The Nash family

adam436

I liked 1998-2000. There was an alarming turnover of cast and characters who only stayed a year or two, but I think it just struggled to find its feet. I would describe it as transitional years between Pippa's exit and the Sutherland's arrival, but it was much more superior than 2001-2004, in which the awful Sutherlands dominated too much. 

Does anyone know if the short-lived regulars from that era (e.g. Shauna, Judith, Edward, Peta, Ken, the Nashes) were axed or did they all leave of their own accord?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Ended up being the only foster child that missed Pippa enough to move away to be with her. Not even Sam or Sally did that. And she hasn't had one mention in all of pippas returns. 

I don't know why Sam didn't go with Pippa but I do remember he missed her terribly and didn't cope well with her leaving.

I think Rhys Sutherland was better than Joel Nash. I liked him, but we never came close enough to Joel emotionally, in my opinion. But I loved them at first. But when Natalie changed body (the actress was replaced), I felt they became a bit unbelievable. Natalie's recast was too young, and felt more like Tom's lover than his and Gypsy's mum. But I loved Joel as a cop, the only decent cop in the bay? At least the only decent cop as a regular character. 

I also think Rhys had a more exciting personality which was easier to explore, Joel was more flat. I like when we dig more into the personalities, and some of the early characters have just a "we are so nice" personality which isn't natural. 

I actually also think Tom was so underrated. I really liked him. I never liked Gypsy, though. I never found her believable. And I felt she destroyed Will... 

I think the Sutherland girls were more believable teens in one way, three very different personalities. But the twin swap was awful. 

All in all, I think that the Nashes were good, but I loved the Sutherlands far more. But both families are what H&A lacks these days. Later families haven't been that good, and I want families at least have one adult and kids/teens. And would have been good if the kids had two parents at least in the beginning, like the Nashes and Sutherlands had. 

I wish I could watch these old episodes somewhere. There is so much I have forgotten about, details in the storylines, and other things I remember and miss. And it would have been great to watch it again. 

I have never understood why 97-00 seasons is called the "dip". It was the days when I really got interested in H&A, even if I watched it earlier too - on and off. 

He struggled to deal with Travis and Rebecca as guardians and Don basically decided he needed a stricter house to live in and Don probably felt he was in a better position to look after Sam than he was five years earlier.

I thought Natalie 2 was kind of hot, probably the best looking Mum we'd had on the show at that point in an "Oh yeah!" way :wub: 

1997-99 only felt like a dip because of the whole changing of the guard at Summer Bay House (Pippa riding off with Ian, Sal moving out) and certain characters being pushed aside The Stewarts (until Duncan's accident and the aftermath), Sally despite getting top billing. But we had the likes of Vinnie, Will, Gypsy and Justine to help steady the course.

Archived