Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the lovely comments, I'm amazed that people are actually reading so thanks.

Tam - I love K/K too so I'll try and bring them in where I can. The problem I have is that they had so many bad things happen to them and I just want them to be happy so scenes between them tend to be more soppy than dramatic and I find it so much harder to write happy scenes than the sad ones! I'll try my best though and appologies to non-K/K fans for the soppy scenes!

Mac - I love Kit too and she'll feature pretty heavily in the next few chapters.

CHAPTER FIVE

While Josh’s presence in Noah’s bar was serving to anger Beth, at home in the Hunter House her daughter Kit was managing to get herself wound up just at the very thought of Amanda. She had only been back in the Bay a few hours and what her mother had told her in that time had already made her see red. Amanda, the woman who had lied, cheated and manipulated Scott, the woman who had kept Scott and Hayley apart and if she was truthful, herself and Kim, the same woman who Kit was convinced had spiked her drink was now married to her Granddad. If Beth was right then Amanda was using him for his money while involved in some conspiracy with Josh West and Kit was seething at the thought of it. Never being one to sit and do nothing Kit knew she would never settle until she had at least had it out with Amanda so picking up her jacket, she raced out of the house. It was only a short walk to Amanda’s flat but the walk did little to calm her down, if anything it only served to make her more wound up. Furiously she hammered the door of Amanda’s flat and the lyrical “hold on a minute” rang out almost instantly but the very sound of her voice made Kit hammer harder. “Hold on a minute!” Amanda’s voice was shrill and tense now as the door was pulled open and Kit clapped eyes on the woman she detested so much.

“Kit,” Amanda’s false smile dropped the instant she saw Kit’s expression and her eyes hardened, “I have nothing to say to you.” She went to shut the door but Kit was too quick for her. Jamming her foot in it, Kit pushed the door back open and put her hand on Amanda’s chest forcing the older woman back into the flat.

“Well I have plenty to say to you and until I say it, I’m not leaving so do you want to put the kettle on or should I just throw it at you?”

“This is the life huh?” Belle demanded from her perch on the floor of the boat. She looked at Ric, who having relaxed had taken over the steering. Deep down he knew what they were doing was wrong but there was something about Belle, she bought out his rebellious side, kind of like Cassie had done when they had first met. Smiling he recalled the jet-ski incident, how attracted he had been to the mischievous girl she had been then but so much had happened and that girl had disappeared. He looked at Belle again and she flashed him a playful grin, he smiled back.

“It is gorgeous out here,” he agreed with her, looking back out onto the open sea.

“So is the view from my end,” she teased, looking him up and down, Ric fixed her with a mock-glare.

“Why don’t you do something useful and go get us some cold drinks from downstairs?” Ric suggested and to his surprise Belle actually did as he asked. “It’s getting kind of dark you know, we should head back soon,” he added, focusing his attention back on the darkening sky but as he looked out he had the sudden feeling that something was wrong, the boat felt sluggish and far too low in the water. From below the deck Belle screamed and Ric instantly knew something was very wrong. As he turned to look she emerged from below decks and from the waist down she was dripping with water. “What the hell?” Ric demanded.

“There’s water everywhere it’s so deep, I couldn’t even get down there!” she hastily explained.

“Oh hell, I knew we shouldn’t have done this, this was a stupid idea!” Ric snapped.

“You were happy enough ten minutes ago!” Belle shot back.

“Look there’s no point arguing, this boat is sinking. What the hell are we going to do?” Ric demanded.

“Don’t ask me, you’re the sailor.” Belle’s voice was almost blasé and Ric glared at her.

“Don’t you take anything seriously?” he demanded.

“Look, just see this as an adventure. We have to get off this boat, it’s sinking and there’s lovely cosy lifejackets there so we’ll just have to cuddle up in the sea,” Belle suggested.

“Are you crazy? We’ll drown or freeze or get eaten by sharks!”

“Chill Mr Pessimist, do you have any other ideas? I really don’t want to go down with the boat.” Ric sighed.

“Life jackets it is then, they’re at the back of the boat,” Ric replied, Belle ran to retrieve them. Water was splashing over the sides now and the boat was tipped dangerously to one side. “What about Granddad’s boat though?” Ric demanded.

“We can’t do anything about that though can we? If we don’t get off this boat we’re going to die,” Belle replied.

“When my granddad catches up with me I’m going to die anyway.” Ric sighed as the two of them pulled on life jackets and prepared to abandon the sinking boat.

“Well congratulations Mrs Philips.” Kane kissed Kirsty gently on the head and she smiled at him through exhausted eyes.

“Congratulations to you too Mr Philips,” Kirsty replied, pulling him closer for a more passionate kiss. “Oh babe I love you so much, he’s beautiful, just perfect.”

“I know, he looks just like his Mum,” Kane replied.

“But he has his Daddy’s eyes,” Kirsty added, “Babe you’re not disappointed are you?” Kirsty asked suddenly.

“Disappointed? Babe I’m the happiest man alive! You’ve made me the proudest man in the world, why on Earth would I be disappointed?” Kane demanded.

“I know, it’s just I know you wanted a girl,” Kirsty replied.

“Oh babe that was just banter, you said you were convinced our baby was a boy so I just said it’d be a girl to give us something to wind each other up with. You know I think it’s sexy when you get in a nark, your nose twitches,” Kane teased.

