Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

“Gus Philips I know I don’t have a VO I was meant to come yesterday but something came up, please you have to let me see him, he’s my Dad.” Kane almost choked over the word but it seemed to have the desired effect on the Gate Warden. He pulled out his radio and spoke to somebody on the other end. Within minutes Kane had been admitted and was undergoing the compulsory body search then he was ushered into a room and before he was ready he was in the same breathing space as his father. Kane felt his anger rising as Gus waved him over and it took every ounce of strength to not grab him by the collar and beat the hell out of him.

“So you got my warning then?” the sneer on Gus’s face wound Kane up even more, his stomach was knotted like a coiled spring but he did not want to get thrown out, Peter was relying on him and Kirsty’s safety depended on it.

“Yeah I go it and if you ever threaten my wife again I swear I’ll…”

“You’re not holding the cards here son, I am. Why didn’t you come yesterday?”

“Matthew’s not been well and Kirst was shaken up so I didn’t dare leave her,” Kane lied.

“Not even for her own safety?”

“Have you ever tried telling a woman what to do?”

“See that’s where you go wrong son you tell em but what you really need to do is show them who’s boss,” Gus replied.

“What like you did you mean? Knock them about? Half kill them? Is that how you get your kicks huh?” Kane’s anger was building again.

“Now now son, that temper of yours will cause you serious problems one day,” Gus warned.

“What like land me up in prison? I’m not you,” Kane snapped back.

“No you’re not, you actually care about your little wife which means I have the power. Never care about anyone and no-one can hurt you, it’s a good rule,” Gus told him.

“But a really lonely one,” Kane replied.

“If you’re happy with yourself there’s no need to be lonely is there?”

“What you trying to tell me you’re really happy with yourself? With your life? With the way things have turned out? With being in here?” Kane was incredulous.

“No but then it shouldn’t be me in here, it should be you and that is why you owe me and little wife is the reason you’ll do what I say, am I right or what?” Gus was tormenting him and enjoying it. Kane took a deep breath, followed by several more.

“What do you want me to do? Just tell me so I can get out of here,” Kane demanded.

“All in good time,” Gus replied.

“Theres only five minutes left of visiting time!” Kane knew he was being messed about and it made him furious.

“I know but now you know your little wife is in serious danger I have you were I want you and for now that’s where you’ll stay until the time is right,” Gus told him.

“How could someone like you ever be related to me?” Kane demanded.

“We’re not as different as you might like to think son. Oh there goes the bell, never mind. I’ll see you in two days time, same time, and same place. After all I’m not going anywhere, you saw to that.” The sarcastic tone and cold eyes were tormenting Kane and he could take no more, he stood up and fled from the prison hating Gus with every fibre of his body.

Peter pulled his car up into a parking bay outside the Diner and tapped his fingers impatiently as he waited for Jack. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted Kirsty pushing her pram and with her was Angel, he watched as they had a brief chat and then separated. Kirsty headed into the Diner and Angel took the path to the beach. Peter got out of his car, hurriedly locked the door and took off down the path after Angel.

“Angel!” She turned and smiled on seeing him.

“Hey, how’s your head?” she asked, a smile on her lips.

“Not so bad you know, it took me a few coffees to get going this morning though,” Peter replied.

“Same. It’s funny I used to suffer terrible hangovers in England but this morning I recovered pretty quickly, must be the fresh air. We did sink a lot last night though.”

“Tell me about it! I enjoyed myself though, it was nice to just relax and get stuff off my chest,” Peter told her.

“Yeah it was wasn’t it?”

“So have I changed your opinion on the Police?” he teased.

“No, still don’t trust them. I’m warming towards Detectives though,” Angel told him, smiling.

“Well in that case we’ll just have to do it again sometime until I win you round,” Peter replied.

“I’d like that although it might be best if we met away from the Bay. You realise we’re the towns hottest new couple?” Angel asked.

“I had heard, Colleen I assume. Next time I’ll take you to dinner, Yabbie Creek maybe?” Peter suggested.

“Sounds good. I could do with something to occupy my nights, Alf is taking Don from me practically every night and I never see the kids,” Angel explained.

“Well if you don’t have anything better to do why don’t we do something tonight?” Peter asked, “to be honest I could really do with kicking back and relaxing and you’re the only person I can talk to,” he confided.

“Sounds like someone has things on their mind,” Angel replied.

“Just which one of us is the Detective huh? You’re right, I do. Do you mind?”

“Not at all but I wouldn’t mind getting out of the Bay, I’m just not back in the habit of small towns yet. What the problem is with a man and woman being friends I’ll never understand,” Angel mused.

“I know, everyone just jumps to conclusions but I guess I’d be the same. As long as we both know where we stand then it can’t hurt can it?” peter asked.

“No and I think we drew the boundaries pretty clearly last night, we did spend all night talking about my ex-husbands, both of them and the woman you love so I reckon it’s pretty clear that neither of us wants more than friendship. I guess no-one else gets to see that side of our friendship,” Angel remarked.

“Guess so. Listen I’ve got to go,” Peter had spotted Jack leaving the Diner out of the corner of his eye, “I’ll probably be on call so won’t be able to drink so shall I pick you up? Say 8.00 at yours?” Peter suggested.

“Sure, you reckon you’ll find it?”

“I’m sure I will, if not I’ll phone you, have a good day,” he said.

“And you too Detective,” Angel replied. She watched as he sprinted in the direction of his car and then turned and continued her walk down the beach.

