2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Ok so party over, I’m upto date. 

I have absolutely no idea what I think about this whole Ret Con// Martha being alive. I don’t know whether to be excited about the twist or annoyed that Alf’s been lying all these years. The jury is out.

I can’t help think tori has caused all this with her silly plan to stash Robbo. This whole chain of things that have happened this week is because of her decision to do that. When really, she could’ve turned Robbo in and he’d be behind bars where Ash and the very childish, not at all scary, riverboys can’t get to him. Ash clocking onto the whole thing, is a welcome turning point in the plot line for me, but I absolutely crapped myself when he was sat in the Morgans house waiting for her. 

GO ON BRODY!!!!! 

Edit: Are Hunter and Jennifer still in the school somewhere? 

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, all in all a very watchable week, I thought. I don't read many H&A spoilers, so the whole thing was a complete surprise. The ending of the Monday episode bamboozled me completely, with Alf randomly being in the hole, at the school, with zero context. But I loved how they addressed it with the going-back-in-time device - switching focus to an entirely different set of characters was a fun twist on the disaster cliffhanger, which had the double function of keeping us in suspense over the fates of Justin, Ash et al. Then the Martha reveal, to cap it off. The barnstorming performance by Georgie and Ray in the sinkhole was let down slightly, though, by the lack of realism of Roo barely asking any questions about her mother later in the week, and then refusing to visit Alf (presumably just because Georgie wasn't rostered on). I simply don't buy this; even if she was too angry to want to see him for its own sake, her desperation for an explanation would surely have prompted her to visit again as soon as possible. Still, I'm very intrigued to hear Alf's explanation when it eventually does come.

Possibly against the grain, but I'm definitely a fan of Ryder now; I like his cheek and his irreverence, and I enjoyed his gesture to Coco of taking over the school to serenade her, even though he then let it get to his head and took it too far. Yes, he can be a twit, but it's a believable character flaw and probably makes me like him more, not less, compared to some of H&A's more self-righteous teenage characters from the past. His behaviour, while immature, also gave Coco a much-needed boost on an otherwise difficult day. Not much to add about Maggie's illness other than what I've already said; any pathos is rendered fairly ineffective by the fact that she's on the regular cast and has only just arrived.

While I'm no fan of Ash and his revenge trip, I still think Tori's been behaving completely unjustifiably towards Ash when she's supposed to be in a relationship with him. How could she possibly think that secretly keeping Robbo at her house was a viable solution? If she wasn't going to hand him into the cops - which would still have been my preference; if he's so innocent, let them find that out - then she should at least have got him out of town once he came out of his 'photo coma'. Robbo conveniently beginning to remember his entire past life just because the plot demanded it felt like too much, too soon, although my stance towards him softened on learning that he wasn't actually Beckett Reid at all. And I guess the whole 'entire family being dead' thing might allow me to cut him some slack, too.

Colby's mere presence continued to annoy me - I can't fully put my finger on why yet, but he does come across as particularly sanctimonious. Nonetheless, interesting that he's the second new arrival of late to apparently know Willow from a past life. The chief River Boy still feels like he's lacking depth for me, and I'm hoping this renaissance is for one storyline only, and not the start of a permament shift by the show back to that world.

Hunter and Jennifer - meh. If I felt it was the genuine start of a relationship, then maybe I'd be interested. As it is, I get the feeling we're going to see more of Jen's dark side and that she'll be portrayed as a mere obstacle to the reunion of love's young dream. Yawn.

What's a ret con?

Hunter and Jen looked fine according to the scene we saw of them snogging on the beach, must have left the school without us seeing them.

Alf just had to use those three dreaded words didn't he - 'to protect you' - oh please.:rolleyes:  I can understand if it's a child, but Roo was a teenager and then the longer you leave it the harder it is to tell the truth. One supposition on my part  is Martha just walked out as she couldn't cope with being a mum any longer.:unsure:  It does of course bring up the question of do Morag and Celia know the truth? TPTB can't leave us, along with Roo, dangling, we want a full explanation.

Ash was smart enough to put two and two together about Robbo having been in the Morgan's garage but not smart enough to include the motel on his list of places he could be.  I was impressed with Brody and Mason with the way they dealt with a fuming Ash (and more laid back Dean) they genuinely didn't know anything about Robbo having been there. Loved the way Brody ordered them out!  Considering they had both helped rescue Alf & Roo that was the last thing they needed. So OK we know Tori wasn't at the hospital when Ash called her  and he had visited Justin there, after being told by Colby to stay away from him as part of his bail conditions, and didn't see her, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have been on a different floor. Looked like Ash cottoned on Tori was in on it - oh dear! Justin was cool in his confrontation with Ash still insisting he was test driving the car for a customer and knew nothing about Robbo.  Tori keeps insisting she's keeping Ash & Robbo apart for Ash's sake to  keep him out of prison, even though it would mean the end of them.