“It does not!” Kirsty replied but she was laughing.

“Knock, knock,” a voice at the door asked.

“Irene, come in and see him, he’s so beautiful!” Kane urged, Irene did not need telling twice.

“Oh darl he’s gorgeous, what are you going to call him?” Irene asked.

“We haven’t got that far yet have we babe?” Kane asked of his wife, his eyes sparkling.

“What he means is that we keep arguing!” Kirsty replied.

“Well there is one thing we agreed on isn’t there babe?” Kane gave Kirsty a pointed look and she nodded. “We agreed that this baby is going to be bought up in happiness surrounded by people we love and who love him and you’re one of them people Irene,” Kane explained. “You’ve supported us through so much and loved us like your own children and soon as my parents are out of the question, I particularly want you to have a big role in this baby’s life,” Kane continued.

“What Kane’s trying to say is will you be his godmother?” Kirsty jumped in.

“Hey you blew my thunder!” Kane protested but he was smiling.

“Babe you were gibbering!” Kirsty teased, they both looked to Irene. “So?” Kirsty asked.

“I’d be honoured darl, really honoured.” Irene kissed Kirsty on the cheek and hugged Kane, “there’s nothing I’d like better, you two are a delight to me, do you know that?” Irene was beaming. “So who’s my other half, have you decided yet?”

“Well we wanted Flynn after all he did for us but obviously that’s not a question now and we don’t think Flynn’s particularly replaceable,” Kane explained.

“You’re not wrong there love,” Irene agreed.

“So we decided that instead of a Godfather we’re just going to have two Godmothers, a bit unconventional I know but since when have Kirst and I ever been conventional?” Kane asked, Irene laughed.

“So we’re asking Beth to be the other Godmother,” Kirsty finished.

“Babe you did it again!” Kane protested.

“You were gibbering again!” Kirsty replied, grinning. As Irene watched them her heart warmed, they were so good together, so in love and hopefully things would go right for them from now on. She was so contented watching them that she did not notice the Doctor enter the room.

“Sorry ladies and Gents but my patients need their rest now,” the Doctor urged, he flashed Kane a sympathetic smile.

“Alright, I get the hint. Hey what’s your name Doc?” Kane asked, suddenly.

“Doctor Thompson, my first name is Matthew.” he replied with a quizzical smile.

“Matthew, I could live with that,” Kirsty replied, knowing as usual exactly what Kane was thinking.

“Matthew Thomas Philips, has a good sturdy ring,” Kane replied with a self-satisfied smile.

“Little Matty, I love it but babe, I reckon you should go now before big Matty gets angry with you,” Kirsty urged, Kane nodded.

“I love you babe,” he told her.

“I love you too,” Kirsty replied, as she watched Kane follow Irene towards the door, “And Babe?” she asked, Kane turned back, “don’t go far.” Kane smiled.

“I’ll never be far away from you again babe, I swear it, bye.” Kane was smiling as he left her room and contented, Kirsty turned over and fell straight to sleep, a happy smile on her face.

CHAPTER SIX

“We should be doing more,” Alf fumed to Peter. It had been hours since Kane’s phone call had reported the theft of the Blaxland and those involved were seated in Noah’s Bar being repeatedly plied with drinks by Beth.

“What exactly would you have us do Alf? Police teams are out searching and assisting the Marine Rescue. We’ll find them,” Peter aussured.

“You should let me conduct a proper rescue from here like we usually do in these situations,” Alf replied.

“You’re already co-ordinating the Marine Rescue from here Alf, we can’t send anybody else out there, we have no idea what we’re dealing with here. These guys could be armed, dangerous, who knows and I refuse to have civilians put at risk. The Police teams are specially trained for these sorts of situations, besides it’s getting dark,” Peter explained.

“I just feel so flaming useless!” Alf replied.

“I know and I promise when the reinforcements from Yabbie Creek come in we’ll organise proper search teams but it will be one person from Search and Rescue to three Officers, okay?” Peter asked.

“Alright, alright,” Alf replied, he looked up as a young couple approached them.

“Detective Baker?” the man asked.

“Alright Clive,” Alf greeted the man and shook his hand.

“Hi Alf, this concerns you too. As Alf will tell you Detective, I own a small fishing boat and earlier on we were out in it, a bit of a romantic getaway you know, it’s our anniversary today and when we were returning to the Wharf the Blaxland went past us. I remember thinking it was strange because I was sure you said it was going into Dock for repairs Alf but I didn’t think too much about it until somebody just told me it had been reported stolen,” Clive explained.

“Did you by any chance get a good look at who was on it?” Peter asked.

“I didn’t Sir they were too far away but my wife swears she saw a girl and a boy on board, you tell them love,” Clive suggested to his wife, a small mousy woman.

“It was hard to tell but they were both young, teenagers even with dark hair, I didn’t really see much more of them,” she admitted.

“It’s not much to go on,” Peter said, disappointed.

“I’m sorry but I did hear something as well, I don’t know if it helps at all but the boy said something about his Granddad killing him and the girl was telling him to chill out and relax, that’s all I heard,” she apologised.

“It’s not much to go on but thanks anyway, I’ll have to take a full statement from you of course, if you wouldn’t mind seeing PC King over there please,” Peter told her and the woman nodded.

