The Nash family

adam436

Does anyone know why the Nash family fell apart after just two and a half year?

Firstly, were Antoinette Byron, David Woodley and Graeme Squires axed or did they leave of their own accord? If they were axed, I think it's a shame as Joel was a much more interesting and likeable character than his replacement, Rhys, and I get the feeling David Woodley may have stuck around the long haul. If Antoinette left of her accord (since she left earlier, I suspect she may have) then I would have preferred Joel to meet a new woman (Shelley Sutherland perhaps?) like Rhys did with Beth in 2003 or recast Natalie again (perhaps Paula Forest?) 

What are other people's thoughts? Were they written out prematurely or had they had their day?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me they no longer needed to be a family. Gypsy and Tom weren't young teens who needed looking after and with them soon to leave their parents empty nesters, what other storyline was left but to break them up? The pregnancy was good, but there was too much of a gap, i thought maybe they should have adopted/fostered, but hey I'm not a storyliner.

Also they did have foster kids in Peta and Justine, but they were older too and palmed off from Pip, then Trav and Bec so it wasn't like it was their decision in the first place.

I never saw Joel and Natalie as replacement for Michael and Pippa. Or anyone. Just characters in their own right. I thought of them all Tom Nash was the weakest. In fact I'd say he was one of the worst characters between 88-00. I hated when then put him with Justine who I thought worked better with Vinnie. And justine on her own was quite interesting too. The only time I took an interest in Tom was when he started seeing Terri Garner. The first time around that is. 

The sutherlands made me cringe. Kirsty and jade we to young and bratty. When all sutherlands were in the same scene I just wanted to turn off. Or when Duncan and Nick was with them. I felt I was watching children's TV. It wasn't until 2002 I started to like them. 

What I liked about the Nashes is that they had history with the bay. Though I'm a sucker for sticking up for the 97-99 characters as I feel they are the under dogs of the show. And always feel that some great stuff was overlooked. I'm hoping that when the repeats get that far some people with change their minds about the "dip" 

14 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I never saw Joel and Natalie as replacement for Michael and Pippa. Or anyone. Just characters in their own right. I thought of them all Tom Nash was the weakest. In fact I'd say he was one of the worst characters between 88-00. I hated when then put him with Justine who I thought worked better with Vinnie. And justine on her own was quite interesting too. The only time I took an interest in Tom was when he started seeing Terri Garner. The first time around that is. 

The sutherlands made me cringe. Kirsty and jade we to young and bratty. When all sutherlands were in the same scene I just wanted to turn off. Or when Duncan and Nick was with them. I felt I was watching children's TV. It wasn't until 2002 I started to like them. 

What I liked about the Nashes is that they had history with the bay. Though I'm a sucker for sticking up for the 97-99 characters as I feel they are the under dogs of the show. And always feel that some great stuff was overlooked. I'm hoping that when the repeats get that far some people with change their minds about the "dip" 

I may have been a bit harsh about 1997-99 but it was a difficult period of adjustment, post Pippa. It was a bit a comedown compared to the 7-8 red, bordering on white hot years before it. I'd take that time pattern over 2011-14, right now.

Bear in mind Duncan, Nick and the Girls were 14 and in Year 8 as opposed to 15-16 in Year 10 like most teen gangs.

Archived