Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your great comments. I used to read fanfics on this forum all the time as a guest before I signed up but I never appreciated how scary it actually was to put something up here and just how much the feedback is appreciated until now so thanks.

I love writing for Irene, Kirsty and Kane, I find them so easy to create dialogue for but I've concentrated on them a little too much over the past few chapters so this one picks up on some of the other characters again. there'll be more Irene and K/K soon though - promise.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

“Martha give yourself a break, you’re going to run yourself into the ground,” Jack urged. He was using his day off to help with the search for Ric but Martha was so far away she barely even noticed he was present.

“Ric’s out there here Jack, I’ve got to keep going,” Martha insisted.

“Well at least have something to eat then, you must be starving.” Jack pulled the sandwiches Colleen had given them from his backpack and handed her some, which she reluctantly ate. “He’ll be okay you know,” Jack reassured her.

“How do you know? It’s been two nights, three days, how many people can survive that?” Martha demanded.

“It’s been known Martha, Colleen was telling me about that cruise boat they had here a few years back and how a good few people including Irene and Sally were missing for days but they turned up safe and well,” Jack explained.

“He’s right you know,” Rachel who had been nearby smiled reassuringly.

“Yeah well…” Martha’s retort was cut off by the Search Officer leading the team.

“Right guys, we’re taking a short break and I want everybody to eat something and drink loads of water, we’ve been asked to take the route down from the cliff and check out the rocks but it’s dangerous stuff and only those with special training will be going down. The rest of you will be needed to stay on the cliffs and visually scan for anything out of the ordinary and shout down directions as to where we should look. Right we're going to split up into twos, one person to go down the rocks and another to stay on the cliff, the rescue chopper will be circling overhead. If there’s any trouble the person on the rocks should call out, their buddy on the cliff will alert the team co-ordinator, that’s going to be Mike and he will alert the rescue helicopter. Right teams, Rachel you’re with me, Jack you can go with Martha, Tony you buddy for Officer Newton, Kim were you the final trained personnel?” he asked.

“Yeah Jesse sent me on a course when he first took over at the gym,” Kim explained, his eyes on Rachel but she looked away.

“Right well you’re the final person to go down to the cliff and Miss Hunter will buddy you.” Kim looked at Kit who smiled brightly at him. He had been surprised when she had joined the rescue at mid-afternoon and more surprised that she was showing no emotion whatsoever about her Grandfather’s death. In fact she had been the life and soul of the team, laughing, cracking jokes and generally chattering on but Kim couldn’t help feeling she was hiding her true feelings. Despite that, he was enjoying her company but the only blot on the horizon was that since her arrival Rachel had become distinctly cold with him and now having heard that he was to be working with Kit, Rachel would not even look at him. “Right lets make a start then, the areas you’re to comb are on the maps that Mike will give you.” Kim listened to the last of the instructions and turned his thoughts away from both women to focus on the job at hand.

“This better be important.” There was no greeting, no welcome as Morag Bellingham burst into the Police Cell and seated herself down, she glared at the woman sat opposite her.

“It is, really important,” Amanda replied.

“Well it better be because my nephew is still missing and I don’t have time to waste on your silly little games,” Morag replied.

“It is important,” Amanda insisted.

“So dazzle me then,” Morag snapped.

“Kit Hunter’s lying, she’s trying to set me up,” Amanda explained.

“Why should I care?” Morag demanded.

“Because you’re probably the only person who can get her to tell the truth,” Amanda replied.

“This is a conversation you should be having with Kit Hunter,” Morag remarked, dryly.

“I’ve tried but she won’t listen, please Morag you’re my only hope, you’ve spoke with her, you’re a clever woman you must know she’s lying,” Amanda demanded.

“So what if I do?” Morag replied, evasively.

“You could make her tell the truth, I know you could. You’re so good at those sort of things,” Amanda said.

“Don’t try to sweet talk me Miss Vale,. Your little tricks don’t work on me,” Morag snapped.