“It’s not much to go on is it? Somebody who’s Granddad is going to kill them and a girl telling him to chill out,” Peter mused, “I best get somebody working on it though.”

“Detective Baker?” Cassie, who had been nearby and heard the conversation, interrupted.

“Yes Cassie?” Peter asked.

“It’s Ric, Ric took the boat. Ric and that silly Belle girl, she’s always trying to get him to do stupid things,” Cassie explained.

“You’re sure about this Cassie?” Peter asked.

“No but it makes sense doesn’t it? His Granddad would kill him for taking his boat and Ric left the house about three not long before the boat was taken and I’m pretty sure he was going to see her,” Cassie explained.

“Stone the flamin’ crows, the stupid boy!” Alf exclaimed, angrily.

“Right first things first, Beth can you phone Sally and check if Ric’s been home all day,” Peter instructed and Beth disappeared to make the phone call.

“Now will you let me organise a proper rescue?” Alf demanded.

“We still don’t know for certain it’s them Alf and it’s half eight, nearly dark anyway,” Peter reminded.

“We know it’s kids at any rate and like Cassie said it makes sense. For God’s sake Peter that’s my grandson out there, I’m prepared to work through the night on this!” Alf argued.

“Me too Granddad,” Martha spoke up.

“Count me in,” Tony Holden added and next to him Dan nodded his agreement.

“Me too,” Kim added and within minutes there was enough volunteers to put together teams, Peter paused for a fraction of a second.

“Okay do it but you have got to treat this like any other rescue Alf and the minute it gets too dangerous to carry on you pull the plug, okay?” Peter demanded and Alf nodded. Dan put his hand reassuringly on his brother’s shoulder, “I just hope to God this doesn’t blow up in my face,” Peter told his brother as Alf began to rally his teams into action.

“Now you just listen to me, I love Graham and he loves me. As I told your mother, there’s nothing you can do about that,” Amanda snapped, smugly.

“Oh can’t I?” Kit replied. The two of them had been arguing for just over an hour and had been covering pretty much the same ground. “My Granddad’s a fool and he’ll see through you and your manipulating ways eventually. Nobody can do the things you do and get away with it for too long, things have a habit of catching up with you, you know,” Kit told her.

“I have no idea what you mean and you have a nerve coming round here with your narrow-minded allegations, you can’t prove anything,” Amanda added.

“Scott saw through you though didn’t he? You had him wrapped around your little finger but your games caught up with you eventually and Dan, he saw through you too. The fact is Amanda that you think you’re clever but you’re not, sure you’re manipulative and the men tend to fall for it but us women, we see right through you,” Kit snapped.

“Look I haven’t got time to stand here and continue this argument with you, Graham will be home any minute and wanting his tea and you wouldn’t want your Granddad unhappy now would you?” Amanda demanded.

“Happy? You wouldn’t know the meaning of the word, you said my Granddad should have been home half an hour ago but it’s nearly half eight now and he’s not here yet so my guess is, you’re just lying as usual,” Kit suggested.

“Well he must be running late,” Amanda replied.

“Or maybe he’s seen through you?” Kit suggested.

“Graham loves me, he does everything I tell him,” Amanda told her, smugly.

“Like give you all his money? Admit it Amanda that’s what this is really all about isn’t it? Money, you’re too selfish for it to be anything else.”

“I happen to love Graham,” Amanda insisted.

“You only know how to love yourself,” Kit replied, “or maybe Josh West.” It was a stab in the dark but Amanda’s momentary flinch told Kit that she had hit the mark.

“So you are having an affair with him? Tut tut, what would Granddad have to say about that?” Kit demanded.

“I am not having an affair with Josh West, I barely know the man and do you really think Graham would believe you anyway?” Amanda demanded.

“Maybe not but one of these days you’ll slip up Amanda and when you do, I’ll be ready and waiting,” Kit told her.

“Get out, you nasty, vindictive...” Amanda began.

“Name calling, how mature, if you don’t mind I’ll stick around for a bit. I wouldn’t mind seeing my Granddad, it has been awhile and while we wait I have plenty more to say to you,” Kit replied, settling herself down on the couch. Amanda glared at her but Kit smiled. She was just in the right mood for an argument and if she was right, she had her Granddad’s wife well and truly rattled, it was just a case of beating her down and Kit was more than willing to wait for that.

“Sally you haven’t seen Ric at all today have you?” Pippa asked, holding the phone away from her, Sally said nothing. “No Beth I’m sorry, he left here about half three when Cassie did, he said he had stuff to do,” Pippa explained.

“Okay thanks Pippa,” Beth replied.

“Can I ask why?” Pippa asked.

“Yeah sure it’s just that Alf’s boat the Blaxland has been stolen and a witness saw two young people a boy and a girl on board,” Beth explained.

“So you think Ric took it?” Pippa asked.

“It looks that way, we have teams out looking for him though,” Beth reassured.

“So who’s the girl then, not Cassie?” Pippa asked.

“No Cassie’s here, it looks like it’s that Belle girl who has been hanging around,” Beth explained.

“Great, just what we need.” Pippa looked at Sally who was still sat, emotionless on the sofa.

“Tell Sally not to worry Pippa, we’ll find them before it’s too late,” Beth replied.

“What do you mean before it’s too late?” Pippa demanded.

“Oh I…” Beth was stuttering and Pippa was not fooled.

