Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

“How many times do I have to tell you, I didn’t know what I was getting into!” Robbie was growing increasingly frustrated at the questions that had been thrown his way during the course of this now three hour long interview.

“You can say it as many times as you like Mr Hunter but it doesn’t mean we’ll believe you. Now lets just say that this little story about you agreeing to do odd jobs for Mr West in order to get the Believers farm closed down is true…”

“It is!” Robbie protested.

“Say it is, you must have known what sort of messages you were carrying for Mr West?”

“I didn’t, not at first,” Robbie argued.

“Not at first? Now there’s a turn up for the books, earlier on you said you didn’t have any idea at all what the messages were. Are you admitting you lied Mr Hunter?”

“No I didn’t lie I just…”

“Amended the truth. So you didn’t know at first but you came to realise that what you were doing wasn’t right, how did this sudden realisation come about?” Robbie sighed, it was time to come clean.

“I went to drop off a message for him and the guys I was dropping it to didn’t seem like the sort of guys you’d expect Josh to be involved with,” he told them.

“How do you mean?”

“Well they were rough, I was scared of them, they seemed dangerous,” Robbie tried to explain.

“And that was sufficient to make you believe Mr West was involved in underhand dealings, seems a bit vague to me, what are you not telling us Mr Hunter?”

“That wasn’t all, you didn’t let me finish!” Robbie protested.

“By all means finish now.” The tone was sarcastic and Robbie had a feeling that whatever he said would not go down well so it was best just to tell the truth.

“I dropped the package that I was meant to give to Josh and money came out, lots of it, all fifties. I thought it was strange that Josh would be receiving that sort of money from those types of people,” Robbie explained.

“So what did you do?”

“Nothing, I delivered the package to Josh but he noticed it was open, he asked me if I’d looked inside I told him I’d dropped the package but I didn’t know what was inside, I think he believed me,” Robbie explained.

“So suspecting what you did you continued to deliver these messages?”

“I had to, for Tasha, that place is evil,” Robbie explained.

“So you didn’t even think to confront Mr West as to what he was up to?”

“Not at first but eventually I did,” Robbie admitted.

“And what happened then?”

“He threatened me, he told me if I did anything about it not only would Tasha stay with the Believers but that I’d go down as an accessory and he was right wasn’t he?” Robbie demanded, his questionor didn’t reply but the look on his face told Robbie that that was exactly what was going to happen.

Slowly and silently Sutty approached the Philips house. He was careful to avoid the lampposts and stay back from the roads, the last thing he wanted was some nosy neighbour calling the police on him. He had the plan figured out in his head. He knew the back door was locked but it was a simple lock, the sort he had been able to pick while he was still at school and he knew she was upstairs putting her baby to bed because he could hear her badly out of tune singing through the open upstairs window. All he had to do was get in the house while she was upstairs and wait until she came down. Then he would grab her from behind, gag her instantly, then tie her up and put her in the black van he had hired which was currently parked in the narrow alley behind the house. Easy, he had done much worse in his time but that did not make him feel any better about what he was about to do. He flattened himself against the back wall and edged closer to the house. He could touch the door now, his hands trembled as he picked the lock, then pushed the handle and gently leaned on the door. Get a grip, he told himself as the door edged silently, and slowly open. Within seconds it was done, he was inside the house, now it was a waiting game. From upstairs he could hear her singing stop and her light tread on the stairs. Damn, he had meant to get himself into the living room but now there was no time, he would have to hope she came into the kitchen. He hid behind the door watching her movements through the crack in the door, she had come downstairs now, and she was heading towards the kitchen. Sutty’s chest was thumping but he allowed himself a smile, fate was obviosly on his side, she was heading right for him. A loud noise broke angrily into his happy thoughts and it took a minute for Sutty to register that the doorbell had rung. Damn, he cursed inwardly and pressed his face closer to the crack to watch proceedings. Hopefully it would just be a salesman or some stupid neighbour returning something and once they had gone she would continue to the kitchen, hopefully. He watched as she pulled open the door.

“Oh hi.” It was a friendly greeting so not a salesman.

“Sorry to bother you at this time of night I just wanted to drop this in,” he heard her visitor explain and he allowed himself to hope that his second guess about the nosy neighbour had been spot on. There was something about that voice though, it was so familiar. The logical side of his brain said it was probably someone he had overheard in the past few days while spying on her but something was stirring in the back of his memory.

