2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest Slade

Ok folks it's that time. For those of us who are into football in less than a week the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa will begin with the opening game the hosts South Africa vs Mexico.

So who do you think will win? Realistically I can only see the victor coming from four teams - Brazil, Italy, Germany & Argentina - who have all won it on more than one occasion and outside their own soil. I can't see the winner coming from anyone other than those four and history speaks for itself.

Italy claimed the World Cup last time but I don't think they will retain it. Germany aren't good enough at the moment although they have a very good record in the World Cup in general (they always get at least as far as the quarter finals, have won it three times and got to numerous finals) and you can never count out the Germans. Argentina are a possibility but as much as I loved Maradonna as a player I'm not sure he's tactically astute enough to steer them to victory. Brazil are the only team that's won the competition outside their own continent and they had a pretty good qualifying run so my money's on them and they'll really want it after their disappointment four years ago.

There are teams with an outside chance such as Spain, England, Netherlands, Portugal. Spain are the reigning European champions and play great football but I'm not sure they've got what it takes to win it. I've also put England in there as outsiders but I don't believe they've got a snowball's chance in hell of winning it and they are seriously overrated. They'll probably (should) get to the quarter finals again and possibly a semi-final but I can't see them progressing beyond that. Netherlands are usually very entertaining going forward but again I don't think they've got what it takes and the same for Portugal.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You list Argentina as one of the favourites but I don't see it. Maradona is beyond shaky as a manager. Some of his rotations and selection choices are inexplicable (JUAN VERON??? Is it 1998 again and nobody told me?). Messi is going to have to try to win it by himself for them. Brazil are always reliable, but their squad just doesn't seem that good this time. As a Man Utd fan, I can tell you that something is wrong if Anderson is in their squad. Germany will miss Ballack. Italy seem to be a bit long in the tooth, as do France. I think Portugal missed their best shots at Euro 2004 (Greece? How do you lose to Greece on your home turf?) and the 2006 World Cup, and now they just don't have the talent behind Ronaldo, and they've drawn the group of death, although Ivory Coast aren't as dangerous without Drogba. Holland's defence is shaky and unlike previous years their attack doesn't look too great either. Overrated. That leaves Spain, who are my choice as clear favourites. They look to have the best team, and now that they've actually won a major tournament you can't just say "they're going to choke because they're Spain". I really thought England had a chance before Rio Ferdinand went down, and Rooney's not in great shape either.

So who do you think will win? Realistically I can only see the victor coming from four teams - Brazil, Italy, Germany & Argentina - who have all won it on more than one occasion and outside their own soil. I can't see the winner coming from anyone other than those four and history speaks for itself.

It also never repeats :cool:

I'll be supporting New Zealand obviously. But I'm not ignorant to the point that I expect them to win. I think they'll be everyone's second favourite team. We're just happy to be there :lol: I'll be supporting Netherlands since I live with Dutch people :rolleyes:

You're a Man U fan ebrett84, you have my condolences. :P

The thing with Brazil is I recall in 2002 everybody was saying they weren't that great then and heavily criticized Scholari for the way he changed the team throughout the course of their qualifying campaign and his final team selection but they won it in the end winning every game and scoring more goals than any other team.

I've been thinking quite a bit about Spain and their chances. I think some people will argue that winning the European championships removed their label as a "nearly" team but a lot of people forget they've already won that competition. I thought they had a really good chance in 2002 and there's no doubt in my mind they were robbed against South Korea. It's a shame because I think they would have beaten Germany and had a final shot against Brazil. On their day I think they can beat any team in Europe but I'm still not convinced they can take on Brazil or Argentina.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing Argentina and Messi. Messi's been awesome this season for Barcelona so why not have another player win the competition for them like Maradonna did in 1986. The thing is though if they get to the latter stages of the competition and he's really that much of a threat most coaches will probably have him man-marked.

Italy may be "a bit long in the tooth" but they will take some beating. Again if you look at their record in the world cup they very rarely lose in open play, losing three world cups in a row on penalties. And in 2002 although South Korea played well, I always felt that Italy threw that match away rather than losing it with Trapattoni playing mega defensively where if they'd approached that game the same way they did against Mexico (in the game before) they would have won pretty comfortably.

Personally I feel this is arguably the worst generation of Germany players they've had. In the past there have been so many world class players - Beckenbauer, Muller, Rummenigge, Matthaus, Brehme, Klinnsman, Voller but as you say apart from Ballack it's hard to find someone that really stands out. However everybody wrote them off in 2002 and they got all the way to the final (although admittedly the draw did favour them failing to play a single European team in the knockout stages). They were a lot better in 2006 even though I thought they were a bit lucky against Argentina. Two years ago in the European Championships everybody completely wrote them off and I thought they were particularly bad but they still got to the final so it proves you can NEVER discount them.

