Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

Entry #1 had a nice opening with the question of why Charlie is crying.The relationship between her and Martha was written well with some nice banter and humour undercutting the situation.The truth was peeled away in layers for both Martha and the reader, first that Charlie has had an abortion, then that Angelo wasn’t the father, then that she was raped, then that Grant did it and that was why Ross killed him, with all the revelations nicely paced out so there’s just enough time to ask the question before you get the answer. Unfortunately it then seemed to just…stop, we know what happened but not what’s going to happen, whether Charlie’s going to tell Angelo, how she’s going to cope with what’s happened.The story doesn’t necessarily need to supply the answers but I felt that it needed to acknowledge that the questions were there.

Entry #2 featured a nice internal monologue with Ruby stressed out and trying to make sense of the mess she was in.The revelation that she was pregnant by Angelo came nicely and I really liked the relationship between her and Nicole.There was a real feeling of things spiralling out of Ruby’s control, as first Geoff finds out and then Charlie and she’s left faced with the whole town demanding answers.Having Angelo be the one to reveal the truth was a nice touch and a believable moment.Like the previous story, a little too much is left unresolved but it nicely sidesteps the problem with the humourous ending, which leaves the reader smiling rather than wondering.

Entry #3 suffered slightly from an uncertain tone at the beginning, the somewhat jarring contrast of Miles’ jokey attitude with Charlie’s tears left me unsure whether I was meant to be laughing or crying.All the characters were nicely portrayed throughout, I could imagine Ruby egging Charlie on to accept Angelo’s proposal and Miles giving his blessing and also Angelo losing his temper with Miles when he found out and Miles accepting he deserved it.But unfortunately I found the ending a bit too neat and simplistic.I could believe that Angelo would forgive Charlie but acknowledge that they needed to rebuild their trust but to have him propose again and her accept straightaway seemed a bit too unlikely.

So, I’m casting my vote for Entry #2.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick FanFic Contest #6

Theme: Potential Pregnancy

Please vote for your favourite fic, dont forget to give a reason for your vote.

Voting Closes Sunday 20th December

and thank you to those two people who entered

ENTRY 1

No. It couldn’t be. She squeezed her eyes shut and blinked hard; praying she’d made a mistake. She held the stick between trembling fingers, her heart thumping against her chest. Please be a mistake, she thought irrationally as she sank to her knees and gripped the toilet. A baby wasn’t part of her plans. Not now. She stared at the stick again, almost laughing at how quickly her life had changed, wishing it was 5 minutes ago. She choked back sobs and closed her eyes, desperately trying to ignore the voice in her head that screamed pregnant! pregnant! over and over, like a CD that was stuck. Taking a deep breath, she stood up and stuffed the test in the box, knowing she had to get rid of it.

He didn’t want to do it anymore. The past twelve months had sucked all the energy out of him. Watching her get her hopes up every month only for them to be inevitably dashed broke his heart. The endless rounds of fertility treatments and weekly hormone shots exhausted him and he couldn’t stand seeing his wife prodded and poked like she was a machine. He was tired of his life revolving hospital appointments. Making love had become almost robot like and he was terrified at the thought she was slipping away from him. He just wanted his wife back. To see her smile, hear her laugh. Most than anything, he just wanted to make her happy.

‘Kirsty?’ Miles called out as he walked in the front door. ‘You home?’ He dumped the shopping bags on the table and picked up an apple, tossing it between his hands and humming as he made him way upstairs.

‘Miles?’ Kirsty stood at the top of stairs, immediately panicking at seeing him home so soon. ‘You’re early. I wasn’t expecting you for at least another hour or so.’ She twisted her hands behind her back, frantically trying to cover the pregnancy test with her fingers.

‘Lovely to see you too,’ he said as he gave her a quick peck on the lips.

‘Don’t be silly you just surprised me that’s all,’ she shrugged and slowly started to inch her way backwards towards the bathroom.

‘Have you been crying?’ he enquired, suddenly noticing how red and puffy her eyes were. ‘Kirsty is everything ok?’

‘I’m fine,’ she smiled. ‘Honestly,’ she tried to sound reassuring. ‘Just got something in my eye.’

‘Right. Well I picked up everything for dinner, should be good. Hope Tony and Rachel like my famous lamb curry,’ he laughed, winking at her. ‘Hey, what you got behind your back,’ he asked, noticing her hands were still firmly tucked behind her.

‘Not..noth..nothing,’ she stammered as panic rose in her voice. ‘It’s a surprised.’ She pressed herself up against the wall, praying he’d leave. She laughed nervously.

‘Kirsty, what is it?’ he replied suspiciously, grabbing her by the waist and ticking her sides.

‘Miles,’ she shrieked as the test fell from her hands. She reached down and tried to grab it. But she was too late. An eerie silence filled the air.

