Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to Jess my excellent proof reader and for convincing me that chapters I write aren't as bad as I think they are!

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

Following Jack’s proclamation it felt like an ominous black cloud was hanging in the air of the Beach House. Pippa was on the phone to Tiegan to see if she knew anything of Joey’s whereabouts while Stephen and Barry muttered in hushed tones. Irene merely sat in stunned silence on the sofa. “Angel can I have a word?” Jack asked her quietly.

“Sure, what’s up?” she followed him outside to the patio area.

“I’m just wondering if you know where Peter is,” Jack asked.

“No. Why, is he not at the Station?” Angel asked.

“No he said he had something to attend to and that he’d only be an hour but it’s been nearly three. I’ve just checked the Station and he’s not turned up there. He said if we needed him to contact his mobile but it’s switched off,” Jack explained.

“That’s really strange, I’m sorry I don’t know where he is though,” Angel told him.

“It’s okay, hopefully he’ll turn up soon it’s just that I really need to know where to go next with this new information we’ve received and he is co-ordinating the investigation,” Jack replied.

“Maybe he’s off investigating a lead?” Angel suggested.

“I don’t think so. He said he was doing something on another case,” Jack told her.

“He said what?” Angel demanded, her temper rising, “You’re telling me that he’s off working on another case while Selina is missing? She’s beenn missing for nearly three days, we know she's in danger and he’s doing something else? He promised me and I trusted him, I can’t believe I trusted him!” a furious Angel took off, leaving Jack stunned.

“Where did Angel go?” Pippa asked as he headed back inside the house, Jack shrugged, “Well anyway, Tiegan hasn’t heard from him in over two years. Last she heard he was still touring schools lecturing on schizophrenia, same as we all heard,” Pippa told him.

“Fair enough. Thanks anyway Pippa I’m heading off now but I’ll let you know if there’s any developments,” Jack promised.

“Thanks Jack,” she told him warmly. Jack left the house to head back to the Station and figure out his next move, but where the hell was Peter?

Angel had been heading along the beach after storming out on Jack but she spotted Peter’s car parked up outside the Diner and her temper soared. He was sitting at a booth reading through something so she stood over him, arms crossed until he noticed her.

“Hey Angel,” he greeted.

“Don’t you hey me. Where the hell have you been?” Angel demanded.

“What?” Peter looked taken aback at her anger.

“You heard me, where have you been? Jack had a development on the case and he’s been searching for you. An hour, thats all you said you’d be, but you’ve been three hours and your phone was switched off,” Angel snapped, angrily.

“Jack’s had a development?” Peter asked.

“You’d know that if you were actually working. I can’t believe you’ve been in here all this time, what were you doing? Admiring the view?” her barb was not wasted on Peter.

“Angel I’ve only just arrived here to get a coffee, I’ve been working on another case,” Peter explained.

“You’ve been working on another case? Selina is in serious danger and you’re working on another case. You promised me you’d prioritise this!” she snapped.

“I am, it was just an hour,” Peter insisted.

“Or three. I trusted you Peter. I’ve trusted you with so much but if you can let me down over this what else are you going to let me down over?” she demanded.

“Angel I’d never let you down,” Peter told her.

“Do you know what, I can’t believe anything you say anymore. You’re just like Simon, full of empty promises and bull****.” She turned away from him.

“Angel come on…” Peter protested.

“No Peter just stay away from me from now on!” she stormed out of the Diner leaving Peter shocked and bewildered. He switched on his phone to speak to Jack. After deflecting his anger onto Jack for getting Angel involved, he was bought up to date with the case.

“Look I’m on my way it, do we have any leads on his whereabouts?” Peter asked.

“Well we’ve just come across an address that he was seen at a couple of weeks ago, we should probably check it out,” Jack suggested.

“I’m on my way,” Peter replied. He headed to the counter. “Can I pay my bill please?” he asked of Leah.

“Sure,” she told him, “everything okay?” There was something in the tone of her voice that made him think she was being more nosy than curious and for the first time in a long time something about Leah irritated him.

“It’s just fine, give my love to Dan.” He slammed a note on the counter and stormed out leaving Leah feeling hurt and upset and wondering just why she cared so much.

“Everything’s gone quiet out there,” Kane remarked to Kirsty.

“Yeah do you think we should check if everything’s okay?” Kirsty asked.

