Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

Two for the price of one today because I'm bored. Hope people are still interested in this, feel free to tell me if it gets boring.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

“Babe I’m just popping back the gym,” Kane told Kirsty as he hurriedly threw a few things into a bag and headed towards the door.

“But you’ve just got back in, you’ve been there all day!” Kirsty protested.

“I know but that was working I want to do some working out,” Kane explained.

“Aw babe you know you don’t need to bulk up to impress me. Why don’t you stay home with me and Matthew instead?” Kirsty suggested a teasing smile on her face.

“Later yeah? I’ve got to go the gym,” Kane replied.

“What do you mean you’ve got to? You haven’t got to do anything, you can go the gym later, why now?” Kirsty demanded her suspicions aroused.

“Look I just have to, alright?”

“No it’s not alright. You’re lying to me Kane and we promised no more lies, I want to know what’s going on, I want the truth,” Kirsty demanded. Kane sighed and dropped his bag to the floor. In all honesty he had been keeping it from her in order to protect her but he wanted her to know and maybe it was best if she did. Kirsty had always been more rational than himself and maybe it was better if she knew she was in danger, at least then she could look after herself and Matthew.

“Okay I’ll tell you but you’ve got to promise not to freak out Kirst,” Kane warned as he settled himself onto the couch.

“Okay quit warning and just tell me, you’re scaring me now Kane,” she urged, taking a seat beside him.

“Alright then it’s my Dad, I didn’t tell you the whole truth of what went on at the prison,” Kane began. He saw Kirsty’s lips purse together and sensed she was about to interrupt so he moved quickly on, “what I told you was the truth,” he amended, “it’s just that I left something out. I did it for the best reasons, because I wanted you not to worry.”

“Babe I…” Kirsty began

“No hear me out. What I told you about Gus wanting me to do a job was true, he wanted me to move some money from one bank to another, a relatively simple job but I told him I wasn’t interested. He offered me a cut but I still wasn’t interested. Don’t get me wrong, when Alf told me I no longer had a job I was so tempted but at the end of the day the very thought of doing something for him …” Kane spat out the word in disgust and refused to finish his sentence but Kirsty still knew what he meant. “As I was leaving the prison he started issuing threats saying he’d do something to you if I didn’t do what he said. I ignored it at first,” Kane barrelled on, ignoring Kirsty’s look of horror, “everyone knows he’s full of bull and I didn’t believe him but yesterday when we came home and the door was open…I locked the door babe.”

“You mean? He was here?”

“No not him, he’s in prison but someone was, on his behalf. While you were in the kitchen sorting a cup of tea a young lad came in, said he’d been paid by someone to deliver me a letter. The letter contained a visiting order to visit Gus today. Don’t you see babe? It was a warning, a warning that he can still get to me so I’ve got to go in there today and see him,” Kane explained.

“Are you crazy? What are you going to say to him?” Kirsty demanded but as she watched Kane’s expression she already knew the answer. “You’re gonna do the job aren’t you?”

“What choice do I have?” Kane shouted, he was aware that he was losing his temper but he could not help himself.

“The only choice you’ve ever had, you go to the police. You can’t seriously be willing to do another job for him? Last time he set you up, he was willing to let you go to jail, we went on the run to escape it or had you forgotten that?” Kirsty demanded, furiously.

“Of course I haven’t but I doubt he’ll do the same thing again and if I do go the police he’ll hurt you, I know he will,” Kane protested.

“It’s too risky. I will not put us through all that again, we’re going the police or at the very least we tell Peter,” Kirsty insisted.

“What good will that do? He’ll just get his revenge somehow or other,” Kane protested.

“The police will protect us, it’s their job. Please Kane?” Kirsty begged. Kane was not convinced one bit, he had very little faith in the police. He glanced at the clock.

“I guess it’s too late to go to the prison now but I'm not happy with going the police babe, I'd rather you let me handle this,” he remarked.

“Well it's not your decision is it? We're in this together Kane and I say we're going to see Peter, agreed?”

