How do YOU personally divide up H&A's lifespan (1988-present)

CaptainHulk

Pretty spot on. Although I think you are a little harsh on the late 90s

IMO, The late 90s had more promise than delivery and as I said before I just liked Neighbours better at that point in time :D . I guess it was a period of adjustment after Pippa left (In an exit hardly worthy of her). Sally basically drifted despite getting top billing and a chance to "show off the goods" in that low-cut black dress in the opening credits :wub: ,

Travis and Rebecca just didn't really work taking up Pippa's mantle so quickly. Vinnie's antics, however and the introduction of the Nashes were bright spots and the 1998 cliffhanger was fantastic. 1999 was sort of a mixed bag, either really great weeks or pretty boring patches.

I guess the last few seasons of the classic period spoiled me.

Maybe I'm splitting it down too much, but I think the current repeats almost feel as if they are airing the 3rd era. Quite where one begins and another end is not always clear and some may have briefly overlapped.

I think there's a first era that ends somewhere around the time that Floss and Neville leave and Morag reveal Bobby's parentage in that the first 270 episodes are all essetnially leading to that revelation. Then there's a second era that encompasses most of 1989 and possibly most of 1990 as well where a lot of characters came in for a short period and a lot of the originals left

Then we move onto a third era that is 1991-1993, and a fourth era 1994-1997.

I feel that 1995 and 1996 were transitional years with many classic characters going including Roxy, Shane, Angel, Damien, Tug, Adam, Finlay, Sarah and Nathan. When Angel left for British shores I went off the show a bit and enjoyed Jack Wilson but after Angel left I feel he had run his course and was just a glorified extra. Also Sam seemed to have run his course.

1996 saw replacement youngsters such as Steph, Joey, Casey, Justine and that other girl who hung out with Joey and to me they did not cut the mustard like their predecessors Angel, Shane, Damien, Tug etc.

I sort of have a like and dislike of Fisher and Marilyn. I think once their marriage ended Fisher became a more positive person and was a total pussycat in 2000 compared to 1990.

I feel that 1995 and 1996 were transitional years with many classic characters going including Roxy, Shane, Angel, Damien, Tug, Adam, Finlay, Sarah and Nathan. When Angel left for British shores I went off the show a bit and enjoyed Jack Wilson but after Angel left I feel he had run his course and was just a glorified extra. Also Sam seemed to have run his course.

1996 saw replacement youngsters such as Steph, Joey, Casey, Justine and that other girl who hung out with Joey and to me they did not cut the mustard like their predecessors Angel, Shane, Damien, Tug etc.

I sort of have a like and dislike of Fisher and Marilyn. I think once their marriage ended Fisher became a more positive person and was a total pussycat in 2000 compared to 1990.

I see 1995 as stable (everybody had a turn and the only real damp quibs were Donna once her domestic violence story played out and Rob who vanished but was still living in town late as '99) and 1996 hitting the reset button (New Year 10 line up). However Stephanie, Casey and Liam were all got rid of within a year and ostensibly replaced by Justine, Aaron and Tiegan (who let's be honest had a bit more to them).

Jack left three months before Angel did and Daniel Amalm wanted out anyway. He'd done two years and it was going into his third. Glad they bought him back in 2000 with the flashbacks (Blowing up the van, Michael busting him and Sally in bed and of course the '96 flood where he tried to save Michael)

I always thought Sam would basically become a male Sally, he'd been there like forever but Ryan Clark had other ideas.

As for Fisher, 10 years can change a person (or leave pretty much the same i.e. Pauline Fowler in EE in the last 10 years of her lifespan)

Just my opinion but if we are talking quality I see

1988-first half of 1989 a great time.

Then I believe the next phase is 1989-end of 1990- The last few months picked up.

Then 91-93- all good

94-mid 96 all good

mid 96-mid 97- This is where I believe a decline happened. Lots of silly stories with Shannon and mines and Barbara trying to kill Fisher, They lost the IMO.

late 97- 2000 picked up, got back to real character stuff, brilliant and underrated time. I actually though Pippa's leaving story was good. It almost wrote itself and had a huge impact on all remaining characters. It wasnt just about her final ep. Having said that all the focus was on her in the episode and no one else.

2001-mid 2002- an even bigger decline, the worst so far.

mid 2002-mid 2003 love this angie era

mid 2003 to late 2007, - a new low for me, liked individual episodes though.

the first 1/4 of 2008- amazing

from then on - no comment.