“No best leave them to it,” Kane told her, “besides I can think of better things to do with our time…” he pulled her closer to him and kissed her. Kirsty responded but they were interrupted by a knock on the door. Kane groaned and Kirsty giggled as she stood up to answer it to a very sheepish looking Barry.

“Sorry to disturb you,” he began.

“It’s okay, you didn’t disturb us,” Kirsty replied unconvincingly.

“Right well, erm there’s a phone call for you Kane,” Barry told him.

“For me?” Kane was surprised, Barry nodded. Kane exchanged a look with Kirsty and then stood up and headed to the phone. “Hello Kane Philips.”

“Hello son.” Gus’s familiar voice chilled Kane to the bone.

“How did you know I was here?” Kane demanded.

“I know everything son,” Gus replied.

“You mean you’re still having me watched?” Kane demanded, furious.

“Maybe I am, maybe I’m not. That’s not important. What is important is that you visit me tomorrow, same time as last time. You don’t need a VO I’ll put your name down. Oh and Kane, remember what happens to the pretty little wife if you don’t show.” The phone was hung up before Kane could respond and he slammed the receiver down furiously, his hands shaking. He looked up to see everyone looking at him but he ignored them and returned to the bedroom, to Kirsty, where he paced the floorboards. Kirsty shut the door behind him.

“Babe what is it?” she asked, worried.

“It was him.”

“Your Dad?” Kirsty asked.

“Don’t call him that!” Kane snapped.

“Okay Gus then. What did he want?” Kirsty asked.

“I’m to visit him tomorrow,” Kane explained.

“Well that’s good isn’t it? At least something’s moving now. You did say yes didn’t you?” Kirsty demanded.

“He didn’t give me chance to say yes or no he just reminded me what would happen if I didn’t come,” Kane told her.

“Well that’s good then. He wouldn’t have said all that if he knew we’d gone to Peter already,” Kirsty suggested.

“Yeah, I hadn’t thought about that. We’re being watched though Kirst, he knew to call me here,” Kane explained.

“But how, surely the Dectective watching the place would have spotted him?” Kirsty demanded.

“That’s if he is the Detective and not someone Gus has planted there,” Kane replied.

“It’s the Detective, Peter pointed him out remember? You’re being paranoid,” Kirsty told him.

“Am I? How did he know to phone me here then?” Kane demanded.

“Come on babe it wouldn’t take a genius to work out that if we weren’t at home we’d be here, he’s playing with you again, just don’t let him,” Kirsty soothed.

“You reckon?” Kane asked.

“Yeah I do. Now can we pick up where we left off?” she asked.

“Guess so,” Kane replied kissing her but he still wasn't convinced that she was right, he was not convinced at all.

“So what’s this address then?” Peter demanded when he had picked Jack up and they were back on the road.

“Twelve Bagnor Road. Lara went to a call out there two weeks ago. A neighbour called to say the occupant of the house was acting suspiciously but when she got there the house was empty,” Jack explained.

“Strange. Do we know that Joey Rainbow was in the house?” Peter asked.

“Not for certain but the description the neighbour gave matches. What gets me is that if Joey wasn’t suffering from schizophrenia and was living so close surely he would have been in touch with Irene?” Jack suggested.

“You’re probably right, that’s assuming it is him,” Peter remarked, turning the car onto Bagnor Road and pulling up outside Number Twelve.

“It looks pretty run down,” Jack remarked, getting out of the car.

“Yeah, do you want to go round the back and take a look?” Peter suggested. Jack nodded and disappeared round the back on the house while Peter knocked on the front door and looked through the windows.

“You won’t find anything there dearie.” Peter looked in the direction of the voice. A woman was watching him from the porch of the house next door.

“Really why’s that?” Peter asked, as this woman reminded him an awful lot of Colleen.

“He took off that’s why, just after the last time I called the police. That night he returned with some other people he cleared the house,” she replied.

“Really? Why did you call the police last time round?” Peter asked.

“Who wants to know?” she crossed her arms over her chest.

“Detective Inspector Baker, that’s PC Jack Holden,” Peter told her, holding out his warrant card.

“Well you better come in then Detective.” The two officers followed her into her house, “Cup of tea?” she offered.

“No thank you. Can you just tell me if this was the man who lived in the house?” Peter asked.