If Sutty had have realised that Peter was a Detective as he raced past him he would probably have shot off in the opposite direction but was it was he didn’t know who he was and was far too distracted in his own troubles to notice anyway. In his pocket he felt his phone vibrate again and the caller ID was withheld which meant that it was no doubt Gus ringing from the prison so Sutty ignored the call for about the fiftieth time in the past twenty four hours. He was in turmoil over what to do. He had no idea if Kane Philips had visited Gus or not and quite frankly he didn’t care. His mother had been quickly dispatched on a holiday of a lifetime to New Zealand to see her sister so Sutty was as convinced as he could be that she was out of harms way and now he wanted out. Since he had seen her at the Philips house he felt like his whole world had turned over. She was a face from his past, the face, the only girl he had ever loved, the only one who had broke his heart and seeing her again…The old feelings had come rushing back, that was if they had ever gone in the first place. He had been watching her for the past twenty-four hours, he knew she lived with her friend, Leah the girl from the Diner. He knew she worked at the hospital so apparently she had got her dream of following her father into medicine and he was as sure as he could be that she was single. Following her was not enough though, he wanted more than that. He wanted to know why she had moved here, he wanted to know if she still spoke to her father but more than anything he wanted to know if she still loved him, if she had forgiven him for what he had done. He was longing to talk to her, to touch her but he didn’t dare. History hung between them and so too did the present. If he stood any chance of getting back in her life he had to first be free of Gus Philips and that meant contacting Jesse McGregor. He returned his mind to the thought that had been occupying him whenever he managed to remove his thoughts from Rachel, the thought of how on earth he was to contact Jesse without Gus knowing and only one option seemed available to him. Jesse had talked so much about his daughter, Sutty knew her name was Rachel, strange co-incidence that the most important person in both their lives shared the same name. He knew she was being bought up by a couple who used to live in Summer Bay, the man was a disabled ex-cop and Sutty was convinced his name was Joel but the surname kept alluding him and without a surname there was no way of impersonating him. He was sure it began with N or maybe M and it was short, Math, Mash, Nath, different alternatives raced round in his head but nothing jumped out and he didn’t dare risk getting it wrong. There was only one thing to do and that was to ask. He knew Rachel was in the Diner because he had followed her there so that meant the Surf Club was his best option, he couldn’t risk Rachel seeing him, not yet anyway. Quickening his pace he entered the Surf Club and approached the guy behind the counter.

“Can I help you?”

“Yeah I’m looking up an old friend of mine, a guy I used to know who lives round here or at least he used to. Joel, his wife’s Natalie, you don’t know where I can find him do you?” Sutty asked.

“Joel, you’ll mean Joel Nash, flamin Nora he moved away yonks ago, Queensland I think.”

“Oh right, it was always a long shot. Thanks very much Mr…?”

“Stewart, Alf Stewart.”

“Right, thanks Mr Stewart.” Information to hand Sutty left the Surf Club. Joel Nash, he had been so close, never mind he knew the name now. His hand shook as he took himself to a quiet corner outside the Surf Club and dialled the direct line to the Prison.

“Hello my name’s Joel Nash I’m guardian to the daughter of a prisoner of yours Jesse McGregor. There’s been an accident, would I be able to speak to Mr McGregor please?”

“Nash you say? Can you hold the line I’ll just see if it’ll be possible,” came back the reply.

“Yes I’ll hold, I’d really like to impart this news in person,” Sutty said and then he crossed his fingers and held his breath. This had to work. It just had to, otherwise he was in deep, deep trouble, more so than he was already. Sutty released his breath as he heard his caller pick up the phone at the other end.

“Well its in Peter’s hands now so we’ll just have to see how he gets on. I’m on eggshells wondering how Kane’s getting on in Prison though,” Kirsty confided to Rachel.

“I’ll bet. He’ll be okay though. This beach idea of yours sounds a good one this afternoon, give us both a chance to chill out,” Rachel told her.

“Yeah it will, you’ll like Angel and Selina they’re lovely,” Kirsty replied.

“I’m dying to meet them,” Rachel replied. It was the truth, she was dying to meet this Angel and subtly get information for Leah.

“So how did you go at the hospital?” Kirsty asked.

“I don’t know, they said they’ll investigate Doctor Helpman but I don’t hold out much hope. They seemed more interested in Kim and me even though I explained that nothing happened and that I put a stop to it and changed his counsellor. I’ve been suspended,” she admitted.

“What? You haven’t? That’s so out of order!” Kirsty protested, “you haven’t done everything wrong.”

“I have though, I broke one of the first rules of medical ethics, you don’t get involved with your patient. It might be over now but it still happened and in the eyes of the hospital board that makes me guilty. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see,” Rachel explained.

“It’ll be okay,” Kirsty soothed.

“I really hope you’re right. Come on shall we get on this beach then, I’m dying for some sun,” Rachel suggested.

“Suits me,” Kirsty replied. Together they manoeuvred Matthew’s pram out of the Diner and onto the beach. The beach was busy but not too busy to spot Angel, she was sat back on her knees watching the ocean, her long blonde hair and the fabric of her loose white dress were moving in time with the wind, and her eyes were closed.

“Hey,” Kirsty greeted her as she manipulated the pram across the sand.

“Hi.” Angel was on her feet helping Kirsty, “glad you could come, Sel’s not here yet.”

“It’s okay, I almost didn’t want to disturb you, you looked so peaceful,” Kirsty admitted.

“I was a long way away, remembering. It’s so beautiful here, I’d forgotten just how special this beach was,” Angel replied.

“Yeah its pretty awesome,” Kirsty agreed, “this is Rachel Armstrong, Rachel this is Angel Parrish.”

“Hi nice to meet you.” The women smiled at each other and Rachel joined Angel in the sand.

“So you’re from England then? What’s it like there? I’ve always wanted to go,” Rachel told her.

“England’s nice, there’s lots of fields and open space and rolling hills or at least there was where I lived. It’s very beautiful but not like this, for a start it’s cold, England’s very green whereas Australia’s more gold, does that make sense?”