“Oh my God he is such a klutz! Wait until I catch up with him,” he heard Kirsty exclaim.

“It was an accident, I know he’s not here, Beth said he was going to Irene’s, I was heading there but…but I thought it’d be better to bring it straight here,” the familiar voice explained but even Sutty could tell the explanation was unconvincing.

“Oh right, thanks. Hey are you okay? Tell me to butt out but I’m sensing there is something you’re not telling me and you look like you could do with talking to someone. I’m a good listener,” Kirsty offered, “besides, you’d be doing me a favour, I hate being home alone,” she added. In truth she had been hearing noises and seeing shadows all night since Kane had left.

“Are you sure? You’re right, I could do with a friendly ear.”

“Come on in then,” Kirsty replied.

Damn, damn, damn, Sutty cursed. He pressed his eye closer to the door crack, determined to see who it was who had foiled his plans and if he was honest with himself he was dying to see who the voice belonged to. The door was opened further and the visitor admitted and Sutty had to stop himself from gasping aloud. No wonder the voice had been familiar, damn, damn, damn. Sutty was in turmoil, there was no way he could continue with his plan now, this new development changed things. He had to think, he needed to get out of there. Quickly he crept to the door and managed to get himself outside, he pushed it closed but had to duck down as he heard her move into the kitchen, there was no time to lock it again, he had to get away. Still crouching and pressed close against the wall he moved away from the property and only when he was in his van did he take a deep breath. He started his engine and drove but he did not go far, he parked up down the street out of sight but still with a view of the house and only then did he let his mind register what he had just seen.

“That’s weird, I could have sworn I locked the back door,” Kirsty commented, noticing instantly that the handle was down rather than up. Quickly and feeling extremely nervous she locked it again and going straight to the top drawer in the kitchen she extracted a large knife.

“Kirsty are you okay?” Rachel was both shocked and horrified at the other woman’s actions. Suddenly a second knife was passed to her and Rachel looked at it in disbelief.

“Take it!” Kirsty insisted and something in her voice made Rachel do as she was told.

“What’s going on?” she demanded.

“I’ll explain in a bit but for now we have to check the house and make sure Matthew’s okay,” Kirsty insisted. She took off at a run towards the stairs and Rachel followed her, knife still in hand. At Matthew’s cot Kirsty relaxed slightly, her baby was safe. She picked him up tenderly and held him tightly in her arms then she picked up the knife and held it out, almost brandishing it but far away from her body and her baby.

“Are you crazy?” Rachel demanded.

“Ssh we’ve got to check the house,” Kirsty insisted and although confused Rachel followed as they did just that. Ten minutes later Rachel was making a still shaken Kirsty a cup of tea. They had checked the house twice over and then Kirsty had phoned Irene’s and spoken to Kane who had promised to come straight home. She was sitting in the living room now cuddling her child but with the knife on the table, close at hand. Rachel passed her the cup of tea, which she accepted gratefully.

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” Rachel demanded.

“I’m so sorry I frightened you,” Kirsty said and not entirely to Rachel’s surprise, she began to cry. Rachel moved to sit on the floor next to her.

“It’s okay, I’m a good listener too you know,” she offered, Kirsty managed a feeble smile.

“You must have heard that a few months ago Kane and I went on the run because his dad set him up for a crime he didn’t commit?” Kirsty asked.

“Sure, Leah filled me in, that mad woman admitted to being behind it and Peter caught him right?” Rachel replied.

“Yeah he’s in prison now. Out of our lives or so I thought,” Kirsty explained, she took a deep breath. “We got a note asking Kane to visit him in prison, he didn’t want to go but I made him, I thought he needed to hear what his Dad had to say, get closure, you know,” she explained, Rachel nodded. “Except it didn’t work like that. Gus wanted Kane to do a job for him and when Kane refused he threatened to harm me. Kane didn’t tell me, he didn’t want to scare me but then yesterday we came home after a walk to find the door open and the picture of the three of us on the floor. The glass had been smashed, just over where I was and Kane had received a note and a visiting order warning him to remember the threat. I didn’t know any of this until this afternoon, Kane was acting all weird, saying he was going the Gym when I knew he’d not long been and I knew he was lying so I made him tell me the truth,” Kirsty explained.

