Roo and Marilyn have been ruined for me - similar experiences?

Guest matty

Marilyn used to be one of my absolutely favourite characters. I loved her her story lines with Lance and Fisher. I was excited about her coming back last year. However, they've totally ruined her for me, by putting her with one of my (if not the most) most despised character, Sid. In fact, the whole Walker family irritate me. Also, Roo just doesn't feel the same, not being played by Justine Clarke. There's definitely something intangible missing. The whole show is really boring me now, and I haven't watched it for two weeks. I am only watching the old, 7 TWO episodes.

What are your opinions on Roo and Marilyn, and have you had similar experiences with bringing back characters that you liked?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marilyn is getting annoying at the moment.. she is not her same bubbly self that I remember. I never watched when Roo was first in so I can't say anything about her, however I am loving the character now..... (surprisingly since I don't really like Georgie Parker).

Kirsty & Kane. They ruined them for me. Both of them. In my mind they are still together no longer running from the law with little Ollie. The first stint was okay, even when she was with Miles the first time round I thought that was okay cos that is what Kane asked her to do but then when she chose Miles over Kane I thought that wasn't right. Even though I like Miles he just isn't Kane and she should be with Kane.

also they should not have brought back Will just so he could go to jail.

I hated the Sid and Maz pairing the moment it happened and always could see how it sucked the life out of Marilyn - thankfully it appears the writers have also realized this and seem to be doing something about it which is great.

I am enjoying the baby storyline and it is good to see Marilyn in a more emotional/gritty storyline but I think the writers forgot to remember her personalty during most of the storyline and as a result she has acted out of character here and there and void of 'Maz speech' and direction. (On a side note why hasn't Irene called her that? She always used to call her Maz)

I enjoy the baby storyline though becuase it is very in-keeping with Marilyn's history of longing for children and in that vein it has been very in-character. I just think, as I said, they forgot to keep up with some of the elements that make Marilyn unique.

Roo - I dont feel like they have done anything negative to the character other than the lack of Morag/Roo stuff. I actually really like Roo played by Georgie Parker.

Marilyn yeah, I won't say ruined, but the writers have changed the character for the worse. Not intentionally, I don't think, but by the storylines she has been given, the characters she has been grouped with, and the lack of unique "Maz" speak, quirks and stories which made her so great. All the potential was there in her first month or so, but then it's like the writers stopped trying.

Roo, she is very different played by Georgie Parker. But then Pippa was very different played by Debra Lawrence and we all still loved her. I personally think Roo is one of the best characters on the show right now.

And while I haven't stopped watching the current episodes, I must admit I'm enjoying the 7Two episodes much, much more.

I can kind of see both sides of the argument.On the one hand, it's disappointing when a character comes back and ends up being portrayed in an unsympathetic light or having a satisfying ending ruined by an unnecessary follow up.On the other hand, if you look at it objectively, many of the actions are in character.It's in character for Marilyn to go to extreme and self-centred lengths to try and fulfill her desire for a baby.(I did actually like Marilyn and Sid together but I think the relationship is undermining him more than her now:Whilst Marilyn and Nicole's actions are understandable, it's unlikely that people like Sid, Morag and Roo, all of whom could see their arrangement would end in disaster for everyone, would have let it get this far.)It's in character for Kane to resort to stealing to provide for his family and alienate Kirsty as a result.It's in character for Will to try and play the hero, get in over his head and end up in trouble.I was a fan of Alex and Brodie as a couple and liked that they got a happy ending so was frustrated when Alex came back, announced they'd split up and turned out to be a drug smuggler, in what felt like a plot device to drive a wedge between him and Leah so they could excuse him never visiting her.But, objectively, I accept it was in character for both of them.(Although in my head, Alex flew straight back to Hong Kong and they got back together.)

But yes, it is annoying when Will and Gypsy's happy ending is wrecked for short value.Kirsty and Kane never had a happy ending in my opinion and I actually quite liked her with Miles but I recognise it would be equally annoying for their fans that they left together and split up when they came back.I guess this was all happening as early as 1991 when Frank came back, announced he'd split up with Roo, hung around for a bit being the bad guy in a love triangle with Bobby and Greg and left town with half the cast thinking he was a mongrel.

As for Roo...aside from the recast, I don't see how she's been ruined at all.It was actually Morag who came the closest to being ruined, as she somehow seemed to be holding a grudge for something that happened twenty years ago, wasn't that bad and which she supported, but thankfully they've got past that.

I think Marilyn has been ruined, I cannot see a way back for her and I rarely say that about people. She just doesn't seem to care about other people, only herself, which really annoys me.

Roo on the other hand, I am liking her, I dont think she has been ruined, but then I havent seen her in the show all those years ago so I cant comment on the past.

Roo on the other hand, I am liking her, I dont think she has been ruined, but then I havent seen her in the show all those years ago so I cant comment on the past.

Roo seems to have lost her edge a bit, but I guess that comes with age. Back in the early years, she had a very mean and spiteful streak; a bit like Tash in Neighbours.

I can't comment on Roo as I never saw Justine in the original role. I am a Georgie Parker fan so I love her at the moment.

With Marilyn I suppose it depends on your point of view. If you wanted Marilyn to come back unchanged as the bubbly, slightly ditzy blonde she was originally then for you I guess she has been "ruined".

Certainly she has changed in character. I appreciate the reasons behind the change. Years of hurt over the loss of two children can eat away at the soul and change the character. I think that is what has happened to Marilyn. It has been well written and I can understand and follow her journey. So "ruined"? ..... possibly not for me. Developed over time with a very different character emerging I'll accept.

As a general comment on the return of characters I think that the writers and producers have to be careful with that. Of course they need to cater for the nostalgia of long term fans who want things to either "return to the good old days" or at least not change too much.

But they also have to consider attracting and holding a new generation of fans who won't neccessarily empathise and warm to the characters of the past. To do this they have to allow existing characters to develop over time and add new characters who reflect life as it now is.

I think Marilyn has been ruined, I cannot see a way back for her and I rarely say that about people. She just doesn't seem to care about other people, only herself, which really annoys me.

How has she been ruined? She just wants a baby.

Archived