When we first saw Brax he didn't seem to have any means of financial support but still managed to bail various gang members out of chokey, though of course he did have all sorts of dodgy dealings going on before he got respectable.

Mason may well not be qualified but he didn't do anything to Alf that would have endangered him, just kept him stable, took his vitals.  They did take a risk moving that slab off Alf, could have caused more damage. I was concerned about Roo seeing as she recently hurt her back, but she seemed fine, so that implant must be something really wonderful.

Robbo, though he said he wasn't even 'Robbo', let alone 'Beckett Reid' seems ready and prepared to move on, though quite how he will manage that is another question. I missed it, but he did give the woman in the photo a name, hopefully we will find out more tonight.

I initially enjoyed Ryder hitting on Coco and Raffy when he first came to the bay but now that he and Coco are getting closer I just can't get behind them.  Ryder is too annoying and having really liked Coco at the start, I've sort of gone off her.  I do feel that's she's quite high maintenance.  And this is particularly evident with her friendship with Raffy.

So Dean came up with the money to bail Ash out.  I was pretty disgusted with Ash.  Despite agreeing to a whole load of terms/conditions with Colby, he goes straight round to the hospital with Dean to try to 'squeeze' Justin, breaking into the Morgan's and trying to intimidate Brody and Mason into 'giving up' Robbo.  Although Dean could see that Brody was being honest after he very angrily told them to get out which is why he suggested they leave.  The next day Ash, goes round to the Diner,  demands everybody's attention and that if they are harbouring Robbo they have to give him up (or face the consequences).  He then goes round to the Surf Club to do the same thing afterwards.

I really enjoyed the scenes with Robbo and Tori.  She seems to have real compassion for him and I do still suspect that her helping him isn't just about Ash but because she genuinely wants to (even though she was fickle on Wednesday wanting to go to the cops even though Justin managed to talk her out of it).  Not necessarily in a romantic sense but I would even go as far as saying that she enjoys spending time with him.  I could understand her and Willow taking him back to the Morgan's may have held merit given that there was nowhere else but I suspected that Ash may have gone back there anyway.  Have to admit I couldn't stop smiling at the happiness expressed by Tori and Willow upon Robbo remembering he had a family (although I don't think this will be shared by others) and I felt they were both genuinely rooting for him.  Shame it was short lived after he remembered they were killed.  I suppose that coupled with Kat's death is the icing on the cake which has ultimately caused him to want to hand himself in.  Although it doesn't look as though he's going to have the chance now.

I thought Mason handled himself pretty well with Alf.  Let me guess...he's going to go back to med school at some point.

So it was as simple as Jen and Hunter leaving before the floor caved in at the school.  Although the newest two cute blondes share a scene.  Well I suppose Jen at least waited until Hunter and Olivia were completely over before she made a move.  Forgotten how hot she looked in a bikini.

Wasn't too keen on Marilyn having a word with Alf about Roo although at least she did it in a sympathetic manner and did seem genuinely concerned when she came back to visit him again after delivering the news that Roo didn't want to see him.  Didn't sound right Marilyn calling him darling before she left after the first visit.

Alf's episode count this week:Five, for the second week running. Roo and Robbo were both in four, although Robbo didn't have any dialogue on Wednesday and Roo only made a voice only appearance via her answerphone on Friday. Ziggy was only in one.

I really do feel like giving up on Tori. The frustrating thing is it feels like we're meant to see her as some lovely sweet caring angel of mercy, when in fact she's being arrogant and self-centred and is just as bad as Ash and just as much to blame for the mess that's getting worse by the day.She seems to have abandoned any pretence that she's doing this to keep Ash out of trouble, instead she just seems to be helping a wanted fugitive because she...what?Fancies him?Feels sorry for him?And it kind of feels like the show is trying to make us forget everything that happened in finale week and portray Robbo as a victim, when frankly the latest revelations and us having another other name for him don't really clear anything up at all, nor alter the fact that he's murdered at least one man.(Calling it self-defence just because Novak put up a fight is a bit iffy, given that he clearly had no intention of handing him over to the police.)When Tori was saying there was nowhere safer than the Morgan house, I found myself going "What about the police station?" She doesn't even have the excuse that Robbo needs hospital treatment anymore as he's been fighting fit for the last week and is now jumping off garages and getting into a chase.Throw in Ash stomping around town acting like a bounty hunter and there's not really anyone in the storyline to root for except the poor souls caught in the crossfire between the two groups.

