1994 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Sorry to post shortly after my other post but I just wanted to drop in and say how much I wish Jack really was a cross-dresser :lol: Was laughing my head off, and Ailsa's speech to him in the Diner, 'this is the 90s, cross-dressing's not unknown'.

Do the female characters in the 20s age bracket seem to get a raw deal in so much as they never seem that like-able. Roxy is extremely annoying, and so was Lucinda her predecessor. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the acting. I don't see what the big deal was when Alf and Rob made that bet about Rob getting her to agree to dinner with him.

Luke was gone in the space of about 1 episode, I was sad to see him go in the end, he really grew on me. As did Rebecca 2, the actress was very good, especially when she was dumped by Luke. Shame she didn't last longer.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed at the muck up day prank but I think Fisher was a bit harsh with punishment.

Grow up Sally.

Oh no Jack's in big trouble with the bank.

Finally Curtis and Shannon called it quits it was a long  time coming.

I apologize for all the posts.

It was really nice to see Jack succeed for once, playing his guitar at the Diner and being good for business. He's had so many stuff ups since he arrived that he makes Tug look responsible! Poor Jack came home and Michael had no interest in his new job because of Damian cheating. Sam's response was great though 'Don't worry bud, I'm proud of you' :D Irene had a pretty intense reaction to Damian cheating, wasn't expecting that. Speaking of Irene, what's this predicting the future thing? Seems really random and I don't remember her mentoning it in the last 16 years.

Really enjoying 1994, not long until 95, I love Jack :)

Don was rather tough with his punishment, it was only a few sheep and some cleaning required, there was no vandalism or anything. 

I can't remember whether Don actually allowed them to sit exams in Summer Bay after all (he did relent enough to send them to Yabby Creek instead of the city, but just thinking whether or not he may of backed down further or not)

Sally is being very hard,  Michael is doing his best to repair his relationship, I wonder when Pippa gets back. It is not looking good for the Ross household.

Not sure what to make of Jack cracking onto every girl in sight. I was really a fan of him and Selina together, they're really sweet, but I don't understand how they're trying to portray him. Apparently he's supposed to really care about Selina yet he's seeing Frankie and Sonia at the same time! I thought once Selina said she was sure about getting back together he'd get his act together but apparently not!

Pippa agreeing Sally could go on that excursion got her into a bit of hot water. But I have to say Debra and Dennis are excellent in the scenes when they argue, it brought some great drama :D

It's nice seeing Shannon and Curtis move in, I don't know much about their characters, I didn't know one of them lived with the Stewarts, and one with the Rosses.

Just wanted to add as well, I don't remember Alf and Ailsa ever having such heated arguments as Michael and Pippa did? Their arguments always seemed like watercooler moments whereas Alf and Ailsa had arguments but you always knew they'd work it out. You did wonder about Michael and Pippa sometimes, and whether one of them would go too far at some point. Pippa bringing up the money they'd wasted on Haydn was a bit :huh:

Ah the old all you can eat Pizza Hut menu, I remember it well, pizza as well as sweets and you could gorge yourself to your hearts content.  Was a real novelty whenever we did a trip to the city back then, These days there are fast food outlets on every corner.  Interesting that Sally referred to Michaels first marriage, that must have hurt him to hear that.   She sure can fire off some spiteful comments sometimes.:huh:

It was a touching scene with Ros and Shane on the beach embracing.

The atmosphere changes when Shannon and Curtis arrive. Is this what is referred to as the golden era now? As it certainly feels like that is the case. I'm not sure what changed, but everything feels like it has slotted into place...

On 2/29/2016 at 11:31 AM, early years fan said:

...and another pet disappears into thin air at summer bay, whatever happened to mindy? conveniently gone missing:( it was a breath of fresh air to have an animal on the show, the dog didn't end up getting much air time.  Makes you wonder why the producers bothered to introduce the dog into the script in the first place.

On 2/29/2016 at 4:29 AM, beau_t said:

Did you notice the references to Mindy recently? Angel and a few other characters kept saying to Curtis and Shannon "I'm sorry to hear about Mindy". So she's obviously been written out off-screen. I guess at least they bothered to do that much. Poor Dag Dog's whereabouts are still unconfirmed.

Seems like no-one saw the scene when they realise that the dog was pinched by some of the caravan park residents.

Still, it would have been good to have the dog just a little longer than it was actually seen...