“That’s awful!” Rachel sympathised.

“I know, Kane was going to go the prison and see him but I told him not to, I told him to go the police instead and he said he would but in his own time so do you see why I was scared when I found the door unlocked?” Kirsty demanded.

“Scared, I’d have been out of my mind! You poor thing.” Rachel put her arms around Kirsty who instantly began to cry. After a few minutes she pulled back.

“Thank you for listening, you promise you won’t tell anyone?”

“Of course not, I’m here anytime if you need a good listener,” Rachel offered, Kirsty smiled and took a deep sigh.

“Thanks, I’m so sorry I dragged you into this but when you came to the door I was just so relieved not to be alone anymore, I’d been feeling scared all night you see,” Kirsty admitted.

“I would be too, you poor thing!”

“Bet you wish you’d have gone to Irene’s now huh?” Kirsty asked.

“No I was glad I was here for you, makes my troubles seem like nothing,” Rachel replied.

“Oh yeah I’m so sorry, we were meant to be talking about you weren’t we? So tell me why you wanted to avoid Irene’s?” Kirsty asked.

“You don’t need to hear my woes,” Rachel protested.

“After what you’ve just done for me it’s the least I can do and besides it’ll be a distraction and you still need to get it off your chest,” Kirsty insisted.

“Alright then,” Rachel replied, she settled herself back on the opposite sofa and encouraged by Kirsty’s warm smile Rachel told her everything about the situation with Kim.

“Kirst?!” Kane burst in through the door a mere ten minutes later looking every inch as if he had run the whole way back which of course he had.

“I’m okay,” Kirsty insisted but she accepted his hug anyway, “I’m sorry I worried you it was nothing, just me being paranoid.”

“Hardly surprising, I’m so sorry babe,” Kane told her, kissing her softly.

“What for?”

“For getting you into this,” Kane replied.

“Don’t be stupid, it’s my fault for insisting you go visit him. I’m the one who should be sorry so no beating yourself up huh?” Kirsty told him, Kane nodded but he still looked troubled.

“You’re sure there’s no-one here?” he asked.

“Sure, we checked twice, honestly babe it was just me being paranoid,” Kirsty insisted, Kane nodded. He seated himself beside Kirsty and kissed Matthew on the head.

“Hi Rachel, I’m so sorry about this, thanks for being here for Kirst,” Kane told her.

“It’s no problem at all, I’m glad I could help,” Rachel replied.

“I told her everything babe, I had to after what I put her through,” Kirsty replied.

“So would somebody mind telling me what the hecks going on?” Nobody had heard Irene enter the house but she stood now, hands on hips in the doorway, Barry behind her.

“Irene, what are you doing here?” Kane asked.

“Well when you took that phone call and shot out the house shouting that Kirsty was in danger what was I meant to do? I jumped in the car and followed yer so are you gonna tell me what’s going on darl?” Irene demanded, Kane sighed.

“You tell Irene babe, I’m going to make a cup of tea,” Kirsty told him, handing Matthew to Irene who already had her arms outstretched.

“I’ll help you,” Rachel offered. The two women left Kane to his explanation and headed to the kitchen.

“Did you really love Kim then?” Kirsty asked, resuming their conversation.

“I thought I did but I don’t think so so much now. I was infatuated with him, pure lust but it would never have worked, there was too many barriers but that doesn’t stop me feeling hurt and let down. My whole career, the thing I worked so hard to build up could be in jeopardy because of Kim and now that Doctor Helpman knows...” Rachel sighed.

“This Doctor Helpman sounds like a total creep, you can’t let him get away with this,” Kirsty insisted.

“What am I meant to do? If I complain about him he’ll bring up the Kim thing,” Rachel replied.

“So what, he has no proof. You and Kim are over, all you have to say is that you developed feelings for him and somehow Doctor Helpman found out but that you put a stop to things before anything happened. You transferred him to another counsellor and stopped anything happening between you, since then Kim has moved onto another relationship, I’m sure he’ll back you up. That way you get in first and Doctor Helpman can’t prove a thing, if anything the fact that Kim’s back with Kit will do you a favour because it’ll prove that there is nothing between you and Kim,” kirsty explained.

“But Doctor Helpman saw me kissing Kim,” Rachel replied.

