What was gained by killing off Chloe?

adam436

Can someone please tell me what was gained by killing off Chloe? I always felt this was a huge mistake. Chloe was a classic 90s characters and given Kristy was open to an extended guest stint (by that I mean, it was longer than the 1-2 episode cameos most of the Episode 4000 returnees had), who's to say she wouldn't have been interested in more guest stints or even return as a regular one day.

Her death wasn't even necessary to write out Jesse, who could have left to be closer to his daughter or reunited with Josie (who left a few weeks earlier).

When it first happened, my initial thought was Olivia was going to be the next foster child for Sally and Flynn (it had been some years since we had a Sally/Sam-aged foster child), but she was quickly whisked off by James.

After the Summer Bay Stalker storyline and the Sutherland twin swap, Chloe's death was the final straw that made switch off H&A for good for about 9 years.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with everything you've said. It was a very wreckless way to treat a well loved character. And she didn't even get a proper funeral episode. And no one was sad for very long. And yes, there's a possibility that her and Olivia could be in it now. 

Also hate what they did to Jesse. And it was a turning point for my enjoyment of the show. 

12 hours ago, dee123 said:

Nothing. A now classic definition of killing a character off for shock value.

Yes I agree I been told the main reason actor agree to have their character killed off is because they feel they done all they can and want to move on! Sometimes actors are unhappy and the show OK with letting them go that way too.

Based on my past knowledge of behind the scenes I know one series UNKNOWN SPOLIER had planned to kill off someone and they were so popular with both fans and show they decided against the idea and planned to bring them back for an appearance every season after they had left and although a good plan the actor decided to do movies. So Looking back I would liked to seen the car accident they had planned.

Shock Value equals ratings and that what matters.

16 hours ago, dee123 said:

Nothing. A now classic definition of killing a character off for shock value.

If that was the reason, I guess they could have killed off Jesse, who left a few weeks later, or Josie, who left the week before episode 4000 (but no one other than Tasha would have cared!).

If Olivia was introduced as a regular foster child in 2005, then I probably would have been more accepting, but she was quickly whisked off to the UK too.

8 hours ago, samdanfan said:

Based on my past knowledge of behind the scenes I know one series UNKNOWN SPOLIER had planned to kill off someone and they were so popular with both fans and show they decided against the idea and planned to bring them back for an appearance every season after they had left and although a good plan the actor decided to do movies. So Looking back I would liked to seen the car accident they had planned.

Was that Chris Egan/Nick Smith? I vaguely remember something about that now you've brought it up.

If it's not, the only others I can think of are Shannon or Kym Hyde, but I wouldn't exactly call the latter popular enough to bring back for an appearance every year. I guess it could be Steve Peacocke as well, as there was actually a car accident in his exit storyline, however he didn't die.

46 minutes ago, adam436 said:

If that was the reason, I guess they could have killed off Jesse, who left a few weeks later, or Josie, who left the week before episode 4000 (but no one other than Tasha would have cared!).

If Olivia was introduced as a regular foster child in 2005, then I probably would have been more accepting, but she was quickly whisked off to the UK too.

Was that Chris Egan/Nick Smith? I vaguely remember something about that now you've brought it up.

If it's not, the only others I can think of are Shannon or Kym Hyde, but I wouldn't exactly call the latter popular enough to bring back for an appearance every year. I guess it could be Steve Peacocke as well, as there was actually a car accident in his exit storyline, however he didn't die.

No It was a female Character On Neighbours!

Probably Two things.

To Facilitate Jesse's departure and reunite Ben Unwin with old castmates Kristy Wright and Michael Picciliri (though not seen on screen with him, probably caught up off cam).

To Distract us from the tiresome Kim/Hayley/Scott Paternity quagmire and the ongoing Stalker storyline for a couple weeks.

Archived