15 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

The atmosphere changes when Shannon and Curtis arrive. Is this what is referred to as the golden era now? As it certainly feels like that is the case. I'm not sure what changed, but everything feels like it has slotted into place...

I'd say so for sure. Right now at Aus pace the 7TWO episodes are really feeling like the very beginning of the 'golden era' and I'm loving it! The energy of the show has changed, I can't quite put my finger on what's happened other than it's become a lot more emotional and the drama is very character driven.

The drama is coming from the clash of personalities too which is really enjoyable, plus I think characters like Selina, Shannon, Angel, Jack and Curtis haven't really been seen on the show before. These characters have a little bit more fire about them that could be seen as unlikable sometimes, but I think that makes it a lot more interesting to watch.

I'm finding Angel a bit overbearing at times, which I didn't pick up on when I watched it back in 94 - that's not to say I don't like her because I actually find her very interesting to watch, but her responses are so over dramatic - sometimes I find it uncomfortable and I feel sorry for Shane haha

Right now the new characters are really coming to the forefront and I think the current cast is very much 'on point'. I'm really looking forward to each episode, it's becoming addictive, particularly because I know what's to come. The show really does change dramatically over the next couple of months - but in a really good way I think. It still feels like Home and Away but it's most definitely revamped and more 'modern' (for 1995). I also think the characters look really 'cool', I'm really liking the way they all dress. Angel looks so attractive and her style is real interesting. I wish the current show had such diverse characters because I see these types of people out and about all of the time - it would make the show way more appealing to me.

I was a fan from the start but if I'm completely honest I pretty much became a super fan at this point (back in the day) and this was when I really started to love the show.

There's a few things I've noticed which I think contributes to the change in feel of the show. The dynamic between Michael and Pippa has changed. I don't mean this as a slight against the actor who plays Michael, because both Michael and Pippa have always been good, but their acting seems to have dramatically improved in 1994. I think it helps that by this point they've been in the show a few years but I used to sometimes feel like I was wathing acting whereas now I feel really invested in the characters. Which is funny because I really loved Tom and Pippa but now I feel like I love Michael and Pippa just as much.

I suppose the second thing is Shane and Angel, personally I find both of them a bit overbearing (do they receive more screentime than the others?) That's not o say I don't like them because I do. As with Michael, Angel has come along in leaps and bounds - a lot of the time I don't like the things Angel does but Melissa is such a good actress that I always find myself empathising with the character and seeing her point of view. I understand why they became this golden couple though - for me their relationship is one of the mos realistic teen romances I've ever seen portrayed, so much work has been put into their characters and it's really paid off. Their timeline of events is so spot on, they didn't rush into anything and it took them a while to make that move and sleep together, and when they did it seemed like they really loved each other. Part of me feels that it's a shame Shane and Tug didn't form a friendship much earlier on because I loved the group of Sarah, Tug, Shane, Angel and Damien but then members of the group leave soon after. Even planning Shane and Angel's wedding has been realistic, normally characters decide to get married and it's over and done with within a month, but they had an engagement party and we were shown how they struggled to save for the wedding etc. These are the king of things that are missing from modern soaps.

Thirdly, Selina is a massive breath of fresh air. She is a classic character, moreso than Shane and Angel for me. I love seeing her this time around because one of my first ever memories (from when I was about 5!!) is when 

Spoiler

she drunk that can of coke with a wasp in lol

Interesting that Damian's lasted over 3 years so far and still hasn't had a girlfriend really. Another contrast to Jack and Shane. Speaking of Jack, he really did become the focal point of the show for a while, I wonder why this was? I was going to say I really loved his sibling relationship with Sally. I can't believe how amazing Kate is at the age of 14, I wish they'd give her more to do sometimes.

Selina had some heartbreaking scenes in the Beach House with Irene and I really felt for her character. I'm kind of gutted about what they've done with Jack over this Selina business, does he love her or not? I don't really see why they're making him fancy every girl in sight, but then it provides a bit of variety against all the goodie goodie boys like Shane. :D

But yeah,alexx - I totally know what you mean about the characters seeming more 'cool'. I suppose it doesn't hurt that they're all pretty much supermodels IMO (particularly Shannon and Curtis) but they seem a lot more stylish and they do seem a lot more aspirational than all the earlier sets of characters. I definitely see your point with this.

Archived