“I don’t know babe,” Kane was still unsure.

“Well if you won’t then I will,” Kirsty insisted.

“Okay then the police it is. I’ll not go specially to them though I’ll just mention it to Peter next time I see him, alright?” Kane asked, Kirsty nodded. Kane held out his arms and Kirsty flew into them her tension leaving her as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Thank you, I love you,” she told him.

“I love you too and I won’t let anyone hurt you, you know that don’t you? I’d rather do time myself.” There was little Kirsty felt she could say to that because both she and Kane knew it was the truth so instead she snuggled closer into his chest.

“Hey where did you get to today?” Stephen asked of Selina when she finally returned home.

“Oh I was just walking and then I’ve been at Angel’s the past few hours,” Selina replied.

“I thought you were going to Angel’s this morning? I came home looking for you, I thought we were meant to be doing something together?” Stephen asked and Selina felt guilty at the hurt expression on his face.

“I’m sorry I was just walking and everything is so beautiful here, I just lost track of time,” Selina explained. In her head she tried to justify herself that it was partly the truth.

“Yeah I guess I can understand that. How was Angel?” Stephen asked.

“Good actually,” Selina replied, relieved to be back on neutral territory, “her house is gorgeous, really lovely.”

“Yeah Don said she somehow managed to get the house that was built on the exact same spot as the place her and Shane used to live in,” Stephen remarked.

“Yeah crazy huh? Turns out it was a co-incidence. The estate agent she commissioned sent her a load of house details and that house just happened to be one of them so Angel said she just knew she had to have it,” Selina explained.

"Did she tell you she had a date tonight?" Stephen asked.

"She told me she was going for a drink with a police Detective in order to appologise for Shane throwing coffee all over him," Selina replied, "who said it was a date?"

"Colleen," Stephen replied.

"Figures. It'll be good for Angel but I doubt she's ready to move on yet after the way things ended with Simon."

“She’s still not over Shane is she?” Stephen mused.

“I doubt she ever will be, a part of her will always love him. I remember their wedding when she walked down the aisle after being in a wheelchair, they were so in love.” Selina was miles away reminiscing and Stephen pulled her into his arms.

“That’s what you and me will be like, except we’ll never lose each other, right?”

“Right,” Selina agreed.

“I doubt Sally will ever get over Flynn either,” Stephen remarked.

“Have you seen her?” Selina asked.

“Yeah, she’s devastated, like a different person. It reminds me so much of how Pippa coped with losing Tom and Michael, it’s like they both retreat into themselves and they pretend like everything’s fine but they’ll only speak if they have to and won’t open up at all. It’s so hard seeing Sally like that. Nothing Don or I said seemed to even penetrate with her. I even started talking about Tommy and how much we miss him in the hope she’d open up but it was as if she didn’t hear me, like nothing’s there,” Stephen explained.

“I guess it’ll just take time, we all just have to be patient and be there for her, she’ll come through this,” Selina reassured him.

“I hope so,” Stephen replied, tightening his arms around her and Selina relaxed against him.

“Well here you go kiddo home sweet home, it ain’t much but you’re welcome to stay as long as you like.” Irene’s voice broke through the moment Stephen and Selina had been sharing.

“Hey,” Selina greeted her.

“G’day you two. This is Belle, she’s going to be living with us for a little while, that’s Selina and Stephen, they’ve just moved back here from England. Righto lets get you settled in your own room kiddo and then you can help me prepare dinner, it’ll be a full house tonight because Kirsty and Kane are coming round,” Irene explained.

“You won’t need me around then will you, I’ll go out,” Belle replied.

“And get out of helping? No chance kiddo in this house we all pitch in, ain’t that right Selina?” Irene asked.

“Been like that as long as I remember,” Selina smiled fondly at Irene.

“Right so there you go, no getting out of it. I’ll show you your room and then you can peel the spuds while Stevvo sorts us a salad,” Irene told them.

“Me?” Stephen asked, surprised.