“Yes that’s him,” she replied, Peter looked at Jack.

“Right so you called the Police last time because you heard strange noises coming from the house next door. Can you tell me what type of noises?” Peter asked.

“Awful noises like somebody screaming, and then crying and chanting, lots of chanting,” she explained.

“And what were they chanting?” Peter asked.

“Couldn’t really tell, it was hard to hear properly, something about ashes though.”

“Right, PC Fitzgerald searched the property but could find nothing amiss and you say that he returned that night with some others and emptied the house?” Peter asked.

“Yes that’s right.”

“But you never phoned us back to tell us about that?” Peter asked.

“Well the Police Officers hadn’t found anything funny so I thought I must have imagined it,” she replied.

“Right, did you recognise the people who helped him to empty the house?” Peter asked.

“Yes one woman had been here before but I didn’t recognise the other woman. She was tall with long dark hair and glasses.”

“Was this the woman who had been here before?” Peter showed her a picture of Mamma Rose.

“Yes that’s her, I think it was his mother or something,” the woman told him.

“Right well thank you for your help, Mrs…?”

“Baxter. It was no problem.” She let them out of the house and shut the door behind them.

“So what now?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know but we now have evidence that Joey Rainbow and Mamma Rose were together as short a time as a few weeks ago and I assume the other woman is someone from the camp. I want to search that house, see if they left anything behind,” Peter told him.

“We don’t have a warrant though,” Jack reminded.

“It’s an empty house, nobody will know, did you spot any point of entry?” Peter asked.

“Yeah an upstairs window was open,” Jack replied. He led the way round the back of the house and pointed.

“Reckon I could do that, give me a leg up?” Peter asked.

“You can’t be serious? What if somebody’s watching and calls the police?” Jack asked.

“We are the police, we’ll think of an excuse now are you going to help me or what?” Peter demanded.

“This is crazy!” Jack replied, he sighed realising Peter had no intention of backing down. “Look let me go,” Jack offered.

“Really?” Peter asked.

“Yeah I’m younger and you don’t want to ruin that suit,” Jack told him with a smile.

“Cheeky bugger!” Peter replied but he was smiling, “come on then,” he urged removing his suit jacket.

More of a filler chapter really but I'm building up to some dramatic storylines and these chapters type of chapters will probably seem of more use in a few chapters time.

Please read and review.xxx

Thanks again Jess.xx

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

A nervous Peter watched as Jack’s lithe frame disappeared through the open window and then held his breath until his colleague appeared again at the door.

“Piece of cake,” Jack told him, opening the door.

“Don’t get smart with me boy, I could easily have climbed up,” Peter replied.

“Nah your fitness deteriorates when you get older.” Jack said, taking off into the house before Peter could respond.

“You better do upstairs and I’ll do down here!” Peter called after him.

“Sure thing,” came the reply. It was not a difficult house to search, what with the fact that there was no furniture, only fixtures and fittings, but Peter was determined to be thorough. It took him ten minutes to be certain that there was nothing at all in the kitchen before moving into the front room of the house. A further ten minutes in here revealed nothing more than a resident mouse so Peter moved into the final room downstairs. It was smaller and looked like it had been used as an office at some point. Along one wall was a large fitted bookcase The room was empty aside from that so Peter examined the bookcase, pulling out draws, lifting up surfaces but there was nothing to be seen. He was about to give up when his hand felt something that seemed to be plastic. He tugged at it but it but it appeared to be jammed. He had to put all his strength into it to release the object. Finally it came free in his hands forcing him to fall backwards. He pulled himself into a sitting position and looked at it. The object was a current drivers license, he turned it over and nearly gasped out loud at the photo. The dark hair and glasses were a good disguise but for someone who knew that face so well there was no mistaking who it was. Carrie Johnson was the name given on the licence and Twelve Bagnor Road was the address on it. Peter heard Jack’s heavy tread on the stairs and quickly stuffed the license in his pocket.

“Did you find anything?” Peter asked.

“No they’ve done a really good job of clearing the place,” Jack replied, “did you?”

“No it’s the same down here,” Peter replied.

“What now?” Jack asked.

“We return to the Station,” Peter replied, his hand resting nervously in his pocket as they exited the house.

“Hi Ric love, she’s in her room,” a much brighter Irene told him when he appeared at the back door of the Beach House.

