Ray Meagher.

Guest Homeandawayfan.

I'm glad to hear it but I don't really want him sticking around unless Alf gets some meaty storylines again. Right now he's just Roo's Dad who lives in the caravan park drinking cups of tea.

Although, to be fair, he does do a little (very little) more than that from time to time.

Would it kill you to say something positive for once?. It's the truth though.... when was the last time Alf had a storyline just on his own??? I think it was that doll thing that he was scared of but that was last year or the year before (Marilyn found it I think). I also enjoyed that violin scene too.

But I am glad he will stick around and not leave. It would be weird to not have him there. I love Alf and wish he had more screentime!!

When you've been on a show for 25 years. Eventually you've done every storyline possible. It would just be repetition if Alf were to get more storylines. Not saying I don't want him to have one but its understandable to think he doesn't have as much storylines as he used to.

Plus I don't think it's possible for the ironically named Light of the Bay to say something positive.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Ray (Alf) never leaves the show ever. He's what Home and Away is all about, and without him the show just doesn't feel the same. He doesn't need major storylines to know that his presence in the show is still very much felt amongst viewers.

I'm glad to hear it but I don't really want him sticking around unless Alf gets some meaty storylines again. Right now he's just Roo's Dad who lives in the caravan park drinking cups of tea.

Although, to be fair, he does do a little (very little) more than that from time to time.

Would it kill you to say something positive for once?. It's the truth though.... when was the last time Alf had a storyline just on his own??? I think it was that doll thing that he was scared of but that was last year or the year before (Marilyn found it I think). I also enjoyed that violin scene too.

But I am glad he will stick around and not leave. It would be weird to not have him there. I love Alf and wish he had more screentime!!

Plus I don't think it's possible for the ironically named Light of the Bay to say something positive.

Um....

I just don't see why I shouldn't call out the writers/producers on their treatment of older characters on H&A. If you feel there is no problem then that's okay.

Would it kill you to say something positive for once?.It's the truth though.... when was the last time Alf had a storyline just on his own??? I think it was that doll thing that he was scared of but that was last year or the year before (Marilyn found it I think). I also enjoyed that violin scene too.

Plus I don't think it's possible for the ironically named Light of the Bay to say something positive. Um....

I just don't see why I shouldn't call out the writers/producers on their treatment of older characters on H&A. If you feel there is no problem then that's okay.

I know. You've said it about 100 times in each thread on this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where else to put this but via Digital Spy via TV Choice:

Link

I'm glad to hear Ray acknowledge this. To be fair to them I think they have already made a significant effort to reduce unnecessary violence in the storylines in 2013 so far, but the balance is still off and it's good to know they're aware of it!

I've said before that I think the amount of violence and the length of time it was continually portrayed were overdone particularly in the early stages of the River Boy journey. I too am pleased that this has been acknowledged and that steps have been taken to wind it back.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think that now Alf is the King of Home And Away. Longevity in my book is one of the biggest qualifications for legendary status. Take Alan Turner in Emmerdale, been in it for 31 years and the longest serving character ever. To me Turner is the Don of Emmerdale even if he does not get much to do. Same with Ian and Dot in Easties.

The day Ray Meagher leaves H&A will be in a wooden box but that will be decades away I am sure.

I personally think that now Alf is the King of Home And Away. Longevity in my book is one of the biggest qualifications for legendary status. Take Alan Turner in Emmerdale, been in it for 31 years and the longest serving character ever. To me Turner is the Don of Emmerdale even if he does not get much to do. Same with Ian and Dot in Easties.

The day Ray Meagher leaves H&A will be in a wooden box but that will be decades away I am sure.

Don't think that Home and Away would end without Alf. Many sad the same when Sally left but I do know that it wouldn't be te same without him and the show wouldn't feel right. He is truely a legend and when he does leave (which hopefully won't be anytime soon) he'll get the epic send off he deserves.

I think Home and Away would pretty much feel the way it does now, if Alf left. He doesn't really have much of a role in the show anymore, not enough for the current show to miss him anyway Imo. Of course the fans would miss the character because he's so iconic, but I don't think a lot of the current set of viewers would be switching off if he left (if he was in the same position as he is now).

Yes Maz and Irene are still around (and Roo, but she's more 'new school'), but I think what the show would lose, is that last strong link to the very early years.

I hope that Alf is given more stablity. I'd like to see him form a relationship with a woman. No I'm not living in the past, but I think Alf was at his best when he had a strong woman by his side. It would be great if he were to meet someone with similar qualities to Ailsa. Let's watch them set up home together, give them a comical, but tender dynamic and set them up as a 'super couple' that the viewers can really get behind.

Archived