Eventually Miles looked up and stared into her eyes, his face breaking into a grin. ‘You’re pregnant.’

‘We don’t have to go tonight if you don’t want too,’ he offered, smiling at her. ‘We could just stay home, watch a DVD.’

‘Why wouldn’t I want to go?’ she asked, glaring at him. ‘I’m not sick. You think just because I can’t get pregnant I want to hide away?’

No, of course not Rach that’s not what I meant. Nevermind.’ He shook his head as she stormed past him to the front door.

‘You coming then?’ She stamped her foot impatiently and crossed her arms across her front. ‘Finally,’ she rolled her eyes as he brushed past her, not uttering a word.

‘You not drinking Kirsty?’ Tony asked as Miles filled their glasses, noticeably leaving his girlfriends empty.

‘Oh, I have an early start in the morning,’ she replied, trying to keep a smile on her face. ‘These days it only takes a few glasses and that’s me ruined pretty much. Can’t do anything the next day,’ she laughed and glanced down at her plate.

‘Oh come on Kirst,’ Miles said excitedly as he gulped his wine. ‘Let’s just tell them. They’re our friends. Besides I don’t think I can keep it a secret much longer.’

‘Miles,’ she warned angrily, glaring at him.

‘Come on Kirsty they’re not stupid.’ Miles beamed around the table. ‘Kirsty and I,’ he paused and raised his glass, ‘are having a baby.’ There was a hushed silence. Kirsty glanced stonily at the table.

‘That’s really great, congratulations guys,’ Rachel forced a smile before downing the rest of her wine. Perhaps getting drunk would be the easiest way to deal with it. That morning she’d held another negative test in her hands, and she was going home to a shot of fertility drugs and 15 minutes of emotionless sex. She hated the person she’d become, despised the way she spoke to her husband when all he did was try and make her happy. Feeling his hand cover hers, she turned and locked eyes with him, smiling gratefully as he squeezed her hand.

‘I’m happy for you,’ Tony enthused. ‘You must be excited,’ his voice trailed off as he noticed the angry look on Kirtsty’s face.

‘I told you I didn’t want anyone know,’ she stated heatedly, banging her knife and fork down on the plate and facing Miles. ‘Why do you never listen? Did it ever occur to you I didn’t want anyone to know I was pregnant?’

‘I’m sorry,’ she muttered, looking up at Tony and Rachel. ‘It’s just a bit of shock and I wasn’t planning on telling anyone, but of course he thinks he knows better,’ she noted sarcastically.

‘It’s okay,’ Rachel said as she stood up. ‘I don’t actually feel that well, I’m going to go. Thanks thought,’ she said quickly, standing up and rushing to the door, chocking back the tears that were already falling down her cheeks.

‘What the hell was that all about?’ Miles asked as he watched Tony follow his wife out, muttering apologies.

‘You know fine well,’ Kirsty yelled as she starting piling plates up. ‘You just couldn’t keep your mouth shut.’

‘Sorry for being happy that we’re having a baby Kirsty, idiot that I am I assumed that was allowed.’

‘Did it ever occur to you that maybe I don’t want this baby? Huh?’ Kirsty blurted out as she let the plates clatter to the table.

Miles’s hand flew to his mouth in shock as he stood, rooted to the spot. ‘You didn’t just say that,’ he whispered.

‘I’m sorry.’ Kirsty glanced at the table and fiddled with the tablecloth. ‘But I don’t want this baby. And nothing you say will make me change my mind.’ She paused, aware that her voice was starting to wobble. She couldn’t look him in the eye.

‘Get out.’

‘What?’ The harshness in his voice scared her. ‘Miles.’

‘Get out Kirsty or I won’t be responsible for my actions. I don’t want to look at you right now. You disgust me.’ He turned and held the door open for her. ‘You can get your stuff in the morning.’ He stared straight ahead as she ran past him, waiting until he could no longer hear her heavy footsteps before he allowed himself to cry.

‘Rach!’ Tony called as he caught up with her, wrapping his arms tightly around her middle. ‘Hey, it’s okay,’ he whispered, as she turned and snuggled into his chest.

‘I’m so sorry,’ she said, her voice muffled.

‘Rach,’ he gazed down at her and lifted her head up. ‘I know it’s been hard. For both of us. But, maybe, maybe we should take a break.’ He hesitated. ‘All of this, I just can’t do it anymore. I hate seeing you so broken hearted every month. Watching your eyes fall when all our tests come back negative, as if having a reason would make it easier. Maybe we should go on a holiday. We need too. And I know one day we’ll have a baby. We have to keep believing because if don’t then there’s no point. Rach, I refuse to believe that two people who love each other as much as we do won’t have the joy of raising a child together. It will happen, I promise you.’ He gently ran his thumb over her face and gazed into her eyes.

