Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?! Granddad please, tell me you’re joking! I mean, this is just ludicrous! Sure, I know Auntie Morag can be tough (anyone in the Bay will tell you that!), selfish even, but I never thought she’d be so hard-hearted; not to us; not to Mac! Just what in God’s name is WRONG with Martha being single, or for that matter being an electrician, anyway?!”

Just as Martha had known he would be her cousin was steaming.

Alf stood in the living-room that many, many moons ago had been his and shook his head sadly:

“I don’t know Ric, I just don’t know! I’ll admit I had my doubts about the business at first, but Mac’s made a go of it; she’s the best ‘Spark’ I know. As for this marrying business…”

Ric cut across him:

“Oh don’t you worry Granddad; whatever about the business, they’ll be no ‘arranged marriage’. I can guarantee you that!”

Ric knew without a shadow of a doubt that there’d be no wedding (at least not to anyone else), whilst Jack Holden had breath and a pulse.

“I’d like to think so Ric, I really would, but you two don’t know Morag like I do.”

At this point Flynn came down the stairs:

“Hey, what’s going on; Ric, is everything alright? What’s all the yelling for?!”

Ric turned to his foster-father:

“Sorry Flynn mate, it’s just that ‘The Judge’ has REALLY out-classed herself this time.”

Flynn sighed heavily. Whenever Ric called Morag ‘The Judge’ like that there was a whole heap of trouble brewing.

Ric was already on his way out the door:

“Granddad will fill you in. I’ve got to go!”

“Ric wait!”

But he was already gone.

Alf sighed.

“Flynn, this time Ric’s right; someone has to call Morag on this and Mac and I can't. It’s family business.”

“Ok, but in all fairness, Ric’s a part of this family too and I need to know what I’m facing when he gets back. Here.”

He tossed Alf a cold can of beer from the fridge.

Alf caught it & sat down with a sigh:

“Thanks; boy do I need this!”

“You’re welcome, but what in heck is going on?!”

Flynn sat down with the sinking feeling that he was in for the long haul here.

Not wanting to tempt fate Jack waited until a minute past the end of his shift and bolted for the locker room. Corey bit his lip to hide a smile; could Jack’s feelings be more obvious if he tried? To everyone EXCEPT Jack himself and Mac of course. Not wanting to go too far again Constable Henderson made a point of staring out of the locker-room window as he tied his shoe. That was how come he was the first to notice:

“Hey mate, get a wriggle on, Mac’s downstairs.”

Jack turned to his partner, his eyes unwittingly alive and all trace of any exhaustion gone: “Hey Corey, thanks, for today.” He said grabbing his trademark jacket & heading out the door and down the stairs three at a time.

“Any time partner, but next time the teas are on you!” Corey called after him.

Jack acknowledged his best friends words with a wave & was gone. A couple of seconds later a bemused and slightly breathless Sergeant appeared around the corner:

“Henderson, you’re Holden’s partner; he just flew past me like he had a rocket launcher strapped to his back; darn near bowled me over. Anything I need to know about?”

“No Sarg, Jack’s fine.” ‘Now.’ Corey added privately. “See you tomorrow Sarg.”

Archived