Rewatching The Early Years

I've also noticed that Tom and Pippa shifted to becoming supporting characters towards the end of 1988 too, with Bobby, Frank, Carly and Roo taking centre stage. 

I guess Tom and Pippa's role became somewhat reduced when they went from six foster kids to four (Lynn left, Frank moved out), and the producers clearly realised how popular their breakout stars were so those mentioned above started getting more screen time. 

Given Bobby also moved out in early 1989 and Carly became an adult, I wonder why the producers didn't introduce more regular foster kids at that point to bolster the Fletcher family. Instead, the Stewarts and Fisher picked up Emma and Viv respectively. 

This was also the shows early years where it stuck to its original premise. In Australia now it is the 17th January but here in the UK it is still the 16th Jan for another 2 hours and 20 minutes. 17 Jan 2024 is H&A's 36th birthday. But it is hard to say that the current H&A is actually 36. More like 19 if you go by the 2005 change, or 13 going by the 2011 change, like it is basically a new show using an old shows name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

But it is hard to say that the current H&A is actually 36. More like 19 if you go by the 2005 change, or 13 going by the 2011 change, like it is basically a new show using an old shows name.

We've definitely had the fostering element in the show since 2011. 

Obviously John and Marilyn/Gina have had their share (all guests, except for Raffy and Jett!), Roo and Harvey had Maddie and Spencer, and Leah and Zac had Matt, Evie and Oscar (the latter two being his niece and nephew), and Irene had Bella. I can't remember how many of them were official fostering though.

Fostering has been a slow decline since 2000, with the introduction of a nuclear family into Summer Bay House over maintaining a foster family. It was all but done by 2019/2020 though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, adam436 said:

We've definitely had the fostering element in the show since 2011. 

Obviously John and Marilyn/Gina have had their share (all guests, except for Raffy and Jett!), Roo and Harvey had Maddie and Spencer, and Leah and Zac had Matt, Evie and Oscar (the latter two being his niece and nephew), and Irene had Bella. I can't remember how many of them were official fostering though.

Fostering has been a slow decline since 2000, with the introduction of a nuclear family into Summer Bay House over maintaining a foster family. It was all but done by 2019/2020 though.

In regards to soaps straying from the original format, well can we think of a soap that hasn't done this over time? I think all long running soaps have changed to a degree. Someone once said on another forum years ago how they think H&A has survived because it did change, whereas he says Neighbours never seemed to move on and evolve, such as the teens always acted like pre teens etc.

5 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

In regards to soaps straying from the original format, well can we think of a soap that hasn't done this over time? I think all long running soaps have changed to a degree. Someone once said on another forum years ago how they think H&A has survived because it did change, whereas he says Neighbours never seemed to move on and evolve, such as the teens always acted like pre teens etc.

I think it's fine for soaps to evolve - they have to to stay relevant. I know that H&A will never go 100% back to its roots, however it's a shame that that legacy has been lost entirely. It honestly wouldn't hurt to replace 2 or 3 of the twentysomethings with teenagers (there are so many right now, you'd barely notice!) to provide some balance, even though it will never return to a full-on teenage soap again. Whether I enjoy the current show or not, it is still chugging along, which it probably wouldn't be otherwise. 

I've not watched any of the UK soaps except Hollyoaks, but I understand Emmerdale has changed it's premise too, and Hollyoaks, which was originally about a group of teenagers in college, has evolved into being about an entire village of characters of all ages. 

EastEnders has changed a lot, it used to be quite accurate in the 1980s and early 1990s when it came to modern urban London. Now it seems to be as far from London as it can be. And increased location filming around the Elstree studios kind of gives the game away as it looks too green and suburban instead of densely built like the real East End. And the rooftop scenes on the Vic show lots of countryside instead of the many high rise blocks and skyscrapers peppering the London skyline.

Emmerdale was never all about farming before the airliner crashed on the village that dark December night in late 1993. The change was happening years before that. And Neighbours has changed a lot too but not like H&A.

H&A could have kept its original format to a good degree while evolving but decided to totally abandon it.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.
  • Like 1

Have been watching the 1988 episodes on 7Plus and a couple of things

Martin was such a horrible friend to Lance. He treated him like dirt. Sally was a much better friend. I always loved their connection and that she had a little crush on him

Alf hasn't changed much in the past 35 years. Even back then he couldn't see that his own flesh and blood could do no wrong. And blamed the other person. I'm up to to the bit where Roo is pregnant and she has tricked Frank into sleeping with her so he will think the baby is his. He thinks Frank took advantage of Roo when its the other way around. Glad Ailsa could always tell him when he was being pig headed and she is right it takes two to tango. Roo isn't a little girl anymore. Also love how she and Bobby could see through Roo's sharade

• Like 1

Just rewatched the Barlow shooting scene on 7two. 
the sergeant was doing a good job talking him down, it’s unfortunate that Tom started mouthing off calling him gutless and making him more angry.  Not the brightest idea to abuse and rile up an unstable nutter holding a gun ?‍♂️