‘You’re amazing,’ she sobbed, ‘and, a little corny,’ she laughed through her tears. ‘But let’s do it. Let’s go to some beautiful island and just be together and relax. You read about that all the time, couples who stop trying and they get pregnant. Maybe we’ll be that lucky.’

‘We will be,’ he smiled sadly and kissed her lips softly, pulling her closer to him and wrapping his arms tightly around her back. She closed her eyes and cuddled back into him, sighing contentedly. An hour later, they went home, and for the first time in months, made love.

ENTRY 2

"I can't do it! I don't need to pee!" Charlie shrugged as she threw the box at Angelo.

"How can you not need to pee, you've had twenty glasses of water already." Angelo rolled his eyes and sighed as he turned the box over in his hands.

"How about you pee on the stick!" Charlie spat back at him, "and I haven't had twenty, I've had five." She leant up against the door frame, looking acidly at him, arms folded across her chest.

"Maybe she's got stage fright... from where you've got your ear to the door." Leah suggested with a laugh as she shook her head at the warring couple. They both shot her looks of death, she held her hands up in self defensive. "I'm just saying." She smiled before walking off towards the kitchen.

Charlie turned her steely glare back towards Angelo, "You know, she could be right!" Charlie growls as she intesifies her gaze, as if she was trying to burn a hole through Angelo.

"You know, I'm beginning to think we don't need to do this test. You're getting more hormonal by the second. Test concluded! You're carrying a mini-angelo in there!" Angelo smiles cheekily, trying to lighten the mood, but to now avail.

"GO AWAY ANGELO!" Charlie snatches the box back out of Angelo's hands and disappears into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her, so hard that the whole house shakes. Angelo swallows nervously, before doing as he's told and waltzing away from the door.

Standing in the kitchen Angelo, taps his fingers on the table impaitiently. Leah looks over her shoulder at him, out of the corner of her eye, before laughing inwardly at his behaviour, turning her attention back to the stack of dishes in the sink.

"Umm..." Angelo begins before closing his mouth again as Leah turns to look at him. "Nothing." Leah accepts this and turns back to the sink.

"What's-it-like-having-a-baby?" Angelo burst out all at once, it almost made no sense. Leah contemplated her answer for a moment or two.

"It hurts." She nodded, before adding. "But it's an amazing thing. Being a mother is... just... fulfilling." Leah glows with pride over VJ, as she watches Angelo closely, trying to gauge his response.

To Leah's surprise, he doesn't responde, just nods. Then a few moments later, begins to speak again. "I-" He stutters. "What if I screw it up?"

"It's a learning curve. You learn from your mistakes, so long as you don't feed the baby rat poison, or let it play with your gun."

"Do you think... I'll be a good dad?" Leah sees a flash of worry show in Angelo's eyes, as he slowly asks his question with caution, but before she can answer Charlie enters the kitchen.

"Oh, Charlie not on the-" Charlie slams the pregnancy test down in the middle of the table, "table." Leah swallows in disgust. Immediately ripping off a piece of kitchen roll and placing it on the table for Charlie to replace the test.

Rolling her eyes Charlie picks the white stick up and places it on the tissue.

"Yeah Charlie, we eat off that! That's just unhigenic." Angelo quips, Charlie stares at him, with her head tilted.

"Excuse me?" She asks, knowing full well what Angelo had just said.

"I didn't say anything." He protests as he slinks back against the kitchen counter, Charlie just scoffs in response. "What now?" He asks gingerly.

"You wait." Leah throws them both a sort of half smile before heading out of the room, knowing exactly what they're going through.

Both keep their gaze on the white stick infront of them, neither saying a word or looking at the other. But millions of questions are floating around in their heads.

'This... is not the place you expected to be this time last year Angelo, how ever did you get here.' Angelo thinks to himself, while taking in a deep breath. 'A baby! You could be a father in nine months time. Less than nine months even. What's everyone going to say? Oh Jesus Christ, I'm screwed! We're screwed! This baby's screwed! What if I mess up?'

Rubbing his hands through his hair, Angelo sighs loudly, trying to drown out his own thoughts. 'What if I make a big mistake and my son doesn't want anything to do with me? What if I screw up his life? What if I drop him? What if he is a she? What if I can't put a nappy on? Am I ready for this?'

"Is it time yet?"

"Not quite." Charlie whispers as she glances at the clock on the wall. If she was telling the truth to Angelo, and herself, it was time, it had been time a while ago, but she trying to put it off. Her thoughts were beginning to consume her, but one thing was dominating her mind. Ruby.

'How will Ruby react? How will I tell Ruby? What does this mean for mine and Ruby's relationship?'

"How can I explain to Ruby that after giving her up, I'm now having another baby and not giving it up?" Charlie spoke almost inaudioble, she hadn't meant to say it out loud, when she realised she had, she hoped Angelo hadn't heard.

