Roo and Marilyn have been ruined for me - similar experiences?

Guest matty

Good I am glad you e-mailed them about it, I also e-mailed the official site about Marilyn a few months ago and also brought up the lack of Irene/Marilyn interaction in the email too - a few months later we got the first Irene/Maz scene but hopefully they will really embrace the friendship.

Yeah I mean in the latest episode in Australia we had a brief scene where Marilyn was begging Irene for help regarding baby George. While I am pleased they are at least showing the odd scene between them, if I had only started watching after 2000, I would have been really confused why Marilyn was talking to Irene about this since they are basically complete strangers - or so I would think considering their friendship has never been re-established.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the Sid and Maz pairing the moment it happened and always could see how it sucked the life out of Marilyn - thankfully it appears the writers have also realized this and seem to be doing something about it which is great.

I am enjoying the baby storyline and it is good to see Marilyn in a more emotional/gritty storyline but I think the writers forgot to remember her personalty during most of the storyline and as a result she has acted out of character here and there and void of 'Maz speech' and direction. (On a side note why hasn't Irene called her that? She always used to call her Maz)

I am not really a fan of Sid/Marilyn as a pair either. They have totally different beliefs and are very different. Shouldn't she be with someone more like... KEITH?! haha! She should steal him off Colleen, now that would be brilliant! Just as their rift has been healed she would hate her again! Then Colleen could get with 'the handsome doctor' :P haha. Nah we all know who he will get with next.... :rolleyes: I actually want them to get together though, Sid and Roo are much better suited than him and Maz.

I think Roo is one of the best characters to be introduced to the show in years! She brings an amazing energy to the show thats really been lacking, and she has so much chemistry with almost every other character in the bay. Georgie Parker plays her exceptionally well, and I hope we see Roo in the bay for many years to come :D

As for Marilyn, I don't think she has been "ruined" , people don't stay the same, they just don't! Its been a long long time since we've seen enough of her to make judgements of her character, and its really not fair to expect Marilyn to come back to Summer Bay after all these years and be the carbon copy of who she was years ago. Its real life unfortunately. Also as some have pointed out, shes been through a lot on her life, and losing a child like she did when Byron died its bound to have a huge effect on someones character. From what I see of Marilyn I think shes actually a good character, she may have become consumed by her want to have a baby but I'm afraid that can happen to anybody and it can make us do selfish and out of character stuff, but its reality. Nobody knows how life events can effect us and in how they change us into who we are today really.

I am loving Home & Away lately, and Marilyn and Roo are quite a big part of that :) I hope they don't go anywhere anytime soon! :D

I think possibly part of the problem with Will's return was that they didn't develop him.Even when he left in 2002 he was fairly mature and responsible, even if he could still occasionally act like an idiot.(On which basis, going to confront Penn seemed pretty in character.)So you'd expect nearly a decade as a husband and father to have made him grow up a bit.Instead, it seemed more like someone had handed his 1998 self a daughter and left him to it.(Which, to be fair, is also how he was portrayed on some of his return appearances, notably the 2003 one Ryan mentioned.)Chatting up Fake Shandi wouldn't have seemed particularly out of place, if not for his having his pre-teen daughter with him at the time.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies thus far, they've been very interesting to read. It's not Marilyn's change of character that I dislike, it's them lumping her with Sid, my least favourite character ever. Also, why haven't there been references to the past, like when she and Morag have spoken?? They go a long way back, Marilyn having been Morag's maid 22 years ago.

i love Marylin with everything was she is doing and Sid get on my nerves, but is perfect for Roo.

Marylin needs a new man. a new arrival in the bay for her.

Marylin's character can't be ruined for me. she is a natural beauty, a natural person and so cute. sometimes a little bit childisch, but that's so cute. ok not everyone like that, but i think thats her and she have to be that person. i would never accept a other marylin. so i don't accept a character change

I think one thing long term fans can by guilty of matty though is turning their views of how a story should be into a continuity orgy. We know, for instance what happened in 1989, but they need to avoid the characters themselves becoming too self-referential.

Marilyn is getting annoying at the moment.. she is not her same bubbly self that I remember. I never watched when Roo was first in so I can't say anything about her, however I am loving the character now..... (surprisingly since I don't really like Georgie Parker).

Kirsty & Kane. They ruined them for me. Both of them. In my mind they are still together no longer running from the law with little Ollie. The first stint was okay, even when she was with Miles the first time round I thought that was okay cos that is what Kane asked her to do but then when she chose Miles over Kane I thought that wasn't right. Even though I like Miles he just isn't Kane and she should be with Kane.

also they should not have brought back Will just so he could go to jail.

They did ruin Kirsty and Kane you are right. Kirsty even said in one episode that Miles was the best thing that even happened to her. They didnt even reunite them when she left after losing the baby. But apprently the writers were trying to get Sam back to film a guest role but he wouldent crack. Theres always fan fics but it isnt the same it would nice if Irene got a phone call from them saying they are back together. Yeah in my mind they have gotten back together and the Sutherlands have accepted Kane into the family.

Archived