Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much Jess,xx

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

Peter stirred, not quite sure why his neck was so sore until he opened his eyes and realised with a start that he was on a sofa, Angel’s sofa.

“Morning,” she greeted him from the kitchen, handing him a cup of coffee.

“Thanks, did I fall asleep last night?” he asked.

“Sure did. We were watching a film and you Don and Shane all started snoring so Dylan carried her to bed and I put a blanket over you, you must have been exhausted,” Angel remarked.

“Guess so,” Peter replied yawning, “I can’t believe I fell asleep!”

“It’s okay Don fell asleep on the other sofa, he must have woken up in the night and put himself to bed. Dylan and I finished the film off in my room,” Angel told him smiling.

“I slept like a log, these sofas are really comfy, I just wish I’d have been better positioned!”

“I did try to move you but you’re like a dead weight,” Angel teased, “Do you want some food, I’m cooking a fry-up for the boys,” she offered.

“I shouldn’t but I won’t say no,” Peter told her, “then I’ll have to race home and get changed.”

“You should just bring an overnight bag and move in,” Dylan remarked, coming downstairs.

“Dylan Parrish, you watch your cheek,” Angel chided.

“Well he should, he’s here all the time anyway, you’re obviously lonely at your flat and we have spare rooms, why don’t you lodge with us? Mum’ll be lonely when Don goes back to June,” Dylan suggested.

“You’re pushing your luck, Dylan,” Angel reprimanded, her sharp tone covering the fact that she was embarrassed. “Here, two fry-ups and you can eat them at the table. Don! Shane! Breakfast’s served!” she called upstairs.

“Why did you let me sleep on the sofa Angel, my neck hurts,” Donald complained as he came downstairs.

“Because you looked so peaceful,” Angel replied.

“You and me both,” Peter grinned at him.

“Ah yes I saw you were dead to the world. Did you sleep well?” Donald asked.

“Better than I imagined,” Peter replied.

“Don’t you think Peter should lodge with us Uncle Don?” Dylan asked.

“Dylan if I hear one more word out of you, you won’t sit down for a week!” Angel snapped, losing her patience. Dylan grinned to himself. Peter said nothing but he felt mildly disappointed. Dylan was right, he was lonely at the flat and the idea of lodging in this house with Angel and her family sounded perfect but by Angel’s reaction she obviously did not think so.

“I think that’s for your mother and Peter to discuss, Peter might be perfectly happy at his flat,” Donald told him.

“So why is he always here then?” Dylan asked, to which nobody had any reply.

“Kane you haven’t eaten a thing!” Kirsty chided as Kane pushed his plate away.

“I can’t, I’m too nervous,” Kane replied.

“You have to eat though,” Kirsty told him.

“I know. I still haven’t told Peter about going yet though, he was busy all day yesterday,” Kane replied.

“Well you best do that while I see to Matthew. Then I’m going to give Rachel a call and see if she will keep me company while you’re out to stop me stressing,” Kirsty told him.

“Okay then.” Kane headed to the phone to call Peter while Kirsty cleared away the dishes. The house was strangely quiet this morning. Stephen had gone round to Sally’s, Barry was doing some work at the school and Irene and Josie had gone for a walk to the Believers camp. Josie’s arrival had surprised everyone the night before and she had instantly caused pandemonium by demanding to know why nobody had told her that Tasha was missing. Apparently she had heard from a police friend of hers in the city and she had been livid. Irene had eventually calmed her down and convinced her that it had not been intentional to not tell her but that with everything going on they had merely forgotten. Josie had eventually calmed down and insisted on knowing everything which she had duly heard and her face had turned as white as a sheet. Feeling sorry for her, Irene had warmed a bit and the two had almost begun to bond. Today though Josie had been making a nuisance of herself demanding that they find out what was happening so Irene had walked her down to the camp to placate her. Ric’s face appeared at the door and Kirsty called for Belle who appeared immediately and the two left together, looking strangely nervous. Kirsty’s mobile began ringing and she was pleased to find Rachel on the other end asking if she wanted to do something.

“I was just about to call you,” Kirsty replied, “Kane’s going the prison today so I could do with some company. Why don’t you come round?” Kirsty suggested.

“I’d love to,” Rachel replied, “I’ll see you later.”

“Rachel?” Kane asked after she had hung up.

“Yeah she’ll be over later. What did Peter say?” Kirsty asked.

“Same as last time, I’ve just got to play along and not lose my temper too much. Easier said than done though. He agrees with you that there’s nobody watching us. Do you know that Peter’s got a man inside the prison who’s trying to find out what Gus is up to from inside?” Kane asked.

“No I didn’t, when did this happen?” Kirsty asked.

