Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the next chapter, I've moved away from my usual format here as this chapter follows one storyline instead of several but as I said earlier it just wrote itself. I've started work on the next chapter which will be back to its usual format.

N.B. You'll probably need to read the extra bit I tagged onto the last chapter in order to make full sense of what is going on.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

“Mrs Walters it must be your lucky day,” Sergeant Bellmore paused at the door of her Cell.

“What do you mean?” Amanda was on her feet.

“You’re free to go. We just need to get your paperwork sorted out and then you’ll be out of here,” he explained, “Constable Reed will see to it for you.” He indicated her towards the front desk where Constable Reed was greeted with a beaming smile.

“Mrs Walters you need to fill this out please,” Constable Reed was in a bad mood, he was long over-due his lunch break and so didn’t return her smile but Amanda was unconcerned.

“This is so good,” she enthused, “of course I always knew I was innocent but to have somebody confirm it!” Amanda was almost beside herself, her scheming had clearly paid off.

“I need you to fill out the form please Mrs Walters,” the Constable repeated.

“Yes, yes.” Amanda took a pen and began filling it out, “So why am I out, is it something to do with Kit Hunter coming in earlier?” Amanda knew she needed to act surprised at her release so the Police thought she knew nothing about it but she was feeling so excited that acting was difficult.

“Kit Hunter? Why would it have anything to do with her?”

“You mean it doesn’t?” Amanda was baffled.

“No, why would it? A woman came in this afternoon and owned up to your husband’s death. She and her husband were arguing behind the wheel and not concentrating so her husband accidentally ran over Mr Walters, when they realised he was dead they panicked and drove off which is what the eyewitness saw and the woman is blonde just like you,” Constable Reed explained.

"So it was nothing to do with Kit?" Amanda repeated.

"I've just told you so haven't I?" Constable Reed was beginning to get irritated.

“Oh my God!” Amanda was horror-struck, "What have I done?” she wailed.

“Excuse me?” That was not the answer Constable Reed had been expecting.

“I need to make a phone call, it’s urgent,” Amanda demanded.

“And you can do once this paperwork is completed.” Constable Reed did not like the attitude she was taking with him.

“I said I need to make it now!” Amanda begged desperately.

“And I said once you fill in the paperwork,” Constable Reed insisted.

“Fine, well you better make it quick then!” Amanda warned and Constable Reed, having taken a great disliking to this beautiful but vile woman, decided he would make the process as long and drawn out as he could.

Morag’s car pulled up outside the Mayor’s offices and Kit’s did exactly the same behind her. The two women alighted and went into the Offices.

“I need to see Mr West please?” Morag asked.

“Do you have an appointment?” his Secretary asked.

“No but it’s important, I assure you he’ll want to hear what I have to say.” His Secretary pressed a button on her phone but as she did so his Office door opened and Josh himself came out.

“Ah Mr West, might I have a minute of your time?” Morag asked.

“I don’t have time for your games Morag, I have a meeting in a few minutes,” Josh replied.

“You’ll have time for this, I assure you.” Morag swept past him into his Office, Kit hot on her heels and an indignant Josh followed.

“You can’t just barge in here…” he began.

“This,” Morag held a tape aloft, “is Amanda explaining exactly what Project 56 is and your involvement in it.” Morag took a seat as Josh’s mouth dropped open.

“What are you up to Morag?” Josh demanded.

“Your little girlfriend sold you out in order to get herself out of Prison,” Morag explained.

“You’re lying, Amanda wouldn’t do that, there’s probably nothing on that tape,” Josh insisted.

“Oh but there is.” Morag took it to the tape deck in the corner, inserted the tape and pressed play, Amanda’s voice could instantly be heard reciting details of Project 56, Morag stopped the tape.

“Fine, what do you want?” Josh demanded and Kit allowed herself a smile, he was clearly rattled.

“I will give you this tape for you to dispose of if you give Amanda up,” Morag replied.

“What so you can go the Police and get both of us?” Josh demanded.

“No I have no intention of going the Police I just want something on record against Amanda in case she sets young Kit up again,” Morag lied.

“And if I give you that, you’ll give me the tape?” Josh demanded.

“Yes.”

“How do I know you haven’t made copies?”

