Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

2 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

AFAIK H&A has never had an archivist and characters ages and birthdays jump around a lot. In 1988 Carly is said to be 16 then 17, then 16 again. TPTB dont think we notice these things but we do. We may just have to accept that due to the way the characters ages jump about, they could have been born any time. Darryl Braxton's age had fluctuated between 1979 and 1983. Maybe I should not get to picky about these things but it does seem to fudge the continuity. They need to create files on characters and make the writers check up on them. Neighbours is just as bad.

I agree. I assume the producers of the show didn't think the teenage demographic they were targeting would be bothered by such details. However watching home and away as an adult, the lack of attention to these details is really annoying and by very obvious.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 35 and started watching H&A as a casual viewer around 1989. I became a regular viewer from 1993 and like you back then I thought the scriptwriting was flawless. But watching reruns I notice the continuity mash ups galore. H&A has had a big impact on British TV and everyone in the UK knows what H&A is. And it is sad to see that today I tend to pick up on these continuity errors. Originally Don (before he knew about Bobby) just had one child, Alan, and no mention of Rebecca. Celia said Roo was her only niece yet a year later, her teenage niece Rebecca, daughter of her sister Barbara (Don's wife) turned up.

2 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I am 35 and started watching H&A as a casual viewer around 1989. I became a regular viewer from 1993 and like you back then I thought the scriptwriting was flawless. But watching reruns I notice the continuity mash ups galore. H&A has had a big impact on British TV and everyone in the UK knows what H&A is. And it is sad to see that today I tend to pick up on these continuity errors. Originally Don (before he knew about Bobby) just had one child, Alan, and no mention of Rebecca. Celia said Roo was her only niece yet a year later, her teenage niece Rebecca, daughter of her sister Barbara (Don's wife) turned up.

Right

There are so many loose ended storylines. I assume we are to forget them.

I think the books give some background, put some things into perspective however, it would be nice if there was a Home and Away prequel that cleared up, on camera some of the inconsistencies.

12 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

In some episodes in 1994 and 1995 you could clearly see the houses had no ceilings and you could see roof of the studio during scenes in Fisher's old house and the Stewart house. Obviously the cameramen did not check the camera angles properly.

??? I guess they thought nobody would notice.

I noticed that Alf's first house had no lock on the door and Bobby never locked her caravan. 

In the letter Alan left to Bobby, he said she was the only person who understood him. Two days later, Bobby said to Fisher that Alan was difficult to work out ?

@Homeandawayfan. I think we need a thread just for the inconsistencies ???

I'm sure Rebecca was mentioned pretty early in 1988 - shortly before Barbara showed up at the latest (when Don was on the phone to her before Roo's wedding). She was also mentioned frequently during Barbara and Alan's stint so I don't think that one was a particular continuity error.

4 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

It really is a shame that the writers didn't create a profile for the characters and stick to it. Several people have written for the show but there should've been a main template for each character to maintain continuity.

?

I think I read that Selina lost a baby, was that Steven's baby? 

Damian's (Yes, Dorky Damo, Irene's son Shane's best mate). Steven hadn't come back yet when Selina had her miscarriage.

Archived