Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

Both entries were well-written. I liked Entry One for its comparision between the two situations between Miles and Kristy and Rachel and Tony. It was interesting to read. At first, it was hard to get going to really understand what it was about, but once you got it, it was easy. It is a wonderful story.

Entry Two was brilliant. I loved it how Angelo struggled with his feelings about being a father, and when it was discovered that Charlie was not pregnant, he got sad. It was good to see the 'man' go through all these emotions, as usually, we would read about the 'lady' going through all these emotions. And, oh the humour! Just brilliant!

So, for its humour, along with the seriousness, it have to be Entry 2!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entry 1

I enjoyed the contrasting situations, and the despair that both Tachel and Miles and Kirsty were facing but for completely different reasons.I did find 1 part a little confusing, but I felt that it almost added to the story.I have to agree with Laura's thoughts about how things were left somewhat unresolved.

Entry 2

I felt like the humour which was created by the author detracted from the more serious parts of the fic. Otherwise it was a good read.

However I feel like Entry 1 deserves my vote.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick FanFic Contest #7

Topic: Summer Bay's A Christmas Carol

Length: 750 - 1500 words.

Rating: G

Only got one entry but I'm sure the writer would love to see what you all think after all the hard work that was put in, so here it is.

New Years Day 2010

Nicole tipped up the bottle and poured the last of the champagne into her glass. She looked around the empty room before taking a long swallow out of her glass.

“Happy New Year.” She said out loud.

The words echoed around the room and she stood just a little unsteadily and made her way up the stairs to her room. Miles was out and Jai was in Japan with Annie. Ruby and Geoff had decided on a lovey dovey night, which left her on her own. She could have spent the evening with Aden but she knew he needed to spend a little time on his own.

Nic lay on the bed reaching down to undo her very high and expensive shoes and fumbled at the straps. She managed to get one buckle undone but struggled with the other, scratching her ankle with one of the long false nails she had on her fingers. She cursed briefly before stripping off the sandal and dropping beside it’s partner.

“Happy 2010!” she muttered falling back on the bed. “Not that it will be, I’m sure!” she added in a bitter tone. “God I miss you Dad. You always knew how to make me feel better. If you were here now you’d tell me why I feel so sad.”

Nicole Franklin slipped into a dream filled alcohol-fuelled sleep.

“Nic wake up!” A voice called.

She rolled over and sat up slowly.

“Alf?” she asked groggily.

“Yes.” He replied.

“God! What are you doing in my room?” she muttered.

She sat up her blonde hair in a wild tussle to the side of her head. She hastily tried to flatten it but the styling products she’d used earlier kept it looking like something Amy Winehouse would be proud off.

“You need to come with me!” Alf murmured his eyes on the hair.

She sighed self-consciously and stood up putting her bare feet on the cold floor.

“Woah!” she cried out and lifted her feet up.

“Strike me!” Alf cried out. “Get a move on!” he added grumpily.

She glared at him for a second before placing her feet cautiously back on the cold floor and standing up. She tugged the dress she was wearing down because it had risen up her thighs during her sleep.

“What’s going on?” she asked quickly.

“Strike me!” he exclaimed for a second time. “You need to follow me now!”

She stepped towards the bedroom door and then turned back to find some shoes but he grabbed how of her wrist and dragged her towards him and the open door. She stepped through it with him and gasped turning around to look behind her. She saw the door to her bedroom at Summer Bay house and in front of her was the beach. She looked up puzzled.

“I’m here to show you something about your choices.” Alf said suddenly in explanation.

Nic gasped again but stepped forward, this was the weirdest dream she had ever had!

“But Alf.” She tried to protest.

He looked at her and put his finger to his lips and then pointed to the scene in front of her. She followed his finger and saw a wedding on the beach. All of Summer Bay were there. She could see Colleen fussing with her large unstable looking hat and Irene beaming with pride. Annie was back and wearing a beautiful long lilac dress with Romeo seeming to dote on her. Nic stepped forward to get a better view and saw Geoff waiting anxiously at the altar. She gasped thinking he looked so handsome in his tux and at the same time she felt a wave of jealousy and despair. She had thought she was over him but now seeing him about to be married she sighed, it was different.