“Yesterday apparently. It’s somebody Peter used to know but he won’t say anymore than that,” Kane replied.

“Weird, I’d have thought all prisoners would hate cops,” Kirsty remarked.

“Yeah that’s what I thought. Obviously not though. I really wish I didn’t have to do this Kirst, I hate seeing him,” Kane admitted.

“You have to though babe, just remember it’s for me and Matthew and you’ll get through it,” Kirsty reminded him.

“I know, I’d do anything for you, you know that don’t you?” Kane asked.

“I know, now you best go and get ready,” Kirsty urged and after kissing her Kane did as he was told.

“Are we really doing the right thing making a public thing of this?” Ric asked Belle as they walked towards the Surf Club.

“Yes we are, she has to realise that she can’t split us up. We have to show her how solid we are and how pathetic she’s being. You don’t honestly feel sorry for her do you?” Belle demanded.

“A little yeah, I know she’s being a bitch but she’s been through a lot these past few months,” Ric reminded her.

“So have you but you’re not dealing with it the way she is. She needs to realise that she can’t mess with people like this,” Belle replied, “Look at Matilda and Lucas, that was downright cruel.”

“Yeah I guess,” Ric replied as they entered the Surf Club to see Dylan and Lucas playing pool.

“Hey guys,” Ric greeted them.

“Hey,” Lucas greeted them warmly as Dylan waved, busy taking his shot.

“This looks cosy,” Ric remarked.

“Yeah it is a bit. We had a chat last night and he was really honest with me, I quite like the guy,” Lucas admitted.

“I’m glad because we liked him too,” Ric replied.

“Where’s Matilda?” Belle asked.

“Grounded. Dad and Beth were furious with her for fighting,” Lucas replied with a grin.

“Is she in a right mess? You should see the shiner on Cassie!” Ric remarked.

“I just can’t believe it of Matilda, apparently you saw it though,” Lucas asked of Ric.

“Yeah, they were wild!” Ric grinned.

“Matilda doesn’t look too bad today, she has a few scratches and bruises but she’s more sore than anything,” Lucas remarked.

“So how does it feel to have two women fighting over you hey Lucas?” Belle teased.

“Weird. They weren’t really fighting over me though,” he replied.

“You keep telling yourself that,” Belle smiled as Dylan joined them.

“So are you and Mattie made up?” Ric asked.

“Pretty much,” Lucas replied.

“How’s Cassie today? Lucas told me about the fight,” Dylan asked.

“She’s got a bit of a black eye,” Ric replied.

“Speak of the devil and the devil doth appear,” Dylan remarked indicating to where Cassie had just walked in.

“Good, about time she showed up. Excuse us a minute boys but Ric and I have something to attend to with Cassie. You see you’re not the only couple she’s been trying to break up,” Belle explained. Dylan and Lucas watched as hand in hand they approached Cassie.

“Your shot,” Dylan told Lucas.

“Somehow I think this will be more entertaining,” Lucas replied and Dylan was forced to agree.

Sutty watched as Rachel left her house and began walking in the direction of the Beach and the Diner. He waited a few minutes before emerging from his hiding place and following her. Since he had thrown his mobile in the sea days earlier he had been keeping a low profile and had been in hiding but the urge to see Rachel again had proved too difficult. Last night he had given into temptation and camped himself out in the bushes across the road from the house where she was staying. This was the first time she had emerged from the house and so he was following her. He was determined to know everything about her, what she was doing but more importantly whether she had a boyfriend or not. He really needed to speak to Jesse and find out if there had been any developments but making a call on a public telephone when there was a possibility one of Gus’s spies was watching, was something Sutty had not quite managed yet. Rachel was walking along the beach now, her dark, curly hair bouncing in the wind, her step light and carefree. Sutty loved watching her. Actually he loved everything about her, he always had. She had made a nice life for herself here. He liked Summer Bay, the people seemed friendly and welcoming and it was so beautiful. He could easily see himself settled here, with Rachel, but as long as Gus was after him, there was no chance of peace. He wondered what the chances were of convincing Rachel to go to New Zealand with him? Sutty was so deep in thought he almost lost track of her but then he saw her entering the back door of a house on the Beach Front. Keeping back from the house he settled himself in some bushes where he could watch the house and wait for Rachel to emerge. His thoughts wandered back to the past, to when he and Rachel had been together first time around, she was obviously no longer close to her Dad so maybe they did stand a chance now. The very thought excited him, he just needed Gus out of the picture and then everything would be perfect. Suddenly there was a noise behind him and Sutty turned but he was not quick enough, a handcuff was clicked onto his right arm and a strong hand pulled his left arm round and cuffed them together.

“What are you doing?” he demanded, horrified.

