Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job SKYKAT.

Did anyone else notice that the scene between Selina talking to Joey was the same as Tasha telling Jonah the turth about the Believers. I could be wrong but you never know.

Thanks,

Jarad

“Of course it’s not legal you thick bugger, if it was legal I’d phone the bloody bank manager,” Gus snapped.

I loved that sarcastic humour! :oD

Her mind was a jumble of puzzles, nothing made sense anymore.

Great description. I'm really interested in Selina and Joey tho I don't know the characters.

Another great chapter. I loved the phone conversation with Mrs Robinson too, made the scene more realistic. The only "criticsim" I have is that too many people are "snapping". It's in context when Gus makes that sarcastic reply to Kane,but not all the time. Other than that, brilliant story.

Sorry I'm taking my time to post. I've been getting really horrendous migraines and the Doctor's told me I need to stay away from computers so I can only be on at short bursts of time so it's taking ages to write anything! I'll try and update as regulary as I can though. Please read and review so that i know people are still reading and thanks again to Jess for proof reading.xx

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

“And who is this?” Mrs Robinson demanded as Jack admitted Peter to the house.

“This is my colleague Detective Baker. Can you please tell him what you told me about the people at the camp Mrs Robinson?” Jack asked.

“Well like I said to young PC Holden here, just after I spoke to you a man and a girl left the tents and headed into the bush. I didn’t see much else but the girl seemed to be struggling a fair bit,” Mrs Robinson provided.

“Was the man the same one who you saw enter the middle tent just before you called us?” Jack interrupted.

“Yes, he came about an hour after the dark haired woman left,” Mrs Robinson confirmed.

“And these two women, were they the same person or different?” Jack asked.

“Different,” she confirmed once more.

“Could you identify these people if I was to show you photos Mrs Robinson?” Peter asked.

“I certainly could I know exactly what they…”

“Are the people you saw in these photos?” Peter interrupted as he took an assortment of random photos from his pocket and laid them out on the coffee table. In amongst them Jack spotted photos of Selina, Tasha, Joey, Mamma Rose and Jonah Mitchell.

“That’s him, that’s the man who was there this morning,” Mrs Robinson prodded Joey’s picture as if it were the man himself. Peter removed it from the pile and handed it to Jack.

“Right thanks, anyone else you recognise?” Peter asked.

“These two, they were there the other day but they must have left overnight because they weren’t there in the morning,” she explained, “I was watching all day you see, so I’d have noticed and they definitely didn’t leave the next day. They must have gone overnight. Their van was gone too the next morning, a hideous orange thing, very gypsy like,” Mrs Robinson sniffed.

“You’re certain of this?” Peter asked, handing the pictures that she had indicated to Jack. They showed Mamma Rose and Jonah Mitchell.

“Of course I’m certain, I never forget a face, I was well known for it back in…”

“I need you to remember Mrs Robinson, have you ever seen these two girls around the camp?” Peter held out the photographs of Tasha and Selina.

“No never and I’d remember, got a really good memory I have…”

“What about the girl who left with the man just before PC Holden arrived, could she have been one of these girls?” Peter demanded.

“No it couldn’t have been her, I’d have recognised that hair and the girl was taller anyway, it could have been the other one though,” Mrs Robinson replied.

“Do you remember what she was wearing?” Peter asked.

“She wore a long black coat, but that's all I could see. I was a fair distance away you know.”

“Yet you’re sure it was a woman?”

“Positive I caught a glimpse of long hair and the way she moved was very womanly.”

“Right, what about this other girl? Is it possible that these two girls might have left in the middle of the night with the woman and boy you just picked out?” Peter asked.

“No. It was just the three of them, that boy I first told you about, he helped them throw their bags in the van and then the two drove off,” she explained.

“So you did see them leave?” Peter demanded.

“Well the noise they were making woke me up so I watched from my window, I couldn’t see much though it was very dark and…”

“Why did you tell us that you never saw them leave?” Peter demanded.

“I never said that, I just said I assumed and anyway one doesn’t want to come across as a busybody now do they?”

“Imagine that,” Peter remarked dryly, causing Jack to smile.

“Mrs Robinson this is a Police investigation, anything you tell us will be considered useful not as nosiness,” Jack told her.

“Well I didn’t see anything else. They loaded the bags and left, one of the bags was heavy I think, two of them carried it but that’s all I saw,” she explained.

“Is it possible Mrs Robinson that the heavy bag was a person?” Peter asked.