I found myself agreeing with Mason's words to Olivia:Yes, she and Hunter have called a truce but that doesn't mean she can expect him to be there for her whenever she calls or get grumpy when he hangs out with Jennifer.That said, I'm glad Mason isn't taking sides and is still friends with her.As for the kiss, Hunter's clearly just using Jennifer as a rebound: His expression before kissing her back just shouted "Okay, what the heck, I'll give it a go."

I forgot to mention yesterday that it was nice to see Ryder actually expressing some concern for Alf and Roo.Otherwise, still no real follow-up to Alf's "She's alive!!!!!!!!"

6 hours ago, H&Alover said:

What's a ret con?

Retroactive continuity: Deliberately contradicting previously established facts, either overtly or by re-interpretation.

Ta for the explanation Red.

Irene soon gave Ash short shrift by chucking him out of the Diner, time seems to have slowed down seeing as it's only the day after the crash, explosion, rescue.  he ought to have learnt those bully boy tactics aren't going to get him the news he wants. Kind of good thinking by Tori of taking Robbo (or should we now call him Ryan) back to the Morgan's as Ash & Dean had already been there. He only called round later to see Tori, only to be surprised by Robbo/Ryan making his way to the cops. He could have called them I guess but they likely would have turned up with guns and flak jackets alerting the whole neighbourhood and Ash. Although it's good he's remembered his family, wife Lauren, son Lucas and daughter Sophia, sad he also remembered they were all dead, I'm on team Robbo/Ryan in case you hadn't guessed. Was it a tragic accident that cost them their lives or something more sinister? He certainly has great reserves of strength and going by what we saw in the trailer he manages to make it all the way to a cliff top pursued by Ash, River Boys and the police! Cliff tops do seem the location of choice for showdowns! I know he's done bad things in the recent past as Beckett Reid, but he was a decent guy,   which we saw by the way he'd rescued Brody and Ziggy, Raffy and helped Coco,  before he 'became' him. Lauren, to me anyway, reminded me of Kat. I'm still of the mind he'd been in the forces before he turned. Odd though his real name didn't show up when the police were trying to find out who he was when he first arrived.

Marilyn did seem to be the go-between with Roo & Alf and didn't push him for any information, Roo is the first person he should give any explanation to.  Marilyn has known 'Mr. Stewart' for ages so I didn't have a problem with her calling him darling. Alf does give Roo a letter, from her mum? later in the week  at the motel where she's staying.  Going back to my earlier thought did Morag and Celia know, surely Morag would objected to his wedding  to Alisa on legal grounds and Celia on moral grounds. That's not to mention Barbara and Debra. John did deliver the news about the school having been built on a sink hole and it was a miracle just he and Roo had been caught up in it.  In view of that I'm guessing that until good old H&S have inspected the place the school will be closed for the seeable.

I hope Jen doesn't read too much into the kiss she had from Hunter, no way is he in the right frame of mind to get into a relationship, seemed more like reflex that he kissed her.

We did see Colby collar Dean and he, like Willow, recognised Colby, he couldn't have been a River Boy in past his could he?:unsure:  Just my thought not a teaser or spoiler.

Thanks for explaining Ret con.

well Robbo and Ash are both arrested in what I felt was a showdown that was a little on the anticlimax side. All this build up and excruciating scenes of Ash trying to find Robbo. He finds him. Pins him to the floor and then immediately is pulled off him by Colby. I at least expected robbo to be dancing off the cliff while Ash stood on his toes or something haha. What was interesting was the scene through the cel door where Robbo tells ash that they’re just the same and they feel the same things. You could see the realisation on Ash’s face that he isn’t on his own in all this.

@Razabaza Im sure Jennifer is younger than Hunter because it wasn’t too long ago she was bullying Raffy and coco in class. Not sure of an exact age though. I think Jennifer may end up hurt here as Hunter isn’t in any state of mind to starting anything. It is however a good distraction for him. Just on the back of my previous post, it does seem that Hunter and Jennifer were in and out of the school before the explosion.

So Dean knows Colby, there is clearly a shady history here and I’m looking forward to finding more out about this one. 

Archived