“Fine, well what about if I was to make it worth your while?” Amanda asked.

“Like how?”

“I could pay you,” Amanda offered.

“Be very careful Miss Vale, I do not take kindly to bribery,” Morag warned, Amanda took a deep breath. “Is that all you have to offer? I warned you not to waste my time.”

“I’m not, there’s something else but if I tell you, you have to get me out of here, promise me?” Amanda asked.

“It depends what you’re going to offer me,” Morag replied.

“Project 56, the evidence,” Amanda offered.

“Well, well, well, how the cornered worm turns. You're really showing your true colours now aren't you? Okay Miss Vale we have a deal but these are the conditions. I will talk to Miss Hunter and ask her if she’ll change her statement. She’ll come to you and confirm that she’s willing to change it, then you give me the details and once I have the evidence Miss Hunter will change her statement,” Morag explained.

“But I…”

“Take it or leave it, it’s on my terms or not at all,” Morag replied.

“Okay, we’ll do it.” Morag held out her hand and begrudgingly Amanda shook it.

“So you got into drugs huh?” Kit asked of Kim as he prepared to drop down onto the cliffs, Kim was taken aback by the sudden question but he reminded himself that kit was reknowned for her bluntness.

“Yeah for awhile, I guess I was upset about baby Noah,” he explained awkwardly.

“Don’t make excuses, at least not to me, I’m the addiction Queen remember?” Kit replied, smiling.

“You know last time you were in the Bay did Amanda really spike you or did you just fall off the wagon?” Kim asked.

“Would you believe me if I told you she did?” Kit asked.

“That’s not an answer but I’d like to think there’s enough between us that we can be honest with each other,” Kim told her.

“Honest huh?” Kit studied his face for a minute and cursed herself for still fancying him, “honestly? She spiked me and as a result of it I fell off the wagon.” Kit met his eyes as she told him and Kim nodded, whatever her faults Kit was no liar.

“Amanda’s got a lot to answer for, guess she’s getting what she deserves now huh?” Kim remarked.

“Guess so.” All of a sudden Kit felt uncomfortable. She had given the Police her statement and was pretty sure that her neighbour Jack had believed her but earlier she had been confronted by Morag Bellingham and was under no illusions whatsoever that The Judge knew she was lying. Fortunately such was her hatred for Amanda that she was ‘prepared to go along with it’ but knowing that someone had broken through her lies so easily made Kit feel uneasy and now Kim was talking about honesty? At this moment in time Kit was pretty sure she had forgotten what it meant. “So you and the Doc huh?” In true Kit style she changed the subject and took an opportunity to make Kim squirm.

“There’s nothing going on Kit,” he replied, warily.

“But you’d like there to be,” Kit remarked.

“Maybe,” Kim half grinned at her, “I’m her patient,” he explained.

“Ah that old ethical thing, I had that problem with Noah and also the fact that he still loved Hayley but then who isn’t in love with Hayley?” Kit’s blatant dig was not missed by Kim who turned to look at his ex-girlfriend but when she refused to meet his gaze he decided to let the matter drop and concentrated instead on getting a good foothold.

From across the cliff face Rachel was watching with interest, her eager eyes noticed the conversation between them, the little secret smiles that passed between them and the way Kim was staring at Kit. It was blatantly obvious they still had feelings for each other and after all they were the same age. Rachel shook her head angrily, what had she been thinking, getting involved with a teenager and one who was her patient?

“Ow!” Greg Bailey the Police Team Leader let out a shout and Rachel realised she had been gripping the rope that connected them far too tightly.

“Sorry Sir!” Rachel concentrated on focusing her mind on the job in hand but it was not easy with a certain blonde, haired boy invading her mind.