“A person? No, I’d have noticed wouldn’t I?”

“Right, thanks for your help Mrs Robinson. Jack would you please go tell everyone that I want a thorough search of this area, it seems that Joey left this camp not more than half an hour ago accompanied by an unknown woman who may have been Selina, the woman was struggling which would suggest they can’t have gone far. Also we need to find the whereabouts of Mamma Rose and Jonah Mitchell, it seems likely that the baggage loaded into the car was Tasha,” Peter instructed.

“Right I’ll go now,” Jack said, racing out of the house.

“Thanks for your help Mrs Robinson, but there’s just one more photo I need to show you. I’ve only just remembered I had it. I don’t suppose you recognise this woman?” Peter asked.

“No sorry can’t say I do.”

“Are you certain Mrs Robinson? This is really important, are you sure that she couldn’t be the dark haired woman? What about if I showed you this?” Peter asked, holding out the driver’s license he had found at the house.

“Yes that’s her, that’s the woman,” Mrs Robinson confirmed.

“These pictures are of the same woman Mrs Robinson,” Peter told her.

“Go, way! You’re having me on! They’re nothing alike!” she examined the photos, “Strewth they are as well! I’d never have guessed.”

“Well thank you Mrs Robinson you’ve been extremely helpful.” Peter took his chance and escaped quickly from the house.

“Peter the search of the surrounding area is underway with particular focus on the bush area. We’ve got teams back at the Station trying to locate Mamma Rose and Jonah Mitchell,” Jack supplied.

“Good work,” Peter replied.

“The problem is that the bush here is so extensive that our men will struggle, whereas the official search and rescue would cope better,” Jack told him.

“What are you suggesting?”

“That we bring in Mr Stewart and the rescue teams. If anyone knows this area he does,” Jack suggested.

“Is it not a waste of resources?” Peter asked.

“Not really, they’re a voluntary organisation and their friends are the ones missing,” Jack explained.

“But what about Rainbow? He’s unstable, there’s no knowing what he’ll do,” Peter argued.

“So pair the search teams with police officers for safety, it’d make the search much easier,” Jack insisted.

“Okay do it. Get in touch with Alf Stewart and see who he can get together but we need them quickly. In the meantime we’ll have our teams out searching, there’s only a few hours of light left and I refuse to continue this search after dark because this area of bush is pretty dangerous and I want officers to outnumber civilians,” Peter replied.

“I’m onto it,” Jack replied.

“I just hope to God we’re doing the right thing,” Peter remarked to Jack’s retreating back. If Peter was right there was more than one psycho in this area to watch out for.

“And what would you have us do Lady?” Irene rounded furiously on Josie.

“I don’t know; something, anything! We should be out looking for them,” Josie insisted.

“It’s best if we just leave the Police to it,” Barry replied, calmly.

“Every day they’re missing they’re in more danger and we’re doing nothing!” Josie argued.

“You think I don’t know that? I love those girlies and if anything’s happened to them!” Irene took a deep breath in a feeble attempt to control her rising emotions.

“I’m sorry Irene, I just feel so helpless and Ian’s on my back” Josie explained.

“You’re still in touch with that flippin’ pervert?” Irene demanded.

“No, he phoned me yesterday. He heard everything on the news and wanted to know what was going on,” Josie replied.

“You keep him away from Tasha, do you hear me?” Irene warned.

“Irene he’ll go nowhere near Tasha, I promise. He’s just concerned,” Josie explained.

“Concerned? He wasn’t flippin’ concerned when he was gawking at us on CCTV was he?” Irene shot at her as Stephen moved to answer the ringing phone.

“Will you two give it a break?!? I’m sick of you arguing, it’s all you’ve done since Josie arrived so give it a rest! We’re all on edge!” Robbie finally snapped at them both.

“Sorry love, she just winds me up, rocking up with her…”

“Enough Irene. Robbie’s right, arguing isn’t going to help Tasha or Selina is it?” Barry spoke up and earned glares from Josie and Irene in the process.

“Who was on the phone love? Any news?” Irene demanded of Stephen.

“It was Alf. The police think they know where Sel and Tasha have been being held. It appears one of them was taken away in the middle of the night a few nights ago but the other walked out of the camp with Joey just under an hour ago. The police want to co-ordinate a search team and need volunteers. As many people as soon as possible,” Stephen explained, the glimmer of hope giving colour to his ashen cheeks for the first time since Selina had disappeared.

“I’m in,” Josie offered immediately.