I'd completely forgotten about France and post Zidane I feel they are ordinary. Ribbery did look good a couple of years ago before he was injured but I haven't seen much of him lately to know how good he is.

You're a Man U fan ebrett84, you have my condolences. :P

The thing with Brazil is I recall in 2002 everybody was saying they weren't that great then and heavily criticized Scholari for the way he changed the team throughout the course of their qualifying campaign and his final team selection but they won it in the end winning every game and scoring more goals than any other team.

Yeah, but Brazil in 2002 still had more talent than anyone. The problem in qualifying was that Scolari was trying to teach them a more defensive game plan and it took a while for the players to pick it up. They still had Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Juninho, Roberto Carlos and Cafu. Outside of Kaka, they just don't seem to have that much talent this time around. Oddly, given Brazil's "samba" reputation, I think the defence might actually be the strength of the team. I'm not saying they can't win, just that Spain deserve to be clear favourites ahead of them.

TBH I haven't been impressed with the matches so far and IMO none of the teams that have played as yet can win this competition based on their performances.

I think France were awful and will struggle to get out of their group. They are a shadow of the side in 1998 or even 2000 for that matter.

South Korea were actually quite good but it will be a different story when they play someone else.

A bit disappointed with Mexico because they are a good side and probably should have beaten South Africa but usually the hosts get at least as far as the second round.

The problem with Argentina was that it seemed to be all about Messi. He was the person that was delivering a lot of the quality passes and creating the chances and if it wasn't for him I think they would have struggled, although I have to say the Nigerian goalkeeper made some great saves. Also why didn't Maradonna start with Milito? He's been pretty good for Inter Milan this season.

England actually played a lot better than I thought they would. At least they were passing the ball around rather than punting it or trying to run with it. Still there is a bit of a question mark on the goalkeeper. Like Argentina they wasted quite a few chances and you have to say for both Argentina and England they can't afford to waste chances if they get to the later stages of the competition and come up against better sides where they will only get one or two clear cut chances per half.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other big teams, i.e. Brazil, Italy and Germany and seeing what they have to offer. Oh and of course there's Spain.

TBH I haven't been impressed with the matches so far and IMO none of the teams that have played as yet can win this competition based on their performances.

I think France were awful and will struggle to get out of their group. They are a shadow of the side in 1998 or even 2000 for that matter.

South Korea were actually quite good but it will be a different story when they play someone else.

A bit disappointed with Mexico because they are a good side and probably should have beaten South Africa but usually the hosts get at least as far as the second round.

The problem with Argentina was that it seemed to be all about Messi. He was the person that was delivering a lot of the quality passes and creating the chances and if it wasn't for him I think they would have struggled, although I have to say the Nigerian goalkeeper made some great saves. Also why didn't Maradonna start with Milito? He's been pretty good for Inter Milan this season.

England actually played a lot better than I thought they would. At least they were passing the ball around rather than punting it or trying to run with it. Still there is a bit of a question mark on the goalkeeper. Like Argentina they wasted quite a few chances and you have to say for both Argentina and England they can't afford to waste chances if they get to the later stages of the competition and come up against better sides where they will only get one or two clear cut chances per half.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other big teams, i.e. Brazil, Italy and Germany and seeing what they have to offer. Oh and of course there's Spain.

I thought Mexico vs South Africa was a really good game. Mexico were stiff not to win.

I think you're right about France. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it.

I thought Argentina were impressive. On another day it could have been 6-0. Nigeria's goalie was man of the match. Still I wonder if failing to take their chances and convert possession into goals will be a running problem. They also looked weak defensively down the right, and a better team than Nigeria will exploit that. Maradona didn't start Milito because he prefers Higuain, who scored something like 27 goals in 32 games for Real Madrid.

England looked ok. I think they need to start Peter Crouch. Heskey is an absolute joke at this level. Poor Robert Green, he'll be dumped for sure. Their central defenders looked very slow though, especially once King went off.

I'm not a huge follower of football but I always watch the World Cup. I think I was expecting a lot more from France! I'm quite glad England didn't win, the hype around them is far too much.

Me and my brother are doing this World Cup Challenge thing on Facebook where you predict the scores of all the matches. We got the first one right but we've had no luck since.

Ah, Robert Green.You can tell he started at Norwich.Not a bad start for England, although they could have done without Slovenia winning, they'll probably get through, might even make it past the second round if they avoid Germany.(Although they could end up with Australia instead.That'll make this board a bit interesting for a few days...)

Feels like there's a lot of very ordinary national sides in the competition at the moment.Hopefully by the knockout stages, or at least the quarter finals, we'll be getting to the good stuff.

Archived