“I’m arresting you on suspicion of stalking Kirsty and Kane Philips you do not have to say anything but anything you do say may be given in evidence,” the man replied, Sutty swore to himself under his breath. Kane and Kirsty must have gone the Police and now he had been stupid enough to get himself arrested and he’d be back inside before he could say ‘I love you Rachel’. He could not believe he had been so stupid, all his dreams lay in tatters now as he was pushed into the waiting Police car.

Selina’s whole body felt heavy as she opened her eyes and then flickered them, again and again, amazed to find that suddenly she could move. She knew that Joey had given her another drug the night before so presumably it had knocked her out again but now it appeared she could move! She stretched out her arms but found they were still bound together with rope, as where her legs.

“Oh look, she’s awake. He will be pleased.” It was a woman’s voice but not the one from the night before. This voice was more high pitched and younger. The light in the door framed the owner so Selina could not tell much about her except that she was tall and slim.

“Who are you, where’s Joey?” Selina demanded.

“Joey will be back soon enough, he’s attending to things,” she replied.

“What things, why is he doing this to me?” Selina demanded.

“That’s Joey’s story to tell but you must be pretty dumb not to have figured it out before now,” the woman sneered.

“Figured what out? I don’t understand!” Selina begged.

“What about if I tell you that you’ll soon be joining Teri Garner in the next life, will you get it then?” the woman teased.

“What? Teri Garner, she’s dead? How?” Selina was horrified.

“I killed her,” the woman replied, in a tone that implied she was proud of it.

“You’re crazy! Why would you kill Teri?” Selina demanded.

“Because she killed my Dad and you helped,” the woman replied.

“Your Dad? I’ve never had a part in killing anyone!” Selina argued.

“What if I was to tell you that Joey is my half brother?” she demanded.

“Joey’s your…you mean your Dad’s…This is about Saul?!” Selina was stunned.

“God you’re slow! Yes it’s about Saul, I only realised he was my father last year, my stupid mother adopted me out you see but when I set about finding him he was dead, thanks to you,” she snapped.

“I didn’t have anything to do with it!” Selina protested.

“Of course you did. Joey defended you at first as well but I quickly turned him round. It’s amazing how quickly schizophrenia can re-appear when somebody plays with your mind,” she replied, her voice low and menacing.

“You did what? You mean this has nothing to do with Joey?” Selina demanded.

“No but he’s been a useful pawn. Although it’s quite possible he’ll go down for Teri’s murder now. See that’s the problem with good people, they always keep some sense of decency. Joey couldn’t believe that she was dead so he had to go and check. Now the crime scene, which I had left so carefully free of evidence, is littered with his DNA. Never mind though, at least it'll save me killing him when I phone the police and tell them where he is,” she replied, nonchalantly.

“Why bring Joey into this?” Selina demanded.

“He was useful, he gave me information on you, on how you were involved with Saul. He told me how much Irene loved you and I figured that if Irene’s new golden girl Tasha was seduced by a cult, darling Irene would call on her precious Selina to come back and save her. Of course what happened,” the woman explained.

“I was moving back to the Bay anyway,” Selina insisted.

“Guess I just got lucky then.”

“Where’s Tasha now?” Selina demanded.

“Don’t worry, she’s safe. Mamma has business to attend to with her,” the woman replied.

“What sort of business?” Selina asked.

“You should be more worried about yourself,” the woman replied, her sneer turning into a maniacal grin.

Thanks for the reviews. Sorry it's been a while since I updated, I got my newest skydiving qualification, finished a whole ton of important cases and then Liverpool won the FA cup so I've been on what us scousers call a three day bender and my head wasn't up to writing much before yesterday!

Hopefully I've made up for it by writing two chapters! Please read and review.xx

Thanks as always to my excellent proof reader Jess, I really appreciate that you take the time to read my chapters through for me. Thanks.xx

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

“I found him hiding in the bushes watching the Beach House,” the plain clothed Detective told Peter.

“Great, thanks a lot Mark.” Peter dismissed his colleague then turned to face an angry looking Sutty.

“This is harassment! I haven’t done anything!” Sutty protested.

“What’s your name?” Peter demanded.

“I don’t have to tell you that,” Sutty protested.

“Yes you do. Are you James Sutton?” Peter demanded.

“No!" Sutty’s horrified face told Peter his guess was spot on.

“Right so you are James Sutton, Sutty. Look James I really need you to co-operate with me here. I’m on your side, I promised Jesse you wouldn’t get into any trouble,” Peter told him.

“Jesse who?” Sutty replied.

“Look I know you don’t trust the cops but I’m working alone, outside police time on behalf of Kirsty and Kane. Jesse McGregor’s an old friend of mine, I went to see him and he told me what he knew, he’d want you to do the same,” Peter urged.

