The Sets Thread

I always wondered who owned 31 Saxon Avenue when it disappeared off-screen, as I know the Braxtons never owned it.

I think it's a shame it's no longer on-screen, the fridge in that house was there from when it first appeared in 2000. I also wonder what happened to all the furniture left in the house, unless the landlord owned it or Brax arranged removals to get his furniture to the city.

I know it's a TV show but I just think it's interesting when you think of the things that aren't explained.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bear with me on this one, I'm confused about the surf club. If youre looking at the surf club from the beach is the set we used to see with the kiosk and pool table in the 90s and 00s the far right building? So not below what is now Salt. It lookslike the characters entered from the little corridor back then? Either from the beach side or the road (back of the club) . This was a window of the beach behind the kiosk so that would make sense to me. I assumed then, that that corridor. Would lead to the area we frequently see now with the shutters open where they keep the lifeboats etc. 

However I realise in real life the place has been done up. The current set of the surf club has stairs. Would I be right in think those stairs lead to a Salt. If so, it must be where they keep those lifeboats but it's not as we see that from the outside. 

Back in the 80s we also saw stairs in th club I assume lead to the look at. But then again that would still be on the wrong side. 

Also inlove in the 90s that stage would appear and different angle depending. Also in the late 00s in though the way Noah's Bar went so far to the right was just plain silly. 

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? 

8 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

If youre looking at the surf club from the beach is the set we used to see with the kiosk and pool table in the 90s and 00s the far right building?

Correct, and the main surf club area on-screen is still mostly in that same building. It's the stairs to Salt which have always confused things and has been a topic of discussion before.

In real-life, the old entrance that you speak of is now part of an extension in between the clubhouse (right) and boatshed (centre) buildings, which was addressed on-screen with the 2004 revamp.

The only way it can really work nowadays on-screen, and you still have to take a lot of artistic licence, is if you think of the main surf club/gym area taking up the right clubhouse building, the extension between the two buildings, and some of the centre boatshed building (i.e. they've knocked through). That way the stairs to Salt go up the edge of the boatshed building, at the top of the stairs you'd then make a U-turn and walk back down the corridor to the main entrance to Salt.

But the problem that remains is that the balcony you see on-screen is actually facing the wrong way - it should be roadside, not beachside if the stairs are coming up from the clubroom side. I do think a mistake was made there, perhaps whoever designed it forgot that the clubroom wasn't directly underneath.

24 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Correct, and the main surf club area on-screen is still mostly in that same building. It's the stairs to Salt which have always confused things and has been a topic of discussion before.

In real-life, the old entrance that you speak of is now part of an extension in between the clubhouse (right) and boatshed (centre) buildings, which was addressed on-screen with the 2004 revamp.

The only way it can really work nowadays on-screen, and you still have to take a lot of artistic licence, is if you think of the main surf club/gym area taking up the right clubhouse building, the extension between the two buildings, and some of the centre boatshed building (i.e. they've knocked through). That way the stairs to Salt go up the edge of the boatshed building, at the top of the stairs you'd then make a U-turn and walk back down the corridor to the main entrance to Salt.

But the problem that remains is that the balcony you see on-screen is actually facing the wrong way - it should be roadside, not beachside if the stairs are coming up from the clubroom side. I do think a mistake was made there, perhaps whoever designed it forgot that the clubroom wasn't directly underneath.

Thank you Dan. I'm glad my post makes sense. Not sure it was making sense to me when I was writing it

I didn't realise at the time with the 2004 revamp (as the set entrance/exit to the surf club looked the same but with a door to one side only), but effectively we were then looking at the club from a different angle, weren't we?

Whereas originally we looked from the main clubroom towards the boatshed building so the window behind the kiosk was meant to be the kiosk window we see on the outside currently, in 2004 we started looking towards the beach.

• 1 month later...

Was watching scenes in Matts house. The set where Grant lived for a while. That's set just seemed like a real house by the beach and I liked the layout. Much more of a beach house than the actual beach house. I wish it lasted longer. But come to think of it, there's a lot of sets I wish lasted longer. 

It reminded me of house I saw around the area.

Archived