Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

About an hour or so later driving back to the suppliers, the seed of an idea forming in Jack’s mind. Could it be done? If it could, would Mac go for it? It would need some thinking through before he could suggest it to her. He’d toss it around with his Dad and Luc tonight. Meanwhile, he picked up the remainder of Mac’s order and stopped off to fill up on the way back.

Tony watched Mac carefully out of the corner of his eye as they worked; wondering how he might do more to help. He couldn’t help but wish that all the moves over the last couple of years hadn’t been so expensive. Things were GETTING better with a few months of roots, but however much he might want to, he still wasn’t going to be writing four-figure cheques any time soon. Though she had tried to hide them, the tear stains on Mac’s face were had been too visible and Jack’s over-bright eyes had torn at Tony’s heart. Was it time to use the pact and call Jack on his feelings? No, not yet, not quite yet; they had enough to deal with for now.

Suddenly Tony was snapped out of his revere by Martha’s voice:

“Here Tony, catch!”

He turned around and caught the bottle of water she threw to him: “Thanks.” He grinned.

Corey caught his to: “That’s the hallway clear. Where do want the ‘keep’ stuff put for now?” he asked.

Mac thought for a second: “How about out by the side gate under that tarp for now?”

“Yes boss!”

“I see you’ve got the idea!” The returning Jack laughed as he slapped his partner on the shoulder.

They all laughed.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After having been persuaded by Tony to stop working at five for fear of exhausting themselves, they all headed home. Corey joined the boys for dinner, while Martha went back to the flat and jumped gratefully into the shower. If she was honest, she didn’t really have the energy for being sociable, but she knew Jack was all too right about favours. So she reluctantly pulled on jeans and a sweater, rang her Granddad to fill him in and headed for Leah’s place.

Corey was barely out the Holden’s front door when Lucas asked:

“So, just how much is it Jack?”

“$40,000 all in; almost $2500 a week.” Jack sighed.

“Oh my God!” Lucas’ voice shook.

Tony put his hand on his youngest son’s shoulder as moral support. He moved the conversation on before either of the boys could be panicked too much by the actual numbers:

“Ok, that’s the ‘game’; the question is how does Mac want to ‘play’ it?” he asked.

“Honestly? Mac’s still in shock;” Jack sighed “I not sure she can take it in yet; she’ll have to tomorrow though or Morag starts gaining the upper hand.”

“Well Mattie and I did some posters and flyers for ‘Mackenzie’s; Ric’s running them off now. Ric, Cassie, Mattie and I will distribute them as soon as Mac gives us the word.” Luc explained.

“Thanks mate. We’re going to need all the help and good luck we can get.!” Jack tried to smile. “Actually I do have one idea…” he went on to explain.

As soon as Mac saw Leah’s face at the back door of the Baker house she knew that Leah knew. It was horribly humiliating, but Jack was right; it was a HELL of a lot better than… she shivered, unable to finish the thought.

“Mac, hi! Come in!” Leah smiled

“Leah, hi; thanks for this. Hope this will go with the food.” She handed over the bottle of wine she’d grabbed from ‘Noah’s’ on the way over.

“This will go great thanks!” Leah enthused. “Listen, I know you were surprised earlier, but well, let’s just say, I’ve been where you are now.”

Archived