But no such luck, he'd heard loud a clear. He felt a pang of guilt rush through him, he hadn't even thought about Ruby in all of this. He'd only been thinking about all the mistakes he could make. Looking up at Charlie he sees the tears she's fighting back threatening to fall. Immediately he drops his guard and is by her side, comforting her, holding her close, stroking her hair softly as she lets her tears fall onto his shoulder.

"We'll figure it out. Besides we might not have to yet." He speaks softly in her ear. His voice is calm and collected, his demeanor is strong and composed, both a complete contrast to the inner turmoil he is going through himself. But he has to be strong for her, for Charlie, for what could be their first child together.

Sniffing back her tears, Charlie smiles forcefully as she pulls away from his shoulder. "I lied... it was time a while back."

"I gathered." The corner of Angelo's lip turns up for a second before he turns his gaze back to the pregnancy test in the middle of the table. "We'll figure it all out... I promise." He feels Charlie nod against him, before pushing completely away and reaching out of the test.

"Here goes nothing." Turning the test over, she looks down at it, keeping it in full view of Angelo. She lets out a sigh. "Oh thank God for that!" Relief rushes over both of them.

"See getting upset for nothing." Angelo smiles broadly. "And hey!" He jokingly scowls at her.

"I love you Angelo, but I'm not ready to have to children." She smiles before placing a tender kiss on his lips. "I'm going to go tell Leah the great news."

Angelo watches as Charlie practically skips out of the room with glee. His smile begins to fade when he realises he's alone again. Looking down at the white stick in his hands, which he had taken from Charlie's hand unconciously, he wonders what her reaction would have been if the answer had been the opposite.

'Would it have been so bad if she'd been pregnant? They'd have made it work, right? They'd make good parents, wouldn't they?'

"Hey, congrats on not becoming a dad just yet." The smile that graced Leah's face, faded when she saw Angelo's grave look. "It is congrats isn't it?" She asks carefully.

Angelo snapping out of his thoughts, quickly assess' Leah's presence. "Oh yeah. Definately, so not ready for dirty nappys." He forced a smile and a laugh.

"For what it's worth; I think you will make an amazing dad one day." Noting the look of confusion in his eyes she adds, "To answer you question from earlier." He nods in understanding. "Oh and by the way... Charlie pee'd on that!" Leah points out with a sly smile.

"Oh dear god." Angelo throws the pregnancy test out of his hands as it lands to the floor with a clatter.

Entry 1 - I really liked this one. The first two parahraphs gave a good insight for what was going on with Kirsty and Tony and how they felt. It was very descriptive throughout.

Entry 2 - I just loved this one. You really got into Charlie and Angelo's head and wrote their emotions really well with a good description of how they both felt.

Both entries were extremely well written but I am going to vote for entry 2.

ENTRY #1 featured an interesting choice of characters.There was a nice contrast between the couples and their interaction, with Tony and Rachel trying for a baby and coming across Miles and Kirsty, who had managed to get pregnant seemingly without trying.The contrast between Miles and Kirsty’s reactions to the pregnancy was nicely done as well and by the end it seems that the couple without the baby are going be happier than the couple with one.Oddly, my only gripe with the story is something that I usually ignore: punctuation.Some of the scenes breaks weren’t very clearly indicated and I was left confused by the cut from Miles finding out about the pregnancy to Tony and Rachel getting ready for the dinner, not realising for several lines that we’d moved characters and location and having to go back and work out when it happened.But then maybe that was the intention and I just didn’t get it.

ENTRY #2 was another one I liked.There was just the right mix of humour and pathos in the characterisation of Charlie and Angelo, panicking at the idea of becoming parents, not sure about how they felt about it or how they could cope.The internal thoughts were very well-written and rang true.Including Leah was a brilliant idea as well, giving them an outsider to comment on the situation and bounce thoughts and ideas off.

Both entries were very good and both writers should be commended but I’m casting my vote for ENTRY #2.

Entry 1 - Beautiful story. I loved how you had the two completely different situations mirroring each other, how Kirsty didn't want the baby and Tony and Rachel were desperately trying. It seemed quite cruel of Kirsty to think that way when you consider how much Tony and Rachel want a baby. I felt desperately sad for poor Miles, he seemed so excited and I loved how you described their feelings explicitly. I presume you meant to leave a space between the two stories as they ran into each other. I also liked how it didn't necessarily have a resolved or happy ending, i prefer stories that end with cliffhangers and aren't cliche or cheesy.

Entry 2 - Really good story, I liked how it had lots of humour in it and it was quite a bittersweet moment how Angelo seemed to wish a different result. I got kind of confused at first as to why Leah was there but then I remembered she lives with Charlie - that's H&A's fault for not writing their scenes like that not yours! Really enjoyed it, lots of light humour, dialogue and description.

Ultimately I have to choose so my vote goes to entry 1

Archived