In contrast Martha McKenzie was incredibly focused on the job in hand, almost too focused, Jack thought. She was like a robot launching herself from one thing to the next, shouting directions and orders like it was a race and tugging at the rope over every minuscule thing that she saw out of place on the rocks. Jack knew he was distracted worrying about her and probably not paying full attention to the job in hand so he re-focused his vision but as he did so he caught his foot and fell. He let out a cry of pain.

“Jack!” Martha cried.

“I’m okay I’ve hurt my ankle though,” he called back.

“Can you get back or do you need help?”

“I’m okay it was just a knock.” Using an overlarge boulder for support Jack pulled himself to his feet and leaned for a minute to catch his breath and test how much weight his throbbing ankle would hold. He turned his head to look up and reassure Martha he was okay when something caught his eyes; inside a narrow crevice, hidden by a collection of bounders Jack saw blue material. Gingerly and still holding the boulders for support he edged his way along towards the material and as he got closer to the crevice it became clear that the blue material was attached to a body, one almost as blue in colour as the material and a face that was bashed and bruised but there was no mistaking who it was.

“Martha I found Ric, call for help!” Jack shouted up to her and after a second’s stunned silence the quiet stillness of the cliffs was pierced by the sound of Martha McKenzie screaming and shouting at the top of her voice. Confident that help was coming Jack eased his way closer to Ric and for the second time in a few days a sense of foreboding overwhelmed him.

AUTHORS NOTE

I have absolutely no knowledge of the procedure during a Search and Rescue so I've made everything up to fit the story, ie. Kim being specially trained. Hope it's not too unrealistic.

CHAPTER TWELVE

“…IC one male, other passenger on the boat sinking the other day, two nights, three days in water, possible hypothermia, severe injuries to the face, head, neck….” The Ambulance Attendant’s running commentary to the Doctor was shut off from a distraught Martha as Ric was wheeled through the double doors and straight into Theatre. Martha sank defeated onto one of the cold hospital chairs and put her head in her hands. Jack put his arm reassuringly around her shoulder but he felt haunted by Ric’s ghostly appearance and not at all confident of his chances.

“Your Grandfather is on his way,” Jack told her, at a loss for anything else to say.

“I know that, I was there when they radioed remember? God Jack he looked so sick, like he was dead.” Martha burst into angry sobs and Jack took her in his arms.

“Sssh let it out,” he soothed.

“I know I’ve not known Ric very long but he is my cousin and if anything happens to him…”

“Martha, where is he?” Alf burst through the doors and Martha flew into his arms, a breathless Morag was right behind them.

“He’s in Surgery Mr Stewart, they’ve not told us anything yet but I’m sure they will when there’s news,” Jack explained.

“Flamin’ Doctors never tell you anything!” Alf fumed.

“Ssh Alfred, there’s no point causing a scene as Jack says we’ll know soon enough,” Morag replied but her cool, outward demeanour was hiding a seriously frightened woman, “has anyone phoned Sally?” she asked.

“Why? It’s not like she cares for Ric, she hasn’t once bothered to ask about him!” Martha protested, angrily.

“Never the less she is still his legal guardian and as such should be contacted,” Morag insisted.

“Well that’s one thing that should be changed as soon as Ric comes round,” Martha snapped.

“Lets not be hasty now love, Sal’s still grieving and it’s not her fault Ric took the boat out now is it?” Alf replied, “it’s the fault of that flamin’ Sheila he’s been hanging around with.”

“If anything happens to Ric I’ll kill her!” Martha announced causing Morag to frown at her.

“I’ll go phone Sally shall I?” Jack offered, he paused as a nurse raced past them and into the Operating Theatre. As the double doors banged open to admit her the Doctor’s voice could be heard.

“And again charging three sixty, one, two, three…”

“Still no output, his BP’s dropping, he’s been not responding for several minutes now, there’s not much more we can do….” As the doors banged shut again the words of the second voice registered and those assembled in the waiting room went cold.

“Kirst, Kirst, they’ve found Ric, I just saw them bring him in. He looks real bad though!” Kane announced to his wife as he entered her room but as he looked at her yawning and rubbing her eyes, he felt instantly guilty for waking her. “Sorry babe.”