“Thanks.” Ric replied as he made his way to Belle’s bedroom and was admitted.

“Hey,” she greeted him quietly.

“Hey yourself.” Ric leaned over to kiss her but she turned her head so he caught her cheek.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yeah I’m fine,” she replied, unconvincingly.

“You can talk to me you know Belle,” Ric told her.

“I’d rather you talked to me, where are those scratches from?” Belle asked, pointing to his arm.

“From Cassie, would you believe that when me and Sal returned to the House Cassie and Matilda were having a full on fight on the lawn?” Ric told her.

“No way!” Belle was genuinely astonished.

“Yeah apparently Mattie actually hit her,” Ric explained.

“So what happened?” Belle asked.

“Nothing. Sal and I pulled them apart and they both took off in separate directions. Cassie said some pretty harsh things to Sal though so I went after her to talk some sense into her,” Ric explained.

“And did you manage to?” Belle asked.

“I think so. Look Belle there’s something I have to tell you,” Ric said.

“What is it?” she turned to look at him.

“Its just that, well..” Ric was stammering.

“Spit it out then,” she demanded.

“It’s just that while I was talking to her Cassie kissed me,” Ric explained quickly.

“I see, did you kiss her back?” Belle demanded.

“Just for a fraction of a second, automatic you know? But I pulled away pretty much straight away and told her I wasn’t interested in her anymore. I told her I’m with you, I love you not her,” Ric explained.

“Why are you telling me this?” Belle asked.

“Because I want us to be honest with each other. That’s why Cass and I broke down because the trust had gone. I don’t want that to happen with you and me,” Ric explained.

“You’re not telling me this because you think Cassie will if you don’t?” Belle demanded.

“No. Cassie may be a lot of things but she’s not that vindictive, she took it quite well about you and me. Why don’t you look shocked by this?” Ric asked suddenly.

“Maybe because I already knew,” Belle replied.

“What? How?” Ric was astonished.

“Your non-vindictive ex-girlfriend came to see me, although her story was different to yours. She has you getting back together,” Belle explained.

“She said what? No way, that’s not true. I’ve told you the truth Belle, it’s you I love, please say you believe me?” Ric asked and Belle had to smile, he looked genuinely gutted.

“I do believe you. I’m glad you told me, if I’d have had to ask you about it you and me would have been over before we’d even begun,” Belle told him.

“You’re incredible, you know that?” Ric asked.

“Just promise me you’ll never let yourself get in that situation again and tomorrow we’ll go see Cassie together, agreed?” Belle asked.

“Agreed.” Ric reached in to kiss her and this time she didn’t turn her head.

“It’s far too quiet in there, I really hope that girlie’s not getting up to anything,” Irene remarked to Barry.

“I doubt it, I can hear voices, they’re just talking,” he assured her.

“That’s good,” Irene replied.

“You seem an awful lot brighter tonight Irene,” Kirsty remarked.

“I am a bit, I know Joey won’t hurt Selina so everything’s going to be okay,” Irene replied. She looked so confident in the belief that nobody dared to contradict her.

“Lets flamin well hope so,” Alf remarked, from his seat at the table where he was helping Stephen pass the time by doing the crossword.

“Well Kane and I are cooking tonight,” Kirsty offered.

“We are?” Kane asked.

“Yes we are,” Kirsty insisted, “are you staying Alf?”

“No love I wouldn’t want to intrude,” Alf replied.

“Nonsense, the more the merrier,” Irene replied.

“In that case, cheers then,” Alf accepted.

“Right so that’s six unless Angel’s coming over? Is Belle eating?” Kirsty asked.

“Yeah she will be. I am pretty sure Ric’s eaten though and Angel’s stopping at home tonight,” Irene replied.

“Right come on then Kane, let’s get cracking,” Kirsty urged.

“Yes Sir!” Kane saluted with a smile but he was teasing. Irene allowed herself a smile as she watched the young couple in the kitchen.

“You got that one all wrong Stephen that’s qualify not quantify,” Alf pointed out.

“Sorry, I guess I’m a bit distracted for crosswords.” Stephen sat back in his chair.

“Why don’t you get some rest love, you look exhausted?” Irene suggested.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Stephen replied.

“That’s what I though but the minute my head hit the pillow I went out and you fell so much better for it,” Irene replied.