“You’re lying. Jesse wasn’t friends with any cops, you’re trying to get me to trip myself up,” Sutty argued.

“You just did, you admitted to knowing Jesse. Look if I have to I’ll prove it to you, we’ll phone Jesse and you can speak to him yourself,” Peter suggested.

“Go on then” Sutty urged, still not believing what Peter was telling him. Sighing Peter picked up the telephone.

“Hello it’s Detective Baker here, Yabbie Creek Police. Can I speak to Jesse McGregor please, it’s regarding a case he’s helping me with?” Peter asked, “Yes I’ll hold.” Peter kept his eyes on Sutty and pressed the loudspeaker button on the phone as he waited for Jesse. A process that took nearly ten minutes.

“Jesse McGregor?” Jesse’s familiar voice asked.

“Jesse it’s Peter Baker,” Peter greeted him.

“Hi Peter, any news?” Jesse asked.

“A few things. We’ve picked up your friend Sutty, James Sutton but he’s refusing to help me. I was wondering if you’d talk to him, you’re on loudspeaker in my office,” Peter told him.

“Who else is there?” Jesse asked, suspicious.

“Just Sutty and I,” Peter replied.

“Is that true Sut?” Jesse asked.

“Yeah he’s telling the truth,” Sutty replied.

“Great. Look Sut Peter’s an okay guy and this investigation’s unofficial. He doesn’t want you or me he just wants to nail Gus Philips and get him off both our backs and Kane’s for good. You’ve got to help him, tell him what you know,” Jesse urged.

“He’s a cop Jess,” Sutty reminded him.

“I know that but he was also a mate when he lived in the Bay, his brother is Leah’s husband, you’ll remember I told you about her?” Jesse asked.

“Yeah I remember,” Sutty replied, “So what am I meant to tell him?” Sutty asked.

“Everything you know about Gus. If Peter nails him you’ll be free Sut, you’ll be completely off the hook. Peter’s promised me you won’t get into trouble,” Jesse explained.

“And do you trust him?” Sutty demanded.

“Yeah I do,” Jesse supplied.

“Okay then,” Sutty consented.

“So you’ll help me?” Peter asked.

“I guess so. What do you need to know?” Sutty replied, as Peter breathed a sigh of relief.

The knot of anger inside Kane’s stomach tied itself tighter as he faced his father across the visiting table in the prison. Everything about Gus wound him up, the fact that they looked similar, the soulless eyes, the permanent sneer, the superior attitude.

“Well?” Kane demanded, sitting down.

“Don’t I even get a hello son?” Gus asked, the sarcasm heavy in his voice.

“Surely we can skip the pleasantries. We both know why I’m here so how about we get on with it and you tell me what you want me to do?” Kane demanded.

“Alright then if that’s how you want it.”

“Yes it is. You said this was about money, five grand in a safety deposit box?” Kane asked.

“Keep yer voice down will yer! That’s five grand for you, there’s more than that in there. All I need you to do is transfer the money from one safety deposit box to another, easy,” Gus explained.

“What’s the catch?” Kane demanded.

“No catch,” Gus insisted.

“Why does it have to be me then? Surely one of your mates could do it for you, you seem to have men to spare to watch me,” Kane snapped.

“They’re no good to me,” Gus insisted.

“Why?”

“Because I stupidly gave my name in so the box can only be opened by someone with the name of Philips,” Gus replied, “Scotty’s inside so that only leaves you.”

“Why can’t the money just stay where it is?” Kane demanded.

“Because I’m worried about it. I’ve heard roumers the police are investigating me over something or another so it’s only a matter of time before they start looking into my financial accounts. I want the money safely away from there,” Gus explained.

“So it’s not legal, you mean?” Kane demanded.

“Of course it’s not legal you thick bugger, if it was legal I’d phone the bloody bank manager,” Gus snapped.

“Well where do I move it to?” Kane asked.

“I’ve set up another bank account under the name of Philip Gusavo, it’s an offshore account but the money needs to be deposited into a local account before it can be transferred offshore,” Gus explained.

“What if the police are already onto the money and they’re watching me?” Kane demanded.

“I seriously doubt they’re that far ahead but it’s a risk we have to take. I don’t have to remind you of what happens if you don’t do this, do I?” Gus demanded.

“Yeah I get it. So basically you want to avoid the police by moving this money and you want me to take any flak for it?” Kane snapped.

“Basically,” Gus agreed.

“Doesn’t seem particularly fair,” Kane replied.

“Life’s not bloody fair! If it was I wouldn’t be in here and I wouldn’t have a useless drongo like you for a son now would I?” Gus spat.