“So what? Kim kissed you, you had nothing to do with it, so what if it's not the truth it'll be your word against Helpmans and I'm sure Kim’ll back you up, it’s the least he can do. That way Doctor Helpman can’t prove a thing, at least you’ll have him off your back,” Kirsty explained.

“Do you know what, you’re right and Kim does owe me that much. I’m so glad I came round here tonight, you’ve really helped Kirsty, thanks,” Rachel told her.

“It’s okay, I’m glad you were here too,” Kirsty told her with a smile as poured out the tea and led the way back into the front room.

“I was just telling Kane darl, you’re moving back in with me until this whole thing’s sorted,” Irene told Kirsty the second she entered the room.

“It’s okay Irene, I’ll be fine with Kane here and besides you don’t have the room,” Kirsty protested but she had to admit the thought of moving back into Irene’s busy household did appeal to her at this moment in time.

“Nonsense, Kim’ll sleep on the sofa tonight and tomorrow he’ll temporarily move out. He can stay with Robbie for a few days until this all blows over,” Irene told them.

“We couldn’t make him do that!” Kirsty protested.

“Trust me darl he’ll be glad to, him and Kit are back together so no doubt he’ll be happy to be spending time at her place. Trust me it’ll be fine darl,” Irene insisted. Kirsty glanced briefly at Rachel but the other woman avoided her look.

“I don’t know Irene, you won’t want a young baby waking you up all through the night,” Kane told her.

“Trust me darl It’ll be fine, you know I’ll love having Matthew around and it’ll be good practice for Selina and Stephen and Belle will just have to lump it. Besides you said he’s a good sleeper,” Irene told them.

“He is, can’t think where he gets it from I know I was a holy terror,” Kirsty said with a smile.

“I was told that I was too but who knows huh?” Kane added, a touch of bitterness to his voice, which nobody in the room missed, but nobody mentioned either.

“There’s so many other people at my place you’re bound to be much safer, just for a few days, come on the pair of yer, you know I’m right and I won’t rest until you say yes,” Irene argued, she nudged Barry in the ribs.

“I agree entirely,” he added and Kane had to smile. He knew his wife so well, her eyes had lit up at the suggestion of moving back with Irene and she had been scared tonight, he had known that the minute he heard her voice on the phone and the presence of the knife merely confirmed it.

“Okay we say yes but only for a few days until this is sorted and I’m going to see Peter first thing in the morning. I would have done it tonight but he was busy so I left him to it,” Kane explained.

“The blonde woman? I noticed that too, who is she?” Rachel asked thinking that Leah might like to know.

“That’ll be Angel, she’s just moved back here. Selina mentioned she was having a drink with Peter tonight, it was an apology apparently because she threw coffee all over him!” Irene explained, a knowing look in her eyes and a smile on her face.

“They looked pretty cosy to me,” Rachel fished.

“No girlie there’s nothing in it. Angel’s not long got divorced and from what Selina tell me she just ain’t ready for another relationship yet although if you listen to Colleen they’re already engaged,” Irene explained with a smile, which Rachel returned. She was grateful for the information and had every intention of passing it onto Leah when she confronted her about her feelings for Peter Baker.

“Right well how about I give Rachel a lift home and drop in on Kim to tell him to move into the lounge while you help Kirsty and Kane collect their things?” Barry suggested.

“Sure thing darl, tarra Rach,” Irene replied.

“I’ll see you out,” Kirsty offered. At the door Barry said he would see Kirsty very soon and then discreetly retired to wait for Rachel in the car.

“Thanks so much for tonight,” Kirsty told her when they were alone.

“Thanks to you too. I’m going to go see the hospital board tomorrow and speak to Kim,” Rachel replied.

“Good for you,” Kirsty told her, “what time do you finish work? Do you want to meet for coffee so you can tell me how you got on?”

“That’d be great. I can probably be there about half two, the Diner? I’ll want to hear how you got on with the police,” Rachel replied.

“It’s a date then, see you tomorrow,” Kirsty replied, she waved as Rachel headed to the car. She felt that if one good thing had come out of tonight it was that she had made a new friend. She hadn’t really had much in the way of friends in the Bay since Dani and Jade had left and now Hayley had gone too it was nice to have someone to talk to and somehow it didn’t matter that Rachel was a few years older. As she got into the car and waved goodbye to Kirsty Rachel was thinking along the same lines. Her only real friend in the Bay was Leah and she was so distracted recently that it was nice to have someone else to talk to and Kirsty was a good listener. The fact that she was a few years younger did not matter, it wasn’t as great as the age gap had been between her and Kim anyway. She and Kirsty gave each other a final wave as Barry started the car and then Kirsty shut the door, neither girl realising that from a distance they were both being watched.

