ashamed?” Stephen asked.

“Yes I remember, you were worried about Frank. He did act quite cruelly to you though,” Pippa smiled, remembering.

“Yeah but when he finally found out about my karate he was impressed and it came in handy, it was how I befriended Bobby,” he replied.

“Yeah,” Pippa agreed thoughtfully and Donald retreated into his own thoughts about the daughter he had finally grown to love and then lost.

“So how’s Sally?” Stephen asked Pippa.

“Still not good. I can barely get a word out of her, she’s so lost in her own world and for some reason she seems to only feel emotion towards Ric, it’s like she hates him, poor kid,” Pippa explained.

“It’s so unlike Sally to act like that,” Donald remarked.

“You know who it is like though don’t you?” Stephen asked, he met Pippa’s eyes and she nodded.

“I know, a few people have said it, she’s reacting exactly the same way I did when I lost Tom and Michael,” Pippa replied.

“When you lost Tom it was me you seemed to be angry with. I’d been in the front of the car with him remember? And when Michael died it was Jack you couldn’t speak to and he was the one who had hold of Michael in the river. It’s possible that Sally is doing the same,” Stephen told her.

“I guess but Ric wasn’t with Flynn when he died, Sally was,” Pippa argued.

“But didn’t you say that Ric bought that girl into the house and she scared him and that was why he fell?” Stephen suggested.

“Yeah she admitted to that because she felt so guilty, poor kid and it was an accident. I guess it’s possible that she’s blaming him for it,” Pippa replied.

“If I remember rightly though Pippa you took your time to snap out of your grief, there was nothing anyone could say to you,” Donald spoke up.

“Yes I know, I just hate seeing Sally like this. I can appreciate now how hard it must have been for you all when I was like that,” Pippa replied, “when Michael died I think it was Angel who finally bought me out of my grief because she’d just lost Shane so we grieved together.”

“Maybe Angel would have a word with her then?” Donald suggested.

“I don’t think that would help. Shane died a long time ago just as Michael did so neither of us feels that grief the way we did back then,” Pippa replied.

“I guess. Do you think I should try talking to her? I know losing a son isn’t the same as losing a husband but I’m still raw from losing Tommy. I can see now why Selina was so tormented when she lost her first child, why she turned to that cult for help. I’m worried about her you know,” Stephen admitted.

“How do you mean?” Pippa asked.

“Well you know the child Irene fostered? Tasha I think she’s called. Well she’s got herself involved in this cult type thing and Selina wants to go talk to her and tell her how bad these people are but me and Irene don’t want her going anywhere near them,” Stephen explained.

“That’s understandable after the harm they caused last time,” Donald remarked.

“I know but I’m worried she’ll go anyway and she’s not long lost Tommy, I can’t help worrying that she’ll be as susceptible to them this time as she was then,” Stephen admitted.

“I don’t think you have to worry on that score. Selina learned her lesson, she’s older now and stronger, she won’t get involved again,” Pippa reassured him.

“I hope you’re right Pip,” Stephen told her but he was not convinced, “so is the roumer mill correct that Angel already has a date?”

“Where did you hear that?” Pippa asked.

“The woman behind the counter, Colleen is it? She seemed to think that Angel is seeing some Police Officer tonight,” Stephen said.

“Really is that true?” Pippa asked of Donald.

“Sort of but it wasn’t really like that…” Donald protested.

“Do tell,” Pippa urged and Donald needed no further invitation to tell them what had happened earlier that morning.

Archived