“The feelings mutual. I’m not exactly proud of you either,” Kane shot back.

“Well unfortunately we don’t get to choose do we? So are you going to do it?” Gus demanded.

“I don’t have a choice do I?” Kane snapped.

“No,” Gus replied, grinning.

“So what are the details then?”

“I’m not telling you that in here. I’ll put it in a letter, it’ll be well disguised of course because of the nosy buggers who read the mail but you’ll recognise the important information. It’ll come directly after the sentences reading ‘I love you son’,” Gus explained.

“You’re sick, you know that?” Kane snapped.

“And you’re pathetic but I don’t moan do I? Go on, **** off out of here. You’ll receive the letter soon enough and you better not let me down,” Gus threatened.

“As if I’d dare.” Kane stood up and stormed out of the prison and in doing so missed the evil grin on Gus’s face.

“Ready to face the world again?” Lucas teased Matilda.

“I don’t know, does my face look okay?” Matilda demanded.

“For God’s sake I was joking, stop being so vain,” Lucas snapped, frowning. He and Matilda had made up after the events of the other day but there was still something wrong with their relationship. Lucas seemed to be noticing more and more things he did not like about her, something he had never thought possible before they had broken up.

“Geez chill out will you,” Matilda chided.

“Don’t tell me what to do,” Lucas shot back. He headed out of the house with Matilda hot on his heels.

“Luke, what’s up with us?” she asked, catching him up.

“Honestly? I don’t know.” Lucas turned to her. She was still the most beautiful girl he knew but there was something missing now when he looked at her, the old chemistry was gone.

“You don’t still think I cheated with Dylan or Ric do you?” Matilda demanded.

“No of course not but something’s changed Mattie. You’ve changed, I’ve changed, I’m not so sure we’re compatible anymore,” Lucas admitted.

“Not compatible?” Matilda looked confused.

“Yeah. I used to think we were so similar but the stuff with Cassie, you fought with her, you know I despise any form of fighting. The Dylan thing, okay maybe you didn’t cheat with him but you did flirt with him and don’t bother denying it. I’d never dream of flirting with another girl Mattie yet you do it so easily,” Lucas told her.

“It doesn’t mean anything though, it’s just harmless fun,” Matilda argued.

“Maybe but are you honestly trying to tell me that you weren’t tempted?” Lucas demanded.

“No I wasn’t!” Matilda protested.

“You’re lying. There’s another thing, if it was me I’d just tell the truth but not you; you have to over-complicate things. Cassie caused trouble in our relationship yet somehow it seemed more like she caused trouble for Matilda, not Luke and Matilda,” Lucas explained, “Take Ric and Belle for example. Cassie caused trouble there but instead of racing off to confront her and getting angry Belle talked it over with Ric and they confronted Cassie together. When I tried to speak to you, you didn’t want to talk about you and me, it was all about what Cassie had done to you.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realise!” Matilda protested.

“No, you never do,” Lucas replied.

“So what does this mean? What are you saying Luke?” she demanded.

“I don’t know Mattie. Can you honestly tell me that you still want to be with me the way you did when we first got together?” Lucas asked. Matilda nodded but then shrank back under Lucas’s glare and shook her head sadly.

“I do still want to be with you,” she protested.

“And I believe you. But it’s not enough and it’s not just you, I feel the same. Things haven’t been right for a while,” Lucas told her.

“So what do we do about it?” Matilda asked quietly, almost not wanting to hear the answer.

“We need to split up,” Lucas confirmed, “We both need space to figure out what we want, you need to figure out what you feel for Dylan,” Lucas told her, Matilda just looked at him, disbelieving but as he walked away she made no move to stop him. Deep in her heart she knew he was right.

Selina had been alone for hours now, at least it seemed like she had. She was tired and sore and thirsty. Her mind was a jumble of puzzles, nothing made sense anymore. Joey’s schizophrenia was back but he hadn’t actually done anything wrong. It was all that woman, whoever she was. A shadow blocked the light over the door and Selina looked up, expecting to see the woman back but her visitor turned out to be Joey and she sighed with relief.

“Hey,” she greeted him but Joey did not respond, he merely moved towards her and it only took a second for Selina to realise that he was holding another syringe. More drugs.

“Irene misses you, you know Joey?” Selina commented, desperately trying to find a way to get through to him and to her immense relief it stopped him but only momentarily.

“Don’t let her talk, she’s out to get you,” he muttered and Selina took a deep breath.

“Joey it’s Selina, I’m your friend, I want to help. Tiegan was on the phone the other day,” she tried.

“Whore, dirty little slut!” Joey responded.

“You know that Saul loved me don’t you Joey?” she tried again and this time Joey stopped and looked at her.