“How could I? We’ve literally come straight from the Station seeing Amanda, any officer would confirm that,” Morag replied.

“Okay I’ll give you what you want on one condition,” Josh said.

“And that is?”

“From now on you stay out of my business,” Josh replied.

“I can promise you that,” Morag replied.

“Okay I’ll tell you then.” Morag smiled and went into her bag to retrieve her notepad and pen and at the same time switch on the tape recorder she carried, an act, which Josh clearly observed. Kit fidgeted nervously in her oversized pockets.

“Right Amanda…”

Twenty minutes later a very pleased with themselves Morag and Kit left Josh’s Offices, the comments he had given them about Amanda were damning and they had left him ripping the reel from the inside of the tape. In the reception of his offices Morag and Kit exchanged goodbyes.

“What are you going to do with that now?” Kit asked.

“I’ll take it to my Solicitor later but first I have to get some things from home and head back the hospital, will you be going the bank?” Morag asked.

“Just as soon as I pop home and see how Mum is,” Kit replied.

“Okay well see you later then,” Morag told her.

“You too, hope Ric gets better,” Kit replied.

“So do I.” The two women parted company. From the door of his Office Josh watched them go and as he did so his phone rang, it was an unknown number.

“Hello Josh West.”

“Josh it’s Amanda!”

“You’ve got a nerve phoning me after you sold me out to save yourself,” Josh snapped.

“No Josh, wait you’ve got to listen...” Amanda protested.

“I don’t have to listen to anything, as it happens I’ve sorted you little mess. I have the conversation Morag taped with you, I got it in exchange for selling you out,” Josh replied, a smirk on his face.

“You did what?” Amanda was horror-struck.

“You heard, Morag wasn’t planning to go the Police with it, I think she just wanted it for a bit of blackmail against you but I’m in the clear,” Josh announced smugly.

“Oh God! They’ve tricked us, you’re not in the clear, not at all, they know about the safety deposit box!” Amanda explained.

“What?” It was Josh’s turn to be horrified.

“Yes, they tricked me, they were meant to get me out of here but it turns out the real person who killed Graham came forward so I was released anyway and now they have evidence against both of us!” Amanda exclaimed.

“How could you be so stupid? We need to act fast. They came straight here from the Police Station and they’ve only just left here. Kit said she was heading the Bank once she’d seen Beth so if I hurry I should be able to get there before her and Morag has the tape of my confession about you. She was going home to get some clothes and then up the hospital. She wasn’t going to take the tape to her Solicitor until later,” Josh explained.

“Right, I’ll go to hers now and get that tape back, you go the bank and take the evidence from the Safety Deposit box and phone me when you have it,” Amanda replied.

“Right.” Josh hung up and raced to his car and Amanda, in the Police Station Car Park put her foot down.

Amanda watched Morag put her bags in her car and drive away from the Diner then she sunk back against a wall and clutched the precious tape in her hand. Picking up her mobile she phoned Josh.

“I got it, how did you go?” she asked him.

“Just pulled up here now but there’s no way Kit could have got here before me so I reckon we’re safe,” he replied.

“Thank God!” Amanda exclaimed.

“Yeah well just make sure you never do this to me again Amanda,” Josh warned.

“I won’t I promise, just glad all ended well,” Amanda replied.

“Yeah, I’ll phone you later, now that Morag has no evidence against you, you need to start working on getting Graham’s money,” Josh explained.

“Okay, I’ll speak to you later then,” Amanda told him. She hung up her phone and dropped the tape into a bin, burying it deep while at the Bank Josh hung up his phone and headed out of his car to retrieve the contents of the Safety Deposit box.

Meanwhile, unbeknown to both of them Jack Hunter returned to the Police Station and looked up to see Kit sat in the Reception area.

“Kit what are you doing here again?” he asked.

“Did you get what was in the box?” Kit demanded.

“Yes and it’s pretty comprehensive but we’ve got nothing to link it to either Josh or Amanda except your say so, I guess I’ll have to just re-interview Amanda,” Jack explained.

”You can’t do that,” Kit said quickly.

“And why’s that?” Jack demanded.

“Because she was released,” Kit explained.

“And I suppose this is all part of some deal you and Morag have been cooking up?” Jack felt his earlier suspicions were now being confirmed.