Thanks for the nice reviews. I'm definately planning to continue this, I have loads in mind for it I'm just really busy at the moment, sorry. I'll try and update soon... no promises though.

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

The cell door opening jolted Robbie awake and he jumped up off the bed to glare at his captor who was quickly revealed to be Peter.

“So can I go yet?” Robbie demanded.

“We just have one more set of questions then you’ll be allowed to go,” Peter explained.

“I’ve answered everything you’ve asked me, you’ve already kept me here over night!” Robbie fumed.

“I know but that was more for convenience than anything, I thought the Sergeant already explained to you that you weren’t being held it was just too late to let you go,” Peter reminded.

“Translated means you thought I’d run off again but I didn’t run off in the first place!” Robbie protested.

“I know. I promise it’s just a few short questions and then you’ll be released, everything you’ve said checks out Robbie we just need your help now that’s all,” Peter soothed.

“My Mum must be going out of her brain,” Robbie told him.

“PC Holden has been to see her last night. She’ll be in here soon,” Peter told him, he gestured for Robbie to follow him.

“Where’s your Sergeant today then?” Robbie asked, sarcastically.

“Day off,” Peter managed a smile, “Do you want a drink or anything to eat before we get started, I promise it’ll only be quick,” Peter told him.

“No I’m alright, lets get going,” Robbie urged.

“Alright then,” Peter smiled again.

“You’re in a good mood today,” Robbie remarked.

“Am I? Maybe I am,” Peter replied, causing Robbie to smile. Obviously today he was getting Peter Baker the human rather than Peter Baker the cop.

“Has to be a woman,” Robbie added.

“None of your business,” Peter replied but he was still smiling, “shall we press on?”

An hour later Robbie had been released into Beth’s capable hands and Peter was alone sat at his desk. Sergeant Bellmore had been determined to hold Robbie on some charge or other and it had taken all Peter’s persuasive powers to get him off. Truth was that Peter believed what Robbie had said but what was really causing him a headache was why Josh had double crossed Robbie like that.

“PC Grey would you check through the Josh West files for anything at all that may connect Mr West with the Believers farm, I have a funny suspicion that he’s been receiving bribes from them,” Peter replied. “I’m just nipping out for a bit,” he added and smiling to himself he left the Station.

Peter parked his car outside the Diner and opened the door. He had barely got out when he was accosted by a very anxious looking Kane and Kirsty.

“Hey guys what can I do for you?” Peter asked.

“Well we kind of have a problem that we need advice on but we don’t want to make it official police business,” Kane explained warily.

“Okay well have you eaten? I’ll buy you breakfast and you can tell me about it,” Peter suggested and a grateful Kirsty accepted and the threesome headed into the Diner. Colleen was behind the counter and she gave him a knowing look and opened her mouth so he quickly gestured Kirsty and Kane to a table before she could say anything.

“Do you guys mind putting my order in? I can’t be doing with Colleen today,” Peter told them with a wry smile.

“Sure,” Kirsty replied, she headed the counter to order while Kane shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Don’t look so nervous Kane I’m not going to eat you,” Peter told him.

“I know I just…”

“Hate the cops? It’s understandable, I was with a woman last night who is exactly the same,” Peter said then cursed himself for bringing her up.

“Yes the blonde lady,” Kane remarked, Peter looked at him curiously, “I went to Noah’s looking for you but I didn’t want to disturb you,” he amended.

“You should have done, it might have stopped the local gossips having a field day,” Peter replied.

“So you didn’t want your date to be public knowledge then?” Kane teased.

“It wasn’t a date,” Peter insisted.

“Not what Colleen seems to think, she just told me all about it,” Kirsty told them, grinning as she sat back down.

“You know what Colleen’s like,” Peter said, looking to where she stood gossiping and shooting frequent glances in his direction. Behind her Leah was pretending not to listen to every word and Peter’s heart lurched. If him meeting Angel bothered her then maybe she did have feelings for him after all.

“Thanks for breakfast Peter,” Kirsty said, bringing Peter’s thoughts back to the present.