“Beth what is it?”

“The boat has a hole in it, Alf thinks when it gets out into open sea it’ll start letting in water and probably sink,” Beth explained.

“Dear God! Can I have a word with Cassie please Beth?” Pippa asked.

“Sure,” Beth replied and Pippa heard her on the other end of the phone calling for Cassie.

“Sally its Ric, he’s in big danger, he’s out on Alf’s boat and it has a huge hole in it, it’s probably going to sink anytime. Sally are you listening to me?” Pippa was hoping to provoke a response but Sally merely turned away, disinterested.

“Pippa are you and Sally coming down here?” Cassie’s voice was on the phone.

“I don’t know if we can Cass, Sally, you know,” she attempted to explain.

“Pippa I’m scared, I need you!” Cassie cried.

“Okay I’ll see what I can do,” Pippa replied. She hung up the phone and went to sit by her foster daughter.

“Sally Saunders you have got to snap out of this, I know you’ve lost your husband but your children need you. For God’s sake Sally, Ric could die!” Pippa was tired of the soft approach, it was time to be hard but Sally stubbornly turned away. “Fine have it your way but don’t expect me to stick around. If you won’t support your children then I will.” Scooping baby Pippa from her pram, Pippa headed out of the house yet Sally still refused to say a word.

“Ah Holden before you clock off I’ve just got one more for you,” Jack’s boss called from his office.

“But Sir please can somebody else go? I desperately want to go help with this rescue mission!” Jack begged.

“I know it’s your girlfriend’s family Holden but I need you to take this call, there isn’t anybody else you know that.” Jack sighed.

“So what is it then?” he demanded.

“A motorist has reported a body at the side of the road, looks like a hit and run. This is the location, PC Roberts will go with you.”

“Yes Sir.” Jack accepted the papers that were handed to him and keen to get the call over and get back to Martha, raced out of the door. Sirens flashing and much to the disgust of PC Roberts, Jack beat every speed limit to arrive in record time at the scene. A small dark haired and obviously distressed woman stepped out of a blue station wagon and approached them.

“Hello I’m PC Holden this is PC Roberts did you make this call?” Jack asked.

“Yes, he’s over there. I nearly ran over him myself. I got such a shock, to think somebody could just leave a person for dead like that,” she shuddered.

“He’s definitely dead then?” Jack asked.

“I’m no expert but yeah I reckon so,” she replied.

“Right, PC Roberts will take your statement Mrs…”

“Franklin,” she supplied.

“Mrs Franklin, I’ll just go see if there’s any ID or anything on the body,” Jack told his partner who nodded and removed his notepad.

“I don’t envy him that job, he’s pretty mangled,” Jack heard Mrs Franklin tell PC Roberts so bracing himself he approached the body. She wasn’t wrong, Jack thought as he knelt beside the obviously dead man. He was in a bad way but as Jack turned the dead man over he staggered back in shock and disbelief and suddenly he realised his night was about to get much, much worse.

Aww, I loved the Kane/Kirsty scenes in the previous chapter, it's a nice change to have nothing bad happening to them! :P

We agreed that this baby is going to be bought up in happiness surrounded by people we love and who love him and you’re one of them people Irene"

That's really sweet. :)

When the whole storyline of Kirsty and Kane getting together was being played out I really didn't like it at all, I couldn't grasp how kirsty could love her sister's rapist but when I first started reading fanfics on this board I changed my mind and grew to love them too. Promises to keep was the first K/K story I read and I thought it was amazing, you're a really good writer and when I started this I knew I had to bring Kirsty and Kane back somewhere. I was a big fan of the relationship between Kane and Irene, the fact that she was probably the closest thing he had ever had to a mother figure and I always thought there was much more potential to develop their relationship. I always hoped that on the show the writers might have had Eve/Zoe admit to framing Kane as part of her revenge so that they could come back but they disappointed me! I'm not sure where this fic is going yet, I have a few storylines in my head and Kirsty and Kane will keep popping up, probably with more happy stuff because I'm too soft to do otherwise!

CHAPTER SEVEN

It was nearing eleven and the rescue mission had been called off due to the arrival of darkness when an exhausted and still uniformed Jack, entered Noah’s Bar. Many people were sleeping, having bedded down on the floor but a select few, namely Alf, Peter, Pippa, Beth, Tony and Martha were still awake. Martha stood up and ran to him the minute she saw him. For a minute Jack just held her, taking comfort from her but then he pulled away.

“Where have you been? I thought you were finished hours ago?” she demanded.

“I was but I took one final call and it took longer than I expected. Are you okay? Is there any news?” Jack asked, Martha shook her head and Jack held her for a minute.

“You must be shattered, I’ll fix you a drink,” she offered.

“Thanks but there’s something I have to do first. Can you just give me a minute please Martha? I have to speak to Beth,” Jack told her, kissing her.

“Sure.” Martha was confused but she knew better than to press him, he would tell her when he was ready.

“Beth can I have a word in private?” Jack asked.

“What’s up son?” Tony asked, from his position next to Beth. Jack indicated that they should move to the next room and he did not object when his Dad came with Beth.

“I’m really sorry Beth but I have some bad news for you. Earlier tonight I was called to the scene of a hit and run a few miles away off Yabbie Creek Road and there’s no easy way to tell you this. The victim was Graham, your father. I am so sorry Beth,” Jack told her. For a minute Beth did not react but then shock registered and she shook her head disbelievingly.

