2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest Slade

So, Holland/Spain final.Wasn't surprised that the Netherlands went through but pretty shocked that the Germans lost, I thought they were on a roll.Once Spain scored, Germany didn't really look like equalising, Spain closed down every attack they had.

And so, new winner, as the BBC commentator felt the need to point out about every thirty seconds. My first instinct is to say Netherlands but actually, going on those two matches, I can see Spain winning it.Netherlands came very close to falling apart at the end against Uruguay and I think if Spain play like they did against Germany, keeping them out and grabbing a late goal, they could nick it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPAIN REACH WORLD CUP FINAL - Thanks to an ENGLISH substitute scoring a late goal (it's against the Spaniard's football religion to score 'ordinary' goals for themselves it seems.)

Ben, from Outnumbered (a late cultural transfer from BBC 1 FC to TVE FC) was brought on with just 20 mins. to go, and with his first touch of the ball, headed it in the back of the net. He was later quoted as saying (though not in Spanish, he's only 10) that he couldn't understand what the fuss was about. As far as he could understand it, given that he only started watching it 3 weeks ago, football was all about 'putting it into the net' wasn't it ? Post match interviewers were impressed with these home spun pearls of wisdom; so much so that there have been calls for Ben to assume management of the Spanish squad before the Final, in an attempt to focus the Spanish players minds of the true purpose of 'The Beautiful Game.'

Viva Espana! I thought this was definitely Spain's best performance by far. As Alan Hansen said it's a delight watching them pass the ball around like they do. They really should have won 2-0 but Pedro was too selfish to pass to Torres when they caught the Germans on the break. I actually wouldn't have minded Germany winning but they way the approached the game and made no attempt to actually win it (like their predecessors Portugal and Paraguay) they didn't deserve to go through in my opinion.

I was suitable pleased the Netherlands beat Uruguay. My only regret is that we didn't get to see Suarez's reaction upon seeing his team lose.

Personally I would like to see Spain lift the trophy on Sunday to add to their victory in the Europeans a couple of years ago. I wouldn't count the Netherlands out though. It will be interesting to see how they approach the game. Will they have a go at Spain or will they sit back like most teams to and try and nick a goal on the break.

I had picked Argentina at the start of the tournament so disappointed they are gone and that they were absolutely thrashed by Germany. No hand of God to help them I guess... I'd like Spain to win from here, but the Germans will be a big gauntlet to get past. They have peaked at the right time and have shown some great resilience - especially as there wasn't very much expectation because they are such a young team. Anyone know who the psychic octopus has picked for the finals?

He's picked Spain to be victorious over the Germans.

I just read that ironically the last time the Octopus was wrong was in 2008 when Spain played Germany...

I hope he does a prediction for the final - even though the Germans are gone he should do.

It's gonna be nice to see someone different win it, therefore, I don't mind whoever wins.

I have a feeling that Spain will lose even after such a good performance getting rid of the Germans. And this is based on nothing scientific. Purely the fact that whoever I've been backing so far has been assigned the fate of loss thereafter. I would be the loser curse. lol! First the English/Italians who I had to back, national pride & all. But hey atleast neither deserved to go on & win. So I can take that. Then my support for the underdogs, Ghana, led to them being cheated out of the tournament. :( Thank god Uruguay got what they deserved. And then my other fav's Argentina also went that way. Now I'm backing the Spaniards here's hoping things don't end badly for them too. *fingers crossed* :D C'mon David Villa (& Pedro) score some goals & you'll be winners & on course to be Tournament Top Scorer as well. As long as Sneijder doesn't score. <_<

I wonder if Torres will be part of the starting line-up? Imagine scoring your long overdue goal in the final.

I really want Netherlands to win, they were always my second team to win (Brazil being first). I cant see Spain winning. I dont know why I just cant. I am so glad Argentina are out. In my opinion I think the Hand Of God has come back to haunt Maradona :P

Glad Germany got third place.Suarez missing a sitter was rather satisfying.Uruguay getting so far makes me wonder how they'll do in Brazil, given that they won it last time it was there.(You know, when Stanley Matthews made his one and only World Cup appearance and England shocked everyone by getting knocked out by the Americans...)

Scrappy final, inevitable someone would get sent off if it went on too long.Thought Spain would nick it with a late goal but I was expecting end of 90 minutes not end of 120.Iniesta may have been offside when he first got the ball(not when he scored, a few seconds earlier)and Netherlands definitely should have had a corner and possibly should have had a free kick shortly beforehand.But after kicking their way through the final, no-one's going to be that sorry for them.

Archived