“It’s okay, I must have dropped off waiting for you to get back, why were you so long?” Kirsty demanded.

“There was a massive queue in the shop,” Kane replied, from behind his back he pulled out a huge bouquet of flowers.

“Oh babe you didn’t need to buy me flowers!” Kirsty announced.

“I know I didn’t but I want to, you deserve them and anyway it means we can bin those.”

“Kane,” Kirsty warned, quickly picking up on the disapproval in his voice as he removed Gus’s flowers and binned them before putting the fresh ones in the vase.

“That’s better,” he replied, “hey I wonder where they found Ric? Hope he’s okay, I know I wasn’t keen on him when he first arrived, remember how upset you and I lost it with him? He’s a nice kid nowadays though and fancy him being related to Mr Stewart all that time.”

“Babe,” Kirsty interrupted, she fixed him with hard look.

“I haven’t changed my mind, I’m not going,” Kane insisted.

“Did you not even think about what I said?” Kirsty demanded.

“Sure I did but I can think till I’m blue in the face and I’m still not going. Babe he did so much damage. I nearly lost you, all those months on the run, I’m not going to prison to listen to some **** and bull story,” Kane replied.

“But what if it means we can finally put him in the past?” Kirsty asked.

“He is in the past babe,” Kane insisted.

“No, no he’s not Kane, he sent us that note and that puts him back here with us, he’s not going to be in the past until you go and see him,” Kirsty argued.

“He’s only here if we let him Kirst,” Kane replied, Kirsty shook her head. “Will I ever hear the last of it if I don’t go?”

“Na ah,” Kirsty fixed him with her best puppy dog expression and Kane, who loved her to distraction gave in.

“Okay, anything for an easy life,” he agreed.

“You mean you’ll go and see him?” Kirsty asked.

“If you want me to,” Kane replied.

“I do,” Kirsty finished.

“You know I love you don’t you babe?” Kane asked, his face serious.

“I love you too, now are you going to get off my bed before you crumple the sheets?” Kirsty asked, attempting to lighten the tone.

“Oh like that is it? You’re gonna pay for that!” he climbed onto the bed next to her and kissed her, both of them laughing.

“Alf, is there any news?” Pippa and Cassie had just entered the waiting area.

“No, not yet, where’s Sal?” Alf demanded.

“She didn’t feel up to it,” Pippa covered.

“You mean she doesn’t care!” Martha snapped.

“Martha!” Alf warned her but Martha’s face remained stubborn, “sorry Pip.”

“No need, we’re all worried,” Pippa replied. The double doors opened and the Doctor emerged.

“Hello I’m Doctor Helpman, are you Ric’s family?” he asked.

“Yes, I’m his Granddad, what’s news Doc?” Alf asked.

“I’m afraid it’s not good news. Ric’s heart stopped on the operating table,” Alf lowered his head, Jack hugged Martha tighter and Cassie burst into tears, “we managed to revive him,” all eyes fixed back on the Doctor, “but he has severe internal injuries, hypothermia and his body has been starved of oxygen and fluid.”

“So what does that mean?” Alf asked.

“It means we have to wait and see. He’s stable for now but we won’t know the full extent of his injuries until, if he pulls through,” Doctor Helpman explained.

“What’s the worst case scenario?” Morag demanded.

“Assuming he pulls through, it’s quite possible that he’ll have brain damage.” Cassie burst into noisy sobs on Pippa’s shoulder, Alf’s face drained of colour and Martha took to her heels and ran.

“Give her a minute,” Morag urged Jack, she was shell-shocked by the news. Along the corridor Martha ran but as she passed one of the wards, what she saw made her seethe with anger. She burst into the room and pulled Belle up by the scruff of her neck.

“Martha!” Martha had not noticed that Irene was in the room and she was too angry to register why but she hit out at her as the older woman tried to pull her off Belle.

