Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mattie helped her mother clear the dining-room table and having done her chore, she left the washing-up to her brothers and settled down to her remaining homework. She always liked to leave herself as long as she could ‘free’ before going back to school after the holiday, so much to her mother’s pleasure, she was quite disciplined about doing a little each day.

This particular night, she’d just finished her math problems & checked them off in her homework diary when looking down at her next project gave her a great idea:

“Mum, can I go next door & see Luc please? We’ve got a design project to work on.” She asked.

Beth looked up surprised:

“Sure you can, but remember the rules; back here by 10:30pm & if Jack’s asleep, you move over here, ok?”

“No problem, thanks.” Her daughter smiled, put her book bag on her shoulder and disappeared.

“So Mac, just how much money DO you owe Morag?” Jack asked as gently as he could over dinner.

“Too much; far too darn much! I can even let myself think about actual numbers, not yet.” Mac sighed heavily.

“Ok, but the Simpson place will help though, right?” Jack said, trying to find a positive.

“Yeah, some; but it would help a lot more if I could clone myself half a dozen times!”

Martha ran her hand distractedly through her long dark hair.

“Well, if it helps; I’m only a call away 24/7 now and you’ve got a free labourer whenever I’m off duty. Corey said he’d help out to.”

Jack offered with an attempt at a smile. God, it tore at him to see Mac suffer like this!

“Thanks Jack, that will help out; whatever would I do without you?” Mac smiled.

Jack reached across the table and took her hand:

“You won't be finding out any time soon Mac; that’s a promise.” He said sincerely.

There was silence for a beat and then Martha said:

“You ready to do a little window-shopping? I can't go back, not yet.”

“Sure, whatever.”

With that Jack called for the bill.

Mattie ran up the Holden’s front path bubbling with excitement. If this worked… She rapped eagerly on the door-frame with ‘her’ knock’ and then felt a stab of guilt, remembering her Mum’s warning about Jack.

Her worries were eased however when Tony called:

“Come on in Mattie, it’s open!”

“Hi Tony.” Mattie greeted her mother’s reasonably new companion with a wide smile.

“Hi kid; alright, how’s your Mum?”

“She’s fine. Is Luc around, please?” Mattie asked.

“He’s in the bathroom just now, but you’re welcome to wait if you like – unless I can help?” he offered with a grin. “Want some juice? I’m having some.”

“Yes, please. As for whether you can help, the answer is I’m not sure.”

She took the drink Tony handed her with a smile.

“Ric told me what the Judge is doing to Mac; I know the Judge is an adult & I wouldn’t normally say this, but is it just me or does what she’s doing REALLY stink?”

“Stinks to high heaven; without doubt!” Tony agreed. “I’ve NEVER seen Jack so angry!” he sighed.

“Ric’s spitting bullets to. I REALLY don’t want to be around when he finally catches up with her!”

At this point Luc emerged dressed in T-shirt and shorts, rubbing his blond hair with a towel: “The Judge, right?” he frowned.

“How’d you guess?” Mattie groaned.

She would never have admitted this to anyone, except perhaps Cassie, but as usual her heart had begun to beat a little faster at the sight of Lucas. She tried however to keep calm as she said:

“That’s why I’m here actually.”

“How do you mean Mattie?” Tony asked puzzled, gesturing for her to take a seat.

“Luc, what would you say if I said there COULD be a way to get an A+ in our pairs graphic design project AND help Mac out at the same time if she wants?”

“I’d say school might just come in useful for once!”

Archived