“And me.” Barry and Robbie gave their support at the same time.

“I’m not trained but I’ll be damned if you’re leaving me behind!” Irene protested.

“Wouldn’t dream of it!” Stephen grinned, “Would you see if Kane will come please Barry?” Barry nodded and went into Kirsty and Kane’s bedroom, emerging almost instantly with Kane.

“Of course I’m in,” he replied.

“Great, shall we go then? The sooner we find Selina and Tasha the better,” Stephen remarked as the group hurriedly prepared to leave the house.

Rachel had just been leaving the surf club when she had realised she had forgotten to ask Beth something so she turned and headed back in, colliding instantly with another body.

“Watch it,” the other voice said and the familiarity of it caused Rachel to look up with a start.

“Jamie?” she asked, stunned to see him.

“Hey Rach,” Sutty replied, looking a little guilty. Rachel merely stared at him. “I’m sorry, I know this is a shock, can we talk though?” he asked, Rachel said nothing so Sutty put her arm in his and guided her down towards the Beach. Suddenly she turned on him.

“What are you doing here Jay?” she demanded.

“I came to see you, I heard you were here,” he replied.

“When did you get out?” she asked with more than a hint of anger evident in her voice.

“A few weeks ago. I had to come and see you Rach, to explain, to say sorry,” he protested.

“No, I don’t want to hear it!” Rachel took off at a run, her insides in turmoil.

“Rach wait! Please, you’ve got to hear me out, please!” he begged, catching up with her.

“Just go away, I never want to see you again, do you hear me?”

“No, not until you let me explain. I love you Rachel and I need to tell you why I did what I did,” he insisted.

“Don’t you say that! Don’t you dare say you love me! Not after what you did!”

“Please Rach, I made a mistake. I wanted to impress you, I loved you so much and I knew I’d never be good enough for you. I just wanted to impress you, to get you something beautiful, please Rach,” he begged.

“So you stole from Mr Bank’s shop?” Rachel demanded.

“I didn’t know he was a friend of your fathers,” Sutty protested.

“And that makes it alright does it? You stole Jamie it doesn’t matter who you stole from, you still stole!”

“I know and I’ve had five years to come to terms with it. I know it was wrong Rach, I’m never going down that road again. I just wanna stay clean, I never want to go inside again,” Sutty insisted.

“Was it horrible?” she asked, softening.

“Yeah, pretty rough but I made a few good mates in there. One in particular got me through. I’m a different person now Rach, I’d never do anything like that ever again. Thinking of you was what got me through the last five years, please can’t we at least be friends? I love you so much I don’t know how I’ll cope if you’re not in my life, please?” he begged.

“Jay you hurt me so badly, what you did was wrong on so many levels. I don’t think I can forgive that,” Rachel told him.

“Please can you try though? I’m begging you Rach, I might as well be back inside if you’re not a part of my life,” he told her.

“That’s emotional blackmail!” Rachel seethed.

“I don’t mean it to be. Look Rach, if you can look me in the eye and tell me you no longer have feelings for me, then I’ll go. I’ll walk away and you’ll never see me again,” Sutty promised.

“There’s no future for us!” Rachel argued.

“Say it, say you don’t love me?” Jamie demanded, tears were forming in Rachel’s eyes. “You can’t can you? I love you so much Rach and as long as we love each other we can get past this. If you’re willing to give it a try?” he wiped the tears gently from her face causing shivers to race through Rachel’s body.

“We can’t be together, I’m not ready,” she insisted.

“Friends then? Please Rach,” he begged.

“Okay friends,” Rachel felt ashamed of herself for giving in so easily but his nearness seemed to be knocking out all of her senses. “If you ever let me down again though…” she began.

“I’m never going to, I swear.” He pulled her into his arms and held her tightly and Rachel let the tears fall but at the same time felt safer than she had in a long, long time.

“Sorry to interrupt you Doc,” the voice belonged to Alf and Rachel spun round guiltily.

“What’s up Alf?” she asked, embarrassed.

“It’s just we’ve had a lead on the whereabouts of Selina and Tasha and the Police want full search teams. I’ve got Barry, Stephen, Robbie, Kane and Josie from the Beach House, Dan and Tony are coming and I need to pop into Noah’s and recruit Kim and Martha but will you come? It’ll be useful to have a Doc on site,” Alf told her.

“Of course I will. This is my friend Jamie, he’ll help too,” Rachel added.