“You killed him,” he spat.

“No, no not me, I cared for him. I never wanted him to die,” Selina replied.

“She says he died because of you!” Joey snapped.

“She’s lying Joey, Saul loved me, his death wasn’t my fault, she did it. It was all her. Don’t you see Joey, she’s playing with your head. I’ll bet you Saul didn’t talk to you until she turned up again,” Selina told him.

“Because you killed him. Bitch, bitch must die,” he muttered.

“No not me Joey, it was her, all her. She’s dangerous Joey she wants to kill us both. She's using you, once she gets you to kill me she's going to get you arrested or kill you, you have to believe me. She’s evil!” Selina protested.

“Daughter of Satan, lying whore!”

“Not me Joey, her. It was all her. Saul wouldn’t want this, he’d want you to help me. Ask him? He talks to you doesn’t he? Ask him if he wants you to hurt me,” Selina begged.

“Is that true?” Joey muttered, “whore must die,” he continued. His heart sank.

“Not me Joey, her, she wants to kill you. Let me help you Joey, you untie me and we’ll get out of here together, you and me. We’ll get away from her and we’ll go to Irene’s. Remember Irene, remember how she cared for you?” Selina asked. She could see the recognition in his eyes, she was getting to him, she knew she was. “Please Joey you’ve got to believe me, we’re in real danger. You have to untie me!” Selina begged. Joey was watching her, his expression was one of utter confusion and Selina felt guilty but what else was she meant to do? He moved towards her now and Selina sighed with relief, he was going to untie her! Then she caught sight of the syringe still grasped in his hand and suddenly she no longer felt confident.

And the second chapter...

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

“I don’t know if that’s helped you at all,” Sutty told Peter. It had been two hours since the phone conversation with Jesse and in that time Sutty had told Peter everything he knew.

“No, it has helped. At least we now know why he wants this doing. Obviously he’s up to his eyeballs and he’s planning to pin everything on Kane again to get himself off. It’s revenge because Kane didn’t go down last time,” Peter replied.

“Why does he hate his son so much?” Sutty asked.

“God knows,” Peter replied, “I’m more worried about you for now,” Peter admitted.

“Me?”

“Yeah from what I’ve heard of Gus he’s not one to let treachery lie and he’s not heard from you in days, I wouldn’t be surprised if he sends someone after you,” Peter told him.

“I know, that’s why I’ve been lying low,” Sutty replied.

“Not low enough if we caught you. The way I see it you either contact Gus, say you’ve lost your phone and go back to working for him,” Peter suggested.

“No way! That’s not going to happen, I want nothing to do with anything dodgy. I want to stay away from him,” Sutty protested.

“Well the only other alternative I see is to go into witness protection, we can put your mother in with you. You’ll get a new identity, new names, a new life. James Sutton will be as good as dead,” Peter told him.

“No way,” Sutty replied firmly.

“But I don’t understand why, what’s stopping you?” Peter asked, frustrated.

“I’m not doing it, I’m not going to lose her again,” Sutty protested.

“Her? Who is she? Your Mum? Your girlfriend? We can keep her safe too,” Peter offered.

“You don’t get it!” Sutty snapped.

“So tell me?” Peter urged.

“The only girl I ever loved. I lost her once and now I have a chance to get her back, I’m not going to lose her again,” Sutty insisted.

“Even if it puts you in danger?” Peter demanded.

“Even if. Gus won’t look for me here anyway, this’ll be the last place he’ll think to look for me,” Sutty insisted.

“It’s too risky. I really don’t want your death on my concience,” Peter told him.

“It’s not your decision though. I’m not going into witness protection, I’ll take my chances. I do need to ask a favour though?” Sutty asked.

“What’s that?”

“Can you not let on to anyone what my role in this has been? I’d rather start again with a clean slate. This seems like a really nice town and I want to start over here, I really want to forget my past,” Sutty explained.

“I won’t say anything Sutty but I wish you’d reconsider, for your own safety,” Peter urged.

“No can do I’m sorry, I want to forget the past but I’m not going to hide from it,” Sutty replied.

“I really hope your past will let you forget. If you’re going to be living in the Bay you’ll probably come to know me as Peter Baker,” Peter told him.

“Nice to meet you Peter Baker, I’m James Sutton, call me Jamie though, Sutty’s someone I want to lose,” he explained.

“Jamie it is then.” The two men shook hands and Sutty left the station, leaving Peter feeling incredibly anxious about his safety.

“Well?” Kirsty demanded of Kane as he entered the house. Kane gestured that they go through to the bedroom and shut the door behind them.

“He wants me to transfer money,” Kane told her.

“How do you mean transfer money?” Kirsty demanded.

