Rewatching The Early Years

Shane and Damo and Jett and VJ are also the Lance and Martin type characters, in a way the Del Boy and Rodney Trotter of Summer Bay. Get rich quick scenes which rarely materialise.

Being a fan of Only Fools & Horses, I do see similarities in Del and Rodney and Lance and Martin, just "Lartin" were not brothers. Their get rich quick schemes and banter, a bit like Toadie and Stonie in Neighbours or the early years of Phil and Grant in EE before they became more miserable hardmen types later on.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.

10 hours ago, dncllpyk said:

Been still watching it still and there is definitely a storyline that wouldn't go down today when Carly had a crush on her teacher and they almost get married. I'm glad she married Ben

See i disagree with you, yes i hate Carly with Foley but I cant stand her and Ben even more, in fact the only relationship of Carly I liked was Matt and I wish they were endgame, something I wish they did during their 2002 return.

• Sad 1

The writers seemed to invest everything in developing Bobby (giving her the diner, the Fisher/Morag stuff), so Carly just got sidelined.

She just got the romantic stories which got a bit of repetitive after a while - in 1989-early 1990 there was Matt, Andrew, Adam, Grant and then finally Ben. I can't remember if she dated Grant, but it was definitely another case of "Carly throws herself at new guy in town" story.

Given how strong her stories were in 1988, it's a shame she went down that path.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adam436 said:

The writers seemed to invest everything in developing Bobby (giving her the diner, the Fisher/Morag stuff), so Carly just got sidelined.

She just got the romantic stories which got a bit of repetitive after a while - in 1989-early 1990 there was Matt, Andrew, Adam, Grant and then finally Ben. I can't remember if she dated Grant, but it was definitely another case of "Carly throws herself at new guy in town" story.

Given how strong her stories were in 1988, it's a shame she went down that path.

She had an episode where she had Grant over for dinner but Sally kept butting in so it went nowhere 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the Pilot again last night... I find it interesting that Don was made out to be such a villain, yet a few months later or in 1989, he was a good guy.

Realizing that Jackie Woodburne aka Julie "Chook" Egbert was one of the original actresses to audition for the role of Pippa is kinda cool. But, I am glad Vanessa Downing and later Debra Lawrence got the roles... There's just some actors who are suited for the roles of certain characters such as Cornelia Frances and Morag.

In a few weeks, I'll be able to see Roger Oakley in another role 5 years prior as Chris Young in Prisoner... It'll be cool to see Roger in both roles at the same time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

Just watched the Pilot again last night... I find it interesting that Don was made out to be such a villain, yet a few months later or in 1989, he was a good guy.

I'd say Alan's death was the turning point for him that made him "human". Prior to that he just came across as a two-dimensional tyrant/villain. Norman Coburn is the greatest actor H&A has ever had and he brought so much depth and emotion to the character that a lesser actor may not have. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adam436 said:

I'd say Alan's death was the turning point for him that made him "human". Prior to that he just came across as a two-dimensional tyrant/villain. Norman Coburn is the greatest actor H&A has ever had and he brought so much depth and emotion to the character that a lesser actor may not have. 

🎶There's a Mad Man who runs this school... There's no escape when he goes wild!🎶😁

(One of the Chorus numbers from the Musical Riff Raff arranged by the Summer Bzy cultural society, Fits Don to a tee)

(It's an existing play would you believe)

31 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

🎶There's a Mad Man who runs this school... There's no escape when he goes wild!🎶😁

I've had that song stuck in my head all evening with absolutely no idea why (particularly when I've been watching this week's Corrie and it doesn't really apply to Crawshaw)...then I come on here and find that... 😵‍💫

• Haha 1