“Nope the bloke behind yer, of course you yer dope. Pippa said you all used to pitch in at hers so there’ll be no shirking here,” Irene told him, grinning.

“Where’s my job?” Selina asked.

“Pregnancy, you’re excluded darl,” Irene told her.

“That’s favouritism!” Stephen protested but he was grinning as Selina pulled a tongue at him. Belle smiled, she already liked these people and despite her doubts it might just turn out to be fun to living here.

Robbie had been walking since he had parted company with Selina an hour ago. Telling her everything had made things so much clearer in his head, he was glad he had opened up, he now knew exactly what he had to do. It was hard though and he was scared, hopefully the police would realise he was just a victim in this and let him off but there was always the worry that they wouldn’t. He wouldn’t mind if he’d managed to achieve what he had wanted. If Tash was sitting at home now waiting for him this would be so much easier to do but she wasn’t, she was still with them and now because of them he was in trouble with the police. The Station was across the road now and it would be so easy to walk away but as Selina had pointed out he had to be a man and face the music. Add to that there was the possibility that the evidence he had to give might just strengthen the case against Amanda and Josh and after what they had done to his family Robbie was willing to do anything to see them go down. Taking a deep breath he crossed the road and walked through the door of the police station. The officer at the desk had his head down but Robbie walked straight up to him.

“Can I help you?” the officer asked.

“No I believe I can help you. I’m Robbie Hunter, I’ve just been told that you’ve been looking for me,” Robbie explained.

“Robbie Hunter, yes we have. Where have you been?” the officer demanded.

“Just walking, trying to put things into perspective,” Robbie replied.

“Robbie.” Jack had just walked out of another room and caught sight of him.

“Hi Jack, I heard you were looking for me so I thought I’d come in and see what you’re after,” Robbie replied.

“It’s just a few questions Rob, about Josh West and some deliveries you made for him,” Jack explained, Robbie nodded.

“That’s enough Holden. So you’re Robbie Hunter? Right put him in holding cell one please, he’s kept us waiting all day so he’ll have to wait while I interview another suspect,” Sergeant Bellmore instructed.

“But I didn’t know you were looking for me,” Robbie protested.

“A likely story.”

“Sarge can’t I interview him while you finish with your other suspect?” Jack suggested.

“No Holden you can’t. You know what you can do though don’t you?”

“Paperwork,” Jack supplied, well and truly bored with it.

“Yes Holden paperwork so get on it.” Jack flashed an apologetic smile at Robbie and returned to his desk as a now very scared looking Robbie was led into a police cell. The Sergeant didn’t look like the understanding type at all and suddenly Robbie was scared that he might be in more trouble than he had first thought.

Sutty was sat on the sand in the same place as the previous day at the same time with his phone in his hand once more waiting nervously for Gus’s call. He did not have to wait long as the familiar ring tone sounded but for some reason Sutty felt reluctant to answer. He longed to throw the phone in the sea and never see it again, never speak to Gus again but he was not stupid enough to believe that would happen, Gus would always find him, there was no escape. Reluctantly he answered the phone.

“You took your time,” Gus snapped, it was obvious from the tone of his voice that he was angry so obviously the visit hadn’t gone well. Sutty felt a sinking feeling in his stomach.

“Sorry there was someone nearby I had to walk a bit to be sure I wouldn’t be overheard,” Sutty lied.

“Whatever anyway I have new instructions for you,” Gus snapped.

“How did your visit go?” Sutty asked, partly out of curiosity and partly as a play for time because he did not want to hear Gus’s instructions.

“Visit? What bloody visit! He never ****ing turned up so either you failed to deliver my message or my son is too damn stupid to see sense!” Gus raged, Sutty held the phone away from his ear, he had only heard Gus this angry one or two times and each time it had meant trouble for somebody.

“I swear I delivered the message!” Sutty told him, “why would I lie?”

“Why indeed. No I believe you delivered the message, you’re too scared about your stupid mother to do anything else. No it’s that drop-kick son of mine, he’s too bloody thick to get the message so we’re just going to have to drive it home harder aren’t we?”