“Yeah I guess it does,” Rachel replied.

“How come you moved back here then?

“I got divorced is the simple answer, there was nothing for me to stay in England for and anyway I missed it here. I met Selina and Stephen by chance and they said they were moving back so I decided on the spur of the moment to come back with them,” Angel explained.

“And do you regret it?” Rachel asked.

“Not one bit.” Angel smiled.

“The Bay is lovely, I’ve not long moved here myself and everyone’s real friendly, I hear you’ve been getting close to Peter Baker or are you sick of talking about it?” Rachel asked.

“Sick of talking about it, we’re just friends. I’m not long divorced, the last thing I need is a new relationship. I threw coffee on him and bought him a drink to apologise there’s nothing more to it than that unless you listen to Colleen,” Angel replied.

“I won’t ask then,” Rachel told her, wondering what Leah would make of that news.

“Now here’s a trio of beautiful women,” a familiar voice said, Rachel’s head snapped round, she felt instantly on edge.

“I’m sorry who are you?” Kirsty demanded.

“My name is Doctor Helpman I work with Doctor Armstrong here, perhaps you would be so kind as to introduce me to your friends?” he asked. Rachel pasted on the false smile she always wore around him and shot a warning glance at Kirsty who looked ready to fly at him.

“This is Angel and Kirsty,” Rachel obliged.

“Well it’s nice to meet you both,” Doctor Helpman said, he leant down close to Rachel and whispered quietly in her ear, “you’ll regret the day you crossed me.” Standing up again he held out the shell clasped in his hand, “this is pretty I think I’ll take it as a present for my son. Nice to meet you ladies, Doctor Armstrong.” With that he walked away leaving Rachel shaken and white-faced.

“Was it just me or was he really sleazy?” Angel asked.

“No it’s not just you. What did he say to you Rach?” Kirsty asked.

“That I’ll regret crossing him. What the hell have I got myself into?” And to Kirsty and Angel’s horror Rachel broke down in tears.

Hey this fanfic is great as I wish H&A could have more reunion episodes (especially for some of the current storylines).

Will you be adding any other old characters e.g. Sophie, Blake, Sam, Roo

Thanks,

Jarad

Just a short chapter but hopefully there'll be more soon. I am intending to introduce more old characters, not sure about the ones you suggested, never say never though. I also plan to get rid of some current characters to make way for returnees so there's a spoiler for you! Hope people aren't getting bored of this, I have plenty more material in mind to keep this going for awhile if people still want to read and I'm going to try and update more regulary from now on. Please keep reviewing though, it's really appreciated.

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

“Okay Mr Nash we have Mr McGregor for you but you need to keep it short, ten minutes max,” the Prison Officer’s voice announced down the telephone and Sutty almost punched himself with delight but there was still more work to do.

“Joel, what is it? Is Rach okay?” Jesse’ frantic voice came over the phone.

“Jesse it’s Sutty you’ve gotto keep this conversation one sided do you understand? Please play along, it’s important,” Sutty begged.

“Okay I get it but you better have an explanation,” Jesse snapped, anger still evident in his voice.

“I’m sorry I worried you by pretending to be Joel but it was the only way I could think of to get to speak to you with Gus realising,” Sutty explained.

“I understand so tell me what’s going on?” Jesse asked.

“I delivered Gus’s warning but now he wants me to kidnap Kirsty Philips, you were right I want out and I need your help,” Sutty replied.

“What made you change your mind about contacting me?” Jesse demanded.

“I just realised you were right but now I don’t know what to do. My Mum’s out of the country but I don't know what I do now,” Sutty admitted.

“So is she going to be alright?” Jesse asked.

“Was that for my benefit or those listening? Look don’t answer, hopefully my Mum’ll be okay but what do I do about Gus?” Sutty demanded.

“I’m not sure but I’ll think of something. Can you phone me again tomorrow and let me know how Rach is doing? I might have a suggestion for you by then,” Jesse replied.

“Sure I will do, Jesse I don’t want you putting yourself in danger, think of Rachel,” Sutty urged, suddenly worried by what his friend would do.

“All I ever do is think of Rachel,” Jesse snapped furiously.

“Okay, okay alright, I’m just worried about you,” Sutty protested.

“Yeah well you caused this situation, you should have listened to me months ago,” Jesse fumed.

“I know, I’m sorry,” Sutty replied.

“Look I’ve gotta go, leave it with me and phone again tomorrow,” Jesse urged.

“Okay will do.”

“Tell Rachel I love her,” he added for the benefit of the Prison Officers listening in.

“Bye Jesse.”

“Bye.” Jesse hung up the phone and turned to the listening Prison Officers to spin them a lie while Sutty, leaning back against the Surf Club wall, breathed a sigh of relief and moved quickly out of sight.

“What do you mean they’re not there?” Sergeant Bellmore was fuming. Jack and Peter had managed to get from the hospital worker that he had switched the test results for Martha Mackenzie on the request of Josh West and a team of Officers had searched the Believers camp.

“Exactly that Sir, they’re not there. There’s no signs of a sudden flee so it’s unlikely they realised we were on to them. The rest of the camp was there; it’s just the inner circle who are missing, the so called Mamma Rose, her son Jonah, Tasha Andrews and a number of others from the inner circle of the Believers. It seems to have always been the plan for these to go, the others at the camp would give very little away except that they had gone away and wouldn’t be back for a while,” Jack explained.

“And what do you think Detective?” Sergeant Bellmore asked of Peter.

“I agree with PC Holden, they were always intending to leave, as he said there is no signs of a sudden flee and certainly if they had realised that we were onto them they would not have left this Rebecca behind,” Peter told him.

“And where did you find her again?”

“In an underground hatch. It appears she has been drugged and held against her will for many weeks and she’s groggy and disorientated and unlikely to be able to talk to us for some time,” Jack explained.