“No problem, so how about you tell me what’s bothering you?” Peter asked and with a reluctant sigh Kane began their story, interrupted in places by Kirsty.

“You did the right thing in coming to me with this,” Peter told them when their story had finished.

“So what do we do about it? If Gus finds out we’ve told you then Kirst’ll be in even more danger,” Kane told him.

“I see that, I think we need to move discreetly on this. You say you’ve moved back to Irene’s?”

“Yeah we felt safer there,” Kirsty replied.

“Okay well I think that’s probably for the best at the moment. Kirsty I want you to make sure that you’re never alone, that there’s always somebody with you. I’m sure with everyone at Irene’s house that you can manage that and I’ll have a plain clothed officer go round to yours and set a wire on the phone and give you a panic button which will come straight to us if you have any trouble. Don’t look so worried it’s just a precaution, in the meantime I need to do some digging and find out what exactly what’s going on with this money he wants you to move. Kane I want you to go and see him,” Peter said.

“What?!” Kirsty was horror struck.

“We need to know just what he’s up to. You’re not going to get into any trouble now that you’ve let me in on it so I want you to play along, make some excuse as to why you didn’t go yesterday and go see him. Say everything exactly as you would have if you had gone yesterday. Can you do that Kane?” Peter asked.

“I guess although it’ll make my blood boil to see him,” Kane replied.

“Good, that’s exactly what we want you to be like, it’s what he’ll expect and in the meantime I’ll start making enquiries as to what he’s up to. I don’t think we should meet so publicly from now on though, we’ll either contact each other over the phone or meet more discreetly okay?” Peter suggested.

"Okay Peter thanks,” Kirsty said.

“Yeah thanks for breakfast,” Kane added.

“No problem.” Peter stood up with them, “I’m sorry I can’t tell you more about what’s going on with Amanda and Josh you know I can’t discuss cases. I wouldn’t worry though it looks like just about everyone’s threatened Josh at one time or another Kane so I doubt you’ll get into trouble over it,” Peter told him loudly. Kane looked confused but Kirsty caught on quickly.

“Okay thanks for that Peter, it’s one less worry off our mind, come on babe lets go collect Matthew from Irene,” Kirsty suggested. She and Kane waved goodbye and left while Peter went to the counter to settle the bill, he quickly glanced around him.

“If you’re looking for Angel she was in here much earlier on,” Colleen provided.

“Why would I be looking for Angel?” Peter demanded.

“Well I just thought after your date last night…”

“I didn’t have a date last night Colleen so I’d thank you to not think.” Peter threw the money at her and ignoring Leah’s questioning glance, left the Diner.

“It was nice you know but there’s nothing in it, I’m just not ready for anything like that yet,” Angel explained to Selina as she sipped her coffee.

“That’s not what anyone else seems to think. Colleen in the Diner has been having a field day,” Selina teased.

“I know but I don’t care. We’re just friends and there is nothing wrong with that is there? I don’t know so many people around here and it’s nice to have someone to talk to,” Angel told her.

“You don’t have to justify yourself to me,” Selina replied, “or at all for that matter,” she added.

“I know it’s just I was with Simon so long, I’m not ready to move on yet,” Angel replied.

“That’s understandable, so is he attractive then this Detective?” Selina asked, a teasing smile playing on her lips.

“A little,” Angel replied. “So where’s Stephen this morning?” she deftly changed the subject and Selina let her.

“At the Gym again, he’s well into helping out there, it’s bringing his childhood back I think,” Selina replied.

“I think being back here has done that for all of us,” Angel remarked.

“Yeah I know. How are the kids settling in?”

“Oh just fine. I’ve hardly seen Dylan, he’s always out with two girls he’s met it’s all Cassie this and Matilda that but they seem like nice kids, one of them lives with Sally. I can’t help wishing my son would make more of an effort with the boys his age though, he’s so like Shane was, at war with the lads and flirting with the girls. Shane had Damien to keep him on the straight and narrow though Dylan doesn’t really have any close male friend,” Angel mused.

“From what I remember it was more Shane leading Damien astray than Damien keeping him on the straight and narrow though!” Selina laughed.

“You’re probably right. I just worry that Dylan has no calming influence on him, no father figure at least Shane had Nick to look up to. Dylan despised Simon for years so he has no respect for authority father figures,” Angel explained.

