Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

(Be gentle with me; I'm nervous about this bit!)

“Which colours do we think we ought to use?” Mattie asked as she and Lucus spread a large piece of paper on the table.

“Not sure, but I don’t think Mac would thank us for using pink!” Luc grinned.

“You’ve got that right!” Tony laughed over his shoulder.

“How about red & yellow?” Mattie suggested. “By the way, what is the business called; anyone know?”

“It’s not ‘Mackenzie Sparks’, is it? Luc asked uncertain.

“No; that sounds like a really dodgy law firm.” Tony chuckled., thinking that this was the very LAST thing Mac would want to hear. “I think she told Jack it was ‘Mackenzie Maintenance’; you can always ask though.”

“I’ll check tomorrow. Pass me the ruler please Luc?”

Heading for home feeling thoroughly spoilt and somewhat more secure, Mac had insisted on driving letting Jack take his turn to rest. Jack however was still too keyed up to dose. Somehow his mind always seemed sharper when he was with Mac; she was not only constant support but also a challenge; a beautiful challenge. Jack gasped. Where in HECK had THAT thought come from?! Oh, he knew Mac was pretty, anyone with eyes could see that, but when had beautiful tied itself to Mac’s name in his head?! Shaken to the core, Jack took the deepest breath he could manage and tried to slow his now hammering heart.

“You ok?” Mac asked, hearing the gasp and praying that as it sometimes did, exhaustion hadn’t triggered a flashback.

“Yeah, I’m great. Just tired.” He said, careful to be truthful.

“Almost home.” She smiled. “You on early again tomorrow?!”

Jack nodded, disconcerted by what Mac’s voice seemed to be doing to his insides: “One more shift & then you have my help, such as it is, for three days.” He grinned.

“Thanks; I’ll show you the figures if you come down to the Simpson place after work. Sounds like tomorrow should be my supply shopping day then. Hopefully Granddad might come with me; help me do a couple of deals. Sometimes they think they can play me because I’m a woman. I wouldn’t usually ask but…”

Mac sighed heavily as they passed the ‘Welcome to Summer Bay’ sign once more.

“Hey Mac, take any help we can get. I can guarantee you he’ll want to do what he can to help. You said he was beyond furious with the Judge. No point making life tougher than we have to.” Jack encouraged.

“I know Jack honestly.” Martha said.

“But...?” Jack could here the doubt coming.

“Well, even over everything she IS Granddad’s sister. This is hard on him to.” She said as she pulled up outside Jack’s place.

Now that the car was parked, Jack took both of Martha’s hands in his:

“Martha, you can't give in to the feeling of guilt over something you had no control over; take it from someone who knows.”

Mac felt like she’d been stabbed in the heart by the pain she saw in Jack’s eyes. She blinked away tears as she ran a hand through her hair & asked:

“Just a guess here, but am I the only one who wants a hug?”

“Ok Mac, you got me.” Jack grinned.

Martha smiled as she delivered the embrace that she as yet had no idea Jack was now addicted to. Jack replied by kissing her on the top of her head.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack let himself into the house was alarmed to be greeted by Luc and Mattie. He felt too vulnerable to talk much just yet. His head was too spun out ; how the HECK could he suddenly be IN LOVE with his best friend?! It was just crazy!

He had to shake himself back to reality as Mattie spoke to him:

“Jack, hi. Alright?”

“Hey Mattie, ok?” he said wearily.

“Good thanks…”

She’d been about to launch into an explanation when she caught the look on Luc’s face out of the corner of her eye. His eyes said ‘not now’.

“…But it’s 10:25pm; time I wasn’t here. We’ve got some stuff to show Mac tomorrow though.”

“You want me to walk with you now it’s dark?” Luc offered, ever the Holden gentleman.

“No, it’s only next door but I’ll flicker the porch light if you want. See you both tomorrow. Bye.”

“Bye.” Luc said.

Jack managed a distant smile as he put away his gun. Mattie went home puzzled.

Luc went to the window to watch for the porch light, with a heavy heart. He knew the look in his brother’s eyes; he’d be surprised if there weren’t nightmares or even a bout of sleepwalking and there hadn’t been one of those since the night of the town meeting. What had happened? Would they get to hear? If they didn’t would Mac? There was the light; Mattie was fine. He sighed as his Dad appeared from his bedroom. Tony took one look at his sons, went to the fridge and threw them BOTH a stubby; it wasn’t a school night and it would only be the one.

“How was your day?” he asked Jack.

“Long.” Came the carefully truthful answer.

“How’s Mac?”

“Stressed.” Another careful truth.

Tony sighed inwardly. He’d be leaving his bedroom door ajar again. Luc would to going by the look on his face. Tony wished he could tell Luc not to fret so much, but he knew it would do no good; the boys adored each other and Jack’s pain hurt Luc just as it did Tony himself. By now Jack had put the new mobile phone (the arrival of which had passed without needlessly obvious comment), thrown himself down on the sofa despondently. Luc had taken the project work into his room before clinking stubbies and joining Jack in watching the sports news. It was all they could do & they all knew it..

Archived