“So she’s of no use to us then?”

“No Sir not at the moment,” Jack replied.

“And this Tasha, what is your opinion on her?” Sergeant Bellmore demanded of Peter.

“Well we know these people pick a favourite girl, a so-called chosen one and Rebecca has said previously that their intention is to drug and impregnate the chosen girl. We have evidence that they are prepared to use drugs to considerable effect, it’s my belief Sir that Tasha Andrews is in grave danger and it’s of paramount importance that we find her soon,” Peter explained. “It’s also worth knowing that Tasha is the daughter of Ian Osbourne, a man with considerable influence as you know,” Peter added.

“Damn that’s the last thing we need. Osbourne is well in with the Chief of Police, if we don’t find this girl safe and well and soon I have no doubt that it’ll be all our jobs on the line. Take as many bodies as you need Detective Baker, I want this case to be our priority,” Sergeant Bellmore instructed.

“Done,” Peter agreed, he and Jack left the office and Peter called everybody together. “Right we’ve been given the green light to prioritise this. Tasha Andrews appears to be in serious danger so we need to move quickly. You two I want you to go back down the farm and question them again and again and again until you get any sense out of them, you two I want you at the hospital finding out when we can question Rebecca and you three I want to know everything we’ve ever had on the Believers. If they’ve so much as nicked penny sweets from a shop I want to know about it. Holden you and I will need to inform the close friends and family of Tasha about the new revelations and we’ll need to question your girlfriend again. Do you want to speak to her and also go see Robbie Hunter, find out if he knows anymore and I’ll go to Irene Roberts,” Peter instructed.

“Yes Sir,” Jack replied and the two left the station.

Peter knocked on the door of the Beach house and a very harassed looking Irene opened it.

“Peter? What are you doing here, have you heard something?” Irene demanded.

“Heard something? How do you mean?” Peter demanded.

“Oh it’s probably nothing its just Selina’s been missing all day and her phone is just ringing out but she doesn’t know anyone in the Bay hardly so we’re a bit worried. Come in by the way,” Irene offered. Peter stepped into the house to be greeted by a numerous array of people. Kane and Barry were seated at the table, Stephen was pacing anxiously by the phone and Kirsty was in the kitchen with Angel, seemingly making cups of tea. Peter did not know why he was surprised to see her there but he managed the briefest of smiles.

“So that’s not why you’re here then?” Irene demanded.

“No but I almost wish it was. Irene I’ve got some bad news for you about Tasha, it appears she might be in serious danger,” Peter explained.

“What?” Irene demanded.

“We have uncovered evidence that Martha Mackenzie’s test results were altered a few weeks ago which means she was drugged just like she said and we’ve uncovered the missing girl Rebecca at the Believer’s farm, she had been heavily drugged,” Peter explained.

“So where’s Tash then?” Irene demanded.

“We don’t know Irene she wasn’t at the farm, I take it she hasn’t been here then?”

“Gawd I’ve not seen her in a week or so,” Irene told him.

“Well if Robbie hasn’t see her either we can assume she’s missing,” Peter replied.

“What do you mean missing? Where the hell is she?” Irene cried.

“We don’t know Irene but we have several teams working on it,” Peter explained.

“I’ll kill em! I’ll swing for the blooming lot of them if anything’s happened to that girlie!” Irene announced, her fury evident.

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible Irene, they’re missing too. Mamma Rose, Jonah Mitchell, the whole inner circle have disappeared along with Tasha, like I say we have teams trying to locate them,” Peter explained.

“Gawd save us!” Irene sank to the couch and Barry put a reassuring arm on her shoulder.

“They’ll find her Irene.” Angel soothed, handing Irene a cup of tea, “would you like one Peter?” she asked.

“Yes if one’s going, I’ll have to take a full statement from Irene about when she last saw Tasha and so on, if that’s okay Irene?” he asked, Irene nodded, dumb-struck.

“I can’t believe Selina and Tasha are both missing,” Kirsty spoke up.

“It does seem to be a co-incidence, you don’t think…?” Stephen was unable to put into words what he had been planning to say.

“What?” Peter asked.

“It’s just that Selina used to be involved in a cult several years ago, they nearly killed her and when she realised that Tasha was part of one she was talking about getting her out of there. You don’t think she’s have really gone though do you?” Stephen finished.

“She promised she wouldn’t,” Irene spoke up

“It’s certainly worth looking into. Who was the last person to see Selina?” Peter asked.

“That would be me, I saw her this morning,” Angel spoke up.

“Then I’ll need to interview you too. Right Irene I’ll start with you please,” Peter said and mutely Irene nodded as Peter sat down beside her and took out his notepad.

Having taken statements from Irene Barry and Stephen, Peter stepped into the kitchen to speak to Angel.

“I’m sorry I was going to phone you, I won’t be able to make dinner tonight, I have to keep going on this,” Peter explained quietly.

“It’s no problem, I’m probably going to stay here anyway until Sel’s found safe and well,” Angel replied.

“We’ll reschedule then,” Peter told her.

“Sure,” Angel replied.

“Well I’ll probably be in and out of here all night anyway with updates so I’ll still see you, not quite the same though,” he told her.

“Well I’ll do you some dinner when I make everyone else’s that way at least you’ll have eaten,” Angel whispered.

“Sounds good thanks. So can you tell me when you last saw Selina?” Peter asked and Angel told him all she knew. “Right the more I hear about this the more I’m convinced these two cases are connected. I just need a quick word with Kirsty and Kane then I’ll be off to report these new findings,” Peter told Angel who nodded. She left the kitchen as Peter spoke to Kirsty and Kane about Gus but neither had anything to report except that Peter told them he had posted a private detective to watch the beach house. They were interrupted by Peter’s phone ringing. “Excuse me,” he told Kirsty and Kane, “Hello Detective Baker.”