“How...how do you mean?” Sutty asked nervously.

“By making sure that idiot son of mine knows I mean business. God am I surrounded by morons!” Gus was shouting down the phone.

“What do you want me to do?” Sutty asked the inevitable question.

“I want you to deliver my warning and this time it’ll be more serious than before, something to really get that son of mine listening. I want you to kidnap that little wife of his,” Gus instructed.

“What? You promised I wouldn’t have to hurt any innocents, I told you I wouldn’t do it!” Sutty was horrified.

“I promised you nothing. You owe me and don’t forget your mother now. You’ll do it. Besides there is nothing to say that the pretty little wife has to get hurt…yet. If Kane does as he’s told there’ll be no need for anyone to get hurt,” Gus sneered.

“Do you think he will?” Sutty asked.

“If you do it right. That girl means the world to that stupid soppy son of mine, he’ll do it. Now listen up, here’s the plan. You’re to kidnap her I don’t care how, I don’t care when but you’re to do it as soon as possible. Tonight or tomorrow, get her on her own,” Gus told him.

“But she’s rarely out of Kane’s sight and she never goes anywhere without her baby,” Sutty protested.

“I don’t care about the stupid brat, drown it for all I care but you get the girl and leave a note at his place. This is what I want the note to say. You got a pen? Write it down, I want it word for word and you’re too thick to remember it.”

“I’ve got a pen,” Sutty replied.

“Right I want you to put ‘I have the pretty little wife. She won’t be harmed as long as you do what I say. Do not call the police. Enclosed is another VO and this time I want you to use it.’ That’s all I want you to put, he’ll understand who it’s from. Did you get that? Read it back to me,” Gus commanded.

“’I have the pretty little wife. She won’t be harmed as long as you do what I say. Don’t call the police. Enclosed is another VO and this time I want you to use it,’” Sutty read.

“Very good so tell me the plan again.”

“I’m to kidnap his wife, you don’t care how or when but I’m to do it tonight or tomorrow and I’m to leave the note behind where he’ll find it,” Sutty told him.

“Very good,” Gus sneered.

“What do you want me to do with her?” Sutty asked, nervously.

“I don’t care you just keep her safe and keep her out of the way. Hold her somewhere and keep her tied up and blindfolded, I suppose you should feed her but don’t go talking to her. Do I make myself clear?” Gus demanded.

“Yes,” Sutty replied.

“Good well I expect it done by this time tomorrow, I’ll phone you then.” Abruptly Gus hung up the phone and Sutty dropped his phone into the sand. This was getting way too serious, way too deep. Delivering notes was one thing but kidnap? He was in too far. Thoughts of his mother flashed through his head and Sutty knew he had no choice, Gus was holding all the cards and Sutty was just a pawn in his game, only now the game was getting dangerous and Sutty did not know where it would end.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was a nice surprise! I read the earlier chapter in work and come on line to review and find another chapter! :D

Great story, I even interested in the characters I don't know like Seline and Stephen. I really admire the way you're coping with several different characterers and storylines and still holding everybody's interest. The Kane/Kirsty/Gus story is terrific. :D

This story is fantastic! i hope your feeling bored again so then you can write soon :lol: i cant wait for the kidnap issue, i know this sounds cruel but i hope kirsty gets kidnapped because it adds to the drama. *Hangs head in shame* anyway,update soon! :)

Loved it again! Irene is perfect! Kim and Kit :wub: Stephen *swoons* - this fic has it all.

Perhaps a little more Jessie? :D:wink:

Hm I can tell you Jesse is definately going to feature more over the next few chapters but maybe not as you'd think....

Going to try and get going on the next chapter of this tomorrow but I've got a lot of work on at the moment. Thanks for the great reviews though.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

“Can I have a large dry white wine please?” Angel asked.

“Sure.” Beth fixed the drink and accepted payment, “I’ve not seen you around here before,” she commented.

