2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest Slade

I was pleasantly surprised Ghana beat the USA. In the first half Ghana controlled the whole match but in the second half when the USA took over I thought there was only going to be one winner and the Americans had two really good chances to put the game beyond doubt. In extra time Asamoah Gyan made a magnificent strike, in fact both of Ghana's goals were excellent (albeit defensive errors) and in the end it felt like they wanted it more. I felt sorry for the Yanks though. It will be difficult against Uruguay, who are defensively sound (putting aside yesterday's blunder).

I thought the Uruguayans were playing quite a dangerous game against South Korea sitting back and inviting the Koreans into the game so I wasn't surprised the Korean's equalised. Uruguay really should have tried to kill the game off but again it took a magnificent strike to win it. I think Uruguay are now in a strong position and you would expect them to get to the semi finals.

Overall I'm really happy at most of the teams in the second round and the lack of European countries who barring Spain and Netherlands generally tend to play less attractive football. Today should be really good though. Hopefully the best day in the world cup so far. There's the Argentina/Mexico game tonight which I'm REALLY looking forward too. As I said before if it's anything like their second round match in the last world cup we are in for a treat. And the big one - England against Germany. This is a young German side but personally I think they will beat England (And I'm waiting for the flood of excuses to start coming in if England do lose). It will be very close though. It may only be separated by one goal, go to extra time or perhaps even penalties again where we know the German's are virtually unbeatable...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching England vs Germany live. It's a riveting game so far (40 minutes in). England got absolutely ROBBED on a disallowed goal that was about 6 feet over the line. That has to be the worst refereeing decision of the tournament. If England loses by a goal or on penalties, that is going to live in infamy. Germany aren't just sitting on their lead, all credit to them.

Regardless of whether England got robbed IMO they were awful. I thought the Italian's were bad defensively against Slovakia but this was by far the worst defensive performance for a side like England at international level that I've ever seen. I know some people are going to blame everything on the disallowed goal (and the referee/linesman) but the fact of the matter was they were hammered and were lucky to ONLY lose 4-1. It could have been (should have been) more. Hopefully this will give some people a reality check and realise that England are not a world cup winning team. They are a bunch of overpaid, overrated primadonnas!

After watching the Germans today if Argentina do beat Mexico they could have real problems but even that isn't a certainty - Don't underestimate the Mexicans! Wasn't too sure about Germany to begin with but I wouldn't bet against them going all the way now or at least getting to the final. I wonder what the odds of another Germany/Brazil final are.

I don't know much about football but even i can see that the goal should have been allowed. Maybe having leveled the score England would have played differently. But i think it's quite shocking that a team of talanted players played so badly when it mattered the most.

So, um, we're out.A bit.I expected us to lose, I didn't expect us to lose that much.Lampard's "goal" should have stood and drawn them level, and that one and Upson's goal did make me think maybe they could get back in it, but the rest of the game shows it wouldn't have mattered much anyway. Before the game, I thought if we'd topped the group we'd probably have beaten Ghana.Now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'm glad we made it to the second round, going out at the group stage would have been truly humiliating.(Hi, France and Italy.)Would have liked the quarters at least but you can't have everything.

I'm kind of glad England lost 4-1 so the disallowed goal doesn't become a huge issue. Still, I think that will be the straw that breaks the camels back when it comes to the introduction of goal line technology. England were badly exposed for lack of pace. On the fourth goal, Germany's left winger started about 3 metres behind Gareth Barry when the ball was played forward and ended about 10 metres in front of him. That was just bad.

Argentina won, in large part thanks to another horrible refereeing decision (Tevez scoring from about 5 yards offside). I still can't really take them seriously as potential winners though. I think the Germans will beat them.

This thread seems to have died since England were eliminated.

Spain were passing the ball around yesterday beautifully. It was a delight to watch. I'm so glad they went through because Portugal seemed to do everything to ruin the game certainly from a spectators point of view. This is the last 16 of the world cup, they beat North Korea 7-0 and made no attempt to actually try and score until it was too late. I'm really not sure what to make of the sending off. At first I thought it was play acting but when you look at it from another angle it did seem like there was an elbow. This is probably the world cup where I've missed the most games as half of them have been on when I've been at work.

We now know all the quarter finalists and I would say probably the best game potentially could be Argentina vs Germany (although I am looking forward to Brazil Holland). Argentina will be looking for revenge from 4 years ago where TBH I thought the Germans were a bit lucky. Argentina were 1-0 and in complete control of the match but Peckerman took of their best player (Riquelme) and replaced him with a defensive midfielder (Cambiasso) which allowed the Germans to get back in. Anyway as much as I want Argentina to win I think it will be a German victory.

Although unlikely we could actually have four South American teams in the semi-finals.

My predictions for the semi-finalists are Brazil , Uruguay , Germany and Spain , with a Brazil-Spain final.

My predictions for the semi-finalists are Brazil , Uruguay , Germany and Spain , with a Brazil-Spain final.

I agree with you on all apart from Uruguay. :wink: I think Ghana have a great chance and it would be wonderful for the tournament to have an African team in the semi finals. :D

I am absolutely devestated for Ghana. Suarez played dirty throughout that whole match imo and then to go and do that was just too much. If they want to cheat their way through then so be it. That should have been the winning goal for Ghana and it really sucks that it doesnt count and they have to take a penalty, so much pressure was put on Gyan it was such a shame. I am just so gutted right now. :(

Archived