Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

Well, I'm not critising anyone's work or ideas (inc. actual episodes) but I wanted to do something that was more than JUST the two of them INSTANTLY all over each other. I wanted to give them time & options. I hope that makes some kind of sense to people.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Letting herself in to the diner flat, Martha sighed with relief to find only her Granddad watching TV.

He turned at the sound & smiled: “Alright Mac love? Morag stayed out after all.” He said pre-empting the question.

Mac sighed as she set her new phone up to charge: “Mind if I’m relieved?” she asked, she asked.

“No, I am to, if I’m honest. Want a tea?”

“Yeah, that’d be good thanks. Why do you think Auntie Morag’s doing this to me Granddad?!” Mac sighed.

Alf thought carefully for several minutes before he replied:

“Honestly Martha, I think there are two answers to that. One is she’s GENUINELY convinced herself she’s doing thing the best thing for you; no, let me finish; she loves you & she wants you to be happy, BUT she sees happiness in HER terms not YOURS; a happy, stable marriage was something she denied herself for a career. My guess is she is afraid you’ll do the same thing.”

“But I’m 19 Granddad! Far too young to be planning for a wedding; besides…” Mac’s voice faded out.

“I know Martha love, but that’s where the other reason comes in. My guess is Morag doesn’t even know it herself, but you’re her last chance to be a ‘mother’.”

“But I’ve already got two mothers, that’s more than most people manage; I don’t need a third.” Mac cried.

“I KNOW love, but have you ever thought that Morag might NEED a daughter? She and your Aunt Bobby loathed each other, then Bobby died; Morag and your Mum got along (& still do), but I was ‘in the way’ and you are ‘available’.”

“But Granddad, I’m her NIECE and her Great-Niece at that and that’s all I ever CAN be!”

“Mac, I’m NOT saying Morag’s right, or even being rational; I’m just giving you a possible reason.” Alf sighed.

By now Martha had tears in her eyes: “Are you saying Auntie Morag’s ill Granddad?!” she cried.

“I don’t know love.” He said hugging his granddaughter. “All I do know is, even if she is, you can't let it rule YOUR life!”

They sat there for a while, like that, hoping to calm each other even just a little. Martha would never know how long it was before she raised her head from his shoulder:

“Granddad, can you come to the supplier’s with me tomorrow? I have to get as many deals as I can if the buy-out’s ever going to be an option.”

“We’ll go first thing.” Alf agreed. “Make your list up, but I won't be able to help much with the loading and such.”

For the first time since she got home, Mac smiled:

“That’s ok Granddad, what else are Corey and Jack for?”

Alf chuckled, sighed and convinced Mac to get some sleep.

Tony Holden sat up with Jack for as long as he could (having sent Luc to bed an hour and a half or so before), but reluctantly headed for bed himself. Unusually Jack had said very little except to insist that work had been long and slow, but he just wasn’t ready to share whatever it was that was eating at him, not yet. Maybe he was finding being strong for Mac draining, even more so than he himself knew. Tony let it be for now and went to lie down while he could.

Jack sighed with relief when his Dad turned in for the night. He felt awful letting his father and brother worry as they so clearly were, but how could he do any more than say it wasn’t about work when he still didn’t understand it himself?! Clearly Mac had looked the way she did for as long as he’d known her; so what had changed so much, so fast?! She was still his feisty, funny, caring, gutsy best mate, but now all of a sudden an image of her vibrant smile had lodged itself in his head and wouldn’t let him go. What was different? Was he afraid of losing her if Morag’s evil scheme worked? Yes there was that, but that wasn’t being in love, that was a fear of change. So what was it?! Head spinning, he went to at least lie down; he still had a long day tomorrow whatever.

It was as he walked into his room and saw the ‘evidence’ stones scattered along the windowsill, he realised. It was HOLDING Martha that had done it. Oh sure, he’d hugged Mac before, comforted her, congratulated her, even kissed her on the cheek, but he’d never HELD to him like he had started to on the beach. He’d never held her to him because THEY needed it. He’d never held her simply because he didn’t want to let go. He got ready for bed, picked up the newest piece of ‘evidence’ and slept through with his hand closed over it.

Archived