“No Irene, Ric might die because of her and even if he does come round he might have brain damage because of her and I’m meant to act like nothing’s happened?!” With every word she spoke Martha shook Belle harder and Irene tried harder to pull her off.

“For God’s sake girlie have you lost you mind?” Irene desperately pulled at Martha’s arm.

“Martha love.” Alf, Jack and Morag entered the room having heard the commotion from down the corridor and it took their combined strength to pull Martha off.

“She’s crazy!” Belle exclaimed as she was released and breathlessly sunk back into the bed.

“You’re the crazy one!” Martha was gone again in full fury but the combined strength of Alf and Jack prevented her from reaching her target.

“I should sue her!” Belle announced.

“Don’t push your luck young lady,” Morag cautioned, “in case you’ve forgotten, your careless actions may have cost the life of my nephew so you’ll watch what you say! Come Martha.” Morag gave Belle a withering glare and helped Jack to lead Martha from the room. Alf stopped for a second and looked at Belle, he could not find the words to say what was on his mind but the shaking of his head and expression on his face said enough. Furiously he left and Belle sank back into her pillows, sobbing.

“Are you alright girlie?” Irene asked, “did Martha hurt you?” Belle shook her head. “Why on Earth did you go saying all that stuff about suing people? For God’s sake darl, that was your chance to say you were sorry and make amends but instead you go hurlin’ insults about!” Irene scolded.

“I’m sorry,” Belle whispered, tears emerged at the corner of her eyes.

“That makes two of us darl. Look love you have got to sort your attitude out if you want anyone to give you a fair go,” Irene told her.

“Nobody’ll give me a fair go, everybody hates me,” Belle cried.

“Do you want to make it up to them?” Irene asked, Belle nodded.

“But how can I when nobody’ll give me a go? I’ve got nowhere to live, nobody to talk to…”

“You’ve got me ain’t yer? You can stay at mine when you get out of here but I’ll tell you something for nothing sunshine, you better buck your ideas up and try and put things right because if yer let me down you’ll be out on yer ear, do yer understand?” Irene demanded. A grateful Belle managed to nod through her sobs and Irene was left once more in the situation of taking someone in who the whole town hated. Kane had proved she was right, she only hoped that Belle would do the same.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

It had been a restless night for those at the hospital and there was still no change in Ric’s condition. Jack had left late in the night in order to get some sleep before work today and now Morag realised that Ric’s circumstances were unlikely to change in a hurry and the other issues weighing on her mind had to be addressed. With strict instructions that she should be contacted if there was any change and a list of things to pick up for Martha and Alf, Morag got in her car and drove but not to home. Knocking at the Hunter’s door before nine AM was not high on Morag’s wish list of things to do before she died but nevertheless she had to do it. She needed to convince Kit to change her statement and get the Project 56 information so she could finish Josh West. In her present state of mind Morag needed a distraction from worrying about Ric and what was a better way of distracting herself than destroying somebody as vile as Josh? The door was opened by Beth who looked surprised to see her but admitted her nonetheless.

“Sorry to disturb you so early Beth but I’ve been at the hospital and I need to head back there but there’s something I must do before I go,” Morag explained but before Beth could ask what Matilda burst into the room.

“Morag! I thought I heard your voice, how’s Ric?” she asked.

“He’s stable but we won’t know the severity of his injuries until he comes round,” Morag replied.

“Oh God! Well when he does come round will you tell him that I’m thinking of him?” Matilda asked.

“I’ll do that,” Morag replied.

“Mattie aren’t you going to be late?” Beth asked pointedly.

“Oh, yeah, sure.” More than a little curious, Matilda left the house and Beth turned to Morag.

“So what can I help you with?” she asked.

“It’s actually Kit I need to speak to,” Morag replied.

“Oh,” Beth was surprised but knew better than to question Morag further so she disappeared and returned with a pyjama clad and bleary eyed Kit in tow. “I’ll leave you to it.” Beth left and Kit regarded Morag suspiciously.

