2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest Slade

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad Spain won. I started watching this match being happy if either of the teams won, but the behaviour of Holland :o

Terrible fouls, arguing constantly with the referee. I'm surprised many of them weren't sent off, especially Van whatever who kicked Alonso in the windpipe. He could have killed him!

I'm also surprised that the Dutch managed to remember to be sporting at the end and shake hands with the Spanish winners.

Disgraceful match in general though

Of course if Collina had been the referee, none of the behaviour would have happened. Anyone remember Collina, the scary Italian referee who was the toughest of the tough? And looked like Vlad the Impaler too!

Although not as bad as the 1990 World Cup Final it was still pretty poor. I'm glad Spain won. Netherlands disappointingly followed in the footsteps of Spain's previous three competitors and rather than trying to play their own game seemed to try and nullify Spain's and as the teams before them failed. So as far as I'm concerned football won. A Spanish world cup victory has been a long time coming especially when I think how teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid have dominated European football over the years.

I thought the Netherlands definitely should have had a corner but the whole game was riddled with dubious decisions. I don't think Howard Webb did himself any favours TBH. Netherlands easily could have been down to nine men before halftime - De Jong certainly should have gone (Interestingly his profile on the BBC says he trained at kick boxing when he was younger). In saying that I thought Webb was in an impossible position. If he issues a red card and sends of the player then he has effectively ruined the world up final, otherwise he's not following the letter of the law as stipulated by FIFA.

Robben did have a really good chance to win the game but the Spanish also had quite a few chances. It's a shame it wasn't like the third place play off between Germany and Uruguay which was actually quite a good game of football. That would have made a far better final.

Spain only scored 8 goals in the whole competition. That has to be some record for the lowest number of goals scored by a world cup winning side. If you compare it to Germany's tally (15) it was just over half as many, although to be fair that was more to do with other teams parking the bus so to speak.

Archived