“No, not Dad. You’re sure?” she demanded.

“Certain Beth, I identified him myself. I’m really sorry.”

“A hit and run? You mean somebody left him for dead?” There was anger in Beth’s voice now.

“It looks that way. The woman who phoned us said she two people get into a black Mercedes and drive off from the place where your father was found. Of course it could be an accident and the Driver simply panicked but we can’t rule anything out at this stage,” Jack explained.

“You mean it might be deliberate?” Beth was horrified.

“It’s a possibility. The woman could not give us many details except that the two people were both wearing all black and obviously it was dark but she was pretty certain that one of the people wore a skirt, which obviously suggests it was a female. Beth I’m sorry to do this but it’s a formality, I have to ask, did you leave the Surf Club at any point this evening?” Jack asked. Beth shook her head, still in shock.

“I’ve been here all night, ask anyone,” she replied, “it’s her, it has to be!” Beth announced suddenly.

“Who Beth?” Jack asked.

“Who else? Amanda, we all know she only married him for his money, her and Josh, they’ve been planning something. I bet it was this! He has a black Mercedes too!” Beth exclaimed.

“You’re forgetting something Beth, Josh was here all night, he only left about an hour ago,” Tony reminded her.

“Then it’s just her, it has to be!” Beth protested, angrily.

“Of course I’ll look into it, I have to go see Amanda now anyway. As his wife I should have told her before you but I wanted you to know first Beth. I promise you I’ll get to the bottom of this and if Amanda was to blame, I’ll find out, I promise.” Jack squeezed her shoulder and gave a half smile to his Dad who pulled Beth into his arms as she began to sob.

“Jack?” Martha asked, seeing he was about to leave.

“I’m sorry, I have to go. Beth’s Dad was killed tonight in a hit and run, I have to go tell Amanda but I’ll be back soon, I promise.” Jack kissed her quickly but tenderly and left.

Jack knocked on Amanda’s door but it was several minutes before a disgruntled Amanda opened it wearing nothing but her dressing gown.

“Graham where on Earth have you…Jack?” she tailed off, on seeing who her caller was.

“Amanda. Can I come in please?” Jack asked.

“Sure, what’s the matter? Is it Graham? He was meant to be back hours ago,” Amanda replied.

“And you didn’t think to look for him?” Jack asked.

“I had company until about an hour ago, I just thought he must have gone for a few drinks or gone to see Beth or something,” she explained. “You’re telling me he’s not?”

“No I’m afraid not, Amanda I’m sorry to have to tell you this but Graham’s dead,” Jack told her.

“Dead?” Amanda looked convincingly stunned and Jack was taken aback. She looked genuinely shocked so it seemed Beth had it wrong.

“Yes I’m afraid so,” Jack confirmed.

“But, how?”

“It looks like a hit and run, off Yabbie Creek Road, a young woman found him,” Jack explained.

“Oh my God!” Amanda clapped a hand over her mouth, as tears pricked the corner of her eyes.

“Amanda I’m sorry to have to ask you this but there is a possibility that this wasn’t an accident and as a formality I have to ask you where you were between half nine and ten this evening?” Jack asked.

“I was here, at the flat,” Amanda replied between sobs but without hesitation.

“And can anyone confirm that? You said you had company?” Jack asked.

“Yes I did, she turned up just about half seven but didn’t leave till gone ten,” Amanda replied, she wiped her face with the back of her hand.

“Who did Amanda?” Jack pressed.

“Kit, Kit Hunter,” she replied.

“Kit? Kit Hunter was here for two an a half hours?” Jack had never met Kit but he had heard enough to realise that she and Amanda did not get on.

“Yes, she came to see her Granddad, he was due back around eight, he had only gone for a quick pint,” Amanda confirmed, her sobs increasing.

“But she stayed for two and a half hours?” Jack asked, noting everything down.

“Yes I told you.”

“And what did you talk about?” Jack asked.

“Am I being questioned?” Amanda demanded, angrily, “I have just lost my husband and you’re questioning me?” Her outburst was followed by a fresh bout of sobs.

“They’re just routine questions Amanda,” Jack told her, “what did you talk about?”

“We argued mainly about me and Graham, me and Scott, me in general,” Amanda replied, “you know Graham’s whole family hates me. Oh Graham,” she sighed.

“Okay, thank you Amanda and I’m sorry again, is there anybody you want me to call?” he asked her.

“No, I hardly have friends queuing up around the block do I? What happens now?” she asked.

“Well I’ll continue to investigate and the coroner will examine Graham’s body for evidence and then release him for burial. You’ll hear from them in a few days but I’m sure I’ll be in touch before then,” Jack told her.

“Thank you Jack.” Amanda shut the door behind him and Jack was convinced he heard genuine sobs coming from the flat. As he walked away Jack Holden was left confused, either Amanda really was telling the truth or he had just witnessed an Oscar winning performance and the only way to find out would be to deliver the bad news to yet another member of Graham’s family.

The smart, sophisticated young woman who answered the door to the Hunters surprised Jack, all the descriptions he had heard of Kit had led him to expect her to be, well different.

“Kit Hunter?” Jack asked.

“Last time I checked,” she smiled, “sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Jack replied, “can I come in?”