“Peter it’s Jack I’ve spoken to Martha she has nothing new to add but Robbie had something interesting, he said he met someone called Selina Matheson leaving the Believers camp yesterday morning and she was planning to return there this morning. She wanted to talk Tasha into leaving them, apparently she had experience with cults before and thought she could get through to Tasha. I’m not sure who she is but Robbie seems to think she’s living with Irene so perhaps you can speak to her,” Jack suggested.

“Damn it!” Peter exclaimed.

"What is it?" Jack asked, concerned.

“Selina Matheson has been missing since this morning, nobody has seen or heard from her. I was just considering the possibility that the two were related but hoped it was a co-incidence,” Peter explained.

“You’re kidding! What would the Believers want with this Selina?” Jack demanded.

“I don’t know, that’s what we need to find out. Will you go back the station and start looking at possible connections?” Peter asked.

“Sure. See you later.” Jack hung up.

“What is it?” Irene demanded.

“That was PC Holden, apparently Robbie Hunter saw Selina yesterday leaving the Believers camp, she’d been to see Tasha and she planned to return there for lunch today. It seems we were right, the two are connected, the question is why? I’m heading back to the station but if you see or hear anything let me know and try not to worry, we’ve got enough people working on this, we’ll find them,” Peter told them and as he left the house it was to a stunned and worried silence broken only by Irene’s muffled sobs.

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

“You’re kidding! Is she going to be okay?” Dylan was sat in the Diner on the phone to his mother. Next to him Matilda was listening in to his half of the conversation while Cassie ordered drinks for the three at the counter. “No don’t do me tea I’ll have something here, do you want me to stay out? Okay alright, I’ll see you tomorrow then, bye.” Dylan hung up the phone and turned horror-struck to Matilda.

“What is it?” she asked.

“My Auntie Selina’s gone missing, the police seem to think she’s been kidnapped by some cult called the Believers,” he told her.

“Oh God that’s awful! The Believers are that group that my brother’s girlfriend Tasha is a part of,” Matilda replied.

“I know, Tasha’s missing too,” Dylan told her.

“Oh my god! How long have they been gone for? Is she going to be okay? Poor Tasha, poor Robbie, he must be going out of his head with worry!”

“We don’t know much yet except that they’ve been gone since lunch-time. Mum says Peter has every police officer in Summer Bay looking for them though so he’ll find them, he’s a good cop is Peter,” Dylan told her.

“I know but what if he doesn’t? Poor Robbie, he must be so upset, I should probably go home.” Matilda looked so upset that Dylan put an arm round her shoulders but he was still surprised when she pulled him into a deep hug, breathing heavily on his shoulder in an attempt to control the tears that were threatening.

“It’s probably best not to go home, Mum wants me to stay out tonight, apparently Pippa’s said I can stay at theirs. Think you’re best staying out for a bit too, give them some space,” Dylan told her, stroking her hair. Matilda pulled away and gave Dylan a weak smile, something passed between them for a second and Dylan felt himself dying to kiss her, he stroked her face gently. Drinks were slammed onto the table and Dylan and Matilda looked up guiltily to see a very angry looking Cassie stood over them and behind her Lucas was watching them arms folded.

“Hey.” Matilda pushed past Dylan to go to Lucas and fell into his arms, Dylan could tell she was telling him all about Tasha and he watched as Lucas’s angry stance relaxed as he took her in his arms.

“So what’s going on with you two then and don’t say nothing because I’m not blind,” Cassie snapped.

“Nothing is going on Cassie, she was upset that’s all I was just comforting her. We’ve just found out that my Auntie Selina and her brother’s girlfriend Tasha are both missing, believed kidnapped by this Believers cult thing and we were both upset so I gave her a hug, it was completely innocent,” Dylan explained. Cassie looked unconvinced but Matilda was pulling Lucas towards their booth and there was no time to say more.

“What else did your mum say?” Matilda asked.

“Not much just that they think Selina was trying to talk Tasha into leaving the Believers and for some reason they’ve taken them both. All they know is that they’re both missing from the Believers camp along with the mad woman who runs it and those closest to her,” Dylan explained.

“It’s pretty awful,” Lucas remarked, eyeing Dylan with open hostility.

“I know, Selina’s pregnant as well, I really hope nothing happens to her or her baby. It’s not long since they lost their son Tommy and Selina lost a baby years ago so if anything happens to this one…” Dylan took a long deep breath and clenched his hand into a fist. Across the table Matilda put her hand on his reassuringly but pulled it away instantly because of the glare she received from Cassie.

“What’s he like her husband this Mr Matheson? Apparently he’s going to be our Science teacher next year,” Matilda asked, trying to break the tension.

“He’s great. He used to teach me in England and he’s a quality teacher, a really good guy,” Dylan enthused.

“You must be pretty used to teachers considering you’re so close to Mr Matheson and you live with Don Fisher, he was the principal at Summer Bay before Mr Hyde,” Lucas said.

“I know but Don’s not like a headmaster at home, he’s more like our Granddad, mum used to live with him when she was at school and they never really got on at first but they do now,” Dylan explained.

“I guess we live with Sally and she’s the deputy head,” Cassie announced, feeling left out of the conversation.

“And Lucas’s Dad Tony is the PE teacher and he lives with my Mum and me so I guess we all have a teacher who’s close to us,” Matilda remarked.

“You two live together?” Dylan asked, incredulously.

“Yeah my Mum goes out with his Dad but it’s not like we’re married or anything, we have separate rooms,” Matilda replied, wondering why she felt the need to justify herself.

“Oh right.” Dylan looked increasingly uncomfortable, he turned to Cassie, “it appears I’m staying at yours tonight because Mum’s at Irene’s,” he explained.