“No nothing to do with me,” Kit took great pride in saying, “the people who really killed my Granddad came forward but that aside I have the evidence you need to link Josh and Amanda to that document."

“What’s this?” Sergeant Bellmore approached them.

“Earlier Miss Hunter and Mrs Bellingham after speaking to Amanda Walters gave me a tip-off on where to find evidence against Amanda Walters and the Mayor Josh West,” Jack explained. “I checked it out and the file is pretty comprehensive, it contains evidence of bribes, an illegal project, money laundering, illegal funding, abuse of office but we don’t have the evidence to link it 100% to Mrs Walters or Mr West.” Jack handed the file to his Superior Officer.

“But I do,” Kit replied. “This,” she held a tape up,” is Amanda linking Josh to the file and this,” she held up the second tape, “is Josh linking Amanda to it. I think you should have all you need to bring them in,” Kit explained.

“Are you trying to tell me that they both confessed?” Jack demanded.

“Not quite, we tricked them both you see, we told them that the other had given them up so they both got their revenge,” Kit told him.

“So did they know they were being taped?” Sergeant Bellmore demanded.

“Kind of, Morag thought that Josh certainly wasn’t the type to take chances so she made it pretty obvious that she was taping both of them. What they didn’t know was that I also had a tape recorder hidden in these huge pockets of mine and I recorded everything aswell, good job really seen as Morag phoned me a minute ago to say her copies had been stolen,” Kit explained.

“Morag knows as well as I do Kit that evidence obtained by deception is not good enough for a court,” Jack replied.

“It certainly isn’t Miss Hunter,” Sergeant Bellmore reprimanded.

“Look Sir I understand that because we used underhand methods the tapes wouldn’t stand up in court but what they will do is give you plenty on which to start a substantial investigation. The file you have is credible evidence because it was you, PC Holden who obtained it following a tip-off,” Kit explained, remembering what Morag had told her to say.

“Thank you Miss Hunter, we’ll take this from here,” Sergeant Bellmore replied, “this file is comprehensive then PC Holden?”

“Yes Sir, you wouldn’t believe what it contains, we’re dealing with a large number of big deal crimes, this Project 56 is just the icing on the cake, there’s evidence in here of money laundering, bribes, abuse of office,” Jack explained.

“Then we had better start checking it out, PC Watkins, Constable Reed can you both help PC Holden with what he is working on. The minute you have the crucial shred of evidence you come to me and we’ll issue a warrant for the arrest of Mrs Walters and Mr West but tread carefully, this is a big deal,” Sergeant Bellmore explained.

“Yes Sir.” Jack headed off to begin work but as he did so he noticed Kit was still hovering and he winked at her conspiratorily and smiling she left the station.

I've just added a little section more to the last chapter - I didn't realise I'd left it off until just now. I was intending to put this story on a backburner for a bit because I've got loads of work to do but the next few chapters are practically writing themselves. The next chapter will either be up tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.

I was wondering where you found the time!!! :lol: I know when I did my first fic for fanfiction.net I was staying up till the early hours and neglecting stuff so it got a bit mad - now I just take my time.

Great story, love the fast pace and superb dialogue. It really could be an actual script. :D

I suffer from insomnia and have never needed more than a few hours sleep at night so that's when I find time to write but this is taking over me at the moment... I keep getting caught writing it in work! The posts are very regular at the moment because I don't have too much on but they might not stay like that for long because I have two really big cases coming up that will demand all my time so enjoy the regular updates while you can!

Okay here's the next chapter. Please keep all your reviews coming, they're really appreciated and if there's something you think I should change to make it better or more readable I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Kat.xx

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

“You’re a ruddy young fool that’s what you are, what the flamin’ heck where you thinking boy?” Alf Stewart had got over the relief that his grandson was recovering and had now given way to anger over Ric’s irresponsible actions.

“I’m sorry Granddad I just didn’t think,” Ric protested.

“Too flamin’ right you didn’t and now…”

“I think that’s enough for now Granddad, he’s recovering from major surgery, save it hey?” Martha suggested.

“Hmmf,” Alf replied.

“So how are you really feeling?” Martha asked Ric.

“Weird you know, tired and sore and my throat hurts and I can’t feel anything down my left hand side,” he explained.

