Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

The next morning, Morag returned to the flat to find a note from her brother on the kitchen table:

‘Morag,

Helping Mac with suppliers, then fishing, then shift at ‘Noah’s’. Mac working. Diner leftovers for supper.

Alf.’

The tone was clear enough; so her older brother was mad with her, was he? Well so be it; she was all too used to people being mad with her for doing the right thing; it was, after all, how she’d spent the vast majority of her working life! They would see soon enough that she was right. It wasn’t after all as though she’d denied Martha her time in the business world; she’d financed it for pity’s sake! Surely Martha didn’t think she could really go around acting like a boy forever?! What about marriage, children, social standing – she MUST see that a girl of her breeding needed those more?! It was SUCH a pity that Brett Macklin had been such a ham-fisted moron about getting to know his daughter. It could have saved all this fuss and Martha could have been happy already!

Still, who knew WHOM Macklin would have found?! At least Morag was SURE that Robert Harrison was suitable. Such a nice boy! Polite, well-spoken, sensitive and already articled to lawyer in the City; what more could an aunt do for her niece? Martha WOULD see sense soon; how could she not? Sighing, Morag showered, changed and made her way to the City. First stop, making enquiries at the Finishing School, second stop Cooper & Sons Law Firm to check in with Robert’s father and see how that side of things was going.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Oh come on now Stan! You know as well as I do you’ll be getting at LEAST 3 more BIG orders out of the Simpson place and $700 is the BEST you can do? Pull the other one!” Alf said forcefully

The owner of the hardware depot sighed in an overly dramatic fashion: “$620, final offer.”

“$600 and first refusal on all orders.” Mac bargained with a grin. She was actually starting to enjoy this!

“Done, but you drive a hard bargain, despite that pretty smile.” Stan grumbled.

“Thanks.” Mac smiled brightly, putting her money down on the counter.

Alf stood back, making a particular point of letting Mac do the actual deal & watching on proudly. Martha had more pep to her than either she or Morag suspected; he could see that now and it eased the heaviness around his heart eased, just a little.

By now though Stan was speaking again: “Do you want this lot delivered then Martha?” he asked.

Mac shook her head: “No, thanks; we’ll take the tools now and two of my friends will be over this afternoon to pick up the rest, ok?”

“Ok. Bye Alf.”

“Stan.” Alf said, shaking the other man’s hand.

“Bye.” Mac called as she left the store.

“Granddad,…” she asked as they approached the van, “…would you mind driving? I need to call Jack, get him and Corey to pick the stuff later.”

“No worries.”

Alf grinned as he started the truck. He noticed that his granddaughter had reached for that new phone which had suddenly appeared on her belt. That didn’t take a genius. Mr. Stewart must buy Jack a beer next time the young Constable came into ‘Noah’s’ off duty.

By now Mac’s call had been answered:

“Hey.”

“Yeah fine. Listen, can you get Corey to show where the depot is & pick up our order after your shift please?”

“Ok. Thanks. Why? Oh ok, I’ll get Granddad to drop me off at Beth’s. See you later; take care, bye.”

“Jack ok?” Alf asked as she put her phone away.

“Fine, but apparently, Luc and Mattie have an idea which might help. Can you drop me off there?”

“No problem. Listen, I meant to say, any lunches or drinks you need while you’re at the Simpson place, however many, are on me; least I can do. Morag can't stop me feeding you, can she?”

Mac smiled & pecked Alf on the cheek.

“Get on with you!” Alf blushed. “Just you tell Irene and Leah I said so. Here you are.”

They’d just pulled up outside the Hunter House. Mac hopped out:

“Thanks for everything Granddad.” She grinned.

“Don’t mention it love.” He smiled as he drove away.

Archived