“Maybe I’ll go put my head down then,” Stephen told her, standing up. As he did so the doorbell rang and Stephen raced to open it. At the door was a smartly dressed, attractive woman with an air of self-confidence around her.

“Hello I need to speak to Irene Roberts please?” the woman asked.

“She’s right here,” Irene replied.

“Stone the flaming crows, what are you doing back?” Alf demanded, catching a glimpse of their visitor.

“Where else would I be? What I want to know is why the hell nobody thought to tell me?” Josie Russell demanded, angrily.

“Hi yeah it’s Detective Baker I have something for you,” Peter told his contact down the phone.

“Go on then.”

“It appears our two cases are linked. I went to this address where we know Joey Rainbow has been staying and I found a drivers license for a Carrie Johnson, the date of birth was different, she has dark hair now and glasses but other than that there’s no denying that it’s her,” Peter explained.

“Fantastic! Now we know her alias, good work Detective,” his contact replied.

“So what now?” Peter demanded.

“Now we keep working on it. Bye.” His contact hung up the phone and Peter stared at it for a minute or two. As if by magic it suddenly rang.

“Detective Baker?”

“Hi, it’s Angel,” she said shyly.

“Hey, look Angel I’m really sorry about today, I am prioritising Selina’s disappearance it’s just something else needed my attention. I should have had my phone switched on though, I’m so sorry,” Peter apologised.

“No it’s okay, I completely over-reacted. I guess it’s just that you’re the first person I’ve trusted in a while and I felt like you had been lying to me but it was a complete over-reaction, I’m sorry,” Angel replied.

“There’s no need,” Peter told her.

“Yes there is, I behaved like an old fishwife screaming in the Diner like that, what must everyone think? I’m so embarrassed!”

“Don’t be, everybody will have forgotten about it tomorrow,” Peter replied.

“I hope so. I was wondering, well actually Dylan, Shane and I were wondering if you’d eaten yet because we were going to order take-away Pizza and wondered if you’d like to join us?” Angel suggested.

“I’d love to. I can be there in about half an hour, so how about I pick the pizzas up on the way?” Peter suggested.

“Go on then, can we have half pepperoni, half Hawaiian for Shane and I, a medium margarita for Don and a Dylan wants the bonanza,” Angel replied.

“That sounds good, I might get that with him,” Peter replied.

“Okay, I’ll give you the money when you get here,” Angel replied.

“Nonsense, it’s my treat. I’ll see you in half an hour.” Peter hung up the phone and left his office.

“Right I’m off for the night,” Peter told Jack, a smile on his face.

“Oh right, I’ve just got to get this paperwork done,” Jack replied.

“Okay, well don’t work too hard and if there’s any news call me on my mobile, I promise I’ll answer,” Peter replied.

“Sure thing. You going anywhere nice?” Jack asked.

“Just dinner with Angel and her kids,” Peter explained.

“Oh right, things going well there then?” Jack asked.

“We’re just friends and it’s really none of your business,” Peter reminded, “See you tomorrow.” He left the office leaving Jack feeling despondent. It was aright for some, he thought as he watched a smiling Peter depart. He still had a mountain of paperwork to do before he could go home and he was exhausted. His mobile rang and the caller ID showed Martha.

“Hello stranger,” she greeted him when he answered the phone.

“Hey,” he replied.

“You sound tired,” she commented.

“I’m shattered,” he told her.

“Where are you?”

“I’m still at work and I’ve got a ton of paperwork to see to so I don’t think I’ll be able to see you tonight,” Jack told her.

“Oh come on Jack! I know you’re busy but that’s three nights running you’ve cancelled on me. I’m your girlfriend, surely I’m as important as your work?” Martha demanded.

“Of course you are it’s just that I’ve got so much to do,” Jack insisted.

“And once again I’m bottom of your priorities,” Martha replied.

“I didn’t say that, I’m sorry you feel neglected. I’ll make it up to you, I promise,” Jack replied.

“Oh yeah? How?” she teased.

“I’m really sorry Mac but I really need to get cracking on this paperwork, can I phone you later when I’m at home?” Jack asked.

“Fine, yeah, whatever.” She hung up the phone but Jack was so tired he did not even have the energy to try and call her back. He would make it up to her tomorrow, he promised himself.

I've wrote the next chapter, I'll post it when Jess has read through it.

Archived