“Oh great we can sit up all night watching movies, it’ll be cool as long as Ric doesn’t show up, he keeps coming round to grovel to Sally,” Cassie replied.

“Don’t be so nasty about him, he’s having a rough time recently,” Matilda defended but received an angry glare from Cassie and wondered why she had opened her mouth.

“He finished with me remember, he deserves everything he gets!” Cassie announced, pushing Matilda out of the Booth and standing up, “are you coming Dylan?”

“Not everything revolves around you, you know Cassie,” Matilda told her.

“Why do we have to leave?” Dylan asked.

“Fine then but if you don’t come now you’re not staying at ours,” Cassie announced.

“That’s not your decision to make Cassie,” Matilda told her.

“Of course you would defend your new boyfriend, the amount of time you spend all over him, I’ve seen the pair of you together. I’d be worried if I was you Lucas, first she’s playing about with Ric and now Dylan, I feel sorry for you,” Cassie snapped before fleeing from the Diner.

“Sorry,” Dylan mouthed to Matilda and ran out of the Diner after Cassie. Matilda watched him go and then turned to Lucas, horrified.

“I don’t know who Cassie thinks she is, she…Lucas what’s wrong?” Matilda asked, noting the expression on his face.

“Playing around huh?” Lucas demanded his expression a mixture of hurt.

“You don’t honestly believe that do you, it’s just Cassie lashing out!” Matilda explained.

“Well you looked pretty cosy when I walked in tonight and why would Cassie say it if it wasn’t true?” Lucas demanded.

“Because she’s still smarting over Ric, I don’t know! Honestly Lucas you can’t believe this!” Matilda protested.

“Do you know what Maddie I don’t know what to believe, I need some space yeah?” He stood up and fled from the diner.

“Lucas!” Matilda called after him, “Lucas!” she was aware that all eyes were on her so she sank back into her booth. In the past hour she had found out Tasha was missing, she had fallen out with her best friend and lost her boyfriend and she hadn’t done anything wrong! Feeling tears looming in the corners of her eyes, she knew she had to get out of there so she too left the Diner and raced off down the beach, tormented by her own thoughts.

“Cassie was there any need to say all those things? Matilda’s your best friend and you’ve just behaved like a completely spoiled cow, I can’t believe you’d be so nasty!” Dylan told her, pulling her arm round.

“Yeah well you would defend her, you’re all over her all the time aren’t you? It’s blatantly obvious you fancy her,” Cassie snapped back.

“Even if I did she has a boyfriend Cassie and I’m not like that unlike you who seems to get off on causing trouble,” Dylan told her.

“Fine sleep on the beach then, see if I care!” Cassie took off at a run leaving Dylan bewildered as to just what had happened to turn a normal afternoon into a war zone. Obviously Cassie was jealous but Dylan was seeing a completely different side to her, one he really didn’t like.

“What was that all about?” a voice behind him asked.

“I honestly have no idea!” Dylan replied, turning to face the guy behind him.

“I’m Ric,” the guy said, holding out his hand.

“You’re Cassie’s ex,” Dylan replied.

“Yep and you’re her current?” Ric asked.

“No and after that display definitely never. She seemed like a really cool chick but the side of her I’ve just seen was downright nasty,” Dylan told him.

“She’s not that bad, Cassie’s pretty vulnerable and when she’s hurting she tends to lash out, she doesn’t mean to upset anyone,” Ric defended.

“Sounds like someone has a soft spot for her still,” Dylan replied.

“No way, I’ll always care for her but me and Cassie are long over. What had she done this time?” Ric asked.

“She basically accused Matilda of being with you and me behind Lucas’s back because Matilda had the nerve to defend us both to Cassie,” Dylan explained.

“The girl has serious self-destruct problems. Poor Maddie and Luc,” Ric said.

“Yeah Maddie’s lovely, I don’t really know Luc but he seems okay, he probably hates me though,” Dylan replied.

“Nah Lucas is cool, he doesn't know how to hate,” Ric confirmed.

“Hey you!” somebody threw themselves at Ric’s back and both boys turned.

“Hey what are you doing here?” Ric demanded.

“I had to get out of Irene’s place, it’s like a madhouse,” she replied.

“You’ve been at Irene’s place? Is there any news? How’s my mother?” Dylan demanded.

“You must be Angel’s son, Irene told me he was my age, Dylan isn’t it? I’m Belle and as far as I know there’s no news,” she replied.

“Damn, nice to meet you by the way,” Dylan told her.

“And you.” Belle gave him her best sultry look then turned to Ric, “so can I hang with you for a bit then?”

“I guess but no tricks okay? Do you want to join us Dylan?” Ric offered.

“Oh no I wouldn’t want to step on anyone’s toes,” Dylan replied.

“You wouldn’t, we’re not together,” Ric explained.

“Yet,” Belle added with a grin, Ric raised an eyebrow at her. “What shall we do then? Take a boat out?” Ric looked at her incredulously.

“I’m just recovering from my stay in hospital after the last time we did that,” he told her.

“Relax I was teasing, I was thinking about something as unstrenuous as walking up Stewart’s point past the rock pools,” Belle suggested.

“Yeah okay, you coming Dylan?”

“I have nothing better to do,” he replied.

“Come on then.” With Belle running slightly ahead the two boys followed her along the beach.

“Thanks for that, I was so hungry I could have ate a horse,” Peter told Angel after he had demolished the food she had put in front of him.

“It’s a pleasure to see food eaten,” Angel replied giving Irene and Stephen a pointed look, “you two have barely picked at your food.”

“I just don’t feel like eating, sorry Angel,” Stephen told her, heading outside to the patio area. Angel followed him.

“It’s okay you know, we’re all worried,” Angel told him.

