Quick Questions

Si-Co

On 20/12/2022 at 22:25, Skylover said:

Thanks, so 28th July 2003. Was it not screened in HD at that point then? Is there reference to it being filmed in HD from this episode onwards anywhere on the internet? 

I had to rifle through the 2003 guide on our very own BTTB to find that date.

Edited by CaptainHulk
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Skylover said:

You'd think they'd do the respectful think and kill the character off, but thinking about it, I'm not surprised ?

It's curious how attitudes change. Once upon a time, the respectful thing if an actor died was to get rid of their character quietly without any fuss. Somehow, over the years, it's gone in the complete opposite direction and now the "respectful" thing is to turn a real-life death into a springboard for a week of fictional drama.

At least that's what it's like in the UK. To be honest, I'm not sure if an Oz soap has ever done an "art imitating life" thing over the death of one of their old actors.

5 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Once upon a time, the respectful thing if an actor died was to get rid of their character quietly without any fuss.

Really? I've never known soaps to do that. Coronation St used to do it around 1980 with characters like Annie and Ena (at least I think they might have, I wasn't watching at the time). But that doesn't really make much sense.

2 minutes ago, Skylover said:

Really? I've never known soaps to do that. Coronation St used to do it around 1980 with characters like Annie and Ena (at least I think they might have, I wasn't watching at the time). But that doesn't really make much sense.

Actually, they're more in Morag's area: Every now and then, someone will insist that Ena's still alive because the show's never actually said she's dead (even though she'd be over 100 by now)! Annie's been confirmed as dead in throwaway comments but there was no big on screen announcement. They did it with at least a couple of earlier characters, mentioning the deaths in passing and not having an on screen funeral. I guess the feeling was that the actors' families might be upset by a big on screen funeral for the characters.