“Sure.” Jack stepped into the house. “So would you like a drink officer?”

“Holden, Jack Holden. I’m actually your next door neighbour,” Jack explained.

“Yes I heard there was a cop living next door, in that case you definitely get a cup of tea.”

“I won’t say no to a cup of tea but I’m actually here on official business,” Jack explained.

“Official business huh?” she poured out the tea and handed him a cup.

“I think you should sit down,” he suggested.

“But what if I just put the sweeties back Officer?” she teased.

“Kit I’m serious, earlier tonight I was called to the scene of a hit and run and the victim was your Granddad Graham, I’m very sorry,” Jack explained.

“You’re kidding right?” Jack shook his head, “oh my God!” Kit’s face was horror struck but she did not weep and for some reason he had not expected her to. “Does Mum know?” Kit demanded.

“Yes I saw her earlier, I think my Dad might have taken her back to ours,” Jack explained.

“How did she take it?”

“Well she was upset obviously, she seemed to think that Amanda was behind it,” Jack replied.

“And was she?” Kit asked.

“Amanda says not, she says she was with you between half seven and ten and since we have a witness who can place your grandfather’s death at around nine it seems that Amanda is in the clear,” Jack explained.

“She said she was with me?” Kit demanded.

“Yes that you went round to hers, are you saying you weren’t?” Jack asked.

“No, I was here all night I didn’t go anywhere near Amanda’s place, why would I? it’s no secret I despise the woman,” Kit replied.

“So you didn’t go round to see your Grandfather or to pick a fight?” Jack asked.

“No.”

“Right thanks for that then Kit, is there anyone I can call for you, anything I can do?” Jack asked.

“No thanks,” Kit replied, “I presume ‘I’ll see you around?”

“Probably,” Jack let himself out and Kit shut the door behind him and leaned back against it. She inhaled deeply and let the tears fall, her granddad was dead and even though Amanda hadn’t killed him, in Kit’s head she was still responsible and she deserved to pay for it. So I’m not vindictive am I? Here’s to you Amanda Vale and with that Kit downed her cup of tea and for the first time in a long time, didn’t wish it were vodka.

CHAPTER EIGHT

“Hey,” Jack greeted Martha as she opened her eyes and stretched out in his arms, they were on the floor of Noah’s Bar with half the population of the town.

“Hey yourself, what time is it?”

“Just coming up to six, the sun’s not quite up yet,” he assured her.

“Did you not sleep at all?” Martha asked, noting the bags below his eyes and the blatant tiredness on his face.

“No, just couldn’t nod off, I kept thinking,” Jack admitted.

“About Graham?”

“Yeah and Amanda, honestly Martha I’d have put money on her reaction being genuine when I told her about Graham and I just don’t understand why she would give Kit Hunter as an alibi. I could understand if she’d said somebody who she would think would cover for her but Kit obviously hates her, I just don’t get it,” Jack confided.

“And Kit says she didn’t leave the house?” Martha asked.

“Yeah, weird huh?”

“Yeah but I know who I’d believe, Amanda has a knack of lying her way out of trouble, we all know she was an actress and she can convince people. I’ve not met Kit but I can’t imagine anybody related to Beth could lie,” Martha replied.

“I know that’s what I think as well. You’d like Kit you know from what little I saw of her she seemed stubborn and independent but also a lot of fun to be around,” Jack explained.

“Sounds like you fancy her,” Martha teased.

“No but she reminds me of someone I do fancy.” Gently he kissed her.

“So what now?” Martha asked.

“I guess I head down the Station and see what my Superior thinks, do me a favour though Martha and don’t mention any of this to Beth? Not until I know more,” Jack asked.

“Sure. Hey can you drop me at the Diner flat on your way? I wouldn’t mind a quick shower before the sun comes fully up and the search begins,” Martha asked.

“Course you can and Mac, he’ll be okay you know, they’ll find him,” Jack assured her.

“Hope so.” Martha let herself be kissed and then Jack helped her to her feet and together they left Noah’s.

The sun was almost piercing, it was so bright but it was the cold water washing over her, which bought a spluttering Belle awake. Drowsily she looked around her and saw nothing but sand and in the other direction the sea. She stood up gingerly and looked around her, the sea was perfectly peaceful and calm and it was a stunningly beautiful day but Belle could only feel complete horror as the events of the day before came rushing back to her. They had stolen Alf’s boat, her and Ric, it had sunk, the last thing she remembered she had been hugging Ric in the water, obviously she had been washed ashore but where was Ric? Frantically she called his name, desperately scanning both the sea and the beach for even the smallest sign of him but there was none. Exhausted and defeated she sank to the sand sobbing and promptly lost consciousness. It was in this way that Rachel, up the North end of the beach on one of her early morning runs, found her. Speeding up she raced to the lifeless figure and attempted resuscitation. It was a long and thankless process but eventually Belle’s cold, lifeless body spluttered to life and Rachel turned her on her side in order to help her breathe. When she was satisfied that Belle was stable, Rachel fished her mobile from her pocket and called for an ambulance. By now Belle was starting to come round and she was crying, sobbing and repeating the word “Ric” over and over again and something clicked in Rachel’s head but she did nothing until the ambulance arrived.

“You coming with us Doc?” the ambulance driver recognised her.

