The Sets Thread

On 6/7/2016 at 9:43 PM, Homeandawayfan. said:

The sets used to be bright and inviting but today I find them dark and gloomy inside. The "daylight" may look more realistic but it makes the houses inside all look dull and depressing. The filmic look does not help. The sets in Neighbours look more inviting. Then again it is nearer to H&A than H&A is.

Wow I don't know how you can think the current very bright sunlit sets aren't bright and inviting, yet find the Neighbours sets more inviting (which are very artificial/dated looking and dark Imo). I think the total opposite is true, actually the dull and artificial sets over on Neighbours really put me off watching. I don't actually think you can get any more bright and sunlit than the current H&A sets.

Perhaps you've started to associate the current 'look' with the dark and cold direction the show took over the past few years.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose it could be that a lot of the sets became very stark. They've made the Beach House a lot warmer now by adding curtains and things, but it's not hugely Irene, although given Irene's lack of character these days maybe it is. I think the Beach House benefitted most from the new lighting due to it having full length doors & windows on two wall (one being the 4th wall).

I think Summer Bay House suffered the most, firstly due to it's dark paint work, then by the lighting being as if it still had the old shrubbery surrounding it and the windows are quite small. I think since the location returned the lighting has improved hugely, firstly due to the side door porch being pushed back so it doesn't cover the door, so light streams in there and through the side window. Then they've either added or remembered the windows on the 4th wall. 

I hope they give Summer Bay House a revamp soon, it's not very Alf and I can't believe Roo didn't put her stamp on it, the hallway especially needs to be lighter.

On 15 June 2016 at 4:08 AM, c120701 said:

I suppose it could be that a lot of the sets became very stark. They've made the Beach House a lot warmer now by adding curtains and things, but it's not hugely Irene, although given Irene's lack of character these days maybe it is. I think the Beach House benefitted most from the new lighting due to it having full length doors & windows on two wall (one being the 4th wall).

I think Summer Bay House suffered the most, firstly due to it's dark paint work, then by the lighting being as if it still had the old shrubbery surrounding it and the windows are quite small. I think since the location returned the lighting has improved hugely, firstly due to the side door porch being pushed back so it doesn't cover the door, so light streams in there and through the side window. Then they've either added or remembered the windows on the 4th wall. 

I hope they give Summer Bay House a revamp soon, it's not very Alf and I can't believe Roo didn't put her stamp on it, the hallway especially needs to be lighter.

I hate the current red splatter wall paper. And they supposedly have a door and additional bedroom at the bottom of the stairs so I'm not sure if the current TPTB know that

2 hours ago, Dan F said:

They know of the front door, but that door to the downstairs bedroom has officially disappeared now. We saw that corner of the hallway when Hunter was sneaking around.

That's interesting, I wonder if that was when they redecorated when Miles was there. Given the lengths they've gone to recently to match the set to the exterior, I'd expect the current set designers to add the door & additional room rather than take it away.

23 hours ago, Dan F said:

They know of the front door, but that door to the downstairs bedroom has officially disappeared now. We saw that corner of the hallway when Hunter was sneaking around.

Interesting you should mention that, because if it's the door that is to the left of the big opening from the living room to the entry corridor, it was back last night!

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Interesting you should mention that, because if it's the door that is to the left of the big opening from the living room to the entry corridor, it was back last night!

I think you're referring to the linen cupboard at the end of the hall?

This door was at the other end of the hall, past the staircase and near the front door - but it was only seen on a couple of occasions (I can only think of one time offhand around the Sutherland/Hunter era).

Though when the bedroom was used for the one and only time in 1988, we didn't actually see the door from the hallway side, only from inside the room - so we can't be 100% on whereabouts it was actually situated (the direction Tom and Danny come into the room also confuses things but that's a whole other story)

• 6 months later...
On 17/06/2016 at 6:52 PM, c120701 said:

I think even the linen cupboard's been forgotten about. I wonder if any of the current onscreen residents even know what that door is.

It's like Monica's closet in Friends. One day Alf will say "You know something... I have no idea what's in that closet"... He'll phone Sally up and ask if she has a key... Sally will say she never used the closet after Pippa left, so he'll phone Pippa. Pippa will rush "Back to the Bay" :wink: and say "Alf... whatever you do, never open that closet". Consumed by curiosity one night, Alf can't sleep as thunder and lightning shakes the house. He goes downstairs and breaks the door of the closet, to find a skeleton tied to a chair. It's holding a baking tray of old meatloaf in one hand and a photograph in the other. Alf looks at the photo, it's the original Fletcher family photo from the pilot episode, only something is different. He looks at all the faces closely. "Hogan's ghost!" Alf mutters to himself. "That's not Pippa..."

"That's right Alf", says Pippa, who has appeared behind him, wielding a giant axe and doing her "serious, angry-eyes" face. "It's NOT Pippa." Lightning strikes as Pippa swings the axe and Mike Perjanik "bobby comes out the fridge" score plays. Freeze frame on Alf's terrified face.

Sorry for the spoilers folks, but I've just told you the 2017 season finale.

:lol:

Archived