“I’ve just moved back here, I used to live here a long time ago,” Angel explained.

“So in that case you’re either Selina or Angel? I’m Beth Hunter,” Beth said.

“Angel, Angel Parrish. Small towns huh?” she smiled.

“Nothing changes,” Beth replied.

“Hello Angel, sorry I’m late have you been here long?” Peter joined her at the bar.

“No I’ve just arrived and you’re not late anyway I was early,” Angel replied.

“That’s alright then. Usual please Beth,” Peter asked ignoring the quizzical raised eyebrow she was bestowing on him.

“I’m getting this,” Angel told him.

“There’s no need,” Peter protested.

“That was the deal,” Angel insisted handing the money over as Peter took his pint from the bar.

“Fair enough then, thanks. Shall we?” he gestured to empty couches and Angel nodded. Collecting her things she followed him, trying not to look at Beth who was watching them very curiously. Seated on the couch Angel sipped her wine and wondered why she felt so nervous, all she was doing was having a drink with a man, nothing to be nervous about. “So you were going to tell me why you dislike the police so much?” Peter asked.

“I don’t dislike the police,” Angel insisted, “like I said my brother in law was a policeman.”

“So you said. Was that in Summer Bay?” Peter asked.

“Yeah, a long time ago though. My husband Shane was always in trouble with the law, at least until we got together. He calmed down then,” Angel explained.

“So you tamed him?” Peter asked, smiling.

“Something like that,” she replied, a wistful smile on her face.

“So has he moved back here with you?” Peter asked.

“Oh no he’s dead. He was knocked off his motorbike and had his spleen removed but a few weeks later he got septicaemia and died on our wedding anniversary of all days,” Angel explained.

“I’m sorry,” Peter said.

“Don’t be, it was a long time ago. I’ve been married since, I married an Englishman Simon Broardhurst and went to live with him in England and I’ve lived there for ten years. It’s funny that in ten years so much has changed here yet at the same time nothing has,” Angel explained.

“Yeah there’s something about the Bay isn’t there? So has your husband travelled with you?” Peter asked.

“No we’re divorced, we divorced last year and I decided to bring the kids back here for a fresh start,” Angel explained.

“How old are your children?” he asked.

“Dylan’s sixteen and Shane is eleven,” Angel replied.

“Shane? Wasn’t that your first husband’s name?”

“Yeah, I was pregnant when he died. A few months later I went into labour during a terrible storm and we were desperately trying to get to Pippa’s house, she used to be a nurse you see but we couldn’t get through because everywhere was flooded. Then a guy on a motorbike showed us the way through the storm, afterwards he disappeared before I could thank him but it seemed too much of a coincidence. You probably think I’m weird but Shane was a biker and I like to think that it was him who guided us through the storm because he wanted to make sure his baby was alright. It felt right to call her Shane after that,” Angel explained.

“I don’t think that’s weird at all, it must have been a terrible time for you,” Peter said.

“Yeah it was, that was the night Pippa lost her second husband Michael, he died while my baby was being born so there’s another strange co-incidence.”

“Fate?” Peter suggested.

“I like to think so. Since I’ve moved back here I’ve been thinking about Shane all the time. Even after eleven years I still miss him,” Angel admitted.

“I can’t really imagine losing someone you love that much,” Peter remarked.

“So have you never been in love Detective Baker?” Angel asked with a smile.

“I thought I was. My ex-girlfriend Claire, I really thought I loved her. I moved to the city to be with her but when I got there something wasn’t right. I couldn’t stop thinking about this place,” Peter explained.

“Just because you missed this place didn’t mean there was something wrong with your relationship,” Angel told him.

“I know but it wasn’t just this place,.” Peter hesitated.

“Someone in this place?” Angel guessed, Peter looked at her, surprised.

“What makes you say that?” he demanded.

“Call it woman’s intuition,” she told him, “so do you love her, this woman you couldn’t stop thinking about?”