“No you go on, she’ll be fine now, I need to inform some people of her whereabouts. I think she’s the girl from the boat that they’ve been searching for,” Rachel explained.

“Right, see you later then.” Belle was loaded into the ambulance and Rachel began to run, faster than ever before, in the direction of Noah’s Bar.

“So Team A is covering here and Team B will be round about here now.” Pippa watched as Alf explained the intricacies of the rescue mission to Peter. It was just past dawn, the rescue mission had been called off overnight but most of the people involved had bedded down at Noah’s and had not long resumed the search. Irene, fresh from the hospital had taken over from a distraught Beth on handing out drinks and Pippa went over to help her.

“You look exhausted darl,” Irene remarked to Pippa.

“I am, I don’t think I’ve slept well in weeks, worrying about Sally, you know and now this,” Pippa explained.

“Kids hey? They drive you to distraction but you never stop worrying about them. Is Sally no different at all?” Irene asked, Pippa shook her head.

“To be honest I’m at the end of my tether Irene, I don’t know what to do, she won’t talk or communicate, she won’t even acknowledge anyone. The only person she seems to recognise is Ric but for some reason he evokes a look of loathing every time she claps eyes on him, it’s no wonder the poor kid’s rebelling,” Pippa explained.

“Yeah he had a tough time when he first came here and I’ll admit I thought he was a right young hool but he really turned things around. Sally and Flynn gave him the first real stability he ever knew and it must be pretty darn hard to lose it the way he did,” Irene remarked.

“I know. What do you make of this Belle girl, living out in the bush, we know nothing at all about her,” Pippa mused.

“I don’t know except that she’s caused a fair amount of mischief since she turned up here,” Irene replied.

“I can’t help thinking that we all should have done more to help her. The girl must have her reasons for living rough yet none of us bothered to find out, we were all so concerned with out own troubles,” Pippa said.

“They are pretty big troubles though Pippa, you can’t blame yourself, I know what yer mean though,” Irene replied, she handed Pippa a cup of coffee which was gratefully accepted but their attention was distracted by a breathless Rachel who burst into the Surf Club.

“Found, Belle,” she managed to say.

“Belle? You found her, where?” Peter demanded.

“In hospital. No I found her on the beach, she’s in hospital now.” Rachel gratefully accepted the bottle of water Beth passed to her.

“On the Beach, our beach? Whereabouts?” Alf demanded.

“North end, the other side of the rocks,” Rachel explained.

“God damn it! We’ve been looking in the wrong place all this time!” Alf returned to his maps and as he studied them his face fell.

“What is it?” Peter demanded.

“If the current put Belle up where she is Ric could be in more danger than we thought. There’s a huge rock formation just here both above and below the surface and it’s absolutely deadly, Belle’s one incredibly lucky Sheila,” Alf explained.

“So what are Ric’s chances?” an ashen faced Cassie demanded but the haunted expression on Alf’s face was all she needed to know and Cassie fled, sobbing from the building.

CHAPTER NINE

“I ask you again, why did you lie about your alibi?” Jack Holden shifted uncomfortably in his seat as his superior Officer asked the questions.

“And I’m telling you I didn’t!” Amanda demanded.

“Right, okay lets try something else. Why did you agree to a pre-nuptial agreement with Graham Walters?”

“Because his whole family thought I only married him for his money and I wanted to prove to them that I didn’t,” Amanda explained.

“Right, so who had the pre-nup drawn up, you or Graham?”

“I did, it was my idea,” Amanda replied.

“Really? So why if you were so keen on convincing Graham’s family did you ask your solicitor to draw up a three month agreement instead of a long term one?”

“I just thought three months would be enough to prove to them that I loved him,” Amanda replied but she was floundering and both she and the officers knew it.

“Really and do they believe you?”

“No, they still hate me, they still think I’m after his money,” Amanda admitted sulkily.

“And are you?”

“No! I love Graham, I really do!” Amanda protested.

“So him having money doesn’t bother you?” The Officer asked.

“I love him not his money,” Amanda argued.

“Right so how can you explain several big money withdrawals made from his account by you Mrs Amanda Walters?”

“I…Graham told me to take the money out, it was for him,” Amanda replied, quickly.

“Right, so it had nothing to do with the fact that you’re severely in debt?”

“No, no not at all.” This time Amanda’s reply was unconvincing.

“Right see I’m struggling to believe you here Mrs Walters, something just doesn’t add up. You have no money of your own, you’re badly in debt, you marry a man nearly three times your age who just happens to be a millionaire and since your marriage several big money withdrawals have gone from his account…”

“I already explained about that!” Amanda protested.

“You sign a pre-nuptial agreement but limit it to three months, your husband is killed in a hit and run yet you provide an alibi which doesn’t stand up,” the Officer continued.

“Kit’s lying, she’s got it in for me and anyway if you think I married Graham for his money why would I kill him if the pre-nuptial agreement meant I wouldn’t get any of his money?” Amanda demanded, a smirk appearing on her face.

“Hmm, that was a question I was asking myself so I had a Solicitor look through the pre-nuptial agreement and surprise, surprise the three months expired two days ago, the day before Mr Walters was killed.” Amanda’s face drained of colour.

“No I never knew, it can’t have…” Suddenly Amanda realised the enormity of just how deeply in trouble she was and a feeling of utter terror took her but there was nobody she could turn to. The police thought she was in league with Josh and she had no other friends, a solitary tear pricked Amanda’s eye and she honestly thought she had never felt more alone.