“I know but I feel so guilty, she’s my wife, I should have known she’d go and see these people I should have stopped her,” Stephen confided.

“It’s nobody’s fault but if you want someone to blame then you need to blame me, I was last to see her, I should have guessed,” Angel told him.

“It’s not your fault Angel,” Stephen replied.

“It’s not yours either,” Angel told him.

“I know I just want her back.”

“We all do, come on Irene needs you to stay strong or she’ll go to pieces, she’s missing two of them remember,” Angel reminded him.

“Yeah I know.” Stephen squeezed Angel’s hand and the two returned inside to see Irene admitting Beth and Tony through the front door.

“We came to see if there was any news or anything we can do,” Beth offered, taking Irene into a hug.

“Thank you for coming,” Barry replied.

“Look this house is getting a bit overcrowded I think I’m going to head home and get some sleep. Will you let me know if there’s any news?” Angel asked.

“Will do, thanks for being here Angel,” Stephen kissed her cheek gently.

“Where else would I be? Bye Irene.”

“Bye darl and thanks for everything,” Irene replied.

“No worries.”

“I’ll give you a lift if you’d like Angel," Peter offered "I need to get a few hours sleep myself but I’m on call if anything comes up,” he assured Irene.

“That’d be great if you don’t mind,” Angel replied.

“Course I don’t. Come on,” Peter urged. Together they left the house and wordlessly got into the car. Peter drove to Angel’s house and pulled to a stop outside.

“Thanks for the lift. I had to leave because I was going to cry and I didn’t want to do it in there,” Angel confided, stepping out of the car, tears streaming down her face.

“Hey, come on, she’ll be okay.” Peter stepped round the car, put his arm around her and helped her into the house.

“Do you have to go? I could really use the company and nobody’s home, you can sleep in Dylan’s bed,” Angel offered.

“Go on then. You sit yourself down and I’ll bring you a cup of tea.” Peter made his way to the kitchen and returned minutes later with a cup which he put down in front of Angel and sat himself down beside her on the sofa.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” Angel told him.

“No but I’m sure she’ll turn up, I’m convinced of it,” Peter soothed, “come here.” He put his arm around Angel and she rested her head on his shoulder, crying gently onto his shirt and holding him tight.

“Thank you,” she said, pulling away ever so slightly.

“What for?”

“Everything, for being here for me when I need a friend,” she told him. Peter gently wiped the tears from her face, she was so close to him now, looking up at him with wet, tear-stained eyes, her lashes clinging together, her nose and eyes puffy but she still looked beautiful. Neither would have been able to say with hindsight who made the first move but almost as one their lips came together in a deep kiss, so intense that neither wanted to end it. Peter pulled her closer towards him, holding her tighter, kissing her harder, his frustration turning to passion as he held her. Angel found herself removing his top, her hurt making her vulnerable, she needed him, no hell she wanted him. How it happened neither could say but neither wanted it to stop and so it continued.

The sun streamed in brightly through the windows casting light on Angel’s face and waking her up. She yawned and stretched and suddenly became aware that she was not alone. Quickly she reached for her underwear pulling it on under her crumpled skirt and buttoning up her top. Her movements woke Peter who yawned and looked up at her.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey yourself,” she replied, fastening the last button.

“Guess we got a bit carried away huh?” Peter asked, hurriedly zipping his pants up and reaching for his shirt.

“Guess so. It was a difficult time, we both needed comfort, no harms done,” Angel replied.

“No, we’re okay aren’t we?” Peter asked.

“Course we are, we’re just good friends who needed a bit more it doesn’t have to change anything,” Angel told him.

“I’m glad, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I didn’t have you to talk to,” Peter told her.

“Same goes. Shall we just forget this ever happened and carry on as before?” Angel asked.

“Good idea,” Peter replied.

“Coffee? I take it there was no news, we’ve not had any calls,” she told him.

“Guess not, I’ll phone into the Station though anyway, coffee would be great. Do you mind if I have a quick wash before I go into work?” Peter asked.

“No not at all. Why don’t you borrow a shirt from Don’s wardrobe? His room is at the top of the stairs on the left. If you take a dark one he’ll never miss it and at least then you can try and convince people you went home. There’s spare toothbrushes in the wash cabinet too,” Angel suggested.

“Thanks I might do that.” Peter headed upstairs as Angel went into the kitchen to brew the coffee. A few minutes later Peter headed back downstairs and met Angel in the kitchen. “I’ll have to skip the coffee, they’re just heading back to the farm to conduct another search so I want to get in on it. I’ll probably see you later at Irene’s yeah?” he asked almost nervously.

“Sure you will,” Angel replied.

“Great. I’ll see you later then,” he said, heading towards the door, he paused for a second and looked at her as if to say something but then he changed his mind and opened the door.

“See you later,” she said. The door slammed and Angel was left alone wondering how the hell it had happened. One minute they had been talking, then kissing and then… It had been such a long time since she had been with any man, nobody since Simon and she supposed she had just needed the comfort. They were both still okay with each other, their friendship was intact so at least no harm had been done but that didn’t explain why she had felt such an urge to kiss him goodbye as he had left the house just then. Shaking herself Angel took a sip of her coffee; a shower, that was what she needed so quickly she headed upstairs.

Had she but known it Peter was in his car, driving along thinking exactly along the same lines. Angel was the first person he had kissed since his stolen kiss with Leah and she was the first person he had been with since Claire. Last night, it had been great but they had obviously just got caught up in the moment. They had become close recently so it was only understandable that they would go to each other for comfort and that was all it had been. As long as they were still friends that was all that counted, he couldn’t bear to lose her friendship, she knew too much about him, she understood him, he needed her. It had been awkward this morning but he was convinced they could get past it and stay friends, one thing was certain though was that he should never let it happen again, no matter how much he might want to. Pulling up his car at the station Peter got out and headed inside.