“I need you to change your statement about Amanda and give her her alibi.” Morag went straight to the point.

“What? Are you crazy? Firstly she’d get off, do you really want her to get away with everything she’s done and secondly wouldn’t I get into trouble for lying? No way, you’re off your rocker!” Kit exclaimed.

“Listen to me Miss Hunter, I have no intention of letting her get away with everything. I’ve struck a deal with Miss Vale, if I get you to change your statement she’ll give me Project 56 and with that I’ll be able to get Josh and Amanda,” Morag explained.

“Why would she give you Project 56 if it implicates her, she’s not that stupid,” Kit demanded.

“I very much doubt she’d implicate herself but I am certain ,” she paused to emphasise the word further, “that with the evidence to Project 56 I can convince Josh to admit to Amanda’s part in it in exchange for saving his own skin.”

“I don’t see how that would get both of them,” Kit remarked.

“Because I have no intention of giving Josh the evidence. The minute I get it from them both we'll go the Police, I'll give josh fake proof and by the time he realises we'll have been to the Police,” Morag explained.

“Not like you to do something so underhand Mrs Bellingham,” Kit replied flippantly.

“Yes well, fair methods don’t work when the enemy is playing dirty and I have been known to play underhand in the past. The point is that at the moment we’re getting Amanda locked up for crime she did not commit when the people who actually killed Mr Walters can turn up at any minute and Josh continues to get away with inflicting Project 56 on this town. I don’t know for certain but I am as sure as I can be that Project 56 will be devastating for the Bay and I mean to stop it with any method I can and bring Amanda and Josh down with it,” Morag explained.

“What about the fact that I’ll be implicating myself to the police, won’t I get into trouble?” Kit asked.

“Not if you tell them that you were drunk and that the reason you lied was because you honestly couldn’t remember what you’d done and you didn’t want your family to know you had fallen off the Wagon. You say that since then you’ve been having flashbacks and remember going round to argue with Amanda, the Police can’t touch you,” Morag explained.

“I can’t, I can’t let my family think I’ve fallen off the wagon again, I can’t do it!” Kit protested.

“You don’t have to, for God’s sake woman, what you say at the Police Station will be confidential, you only say it to keep them off your back. There’s only a handful of people know that you refused to give Amanda an alibi, mainly your family and if you just tell them the truth about wanting to set Amanda up they’ll understand, especially when we finish Amanda and Josh off,” Morag explained.

“The likes of PC Holden from next door will probably hear both stories,” Kit reminded.

“Probably but he is amongst the people who Josh and Amanda have hurt and anyway my granddaughter will sort him out. If anyone starts asking questions you take a short break in the City and we tell people you’ve gone into rehab,” kit opened her mouth to protest, “but I seriously doubt it will come to that,” Morag finished.

“You promise me that if I go though with this, you’ll finish them both and that you’ll be around to protect me from any flack I get from my family and people round here?” Kit demanded.

“I promise,” Morag swore.

“Then I’ll do it, what’s the plan?”

“We’d like to see Miss Vale please?” Morag asked the Officer at the front desk.

“Miss Vale, you mean Mrs Walters, hold on a sec.” Kit cringed at hearing Amanda being called by her Granddad’s name but she pulled herself together as the Officer escorted them into Amanda’s cell.

“Morag, Kit!” the relief on Amanda’s face was obvious as she greeted them. The door slammed behind them and they took a seat, facing the woman they both detested so much.

“I’m willing to go along with the deal that Morag has offered you Amanda. If you give us the details of Project 56 I’ll give you your alibi,” Kit replied.

“You really are something aren’t you?” Amanda smirked at Morag. “What exactly are you going to tell them?” she demanded of Kit.

“That I was drunk and didn’t remember what I did but that I’ve started having flashbacks now,” Kit explained, Amanda laughed.