“How do you mean?” Alf demanded.

“Well my leg, arm, all that side of my body, I can’t move it and there’s no feeling at all,” Ric explained.

“Is that normal?” Alf asked of the nurse who had just entered to do the hourly observations that the Doctor was insisting on.

“It can be, as the Doctor told you, Ric’s brain was starved of oxygen for a while and it’s possible that the part of the bran that controls left handed movement has been damaged,” she explained.

“So will I recover?” Ric asked.

“That’s not for me to say,” she replied, Ric’s face looked horror-struck, “most of these cases resolve themselves,” she added.

“But not all?”

“No I’m afraid not, I’ll ask the Doctor to come down and see you,” the Nurse remarked, leaving the room.

“It’s not so bad Ric, they said I might never walk again after the crash but look at me now,” Martha soothed him.

“But that was your spine Mac this is my brain,” Ric replied.

“You obviously weren’t using your brain when you got yourself into this mess where you?” Morag had appeared at the door of his hospital room.

“Auntie Morag, we’ve already had this with Granddad, no lectures until he’s better,” Martha cautioned.

“Yes well, he’s very lucky,” Morag conceded, “I’m glad you’re okay.” Morag smiled at him, she turned to Alf, “did you know Sally’s outside?”

“No, why doesn’t she come in?” Alf asked.

“She said she would do in a minute, she’s just going to see Kirsty and give us a bit of time with him, she’ll be down in a bit,” Morag explained.

“She spoke to you?” Alf asked incredulously, a smile appearing on his face as Morag nodded, “guess this has bought her to her senses then.”

“She never bothered before,” Martha retorted but she was silenced by Alf as Sally entered the room.

“Mr Stewart, Morag, Martha, can I speak to Ric alone please?” she asked.

“Sure lass, just yell out if you need us.” Alf ushered his family out of the room and Sally shut the door behind them.

“Sal I’m so sorry, I…”

“I don’t want to hear it Ric,” Sally replied bluntly, Ric fell silent, “what you did was stupid and irresponsible. That Belle girl is bad news, she speeded up Flynn’s death and she’s led you in to no end of trouble,” Sally told him, her voice hard.

“It was an accident Sal; she didn’t mean any harm and I’m capable of saying no so it’s not all her fault,” Ric protested.

“I haven’t even started on you.” Sally’s voice was cold, a tone he had never before heard from her even when she was angry and the sound of it chilled him to the bone. “You’ve let me down Ric and not just me, you’ve let Flynn down. Do you really think he’d have wanted this? I can honestly say I’ve never been more ashamed of you and I know he would be too.” Tears were forming in Ric’s eyes.

“Sal..” he began.

“I don’t want to hear it Ric, I think you should move out.”

“What?” Ric knew she was angry but he had not expected this.

“I don’t want you around the house, causing trouble and upsetting everyone. You’re a bad influence on Cassie and Pippa, I want you to move out as soon as you’re out of here,” she explained.

“Sal please don’t do this, I really am sorry,” Ric protested.

“Save it for someone who cares.” Sally opened the door and walked hastily out of the room and the hospital bypassing Ric’s curious family without so much as an acknowledgement and when they re-entered Ric’s room it was to find him with tears streaming down his face, genuinely devastated.

“Okay go through.” Prison gave Kane the creeps, it always had and he hated it with a passion, he wished he were anywhere else but here right now but he had promised Kirsty he would come so here he was. “Find your Prisoner and take a seat.” Kane walked through to the Visitor’s area and scanned the eager men seated behind the tables until his eyes settled upon Gus. He looked exactly the same as he had the last time Kane had seen him and he grinned mechanically on seeing him. Reluctantly Kane approached him.

“Hello Son,” Gus sneered, “I knew you’d come.”

“Funny that because I wasn’t going to,” Kane snapped.

“So why did yer?”

“Because Kirst wanted me to, because once I’ve heard what you have to say you never have to bother contacting me again,” Kane replied.

“Ahh how is the pretty little wife?” Gus asked.

“You leave Kirsty out of this.” Kane tried desperately to keep his voice calm but his anger was beginning to get the better of him. “What do you want?”

“See son I need a little favour,” Gus replied.