“Showing me this won’t help me!” she shot out with and saw the lined face of Alf Stewart grin at her.

“Sometimes girlie you have to help yourself.” he cautioned.

Nic found herself moaning under her breath as she saw a woman, Geoff’s bride start to walk down the aisle towards him. She couldn’t see who it was because of the long lace veil and the ankle length dress.

“So you are here why?” she said.

“You asked for help.” he said and saw her instinctively nod before she could stop herself.

“But if you are here to help then why show me this?” she got out, feeling hurt.

She looked over at the expression on Geoff’s face and a wash of pain went over her. She wanted him to look at her like that again just like he used to and instead she had encouraged Ruby to hook up with him. She moaned anew and fresh tears popped into her eyes.

“Because you need to decide what you are going to do next.” Alf said slowly. “The decisions you make now are the ones that affect the rest of your life.”

“I know that.” She bit out, thinking about the mistakes she had made in the last year.

“But.” She began and stopped looking over at the scene in front of her. She pushed back her shoulders and folded her hands in front of her. “If he is happy then I’m happy for him.” she told Alf. “Take me back.” She said graciously.

“So you don’t want to run down there and stop him getting married?” Alf asked her twisting the knife a little.

“Yes Dammit!” she hissed at Alf turned to glare at him tears falling down her face. “I was better off not knowing I still loved him.”

He smiled at her display of anger and patted her arm awkwardly.

“Take me back please.” She asked softly witnessing the wedding, all the anger leaving her. She felt drained and empty and more than a little upset. She looked over on the wedding scene playing in front of her and smiled when Geoff leaned over to kiss his bride.

“Well at least he’s happy.” She said softly under her breath.

“And is that what you really want Nicole?” Alf asked. “For Geoff to be happy?”

She put a hand up and wiped at her tears before nodding not trusting her voice.

“Then I’ll take you back.” He said gently and led her away. Within moments she was back in her room at Summer Bay house.

“Tell me.” She began sleepily. “Are you ..” She lay back on the bed and drifted back asleep without finishing the question.

“I’m the ghost of Christmas future.” Alf murmured to her sleeping form. “I would have been here sooner but it’s been a busy year.”

Nicole rolled over still asleep and curled up clutching her pillow.

”Yes.” She murmured in her sleep. “I do.”

Three years later….

Geoff Campbell looked down the aisle and smiled at his bride as she walked towards him. He lifted her veil and whispered that she looked beautiful and watched as she blushed. He liked that he could make her blush because not many people could.

“Have I told you I love you today?” he asked.

She smiled.

“Not as much as I love you.” She replied.

The parson coughed interrupting them and they turned towards him as he began to start the wedding service. His words flowed out until he reached the part in the service where he called their names.

“Do you Nicole Franklin take Geoff Campbell to be your lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold in sickness and health until death do you part?”

“Yes.” Nic murmured looking over at Geoff. “I do.”

I loved that :wub:

I felt sorry for Nicole at the start, and the writer managed to give background info on what was happening with the other characters without going on and on about it. It was nice to see Alf in a story, and I liked the idea of him showing Nicole that the path she was on right now wasn't the path she wanted to be on.

And the end was really, really sweet (perfect, in my opinion). I loved the bit about how Geoff was the only one who could make her blush.

All in all, I thought it was a really good short story, and I look forward to seeing who wrote it.

I think the story had a nice feel to it.Nicole’s thought processes were captured well and there was some lovely humour in her banter with “Alf”, especially her thoughts on it being a strange dream and his comment that it had been a busy year.The wedding scene was described well and, although the fact Geoff’s bride was never identified stuck out quite a bit, Nicole’s reaction and the reveal at the end still made me smile.

Archived