“He’s a good kid you know Angel, you’ve done a good job with him and he obviously thinks the world of you. I hope I’m half as close to my kids as you are to Dylan and Shane,” Selina told her.

“Yeah, I know I’m really lucky, they are wonderful kids. They were so grown up about moving back here, most kids would have given their mother so much grief but they’ve been great about it. Shane made a new friend yesterday at the beach and I think Dylan’s relieved that she’s not going to be tagging along with him anymore, having a little sister well and truly ruins your street cred you know,” Angel explained, smiling.

“How is it being back with Don, he must be a good influence on them, they say teachers never stop being teachers,” Selina asked.

“It’s so good having him stay. He was the closest thing I ever had to a father figure and the kids think of him as their Grandfather, Shane’s started calling him Granddad, he was tickled pink and I know he likes being back in the Bay. I know he’s settled with June and her son Harry but I can’t help hoping he’ll stay here just a bit longer, I love having him here and so do the kids. He’s been telling Dylan all about Summer Bay High, what’s the new Headmaster like by the way?”

“He’s great, he reminds me a lot of how flathead, sorry Mr Fisher used to be. Strict and cold on the surface but warm and kind underneath, he and Irene are so good together, she’s so happy and they’re like a real family here,” Selina explained.

“You’ll be right at home here when your baby arrives then?” Angel asked.

“Yeah I’m so scared though Angel, I’ve lost two children I don’t think I could bear to lose a third,” Selina confided.

“You won’t, this child’s meant to be. I honestly believe that everything happens for a reason. Shane had to die in order for his baby to be delivered safely during that horrible storm,” Angel explained.

“Do you really believe that? Maybe I was too young to have Maddy, me and Damien certainly weren’t strong enough to bring a child into the world but why did Tommy have to die?” Selina demanded.

“I don’t know but Stephen survived that crash, he shouldn’t have but he did and as a result of it you both moved back here, maybe that’s what was meant to happen. It’s something to cling to anyway, if you believe that everything’s for a purpose then it means there’s more than this life and I find that reassuring,” Angel told her.

“Maybe, I’m glad you’re here though you know Angel,” Selina told her.

“I’m glad you’re here too,” Angel replied.

“Hi!” Kirsty greeted Selina and Angel as she entered the Beach house.

“Hey, Irene apologises there was some sort of mini crisis with Leah at the Diner and she hoped you wouldn’t mind her leaving Matthew with Angel and I,” Selina explained.

“Oh it’s no problem, is he still asleep?” Kirsty asked, looking in on him.

“Yeah, he’s been a little Angel,” Selina replied.

“He’s such a good baby, thanks for watching him,” Kirsty spoke up.

“It was no problem, did you get to do what you needed to?” Selina asked.

“Yeah thanks,” Kirsty replied.

“Good, this is Angel by the way,” Selina introduced.

“I’m Kirsty nice to meet you and this is my husband Kane,” she replied, leaning over to give Angel a hug.

“Nice to meet you, you’re making me all nostalgic, you know. I was just like you when I was your age, newly married with a young son, more problems than I could contend with but we were so happy,” Angel told them.

“That sounds like us doesn’t it babe?” Kirsty told Kane.

“Enjoy every minute of it while he’s this age, mine are terrors now,” Angel explained.

“I fully intend to. How old are your children?” Kirsty asked.

“Sixteen and eleven,” Angel replied.

“Sorry to interrupt guys but I need to get off, something I have to do,” Kane looked meaningfully at Kirsty, “Will you be alright Kirst? Will you phone Rachel and get her to meet you here I don’t want you walking the Diner alone,” he cautioned.

“I’m heading that way now, I’ll walk with you if you like,” Angel offered.

“Really? Thanks,” Kirsty replied, she looked at Kane, “I’ll be fine babe you get off just give me a call when you’re done.” It was her turn to give him a meaningful look and after kissing her an anxious Kane departed.

“What do you think Sel do you fancy an afternoon on the beach?” Angel asked.

“I’m a bit tired now actually Angel I was going to have a lie down, maybe I’ll join you in a few hours though?” Selina suggested.

“No problem, I just fancied a day at the beach. I might take a long walk up to Stewart’s point but I’ll meet you on the beach about two if you fancy it?” Angel suggested.