“Are you crazy, why the hell would I want to do anything for you?” Kane demanded.

“Because I’m your old man,” Gus replied.

“You ceased to be that a long time ago. I gave you a second chance and you blew it by setting me up,” Kane snapped.

“Aw come on I didn’t mean to set you up, it just happened,” Gus told him.

“Pull the other one, if that’s all you want I’m leaving now because I’m not doing anything for you, you’re no relation to me,” Kane said, standing up.

“Sit down son,” Gus told him.

“Don’t call me son, you’re no father of mine.”

“Listen this favour it’s worth your while doing, trust me,” Gus insisted.

“What on Earth makes you think I’d ever trust you again after what you did?” Kane demanded.

“Five grand.”

“What would I want with five grand?” Kane demanded, he was taken aback though.

“A wife and a son are expensive business, I should know,” Gus replied.

“How the hell would you know? You never gave a penny to me, Scotty or Mum, it all went on the grog, or had you forgotten?” Kane reminded him.

“Five grand for you to buy all the little things that pretty wife of yours deserves and give your son the best possible start in life, just for doing one little favour,” Gus coaxed.

“I’m not interested,” Kane insisted, “I want nothing more to do with you, I’m not getting involved in any of your dodgy schemes.”

“All I need you to do is move something from one safety deposit box to the other, a nice simple little job and you’ll get five grand for doing it,” Gus repeated.

“And I said no.” This time Kane was on his feet and heading out the door.

“You’ll change your mind! Your pretty little wife will regret it if you don't!” he heard Gus call after him but Kane ignored him and continued to walk, through the doors and out of Prison. He put as much distance between him and the prison as possible then pulled his car to a stop and got rid of all his aggression by kicking the hell out of a park bin. His head played over the conversation, something was not quite right about the whole situation, his mind speculated over Gus's last words. He had blocked them out and not heard them properly but now they were repeating themselves in his head 'Your pretty little wife will regret it if you don't' and all of a sudden Kane was scared. Kirsty was his whole world and Gus? Gus was capable of anything, the battered bin took on a new purpose as Kane leaned over it and was voilently sick.

“What did Sal say Ric?” Alf insisted. It had been nearly five minutes since Sally had raced from the hospital and in that time Ric had not said a word but he looked well and truly broken. “Ric?” Alf pressed.

“She hates me,” Ric whispered.

“I’m sure that’s not true,” Alf replied.

“She said so, she said she was ashamed of me and Flynn would be too,” Ric explained.

“She’s probably just angry with what you did and I don’t blame her I’m angry too but I’m sure she doesn’t hate you,” Alf insisted.

“You didn’t see the look she had on her face, she looked like she really wanted to hurt me, I’ve never seen Sal like that before,” Ric explained.

“Nonsense, Sal’s not capable of harming anyone, you’re talking nonsense boy,” Alf told him.

“She wants me to move out,” Ric whispered.

“Move out?” it was Alf’s turn to be surprised.

“She doesn’t want me to lead Cassie and Pippa astray, I have to leave as soon as I’m out of hospital,” Ric replied.

“I’m sure she didn’t mean it, I’ll have a word with her. I suppose you can move in with me in the meantime, provided that Belle girl stays away,” Alf offered, begrudgingly.

“Don’t sound like you actually want me around or anything!” Ric was angry now.

“Oh Ric I didn’t mean that but you have caused a fair bit of trouble,” Alf explained.

“Just leave me alone! I don’t want to see anyone!”

“But Ric,” Alf protested.

“Just go!” Ric turned over and Alf decided it would be best to give him some peace so he left the room.

“What did he say?” Martha demanded as Alf emerged.

“Sal’s asked him to move out, I’m going to go and have a word with her,” Alf replied, “he doesn’t want to see anyone love,” he added as Martha headed towards Ric’s room.

“I can’t believe Sally would say that,” Martha remarked.

“Me neither but he’s pretty upset, best we leave him for a little bit. Where’s Morag?” Alf asked.

“She got a phone call and left, she’ll be back later. Are you heading home?” Martha asked.

“Yeah want a lift?” Alf offered.

“Ric’s out of the woods now, doesn’t seem like much point staying around and I need a shower.”