I do still enjoy it every now and then in 2012 but nothing like I used to.

H&A has become too dark and destructive in the past couple of years, too many killings, fires and stalkers. 20 years ago if someone found out their girlfriend was cheating they'd just either punch the third party a few times or play a revenge prank on them by slashing their car tyres and maybe then decking them. In modern day H&A it seems to be someone getting killed in a revenge plot.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO

1988-mid1990 was the classic years.

After Tom's death and Pippa makeover I felt as if it was almost a completely different show. Also by that time so many originals had already left eg Martin, Lance, Celia, Floss, Neville, Frank, Roo etc.

mid1990-1993 Moving Forward Era

This was the time that saw the end of many classics like Carly, Bobby and Steven (fist time). Definetly a time of great change and the end of the Fletcher's as Pippa Fletcher became Pippa Ross leave Sally as te only fletcher left.

mid1993-1998 Making a Stance Era.

There were so many people being fostered in this time it's unbelievable but seemed to work as this is when I believe it started to become popular and was the time that formed many classics characters such Alf, Ailsa, Donald, Marilyn, Irene etc. Also the era of the Ross' as Michael and Pippa expanded the family only to loose out in 1996 when Michael died. Also the end of Pippa.

1998-2000. Boring Era

Don't remember anything that special happening in this time. More or less a transition from what was Home and Away to what is has now become. Saw the death of Ailsa making Alf and Donald the only two top dogs of the bay.

2000-2003 Family Era

Introduction of the Sullivans and the Hunters. Leah and Vinnie get married and have VJ. Gypsy and will get married and have Lily. This also saw the end to Donald and brought Alf to head of the pack as Sally became more exposed.

2004-mid2008 Crazy Stalker Time Era

From Sarah to Zoey/Eve. From Charlie (not Buckton) to that crazy guy who tried to burn Ric. From Rocco Cooper to Johnny Cooper to Sam Holden. This era seemed to have two storylines. Sarah killed Noah then herself which lead to her psycho lesbian lover to reak havoc on Summer Bay only to be killed in an explosion in an abandoned warehouse only to be rediscovered as alive only to subsequently again be killed in an explosion at a barn for good (or was it? Yes it was) at Martha and Jack's first wedding. The other being lets kill Sally by stabbing her but oh no Rocco failed sonlets kill him then Johnny can stab her but oh no he failed two but wamts to take down Sam with him but wait, Sam kills him and then herself in an attempt to ruin any chance of Martha and Jack getting back together. Also I think this is definetly wher Sally became the number one character and Flynn's death certainly helped but then again she left as soon as she was at her highest and found her long lost twin brother Miles who she had always thought was her imaginary friend Milco. Well that took me some time to type up. What's next you say?

mid2008-2010 1998-2000 All Over Again Era

This was much like 1998-2000 where nothing that memorable or exciting happened and dispute the People Smuggling storyline which I did enjoy it was still boring. I felt like it was based way to much on teen drama which is so repetitive and boring. This is however where I think Irene and Leah joined Alf at the top of the food chain as favourite characters.

2011-present Trying To Hard Era

This is the new era where as so many people have left and so many new people have arrived and the writers are trying to hard to come up with new and innovative story lines beaur everything else has been done already on the show. Hence why I believe they brought in the Braxtons. They are something very different to any other era but they are good for a intense storyline but have overshadowed other storylines making them overexposed and unrelatable. I mean who do you know who's father tried to make them rob a pub and kill the manager only to turn the gun on his father later to be kidnapped by a mystery man who take them to the desert and reveals that his their long lost brother and is now going to kill him in revenge only to be saved by his other brother and his onagain-offagain-onagain-offagain girlfriend but not by his other brother because he just lost his son to SIDS. I do.

IMO the best era was probably the Crazy Stalker Time Era becaus it was serious intense and fun to watch although it was ridiculous. Then the Trying To Hard Era because again it was interesting and intense plus it was when we lost Charlie who was is and always will he my favourite character ever. He send othe was very suiting in terms of storyline. I wish she never left and can't wait for her return. The. To list the rest in order of how much I liked them it would go Moving Forward Era, Classic Era, Making a Stande Era, 1998-2000 Again Era, Family Era and then Boring Era.