“I don’t know. I certainly have feelings for her, really strong feelings. I can never stop thinking about her and when I see her, it takes all my willpower not to touch her,” Peter explained.

“Why am I sensing complications?” Angel asked.

“Because it is complicated, very complicated,” Peter replied.

“You don’t have to tell me about it but it might help. It’s obviously weighing on your mind and I promise I can keep a secret, as a good detective you should be able to know that I’m telling the truth,” Angel told him with a smile. Peter looked at her; she was a very attractive woman, no doubt about it but the reason he had asked her to have a drink with him had had more to do with the fact that he knew Leah had been watching them and some part of him had wanted to make her jealous. Now though he was glad he had asked her out. There was something about Angel, she was easy to talk to, he felt comfortable with her, relaxed and his intuition told her he could trust her. Still it was risky to pour his heart out to a stranger but hadn’t she confided in him about how much she still loved her dead husband? And besides who else in the Bay did he have, to confide in? The only person in the Bay he was really close to was Dan and he was the one person who could never know, Angel was right, he did need to talk about it.

“Okay I’ll tell you but in return I want to know why your marriage to your Englishman failed because something tells me you need to get that off your chest,” Peter told her.

“You are a good detective,” she replied, “okay it’s a deal.” Holding out her hand Peter shook it and then taking a sip of his pint he started to tell her everything.

Kane felt like he had been walking for hours; he felt so troubled. They had had a really nice dinner at Irene’s but he had felt strained all the way through so after dropping Kirsty and Matthew home he had gone for a long walk and he was still walking. It had been good to tell Kirsty what was worrying him, that was the way it should be but he had seen the fear on her face and he felt guilty for putting her in danger, again. He still was not sure that going to the police was the right thing to do, his instinct told him to go see Gus but as Kirsty had pointed out, that was what the old Kane, the bad Kane would do. The new Kane, the man he had become since marrying Kirsty was a good law abiding citizen and law abiding citizens went to the police with their troubles, Kirsty insisted. Who knows, maybe she was right, he had no choice now anyway, he had missed the visit and Gus would be livid. He knew he had to tell the police sooner rather than later but he was still reluctant to do it. His previous dealings with the police had left him unable to trust them, even Peter who he had grown to respect during the Sarah Lewis siege. The new guy Jack seemed okay too but Kane did not really know him well enough to confide in him, no it had to be Peter. Sometimes Kane really wished Jesse was still here, Jesse had been the one person who had really known what it took to turn your life around because Jesse had done it too. He had been on the run when Jesse had gone off the rails and started drinking and Kane couldn’t quite believe the way things had turned out. Jesse had always spoken with great fondness about Chloe so it was such a tragedy that he had killed her. Still Jesse had done the right thing in turning himself into the police but ten years? Even pleading guilty and accepting his fate hadn’t helped him, he had apparently refused any sort of representation and since going inside he had cut himself off from everyone in the Bay. He knew Irene had sent him a letter telling him of Flynn’s death and that she forgave him for what happened to Chloe and Pippa had said that an answer phone message had been left at the Caravan Park passing on his condolences to Sally but other than that nobody had heard from him. Kane shuddered at the thought that it could so easily have been him in prison. When Gus had set him up something inside him had told him that he wouldn’t get off despite Morag’s best efforts and when Scott had done him over he had known; that was why they had gone on the run. It was only thanks to Sally and Peter that he was free today and he still felt so grateful towards them. It made him think that maybe there was more he should do to help Sally, she and Flynn had been so good to him but nobody seemed to be able to get through to her. What Peter had done in tracking Gus down against his Superior officer’s orders was probably another reason why he should trust Peter to help him out now. Decision made he walked through the doors into Noah’s, Colleen had told him Peter would be here and sure enough he was. He was in deep conversation with a blonde haired woman, Angel was she called? It looked a serious conversation, not the sort to be interrupted with the news that Kane had to tell. No, best leave it for another night.

“You alright Kane?” Beth asked.

“What? Oh yeah fine thanks,” Kane replied.

