Angels Don't JUST Live in Heaven

Guest AngelRose

Mac felt herself go weak with relief as Jack came bounding down the station steps. Jack was by her side and the world was standing the right way up once more. She closed her eyes and rested her head back against the car seat.

Jack saw this and tried his best to hide the concern in his voice:

“Mac, you scoot over and get some sleep; I’ll drive.”

Martha moved over, too exhausted to argue. She did however look gratefully up at Jack:

“Worried I’ll get another speeding ticket, Officer?” she smiled sleepily.

Jack chuckled gently. They were both remembering one of their very earliest encounters.

“Well, you don’t need any more points on your licence.” Jack chided gently, tucking his jacket over her. “Now shh, rest. I’ll wake you when we get there.”

Mac yawned and almost subconsciously snuggled under the familiar safety of the soft, well-worn leather. Almost before Jack had turned the key in the ignition she was fast asleep.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matilda Hunter was taking a short-cut home along the beach when she saw the outline of a familiar and clearly unhappy figure a little way ahead. Whilst still out of her friend’s hearing, she rang her mother Beth to let her know she was fine but might be home later than expected, before walking up and sitting next to her friend.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

Matilda waited a minute or two and when it was clear that nothing was going to be freely volunteered she spoke up:

“Ok, are you going to make us both sit here all day whilst I drag it out of you piece but piece, or do we just ‘cut to the chase’ and start dealing with whatever it is?” she asked.

Her friend looked around, eyes over-bright:

“Mattie, if you want to deal with ‘The Judge’ get in line, there’s a queue; starting with Mac, Jack Holden & me.” Ric growled.

“Ok; let’s hear it.”

10 minutes later Mattie was horrified: “That’s creepy! She’s got to be kidding!”

“The Judge never kids.” Ric muttered. “Then she has the FRONT to high-tail it out of town before I can give her a piece of my mind!”

“Well no wonder there’s been a big, black cloud over next door the past couple of days!” Mattie said staring out across the waves.

(The Hunter’s and the Holden’s were neighbours).

“What?!” Ric clearly had not been listening.

“Nothing. So what’s Mac going to do? Not give up, surely?” Mattie asked fearfully.

“I haven’t spoken to Mac, but it’ll be a cold day in Hell before she gives in to black-mail.”

Ric’s voice made his certainty on that point crystal clear.

“Glad to hear it. So, where is Mac?” Mattie asked.

“Granddad says Jack’s with her. I think he said they went into the City, I was past listening by then.”

“Right.”

They sat there silently a while longer & then Ric wordlessly helped Mattie to her feet & walked her the rest of the way home.

Pulling up at a red light, Jack took the opportunity to check on his best friend. His heart dropped; Mac was already exhausted and Miss Bellingham didn’t even know she was in for a fight yet! He sighed. All he could do for now was hope his idea would work, even a little. Gently moving a stray hair from Mac’s eyes, he decided against waking her until he absolutely had to, she would need to take every chance to rest she could get. Instead, when he pulled in to get some petrol, he kept a careful eye on her whilst getting some money out of the station’s ATM. He didn’t get paid for another two weeks and he’d be short but that didn’t matter. He’d still have enough to pay his Dad the rent (just about), and he honestly couldn’t see himself and Mac ‘painting the town red’ any time soon!

Mac woke with a start as Jack returned to the car. Jack felt a stab of guilt as she looked up at him:

“Sorry, I tried to be quiet. Feeling better?” he asked.

“Yeah, lots.” She sat up but kept the jacket over her. ”So, are you going to tell me what we’re buying yet?”

“Nope.” Jack grinned. “You’re just going to have to be patient!”

“Yeah, right!” Mac chuckled. “Can I put the radio on?”

“Sure.” Jack nodded. “We’ll be there in about a quarter of an hour.”

The rest of the journey was spent in companionable silence.

“Is that even legal?!” Flynn said shaking his in disbelief.

“Oh, it’ll be legal alright…” Alf sighed “…Morag wouldn’t risk her neck. Whether it’s RIGHT is totally different.”

“No wonder Ric was steaming! What’s Mac going to do?”

“Well, she won't let me tell Roo, so all she can do is pay off as much as she can as fast as possible and hope to dodge whichever poor bloke Morag’s got trapped. I knew my sister had done some less than humane things in her time, but I tell you mate, this takes the cake.” Alf shook his head sadly.

“Well, Mac knows she’s the first port of call for anything that needs doing around the Caravan Park. Anything else we can do, have Mac let us know.”

“Thanks mate…” Alf stood up & put on his hat. “Let me know Ric’s ok?”

“No problem.”

“Jack, this is crazy! You can't!” Mac gasped.

Jack couldn’t keep in a laugh at the stunned look on Martha’s face:

“Why not Mac?! It makes PERFECT sense. You have one, I have the other, we’re one step ahead, no-one else need ever know and Morag can never get between us however hard she tries!”

“But they’re so expensive Jack!” Mac protested.

“That’s for me to worry about, yours is a birthday present remember? Now are going to choose or are we going to be here ‘til Christmas?” he grinned.

“If you insist then thank you.” Mac leaned up & kissed Jack on the cheek.

“You’re very welcome Martha.” He beamed. “Now, do you think they should be camera-phones?”

Archived