“Yeah sounds good. Why don’t you and your friend join us Kirsty?” Selina offered.

“Really? That’d be great, I’m meeting Rachel for lunch but I wouldn’t mind coming down after that, I’ve not had a day on the beach since before I had Matthew. You tend to take it for granted when you’re here all the time, I’ll see if Rachel fancies it as well,” Kirsty replied.

“Great I’ll see you at two then.” Selina waved them off from the front of the house and then quickly locked up and headed out the back door.

Peter was deep in thought as he returned to the Station. Colleen’s remarks had rankled with him more than he cared to admit. What was wrong with him and Angel being friends? Neither of them had too many friends in the Bay and they got on, what was wrong with that? Why did everyone assume that a guy and girl couldn’t be friends without anything going on? He had seen Leah’s face as Colleen had been gossiping and it had made him think that there was something there after all. He had longed to reassure her that he was just friends with Angel, that she was the one he wanted and that Angel wasn’t ready for a relationship anyway but of course saying such things to Leah was out of the question. Yet at the same time he was determined not to lose his new-found friendship with Angel, she was the first person in a while that he had felt relaxed enough to confide in. It was a police officer’s prerogative not to trust anyone but he had trusted her and she had trusted him and he was not altogether sure he wanted to lose that. Pushing open the door of the Station his thoughts returned to the dilemma Kirsty and Kane had presented him, Gus Philips was up to something, he was as sure as he could be of that, the question was what? Heading to his desk he picked up the phone intending to make some phone calls but a knock on the door interrupted him.

“Detective Baker?”

“What is it PC Grey?”

“We can’t find any evidence of transactions between Mr West and the Believers but there is a phone number in Mr West’s phone for a Jonah and we know he’s one of the leaders up at that Believer camp place,” PC Grey informed him.

“Okay that’s a start but its not concrete, keep digging,” Peter instructed.

“Right there was one more thing Detective. We were looking up the calls Mr West made to this Jonah and a few seconds before one of the calls Mr West seems to receive a text message which reads ‘tests swapped. Mission accomplished.’ We traced the number and it belongs to a guy who works in the hospital at Yabbie Creek, he’s a laboratory worker,” PC Grey explained.

“A laboratory worker who sends texts saying ‘tests swapped’? I think we need to move on this," Peter told him.

"PC Holden started making enquiries about it Sir," PC Grey explained.

"And where is he now?"

"He just went to check sometyhing out," PC Grey explained.

"Great that's all I need. I told Sergeant Bellmore that if he tied Holden to a desk he'd turn maverick on us," Peter fumed, "get Holden on the phone."

"Yes Sir." A few minutes later Peter was on the phone to Jack.

"Where are you?"

"At the Diner," Jack replied.

"What the hell are you doing there?" Peter demanded.

"Picking up lunch," Jack replied.

"Right well we're moving on something and you're coming with me so I'll pick you up from outside the Diner in ten minutes," Peter told him. Hanging up the phone. "Diner my arse," he muttered to himself.

Jack hung up his phone and cursed loudly, he had been watching the Believer's camp from a distance for an hour now and they were definately planning something but if Peter was heading the Diner, the Diner was where Jack needed to be. Hurriedly he raced to his car.

Selina walked at a brisk pace until she reached the Believer’s camp. She hated lying to everybody but now that she had made a start on building Tasha’s trust she really wanted to finish what she had started and get the girl out of there. Her thoughts wandered to what Angel had said about everything happening for a reason and she wondered if the reason both her children had died was to bring her to this point in time where she could save this girl from these evil people. The more she thought about it, the more the idea made sense to her.

“Hello child.” The woman Mamma Rose approached her almost the second she stepped foot in the camp.

“Hello is Tasha around?” Selina asked.

“Yes she’s just over there, will you join us for lunch like you promised?” she asked.

“Why not,” Selina replied. She was led to grassy area where a large number of people had congregated, Tasha greeted her enthusiastically.

“Hi, I’m glad you came back,” she told her.

“Me too,” Selina replied as drinks were handed to them both, “what is it?” she asked.

“Camomile tea, it’s good and good for your baby,” Mamma Rose told her, Selina smiled and took a sip.

“You’re right it is good,” she replied, taking another sip. From her perch at the edge of the group Mamma Rose watched Tasha and Selina drinking their drinks and an evil smile lurked on her lips.

Archived