Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Mac knocked at the Hunter house for some reason she was both nervous and excited. What had Mattie come up with? Would it help?! Oh well, it sure as heck couldn’t hurt. Suddenly Beth was there to answer the door:

“Mac, hi! Come on in. How are you doing?” she asked, a hint of friendly concern in her voice.

“Curious to be honest.” Mac sighed, smiling.

“Tony & I owe you a vote of thanks actually; Mattie is usually pretty good at homework but I must admit even I have never seen her this keen! And it seems to be rubbing off on Luc to! Make yourself comfortable; help yourself to coffee and muffins. (I made them specially, thought you could take some for Jack & Corey later). I’ll go get the kids, they said they could spread out more on the deck.”

With that she rushed out to the garden, leaving Mac if possible even more confused.

Someone who was far from confused however was Ric. He was headed for the Diner to get some milk for Sal, when he happed to see Morag’s car as she headed back into town. Seeing red, he ran across & held the car door shut just as she was parked against the side wall and getting out:

“Who the HELL do you think you are?!” he yelled.

Just for a second Morag looked stunned, but then realisation set in:

“Someone who wants what’s best for her family. Now let me out Eric.” She said calmly.

Despite the baiting of using the name he loathed, Ric would not allow himself to be derailed:

“No, you’re going to hear this whether you like it or not! You’re not even a judge anymore and yet you sit as judge and jury on your own flesh and blood! Why?! What the HELL lets you think you’ve got that right?! You didn’t even know us for most of our lives!” he yelled.

All this time Morag had been sitting impassively in the driver’s seat, looking straight ahead. Only when it was clear that Ric had said his say did she speak.:

“I’m doing what’s best for Martha.” She said calmly.

“Beep, wrong answer Judge, none of us gets to decide that; that’s Mac’s choice. What’s this REAL reason, why put her through this?! If she marries the son of the right lawyer you get the bench back, is that it?!” Ric demanded.

For the first time Justice Bellingham looked rattled. Now why the HELL hadn’t she thought of that?! She kept her voice calm however as she answered:

“That’s ridiculous! All I’m doing is trying to give Martha a suitable, stable future; make her a good wife for the proper man. Why can't anyone see that?!”

“That’s Bull and we both know it!” Ric stormed. “This is some sort of sick ‘power trip’ for you. Well get your ‘kicks’ somewhere else Judge, because your ‘match-making business’ is bankrupt already!”

A smug smile crossed Morag’s stony face:

“Interest word ‘bankrupt’, isn’t it? Now if you’ve quite finished throwing a toddler’s tantrum, I have a client to prepare for. Excuse me.”

She forced the door and Ric stumbled backwards, letting go of the door handle but staying on his feet, just.

It didn’t stop him getting the last word in though:

“You won't win this!” He called to her retreating back.

Morag didn’t reply but quickened her pace towards the Diner. Beside himself & shaking with fury, Ric turned on his heel and marched off to the Surf Club gym to find a suitably Morag-shaped punch-bag!

Morag shaped punchbag....love it. If they did punchbags for people who caused me hassle I'd never be out of the gym! Actually I doubt most people on home and away would be either. Another good chapter, this keeps getting better.

(This snippet goes out to HayleyCA as a thank you for my way too fab avatar. You rock! :D)

“Hi Mac, ok?” Lucas greeted his friend with a broad grin. “Oh yeah, before I forget, Dad said to tell you ‘your labouring team has gone up by one whilst school’s off, call him with directions to the Simpson place and he’ll meet you and Jack there.”

“Hi Luc, thanks will do; now what’s this idea Mattie? We need all the breaks we can get.”

Beth couldn’t help a secret smile to herself as she noticed Mac had quickly slipped into Jack’s habit of calling it ‘their’ problem. By now though Mattie was speaking:

“Well we were thinking, if you don’t mind, Luc and I could base our design project on your business; you know submit posters and flyers and then you could use them as free advertising. What do you say?!”

For the first time in what seemed like forever (when Jack wasn’t around), Martha’s heart lifted:

“I say great idea, yes please and thank you!” she beamed.

“Good, because we’ve already got a few ideas…” with that Matilda launched into the detailed explanation.

Beth left the three of them to it and bagged up the next batch of muffins all the while racking her brains for how she could do her bit.

Archived