2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Being anti feminist would have been her not going in the first place. 

Being anti-feminist is going and then coming back because she needs a man.

Alf's episode count this week:None. However, it's finale week so things go typically crazy: Jasmine was in every episode, and Robbo, Colby, Bella, Mackenzie and non-regulars Scott and Grace were in four each.

Deep breath.

I am quietly furious that they killed off Mason like this. Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive to the issue, but it feels like the show treats every genuinely decent guy like dirt, a feeling that is only increased by the prospect of Colby the murderer and Dean his accomplice being portrayed as heroes (judging by the promo of their action man antics). They did at least try to give Mason a noble and heroic death, rather than just blowing him up without knowing about it, but they didn't try hard enough.The escape attempt was a shambles of bad planning: Bella should have been the first one out, in order to get urgent medical treatment, so someone should have been primed to carry her with them.And what about that woman patient lying on the floor apparently in a bad way? This whole hostage scenario seems badly thought-out both in and out of universe.It's an ED for pity's sake, you'd expect about half a dozen people in need of urgent critical care, not everyone worrying about that one from the main cast. Meanwhile, the gunmen don't even seem to have considered that if you take a bunch of people hostage in a hospital, some of them are going to be sick and dying, continuing to play the "Do as we say and you'll be all right" card while Bella's lying dying in front of them and they're refusing to let anyone help her.They're dangerous idiots, and at the end of the episode, I'm left with the feeling that Mason died because everyone involved behaved in the most idiotic way imaginable...including, sadly, him.

Mason dismissed Ari's suggestion of staging a fight but his own plan didn't work out much better.Using Bella as a distraction was the worst idea he could have had, because it meant they couldn't get her out, yet he just started doing it without any consultation, forcing everyone else to improvise around him.The result was, instead of getting critically ill patients to safety, Ari and a handful of apparent staff members escaped.That's good for them, they're out of the line of fire and going home safely.But it seems far too small a "win" to be worth Mason dying for.The gunmen clearly don't have a clue, making the rookie error of being surrounded by police and upping the crime from kidnapping to murder, thereby increasing their sentence about tenfold.The police arrive in plenty of time and then just stand around doing nothing while someone gets killed.Harsh perhaps, since more might have died if they'd gone charging in, but despite us being frequently told that every exit is covered, Dean is able to get into the hospital with minimal difficulty, suggesting the gunmen could have got out just as easily.Meanwhile, Robbo is being completely ineffectual by completely failing to get anything out of Victor and Des.

I don't know if we're meant to assume Jay's working for Victor from his casually saying he knows they're his men despite saying otherwise earlier.Or if we're meant to assume Robbo's right that Scott's working for them too.(Presumably it's a recent thing if so, given that they shot him and he shot one of them.)But if Victor, Des, Scott, Jay and the gunmen (unnamed in dialogue but the credits given them the uninspiring names Phil and Reg) are all working together...that's a hell of a lack of co-ordination. I don't even want to think about why anyone thought a hostage siege at the hospital was the best way of achieving their aim, but accepting that they did...The gunmen are apparently waiting for a call.It's suggested that Robbo bringing in Victor and Des threw the schedule off.But why would it? If they meant for Robbo to know about the siege, why did Scott keep it from him? If they didn't, why did Victor suddenly drop a huge hint? If he wasn't meant to find out until later, why did Phil and Reg go in so early and then fret that they hadn't heard from anyone? Aargh!

It feels so generic that we even end with a carbon copy of the last shot of last season, with an aerial view of a car containing a mix of goodie and baddies driving through the bush with the baddie having the upper hand. Which reminds me of how utterly unheroic Colby and Dean were in that scenario and how frustrating it is that the premiere is seemingly going to focus on them again, while Mason gets treated like disposable cannon fodder.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked to see Mason getting shot saving Bella as it was just hearing the gun shot felt very anitclimax to me for a character who has been around for a long time. I don't know why the cops didn't send swat into the hosptail there were only like 4 gunmen so I don't know the police are pretty useless and Robbo instead of going to have a chat with Victor Des and now Scott he should have been more in the action of it.

AAAAH! RED'S CHANGED HIS AVAAAAAAATAAAAAAAR!?

*deep breaths*

Yes... I am bit narked, too, that Mason ate a bullet.

We probably would have got "ArmedpoliceArmedpolice!" Gunman #1 s***s himself start licking shots off, caps somebody and in turn is dispatched then we've got a bloodbath and some viewer complaints.

On 06/03/2020 at 15:14, pembie said:

I just thought Robbo would be more involved with the hospital hostages like helping save them instead of getting Dean to do it 

Actually I was referring to your adding haha to the end of sentences.   Robbo didn't know anything  about the hospital siege until Scott belatedly told him.

One big gripe out of the way first WHY do H&A and not only them but other soaps and dramas insist on showing the audience text messages which unless we are sitting  on top of the TV we can't read!!!!! ?

Where does it say she 'needs' a man, she realised she loved Dean, Ziggy's an independent woman but I don't see her thinking of herself as a feminist.  Does her own thing, always has, just like having someone in her life. 

It did seem shambolic but we don't yet know what happened, what Ari, is that the name of the bloke comforting Marilyn, and Mason decided.  From the shot we saw of the gunman's face he looked just as shocked as everyone else.  As for the abrupt and definite departure of Orpheus Pledger we don't, unless someone on here does, why he chose to go out that way, Was he fired, did he want to leave and not have the door left open for him? He may have decided he wanted  a dramatic exit, his storylines have been on the quite side recently. There was the same  hoo haa about the departure of Andrew Scarborough in Emmerdale. 

I thought the camera slowly panning over the remaining hostages was quite moving, we could see by their faces something awful had happened, then it stopped on Mason's upturned face.  Alex then covered his face.

Normal police procedure for police to hold back until they know how many hostages there  are, how many weapons the people holding them have.  The Respond team had I think only just arrived, they were waiting for a negotiator to arrive, not that would have done any good seeing as what looked like the one and only phone been ripped off the wall.   The gunmen who must have been the lowest members of Vic's gang were useless, Vic won't be happy.  I think, maybe, the idea was just to hold them until they got the call that all was OK at his end.  I was wondering about Jay too, if he was  a reluctant recent recruit.  Ditto Scott, from his previous behaviour he wasn't but they had got to him somehow.  We saw a dramatic car crash and Scott and Robbo on a cliff top.

Vic and Des are old hands at this so no surprise Robbo didn't get anything out of them. 

Bella suddenly remembered she'd taken pink tablets which isn't a lot of help.  Alex's plea Phil & Reg to let them take her and the other sick patients out would have helped their cause but they weren't your usual competent hostage takers. 

Sad shots of the siege and Tori, Justin and Grace being so happy totally unaware of what had happened.  Will this latest disaster to hit them prompt them to move from the bay? John and Irene finding out Marilyn was likely one of the hostages. 

Colby and Dean going on their rescue mission was foolhardy but it's so like them.  

20 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

AAAAH! RED'S CHANGED HIS AVAAAAAAATAAAAAAAR!?

Yes, I do that sometimes. Consider it the reunion that no-one cared enough to give them on screen...

I was very critical of the plotting and the roles assigned to certain characters (with good reason, I think), but to be a bit positive about it, I did appreciate the characterisation of all the main and recurring characters of the hospital, each showing strength in their own way, and the way we saw the news slowly filtering around the Bay and people realising just who was there and in danger.

12 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Actually I was referring to your adding haha to the end of sentences.   Robbo didn't know anything  about the hospital siege until Scott belatedly told him.

That's just me I'm afraid I like to have a laugh 

Archived