“Exactly that. He wants me to transfer money from one bank account to the next,” Kane explained.

“Why?” Kirsty asked.

“Apparently the money’s dodgy and the police are investigating him so he needs to move the money before the police get onto it,” Kane told her.

“So why do you have to do it? What’s wrong with one of his prison buddies doing it?” Kirsty demanded.

“Something about the name of Philips being attached to the account and only someone who can prove their name is Philips can move the money.”

“Is it risky then?”

“I think so, I don’t think he really cares much if I get into trouble,” Kane remarked.

“Guess not. At least if Peter knows about it you can’t get into trouble,” Kirsty replied.

“I guess so. I just can’t help thinking there’s more to it than this,” Kane told her.

“Yeah I know what you mean but what more can there be? He’s in trouble and needs money moving from one bank account to another. Only you can do it because of your name and the money’s from a dodgy source, which is why he can’t do it legitimately. The only problem I can see is that you might get into trouble with the police but seen as Peter’s working with us that’s not going to happen. Maybe Gus thinks that the Police will arrest you, perhaps that’s what he’s hoping but he doesn’t know we’ve already cleared things with them does he?” Kirsty reminded.

“I guess not,” Kane replied.

“So are you going to phone Peter and see what he thinks?”

“I already tried but his phone’s off, I’ll just have to keep trying. In the meantime how about I treat my beautiful wife to an early dinner at the Diner?” Kane offered.

“Your extremely beautiful and clever and talented wife would very much like that,” Kirsty replied with a grin. Kane smiled and kissed her gently.

“I love you so much, you know babe?” he told her.

“You better had do,” she replied, kissing him.

“You know I do. Go on I’ll try Peter again while you go get Matthew ready,” Kane urged.

“Sure babe.” Kirsty headed off to the bedroom and Kane watched her go. No matter how things went with Gus at least he had Kirsty and with her at his side he could cope with just about anything.

“I’m very sorry if you think your complaint has been ignored Mrs Robinson, I assure you that’s not the case we’ve just been very busy. Yes I understand the litter is unbearable, yes and the noise too. I don’t know if they have planning permission, I think different people find different things acceptable Mrs Robinson, some people think it’s perfectly normal to live in tents. I thought gypsies lived in caravans though? Right I see, these are different types of gypsies…” Jack rolled his eyes at Lara as he continued to placate the irate Mrs Robinson, a regular busybody who called to complain about any minor thing. Lara stuck her tongue out at him and Jack glared at her. She had handed him the phone promising that it was a call of vital importance and now she was enjoying his discomfort. “Right Mrs Robinson, just three tents you say? Surely a gypsy camp would have more tents than that? Yes, yes I understand, terrible noises? Yes Mrs Robinson I appreciate that your ears are sensitive. What am I going to do about it? Well I’m going to send PC Fitzgerald round to the camp immediately to have a word with them,” Jack told his caller, Lara’s face dropped.

“Yes she’ll make sure they have planning permission and she’ll tell them to keep the noise down, yes she’ll come and see you and tell you how she gets on. Right I’ll tell her,” Jack offered, while Lara was indicating that she would like to cut his throat but Jack merely smiled sweetly at her, “Bye Mrs Robinson it was nice talking to you too.” Jack hung up the phone and turned to face Lara.

“You..you…” she began.

“You started this by handing me the call now are you going to go and sort this for the nice Mrs Robinson or are you going to let her down and wait for her to complain to Sarge?” Jack asked her.

“If I’m going you’re coming with me,” Lara insisted.

“No way! I already spoke to her today, it’s your turn,” Jack replied.

“If you don’t come I’ll report you to the Sarge for making false promises and he’ll want to know why you agreed to go out there in the first place. You know as well as I do that he’ll see it as a waste of resources,” Lara reminded.

“Fine you win, I’ll come!” Jack grinned at her.

“Hello Jack.” Jack turned to see an angry Martha standing behind him.

“I’ll wait in the car,” Lara offered.

“What are you doing here Martha?” Jack asked.

“Well I thought seeing as you didn’t phone or come round last night that I’d come and see if there’s any point us having a relationship,” Martha told him.

“Oh come on Martha that’s not fair. You know how hard I’ve been working, I was shattered last night,” Jack protested.

“Looks like you’re working really hard, flirting with your pretty female colleague,” Martha snapped.

“Oh give it a break Martha, Lara’s my friend and colleague, am I not allowed to talk to her now? Look I’ve got to go, we’ve got a call out to do. How about I take you out for a meal tonight?” Jack suggested in an attempt to appease her.

“Fine but you better not let me down Jack, there’s only so much being let down that a girl can take,” Martha told him.