“Of course everyone would believe that of an alcoholic like you,” she sneered, Kit fidgeted agitatedly in her oversized pockets and then fixed Amanda with a hard look.

“Just tell me one thing, last time I was in the Bay did you spike my drink and plant that flask on me?” Kit asked.

“Of course I did, clever wasn’t it? Nobody believed a word you said, just like they won’t this time around,” Amanda snarled, Kit felt her hackles rising but Morag fixed her with a look so scary that it had been responsible for forcing guilty pleas out of innocent people.

“Project 56 Miss Vale, I want all the details,” Morag demanded, fishing in her Bag for a notebook and pen and at the same time pressing ‘Play’ on the Tape Recorder she had secreted there, an act which Amanda’s keen eyes instantly picked up on but she said nothing.

“Okay it goes like this…” For once in her life Amanda did exactly what was expected of her and gave a full and detailed account of Project 56 including where the evidence was stored and implicating Josh and protecting herself. Morag and Kit left the Cell feeling incredibly pleased with themselves.

“Did you get it?” Kit demanded.

“Yes did you?” Morag shot back.

“Yes, so what now do you want to get that evidence first or go for Josh?” Kit asked.

“Both.” Kit followed Morag’s gaze to where Jack was doing paperwork at his desk, he looked up and saw her.

“Morag, Kit what are you doing here?” he demanded.

“Amanda asked to see us, she wanted to give us some evidence about Project 56,” Morag explained, Kit glared at her but Morag ignored her.

“Why would Amanda give you that evidence?” Jack asked, suspiciously.

“Because I just told her I caught Josh West cheating on her and reminded her that she’s locked up while he’s free to go with whoever he likes,” Morag explained.

“And she gave you evidence on Project 56 because of that?” Jack was even more suspicious now.

“You know Amanda, she’s devious through and through and she can’t stand her pride being hurt like that,” Kit spoke up, Jack regarded her curiously, there was something not right about this situation.

“So what’s the evidence?” he asked.

“We were hoping you would go and check it out for us. She says the evidence is in a safety deposit box, the address is on here and the key is amongst her set of keys which you have in your possession,” Morag explained, handing him a piece of paper with the address on.

“Look I’m not convinced at all by the little story you’ve just told me, there’s obviously far more to this but I’ll go check this out anyway and I warn you to observe the law Mrs Bellingham,” Jack cautioned.

“Indeed I will Officer Holden. Come on Kit.” With that the two women left the Police Station and a suspicious looking Jack.

“PC Rice, I’ve just had a tip-off about something would you come check it out with me?” Jack asked of his colleague, who vacated his desk and followed Jack out the door. Morag and Kit jumped in their individual cars but headed off in the same direction, Josh's office and in her cell Amanda paced the floor nervously.

“Excuse me I need to speak to someone please.” The blonde woman who approached the front desk of the Police Station looked incredibly nervous, her eyes were puffy, like she had been crying and she fidgeted constantly with her hair.

“What is it about please?” The Officer at the desk asked.

“The Hit and Run the one that was in the paper, the man who was killed,” she replied.

“Right, do you have some new information?”

“Yes I know who killed him,” she explained she stepped from one foot to the other and then back again.

“Yes so do we, she’s in custody.”

“No you don’t because I did it, well my husband did, I mean he was driving. Oh God I’m making a mess of this!”

“Sergeant Bellmore I think you should hear this,” the Officer called and the Sergeant headed towards them.

“What is it?” he demanded, irritated that his mid-morning cup of coffee had been interrupted.

“This woman claims she and her husband were behind the hit and run on Graham Walters,” the Officer explained.

“Then you’d better come through to my office,” Sergeant Bellmore replied and the woman followed him anxiously.

I've just added a little section more to the last chapter - I didn't realise I'd left it off until just now. I was intending to put this story on a backburner for a bit because I've got loads of work to do but the next few chapters are practically writing themselves. The next chapter will either be up tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.

Archived