How do YOU personally divide up H&A's lifespan (1988-present)

CaptainHulk

2005-2008 Back to basics

Back to basics? That's when the show went off the rails and was veering even further away from the basic Home and Away format Imo

The show still had strong links to its past it just became a bit more sensationalist but A LOT more community minded than the years that would follow.

97-99 does seem to get a bad rep, but I certainly don't think it was anywhere near as dull as people remember.

I think a lot of it is just because it followed that 95-96 'Golden' era, which many long-term fans consider as the best years of the show (myself included).

In comparison to those, any other year would seem rather mediocre.

• Like 5

I completely agree Dan. The more I see the occasional clip or episode from 1997-1999, the more I can't wait to see that whole era again. There were soooo many good storylines during that era as well as some great unique characters like Joey Rainbow and Diana Fraser. I think the exit of Pippa overshadowed a lot of that for many people, but looking back now, it was still very much the H&A that a lot of people loved rather than what we'd get in later years (not making a dig at the current show, just an observation).

• Like 3

I probably wouldn't agree that 1994 is part of the common opinion of the 'Golden Era' - with the season starting recently on 7TWO, it's been discussed how it's a relatively low-key season which many people don't have much memory of.

It's not seen in a negative light like 97-99 seems to be, but seems to be a year where a lot of people just simply don't have much of an opinion, until their memories are jogged with a few of the key storylines.

2005-2008 Back to basics

Back to basics? That's when the show went off the rails and was veering even further away from the basic Home and Away format Imo

The show still had strong links to its past it just became a bit more sensationalist but A LOT more community minded than the years that would follow.

This time brought it back to families (imo). We had just come out of a lot of broken families (Sutherlands, hunters) and then we went back to Sally at the front of the show, creating her own foster family.

Sorry I should have explained that