“I’ll be there, eight at yours, see you.” He kissed her on the cheek and left the police station leaving Martha standing there and not sure what to think.

Rachel was so deep in thought as she entered the Surf Club that she did not notice the tall figure who collided with her.

“Hey!” Kim’s voice cautioned, his arms holding her to steady her from falling.

“Sorry, I was miles away,” Rachel apologised.

“It’s okay,” Kim told her, releasing her arms, “Are you okay?” he asked.

“Sure,” she replied, looking anything but.

“Come on, I have no clients for the next half an hour and Matt’s watching the counter so how about I treat you to a juice and you get it off your chest?” Kim suggested.

“What?” Rachel asked, slightly confused.

“Whatever’s bothering you, you need to talk about it. Come on,” Kim urged. He led her to the couches of the Juice Bar and ordered two fruit juices, one of which he placed in front of her.

“It’s just the situation at work,” Rachel admitted after taking a sip of her juice.

“What about it, is Doctor Helpman still harassing you? I thought you reported him?” Kim asked.

“I did and the board have suspended him pending an investigation but it seems like suddenly I can do nothing right. The whole of the senior team, Doctor’s, the governors, the Board, they’re all against me. There’s constant nit-picking and they’re hardly investigating Helpman at all. They don’t believe me,” Rachel explained.

“I’m sure that’s not true,” Kim soothed.

“It is though, you don’t see them; the way they are with me. It’ll only be a matter of days and then they’ll reinstate him, say there’s nothing to find and everyone will think I’m a liar. Things will get even worse,” Rachel confided.

“Surely they can’t do that?” Kim demanded.

“Of course they can, they can do anything.”

“Would it help if I had a word?” Kim asked.

“I don’t think so but thanks for the offer. I guess I’ve just got to stick it out and hope for the best,” Rachel remarked.

“Why don’t you investigate him yourself?” Kim suggested.

“How do you mean?” Rachel asked.

“Well didn’t you say that Nurse Julie warned you about him? She must have stuff on him, other Doctor’s and Nurses. Why don’t you speak to them, ask them to support you?” Kim suggested.

“You think that would work?” Rachel asked.

“It can’t hurt can it?”

“No I guess not. Thanks Kim, talking to you has helped, really,” Rachel told him.

“Any time, I hope we can still be friends Rach. I’m sorry I hurt you over the whole Kit thing,” Kim explained.

“It’s okay,” Rachel replied, she smiled at him and he gave her shoulders a brief squeeze, neither of them noticing that their movements were being observed very closely.

“This looks like the place. Some gypsy camp with only three tents,” Lara remarked as Jack parked the patrol car.

“Yeah that’s what I thought and don’t gypsies live in Caravans anyway?” Jack replied.

“Yeah this looks more like one of those camps, like the Believers,” Lara replied.

“No more likely it’s kids, there’d be more tents and stuff if it was one of those camps,” Jack told her.

“I guess so, just kids illegally camping then do you think?”

“We’ll soon find out,” Jack replied. “Hello?” The tents were silent. “Hello?” Jack tried again.

“Doesn’t look like anybody’s here,” Lara replied.

“No, should we take a look inside?” Jack asked.

“Yeah I think so,” Lara answered. Quietly she lifted the flap of the first tent. “This looks like food supplies, lots of them,” she told Jack.

“This one looks like someone’s bedroom but there’s not much here,” Jack replied from the furthest tent away. “I’m just going to look through these things, you check the middle tent,” Jack suggested.

“Right.” Jack was searching through the pockets of a pair of trousers when Lara called him into the other tent.

“What’s up?” he asked. He made his way to the tent where she was.

“Look at that.” She indicated to the four empty syringes on the ground and the remnants of rope, which looked as if somebody had hastily sawed away at it.

“Weird,” Jack remarked.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Lara asked.

“That someone was playing sordid sex games in here?” Jack teased.

“No that somebody was being held captive and drugged? Who does that sound like?” Lara asked.

“You mean Selina and Tasha?” Jack asked, suddenly realising what she was getting at, “You could be right. Damn it, if only we’d have taken Mrs Robinson more seriously when she called a few days ago!”

“We weren’t to know Jack and we still don’t know for definite do we?” Lara reminded him.

“No, but what bothers me is that if we’re right, where have they been taken? The ground’s too hard to get any footprints or anything from, they could have gone anywhere,” Jack told her.

“I know but surely our resident Mrs nosy would have noticed if they had?” Lara suggested.

“Of course you’re right, she watches their every move! This time I actually want to go speak to her, will you call it in? Get Peter down here?” Jack asked.

“Sure thing,” Lara replied and the two separated, Lara to the Police Car and Jack to grill the nosy but possibly very useful, Mrs Robinson

Archived