Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ric arrived home to find Sally feeding Little Pippa at the kitchen table and Cassie watching TV. All three of them looked around as he walked in:

“Hey. Sal is it ok if I use the PC? I said I’d run off some posters for Mackenzie’s for Mac.” He said.

“Sure.” Sally agreed. “You’ve seen her; how is she?”

“Determined. She won't give in. I’ve said I’ll do all I can.” Ric answered.

“We all will. Have you seen your Granddad; how’s he going?” Sally asked.

Only now did Ric realise that he hadn’t seen his Granddad since the previous day. Cassie realised it to and stepped in before Ric could become uncomfortable:

“Tell you what Ric, why don’t you run those off and then we can take some down to ‘Noah’s’ to show him?” she suggested.

Sally smiled at her foster-daughter. She knew that Cassie had deliberately suggested ‘Noah’s’ in order to keep Ric calm. Little Pippa seemed to approve to for she smiled at the teenage girl and put her arms up for a hug. By now the baby had finished her lunch so Sally cleaned her up, took her out of her high-chair and gave her to Cassie. Knowing that the little one had a particular fondness for being carried on her hip, Cassie stood up and crossed the room, leaning on the dresser to take some of Pippa’s weight and watch Ric work. She picked up one of the pieces of paper:

“These are great, did Mac do them?” she asked.

“I doubt it; she’s said before she can’t draw a straight line; my money’s on Luc.” He said, warming up the scanner.

“Sounds like it’s time I pitched in; I’ll get thinking.” Cassie said thoughtfully, picking up a calculator to give Pippa some buttons to press to.

“You’ll think of something Cass.” Sally smiled confidently.

More of a snippet this time

Mac arrived at the Simpson house to find Tony Holden already parked up outside. He was alone, but Mac just rightly assumed that Jack and Corey were just not back from the suppliers yet. Tony greeted her with the trademark Holden grin:

“Martha hi! How are you doing?” he asked.

“Better.” Martha sighed. “Ric’s given Morag a roasting and Luc and Mattie have done some flyers and stuff.”

“Sounds like a start.” Tony replied, making a mental note to praise his youngest son later. “Now, anything I can start on before Jack arrives?”

Mac rolled her eyes:

“There’s so much rubbish to clear I have NO idea where to start!” she sighed. “The agent says he wanted the place cleared out completely though, & that I could take or recycle anything salvageable.”

“That’s a start.” Tony replied clinging onto a bright side however small. “What do you say we start on the hallway? We can't work on the rest of the place if get around.”

“Ok, let’s get cracking!” Martha grinned, clearly delighted to be doing something physical about her troubles at last.

Meanwhile, Jack & Corey had arrived at the suppliers and had loaded everything they could into the back and trunk of Jack’s car:

“Phew! Give me a badge and a gun any day!” slamming the lid shut on a trunk that was now bulging with bags of plaster. As he looked up he caught the far-away expression on Jack’s face: “Sorry mate.” He sighed.

“It’s ok…” Jack tried to smile. “…I can't expect everyone to walk on eggshells forever. I’ll bring Mac’s truck back for the rest.” He said.

Corey looked up, surprised: “There’s only 1 or 2 bits left, a second run in the car would do it.”

“Yeah but if I do that I can't fill up the truck on the way back, genius!”

Corey grinned sheepishly” Yeah, right, good point.” He blushed.

Jack chuckled: “Just for that you’re driving.”

“You’re joking, poor Martha! Oh, I know we’re grateful to Morag for what she did for little Olivia and we’re not the only ones she’s helped round here, but that’s still no excuse to go around selling people off!”

Irene was leaning on the Diner counter in total shock as Kim filled her in.

“Yeah,…” Leah agreed sadly. “Coming FAR too close to that was how I ended up in the Bay in the first place and I wouldn’t wish that pressure on my worst enemy, much less a friend like Mac.. What’s she…”

Leah’s voice faded out. And Kim turned around to find himself face to face with Morag Bellingham.

Jack went straight over to Martha and not caring a snit that she was by now covered in dust, put his arms around her.

“Hey.” He said gently.

“Hey.” She replied, subconsciously nestling into the hug. “You got the stuff?”

“Almost, I’ll need to take the truck back for a few last bits but I’ll stay here awhile first. We need to talk numbers, get that over with..”

Wordlessly Tony and Corey set to wok side by side and left Jack his accustomed place beside Mac. They all worked silently for a while then Corey spoke up:

“I have a little radio I can bring tomorrow help keep us going.”

“Good idea. How about we bring a few chairs and stuff to? We’ll need somewhere to sit while we eat.” Jack added.

“That table we moved earlier might scrub up ok to.” Tony suggested.

“Yeah, it seemed sound.” Mac agreed.

A few minutes more of talk like that seemed to lighten the mood a good deal and then Mac’s ‘rest of the phone’ went.

“What can I get you Morag?” Irene asked, trying to sound professional.

“A take-away coffee and a cranberry muffin please?” The Judge answered.

“That’ll be $2:50.” Leah said coldly, getting a muffin from the basket and clearly busying herself lest she said something regrettable.

Kim had been watching all of this deep in thought. If indeed Morag had noticed the distinct drop in the Diner’s temperature she was giving no reaction. She clearly had her poker/courtroom face on. Kim decided to take a chance.

“Morag, I was wondering, I know you’re busy but is there any way you could spare me an afternoon’s work to help me sort out my CV out. I DID get some experience out of the whole Macklin debacle; I just need to pick the true good bits out of the whole thing.”

Irene looked shocked and thunderous but caught her erstwhile step-son’s eye and shut her mouth.

“Yes Kim, I think I can do that; how about I check my diary and let you know when I have a space?”

“Fine, thanks Morag.”

“I’ll be in touch.” She said taking her snack and leaving.

Morag was barely out the door when Irene launched into Kim:

“What the BLAZES was that all about?!” she demanded.

Kim grinned:

“For one thing it’s true and for the other, if she’s with me she’s off Martha’s back, right?

Irene sighed:

“Alright love, but I sure hope you know what you’re doing!”

“Thanks Leah. I’ll be over at 7, bye.” Mac hung up looking puzzled. “Leah just invited me to dinner; says we have something new in common.” She said.

“What’s that?” Jack asked lost.

“I’ll tell you when I know. You want to help me move this wood?” she asked keen to get on.

“We’ll do that.” Corey offered. “You and Jack can clear that mess on the path, make it safe.”

It was true, but it was also a way of getting Martha around to talking. They all knew it. Martha’s eyes filled with tears but she took Jack’s proffered hand and followed him outside.

Archived