“Great, we best get moving then. Jamie will you help us haul this gear over and will you go get Kim and Martha Doctor please?” Alf asked.

“Sure.” Rachel disappeared, a smile on her face and Alf set a grinning Jamie to work.

“Joey I can’t keep running like this, I’m so tired and I feel all funny,” Selina told him desperately as she stopped for breath, leaning against a tree for support.

“No we have to get away! Move, move, keep moving!” Joey pulled her again to her feet and Selina stumbled.

“I can’t, Joey I’m exhausted, please!” Selina begged. Joey looked at her and then sat back on his heels, rocking forwards and backwards, his head in his hands muttering to himself. Selina took a second to catch her breath. She knew Joey was right, it would only be a matter of time before the woman came looking for them, if she had not already done so and the last thing Selina wanted was to be caught again but she was so tired. Days of being drugged made her feel lethargic and the nausea in the pit of her stomach threatened permanently to overwhelm her. There was also the terror about her baby, what if the drugs had harmed him or her? Her ankles were swollen like molehills at the bottom of the tree trunks she had for legs and her sense of balance was deteriorating with every step she took.

“Look Joey I know we have to get away from her but I’m exhausted and neither of us have eaten or drank anything in hours,” Selina told him.

“No. Danger!” Joey was almost crying now and Selina was terrified that if the woman was following them she would hear every word.

“What do we do then?” Selina asked desperately.

“Climb and hide! Danger, climb and hide!” Joey’s response made no sense to Selina as he pulled her once more to her feet and pulled her after him through the dense woodland. He stopped at the foot of a huge, thick, sturdy tree and pointed upwards. “Climb and hide! Danger! Climb and hide!” Selina watched puzzled as he climbed his way up the tree with the agility of a monkey and held his hand out to her. “Climb and hide! Danger! Climb and hide!” he whispered from the tree and Selina managed to smile more out of relief than happiness. She held her hand up to Joey and slowly climbed the tree. When she was younger she had been good at things like this but being so tired from the drugs and thought of hurting her baby made her slow. However eventually she managed to settle herself in the lower branches of the tree.

“Higher! Climb and hide! Danger! Climb and hide!” Joey whispered as he climbed further into the tree. Reluctantly and slowly Selina followed him higher up but was amazed at what she saw. Joey was sitting inside a tree house, not overly large in size but sturdy and sheltered.

“Joey you’re a genius! How did you know this was here?” Selina asked but Joey was back to rocking again and muttering to himself so Selina settled herself down on the floor of the tree house and as the waves of tiredness enveloped her, she fell into a deep sleep.

“Okay guys, everyone back to base. It’s too dark to continue,” Peter’s voice came out over the portable radios.

“No way! I am going back, we are not stopping this search while Selina might be out there!” Stephen announced.

“We don’t have a choice mate, it’s pitch black. We can’t see a thing, best to get an early night and then start at the crack of dawn,” Jack, the officer in charge of their search team replied.

“No way! I’m not going until I find her,” Stephen insisted.

“He’s right you know Stephen, we’re not going to find them in the dark,” Tony told him.

“I can’t just leave her! We’re so close, please! I can sense it!” Stephen protested.

“No Stephen I’m sorry but it ends here for tonight,” Jack insisted causing Stephen to glare angrily back at him.

“Stephen love, Jack’s right. There’s nothing more that can be done here tonight, we need some rest. I’m as keen to find them as anyone but it’s not going to happen tonight,” Rachel told him putting a comforting arm around the shoulder of a guy she hardly knew but who she knew needed comforting.

“Guys I repeat, that’s everyone back to base, it’s too dark to continue. Angel’s suggested we all stop at her house because it’s closest and we can resume the search from there at the crack of dawn tomorrow,” Peter’s voice announced over the radio.

“All clear,” Jack replied.

“You hear that Stephen? We’re all going to Angel’s and we’ll have some food and rest and make an early start tomorrow,” Rachel soothed.

“I guess,” Stephen admitted reluctantly.

“Come on, you’re shattered and Doctor Armstrong insists so you best do as she says,” Jamie spoke up causing Rachel to glare at him but she smiled as she did so.

“Okay I’ll come back to Angel’s. I just want her home so badly!” Stephen explained.

“I know, we all do. Tomorrow though,” Jack told them all.

“Agreed.” The group turned and headed out of the bush.

From his perch in the trees Joey watched them go and then rocked back and forwards, his head in his hands, muttering quietly to himself. And still Selina slept on.

Archived