Adam Cameron - Mat Stevenson

Jezz

Adam Cameron was a prominent character of the Early Years appearing regularly from 1989 in episode 338 and eventually departing in 1994 in episode 1413. Adam then returned five years later in a guest capacity in 1999 for two months. In the five years he was in the show, Adam certainly did have his fair share of troubles and he's mostly remembered for being a part of the boat ride that killed Bobby Simpson.

Now a few questions to those who know about the character, because I'm quite intrigued by how Adam's character evolved in the five years he was a regular on the show.

1). Did Adam start off as a good guy, but did he gradually get worse as time went on and why did he turn out this way?

2). Was the way Adam treated after Bobby's death somewhat justified or was it cruel as he already felt terrible about Bobby's death?

3). Was his return in 1999 necessary or was it a waste of time?

200px-Adam_Cameron.jpg

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

Interesting.

It seemed that his parents died and left him money. He spent it all on a yacht but it got trashed in the bay so he ended up skint and stuck there.

So I guess he has always lived life in a care free way and not thought about consequences. Maybe with his parents dying he had an attitude of live life while you can and don't about the future too much.

His carelessness over things ended up with the death of one of his close friends. So in a way I think his five years was a nice story arc.

The only time I didn't like him was when he was being a jerk to Paul and Emma with the fighting. It was the only time I can recall mallous in him.

I guess when Lance and Martin left, they made him more comic then what he originally was intended to be.

Regarding his 99 stint - personally, I really liked it. It was great that he turned up with a different attitude about life. He was a little wiser in the first few weeks. Gave Chloe great advice prompting her to leave and when of the best things about his guest stint is that we saw a much older Sam discuss with Adam what happened with Bobby. After a couple of weeks he started to get a bit more like the old Adam though. Lusting after Shauna, trying to rig yet another surf race! and the tit for tac games with Vinne and Sally. I did actually like Adam and Vinnie in scenes together though.

I didn't like how he left though. Once again he was pretty much forced out of town. But for something he didn't do this time! Yet again though, it resulted in a lovely scene with him and Marilyn with her saying that she did believe him..

I would like to see him back and think he would still work in the current show. He can still be a foil to Alf, and he and John Palmer could have many stories involving the surf club. And of course teaming him up with Maz again could be an idea.

Edited by Blaxland 89

When I was watching last years Channel 5 specials he was the one character that interested me and yet I really didn't remember him and I still don't remember the 1999 stint :lol:. But I do agree that he is the type of character that could still work on the show as it is now. Perhaps a more mature Adam but still with the cheeky chappy moments.

IIRC he thought Shauna was gay.

I thought his 1999 return was a lot of fun, with a mixture of comedy and serious moments. His rivalry with Sally and Vinnie was funny although I thought he was way too nasty to Sally, considering she really stuck up for him in 1993/4 when nobody else would bother with him.

Edited by beau_t

IIRC he thought Shauna was gay.

I thought his 1999 return was a lot of fun, with a mixture of comedy and serious moments. His rivalry with Sally and Vinnie was funny although I thought he was way too nasty to Sally, considering she really stuck up for him in 1993/4 when nobody else would bother with him.

Ironically, Kylie Watson herself is a lesbian.

• 11 months later...

Adam Cameron was a prominent character of the Early Years appearing regularly from 1989 in episode 338 and eventually departing in 1994 in episode 1413. Adam then returned five years later in a guest capacity in 1999 for two months. In the five years he was in the show, Adam certainly did have his fair share of troubles and he's mostly remembered for being a part of the boat ride that killed Bobby Simpson.

Now a few questions to those who know about the character, because I'm quite intrigued by how Adam's character evolved in the five years he was a regular on the show.

1). Did Adam start off as a good guy, but did he gradually get worse as time went on and why did he turn out this way?

2). Was the way Adam treated after Bobby's death somewhat justified or was it cruel as he already felt terrible about Bobby's death?

3). Was his return in 1999 necessary or was it a waste of time?

200px-Adam_Cameron.jpg

I loved Adam as a character he never seemed to do anything right or things never went how he wanted but he was happy go lucky he never let anything get him down for long. IMO he started off as a good guy he saved Roo from being raped by Revhead, he arrived with his boat wanting to start tours, he good on well with most Characters, he even caught the Shark that killed Rory Heywood. Then he started trying to make money with his schemes that never went to plan, as for Bobby's death he was seen to be messing around while driving the boat he wasn't looking when the boat hit the driftwood although I think him being blamed for her death was very harsh he was just being himself I still looked at him as a good character and a good guy he did eventually redeem himself by saving Sam from the fire, I was guttered when he left but I think at the time it was the right decision the Character had done all he could. I have not seen all the episode's of his return but I was very happy when he came back, from what i saw he came back with a chip on his shoulder and lashed out at all those who blamed him for Bobby's death I felt it wasn't a real reflection of his character he had changed and eventually left the bay when he realised everyone still hated him. I think the return was a waste tbh there were the chance for some better storyines with this character and maybe even a longer say. im not sure if it was ever mentioned what he did during his time away from the bay but it really intrigues me what he would of got up to.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I've been watching some of my 1990 episodes and thinking (now I've seen Adam's entire stint) how much of a shame it is that Adam was never really developed. Over the course of 5 years all he ever really did was have money-making schemes which never worked. Does anyone else agree it's a shame?

I'd have liked Adam and Marilyn to get married instead of her getting married to Phil Bryant.

• Like 1