Kirsty Philips was sat up in her hospital bed feeding her baby son when Irene entered her room.

“Hey girlie, how are you?” Irene asked.

“I’m good thanks, dying to get out of this hospital bed though!” Kirsty replied and Irene smiled.

“I can imagine, how’s little Matthew?”

“Perfect, he’s so gorgeous and tiny and I love him so much,” Kirsty explained, “it’s like there’s a little bubble of happiness inside me just waiting to explode, things aren’t too good are they Irene?” Kirsty asked.

“Too good? There’s no such thing girlie,” Irene replied.

“I just can’t help thinking that I have no right to be this happy, that something’s going to happen to ruin things,” Kirsty explained.

“Stuff and nonsense, you and Kane have paid for your happiness twice over darl. Where is he anyway?” Irene asked.

“He went home to get me some things, I’m surprised he managed to tear himself away though, he’s besotted with Matt,” Kirsty replied, smiling.

“I’ll bet. These flowers are gorgeous, are they from him?” Irene asked.

“No weirdly enough they’re to him or at least the card that’s with them is addressed to him. I’m not sure who they’re from but they’re beautiful aren’t they?” Kirsty asked.

“Yeah they are, strange though, who’d send Kane flowers but not you?” Irene asked.

“I don’t know, I’m dying to open it but I’m waiting until he comes back, it might be a surprise or something and I don’t want to spoil it,” Kirsty explained.

“Yeah probably best,” Irene replied.

“Oh God I completely forgot to ask how the rescue’s going?” Kirsty asked suddenly.

“Well they found that Belle girl but Ric’s still missing, it doesn’t look too good though,” Irene admitted.

“He’s probably washed up somewhere like we were. I remember when Kane and I were missing from the Mirigani, it felt like days before we were discovered, especially with Mum being so sick,” Kirsty replied.

“Yeah me and Paris were stranded too, they were good memories,” Irene replied thoughtfully, Kirsty nodded, her mind far away in thought.

“Hey Irene, hello babe.” Kane entered the room and kissed his wife gently on the cheek.

“Hey babe,” Kirsty replied, smiling as he kissed their son.

“I was just talking to that Belle girl she said Ric’s still missing,” Kane remarked.

“Is she in here?” Irene asked.

“Just a couple of doors down, Room 212. She’s so scared though Irene, I felt sorry for her; I know what it’s like to have everyone hate you,” Kane replied.

“No-one hates her but she’s done some pretty silly things,” Irene replied.

“Same goes, I got the impression she’s really alone though. Couldn’t you talk to her Irene? She’s been living in a Caravan,” Kane explained.

“Gawd save us why do I feel like I’m being soft soaped all of a sudden? Alright I’ll go talk to her,” Irene consented, Kane smiled his gratitude at her as she exited the room.

“I hope I got everything you wanted, if not I can always go back,” Kane told his wife.

“Yeah sure, oh Babe those flowers came for you while you were out,” Kirsty told him.

“Flowers, for me?” Kane was surprised.

“Yeah the card’s addressed to you, open it babe I’m dying to know who they’re from, they’re gorgeous,” Kirsty urged. Silently Kane retrieved the card and opened it but as he read his face drained of colour and his smile faded.

“Babe, who’s it from?” a worried Kirsty demanded but she received no reply from the dumbstruck Kane.

“A cup of tea and a chocolate muffin, that’s what you need.” Pippa guided Cassie into the Caravan Park House and seated her at the table before heading the Kitchen to put the kettle on.

“I should be at the Surf Club, what if something happens?” Cassie demanded.

“Then Alf will phone, you need a break Cassie,” Pippa soothed, putting a cup of tea in front of her.

“I guess, I know me and Ric aren’t together and we haven’t been getting on so well but I still care for him you know and I hate not knowing where he is or if he’s…” she was unable to finish.

“He’ll be fine, there’s plenty of people looking for him,” Pippa replied, she looked up as Sally entered the room. “Would you like a cup of tea Sal?” There was no answer s Sally settled herself on the couch, tucking her knees up to her chest.

“Pippa asked you a question Sally, don’t you care?” Cassie was on her feet and in a confusion of anger and hurt, her emotions were getting the better of her.

“Cassie,” Pippa warned.

“No Pip it’s not fair. We’ve all lost Flynn, we’re all grieving but she keeps pushing us away, she doesn’t care about us at all!” Cassie cried.

“That’s not true,” Pippa soothed.

“Yes it is! Ric’s been missing nearly two days, he could be lying injured or even…” Cassie was unable to finish her sentence.

“He’s not dead,” Pippa comforted.

“How do you know? You don’t do you? And you...” she turned angrily to Sally, “you don’t even care! You haven’t said a word about him being missing and when he was here you looked at him like you hated him, you treated him like you hated him. It’s no wonder he ran away. It’s all your fault do you hear? All your fault and if something happens to him, I’ll never forgive you and I don’t think Flynn would either!” Bursting into angry, uncontrollable sobs Cassie fled the room, leaving Pippa bewildered. She looked at her beloved foster daughter who seemed unmoved by everything Cassie had said.

“If you don’t snap out of this soon Sal you’re going to lose all of them,” Pippa warned her before heading upstairs after Cassie.

Archived