“And how is my beautiful little godson?” Beth asked.

“Beautiful,” Kane replied, his eyes lighting up at the mere thought of Matthew.

“Good. I was going to ask you, do you and Kirsty want to come to dinner at ours tomorrow?” Beth asked.

“We’d love to Beth except that Irene and Barry are coming to us, why don’t you and Tony come too?” Kane suggested.

“Really? Kirsty won’t want to be cooking for so many people,” Beth replied, unsure.

“Of course she will. Kirsty’s dying to entertain in her own home and show off Matthew and who better to have than Matthew’s two godmothers? Besides Irene’s bringing a salad so there won’t be much to do,” Kane told her.

“In that case Tony and I would love to come but we’ll bring dessert,” Beth offered.

“Wouldn’t say no to one of your desserts,” Kane replied with a smile.

“That’s settled then, what time do you want us?” Beth asked.

“About half seven?” Kane suggested. In his pocket his mobile was going off, he answered it. “Hey babe.” Kirsty was on the other end.

“Babe we’ve left Matthew’s bottle at Irene’s place and he won’t drink from the spare one,” Kirsty told him.

“Alright babe, I’ll go and get it for you, I’m just in Noah’s but I’ll head over there now,” Kane told her.

“Thanks babe.” Kirsty hung up and Kane explained the situation to Beth.

“I best go but we’ll see you tomorrow,” he told her.

“Looking forward to it.” Beth waved him off as he left the Bar, she was so proud of the way he and Kirsty pulled together, if anyone deserved happiness it was those two.

“Rachel, Rach wait!” Rachel had been deep in thought, walking along the beach when she heard Kim’s voice, loud and clear through the night air. She ignored him, he was the last person she wanted to see. She had really thought that the two of them had something, a connection, she had been willing to risk her career for it but then she had walked in on him kissing Kit and it felt like her whole world had been torn apart. Rachel had had her heart broken once before and it had taken a long time to heal, to trust again and she wasn’t even sure she had healed from it. Kim had been the first guy she had trusted since then, the first guy she had let in and he had hurt her too. She felt betrayed. “Rachel please.” His hand was on her shoulder pulling her round to face him, she shrugged him off.

“Leave me alone Kim,” she protested.

“No Rach you’ve got to let me explain please?” he begged, Rachel sighed, she turned to face him.

“Well?” she demanded.

“I’m so sorry you had to find out like you did, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to hurt you,” Kim told her.

“Well you did. Kim we said all we had to say this afternoon, what else is there to say?” Rachel demanded.

“I just need you to know that I didn’t mean to hurt you. I did care for you, I do it’s just that Kit, she and I have history, I can’t explain it. I’m sorry,” he told her.

“You’ve said all this, I understand now please can you just leave me alone?” Rachel walked away from him and this time Kim did not attempt to follow. Rachel felt increasingly angry, why couldn’t he just leave her alone? A drink, that was what she needed, a large whiskey chaser, her Dad’s old drink. Increasing her pace she headed into Noah’s and placed her order with Beth.

“Hard day huh?” Beth asked.

“Something like that.” As much as she needed to get it off her chest and as nice as Beth was there was no way she was going to confide in Kit Hunter’s mother. The trouble was the kit was Kim’s age, sure he didn’t act young but he had been a lot younger than her. Kit was more suited to him than she would ever be, it was best to accept it. If she was honest it wasn’t so much Kim’s betrayal that she was angry at, she was annoyed with herself. After Jamie had broken her heart the way he had she had sworn to herself never to trust men again, never to let them in but she had let Kim through her defences and he had hurt her, never again. From now on her career was going to come first.

“Hey Rach,” Leah had just come into Noah’s bar.

“Leah, what are you doing here?” Rachel asked.

“I was, uh, looking for you,” she said quickly, “we saved you some dinner.”