“Right Detective Baker’s finally here so get moving,” Sergeant Bellmore commanded and Peter found himself heading outside again.

“Jack you come with me, you can fill me in on the way,” Peter told him.

“Yes Sir.” Jack got into Peter’s car and Peter started the engine.

“So what’s new?”

“Not much Sir. We can’t find anything at all linking Selina with the Believers except the fact that she seems to have disappeared with them and we’ve managed to get hold of lots of information about them, complaints and problems with them but nothing has ever stuck. There’s been several allegations of drugging and drug induced rape but nothing ever stuck, either the complainant mysteriously disappeared or they withdrew the allegations,” Jack explained.

“So basically the Believers got to them?” Peter asked.

“It appears that way,” Jack replied.

“And has anyone talked?”

“No they either seem too scared or not with it,” Jack explained.

“The more I hear about these people the more dangerous they sound to me. We have got to find these girls and quickly,” Peter told him, pulling the car up outside the camp.

“I know,” Jack replied, getting out of the vehicle.

“Right you lot you’ve had your orders from Sergeant Bellmore and now you’re getting them from me, you leave no stone unturned in this search. I want you to bring in anything that can be classed as suspicious, anything at all, we have to find these girls,” Peter instructed and the teams spread out to conduct the search. They had been going for about ten minutes when an officer called Peter over.

“Sir I found this.” Using tongs she handed him a mobile phone, Peter pulled on his gloves and took it from her. He flipped it open and accessed the phonebook, his heart sunk as the first name in the phonebook jumped out at him: ‘Angel’. Pressing the green call button he listened for two rings before the phone was answered.

“Selina!?” Angel’s frantic voice came on the other end of the phone.

“No Angel it’s Peter. This is Selina’s phone then?” he asked.

“Yes it is, where did you find it?” Angel asked, her voice shaky.

“At the Believers farm, I’m sorry but this is pretty conclusive proof that they have her,” Peter informed her.

“Oh God, I was hoping it wouldn’t be true, this feels like a nightmare. I’m at Irene’s by the way,” she told him.

“You’d best let them know there then, reassure them that we’re not giving up, we’ll find her Angel,” Peter told her.

“I really hope so.” Angel hung up the phone and Peter put it into the plastic bag that Lara was holding out.

“I can confirm that that was Selina Matheson’s phone so we are definitely looking for these two girls together, damn it,” Peter explained. He took a deep breath and then continued on with the search.

Stephen had stormed out of the Beach House after Angel had delivered Peter’s news, he had no idea where he was going except that he needed to get away. He needed to think, he felt so helpless. How could this be happening? They had moved to Summer Bay to make a fresh start, to get away from the bad times and three days into their new life Selina was missing, believed kidnapped by a bunch of madmen. Stephen’s thoughts strayed back to the last time she had been taken, their wedding day, he had thought he was being stood up and then the truth had been revealed. They had found Selina after that but she had been changed, she hadn’t wanted to marry him. It had taken their chance meeting in England and the prodding from Irene, and Selina’s illness before they had finally got together. He had nearly lost her so many times for so many different reasons but it never got easier, the thought of losing her still broke him in two. He looked up and was not completely surprised to see that he had walked to the Caravan Park. This house had so many happy memories, it was so enduring, so special. It had been hard at first, losing his parents and moving in with Tom and Pippa but he had loved them and he had really felt like a family when they had moved to the Bay. He could recall the first time Frank had called him by his real name, that was when he had finally felt like he belonged, that he was a Fletcher and a Fletcher was what he needed now, he needed Pippa. Pushing open the door to the Caravan Park house Stephen called Pippa’s name, he searched the house but found nobody. He was about to leave the house again when she spotted Sally, sat on the sofa watching and re-watching a video that looked suspiciously like her and Flynn’s wedding video. Quietly he sat down beside her.

“Hi Sal.” Still she said nothing, just stared blankly at the screen, “I guess you’ll have heard that Selina’s missing, they’ve confirmed now that she’s with those Believers. They found her phone at the camp.” Stephen’s voice was shaking with emotion but Sally didn’t move so he kept speaking. In some ways it was easy to tell Sally everything, to pour his heart out, knowing she wasn’t going to interrupt. He didn’t even know if she was listening though or if she even cared; he longed for a signal that she understood but there was nothing, just blankness. “I’m so scared Sal, moving back here was meant to be our fresh start but here we are with the same problems we had when we first lived here, Selina’s been kidnapped by a cult, feels like déjà vu. I’m so scared, what if something’s happened to her? How will I cope without her and our baby, it was hard enough losing Tommy but I don’t know if I could bear to lose another child. There’s no pain like losing someone you love but then you know that better than anyone, we both do. Do you remember when Tom died? We were devastated, we never thought we’d get over it but we did and we all loved Michael but then losing him as well. It was so hard but we pulled through it, do you remember Sal? Do you remember how we pulled together to help Pippa? Do you remember telling her that it was okay to cry? Well it is okay. You need to cry Sal and so do I.” The tears were flowing down Stephen’s face now but Sally did not repond. “Look I’m going to go, you’re obviously not listening to a word I’m saying.” Stephen went to stand up but Sally’s hand took his and squeezed it hard. “You are listening!” he exclaimed, tears were falling down Sally’s cheeks now and Stephen pulled her into a hug. Finally as if a dam had just broke Sally began to sob, huge, stomach wrenching, deep sobs as if her heart was breaking and Stephen sobbed with her, brother and sister united in their pain. Half an hour later Pippa returned to find Stephen and Sally side by side on the couch watching old tapes and cuddled up with each other, reminiscing and laughing. On seeing them together it was Pippa’s turn to cry.

Archived