“Come on then.” The two of them headed out through the double doors and from round the corridor Belle watched them go. She had been waiting all morning for the chance to speak to Ric but there always seemed to be somebody there, now she took her chance and snuck into his room.

“I said go away!” Ric snapped.

“I just wanted to say sorry,” Belle replied, “I’ll go.” Ric turned over in his bed.

“Belle wait, I didn’t mean you, are you okay?” he asked.

“Yeah are you?” she asked quietly.

“I have no feeling on my left hand side but the doctor said it’d probably improve,” Ric replied.

“I’m so sorry!” there were tears in Belle’s eyes.

“It’s okay, I shouldn’t have gone along with your crazy scheme but I know you didn’t mean for things to end the way they did,” Ric reassured her.

“I am sorry though,” she insisted, Ric smiled and held his good arm out, Belle reached over and hugged him. She planted a soft kiss on his cheek.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“Because I wanted to,” Belle replied, she looked at him and a moment passed between them, reaching down she kissed him on the lips and Ric responded. Neither of them saw Cassie at the door about to enter a a look of total horror on her face.

Gus Philips walked back to his cell, a smile on his face. Kane had been just as stubborn as he had expected but Gus was confident that his parting words had hit home and that Kane would at least be thinking about what he had said, Kane was like that, a brooder. Gus was admitted back onto his wing and took a second to look around him, quickly his eyes settled on the person he wanted to speak to.

“Sutty.” He beckoned his fellow prisoner away from the group of prisoners and Sutty; James Sutton, a tall, well built and exotically handsome man begrudgingly did as he was asked.

“What do you want Gus?” he asked.

“I need a job doing,” Gus explained.

“No way man I get out of here in two days, I’m not doing anything to jeopardise that,” Sutty replied.

“It’s outside that I want the job doing,” Gus told him.

“Still no way, I’ve done my time I just want to go straight, make a fresh start,” Sutty insisted.

“Well it’s tough luck because I need you to do something for me and you’re going to do it or have you forgotten that you owe me?” Sutty’s face paled.

“What job is it?” he asked.

“Just a little warning that needs delivering,” Gus replied as overhead the siren went instructing them back to their cells, “we’ll talk about it later and in the meantime not a word to that cellmate of yours or you’ll regret it.”

“He can be trusted you know,” Sutty protested.

“Not with this he can’t, remember not a word or there’ll be trouble,” Gus warned and Sutty nodded wishing for the thousandth time that Gus did not still have such a hold on him. Deep in thought he headed back to his cell. Sutty’s cellmate was sat on his bed, feet up and reading a magazine, he looked up as Sutty entered.

“You okay mate?” he asked picking up on Sutty’s long face.

“Yeah just brooding about what I’ll do when I get out,” Sutty lied.

“You’ll be fine, I was like that when I got out first time around but you quickly adjust, just keep your temper in check and stay off the grog.” His cellmate smiled and Sutty knew he was talking from experience. The two had been friends ever since the other man had arrived a few months previously. They had been put in a cell together and Sutty had been intrigued by the man who obviously knew his way around prison and was perfectly capable of defending himself yet stood back and allowed himself to be beaten. He had confided to Sutty that he deserved to be punished because he had killed somebody, the girl he loved no less. It had taken months for Sutty to gain his cellmate’s trust enough to hear the full story and Sutty had come to see the other man as a decent guy. Their bond had been cemented when Sutty, approaching his parole date, had been set up by another prisoner but his mate had taken the punishment for him and now Sutty was to be released in two days. He longed to confide in the other man about his troubles but Gus had been insistent and in here you did not mess with Gus Philips. He was quick and clever but for some reason Sutty’s harmless cellmate who had taken beatings from everyone else had stood up to Gus and won. Now he was treated with respect in here and nobody beat him anymore yet nobody knew why he and Gus hated each other so much except that it had something to do with Gus’s son and a little town called Summer Bay. A sudden thought hit Sutty and he hoped to God that the warning Gus wanted him to deliver had nothing to do with one of his cellmate’s friends but he had a sinking suspicion that it did. The other man was probably the best friend Sutty had ever had and the last thing in the world he wanted to do was upset him but it really did not look like he had a choice. On the bed opposite, Jesse McGregor was about to say something but then thought better of it so instead read picked up the the magazine and continued to read.

Archived