“Oh right thanks, you could have phoned me though, you didn’t need to come all this way,” Rachel replied but Leah was not listening, her eyes were watching something on the other side of the room. Rachel followed her gaze to where Peter was sat side by side with a very attractive blonde woman, his arm draped loosely round her shoulders, deep in conversation but at the same time laughing and joking. “Leah?” Rachel asked.

“I’ll see you at home Rach.” Leah shot off before Rachel could speak to her and Rachel felt increasingly troubled. She had been planning to confide in Leah about the Kim situation but obviously Leah had troubles of her own. If what had just happened was anything to go by Leah still had feelings for Peter Baker and that was a dangerous situation to be in.

“Thanks for that Beth.” Rachel downed the last of her whiskey and placed the glass back on the bar, she stood up and felt herself tread on something. There was a wallet on the floor, Rachel picked it up and handed it to Beth who opened it and withdrew a few cards.

“Thanks Rachel, it’s Kane’s he must have dropped it before. He’ll be worrying about it no doubt, I’ll have to drop it round when I’m finished here,” Beth told her.

“I’ll do it if you like, I can easily walk by their house on my way home,” Rachel offered.

“Would you? That’d be great thanks,” Beth said.

“No problem,” Rachel replied.

Sutty had been watching the house for little over an hour. He had seen Kane drop Kirsty and the baby off and then take off on a long walk, it was the perfect opportunity to get the girl but somehow he could not bring himself to do it. This whole situation felt so wrong; how the hell had he got himself into this? He thought back to his life before Prison, he had always had a tough life. There had been no father figure for as long as he could remember and his mother’s disability pension had barely been enough to keep them. He had started stealing things as a teenager, nothing major just little things, food and clothes and he had always scraped by although a couple of times the police caught him and he was given warnings but nothing major. It wasn’t like he stole because he was greedy, he stole to survive and not just for him, for his mother. She had been the only person around in his life and he would have done anything for her. Then when he was nineteen everything had changed, he had met the love of his life. She had been beautiful but way out of his league, the only daughter of wealthy parents, intelligent and really well educated. He had never thought she would fall for a drop kick like him but she had, they had been so good together. Of course her parents had found out and put a stop to it but that had only made it more exciting to keep seeing each other but then he had blown it. He had wanted to buy her a present, something beautiful, something special but of course he hadn’t the money so he had stolen it. A beautiful necklace it had been and she had been delighted with it, he had told her it had been his grandmother’s and that it had been left to him and she had believed him. He had felt guilty about that. He had never thought she would find out the truth, why would she? He hadn’t known that her father had been a friend of the jeweller he had stolen it from, hadn’t known that her father would recognise it and ask his daughter who she got it from. He hadn’t known that she would break down and tell him the truth and he hadn’t known that her father would call the police. With too many cautions already behind him, the jewellery shop owner wanting to press charges, no money for a defence lawyer and her father leaning on local magistrates he had stood no chance. Six years had seemed excessive to everyone except her father who had been delighted with it. From the day he was put inside he had never seen or heard from her again, his letters had gone unanswered. Since his release he had considered looking her up but had decided against it, she had no doubt moved on by now and he did not want to upset her again. Six years in prison, well five and a half he had got out on a good behaviour bond and he had Gus Philips to thank for it. Gus had taken the rap for something Sutty had done and that was why he now owed Gus a favour. Gus had sensed though that Sutty was not keen on owing Gus, which was why he had threatened Sutty’s mother as well. Thoughts of Gus bought him back to the present and the job in hand, he had dwindled too long in his own thoughts, it was time to do the job and kidnap Kirsty Philips.

Rachel walked leisurely towards the Philip’s house taking her time to breathe in the cool night air then suddenly the silence was broken by her mobile ringing. The caller ID was Beth so Rachel answered.

“Hi Rachel just realised I forgot to tell you that Kane didn’t go home he went to Irene’s so he’ll probably realise he’s lost his wallet when he gets there so it might be best if you went straight there,” Beth suggested.

“Oh right, okay I’ll go there then,” Rachel replied, “bye.” She rang off and changed direction towards Irene’s house and away from the Philips place.

Archived