Dexter Walker - Tom Green & Charles Cottier

Jen

Not sure where they're going with Dexter, the show's taken some rather odd turns since the beginning of the year, throwing out a lot that was good about last year.Whilst Dexter's eccentricities are still entertaining, they seem to be playing up the "being different makes you lonely" angle a bit too much and I hope they're not going to make the mistake of "normalising" him to make him fit in. Whilst I think he and April could make a good couple, I'd rather have Xapril back together so I'd rather they just stayed friends.Don't want them to make him gay either, I think that would send out the wrong message by suggesting anyone who's a bit weird has to be gay as well.And I get much more of a gay vibe from Romeo, Xavier and especially Casey than him.I think it would be good if everyone assumes he's gay when he isn't, especially if it's coupled with a "typical" male turning out to be gay, although I doubt they'll be brave enough to do that.Sadly, that doesn't seem to leave many options for Dexter hooking up, unless they bring Adrian or Graves back.Both of them seemed perfect for him but for some reason they didn't go there...

I think that would send out the wrong message by suggesting anyone who's a bit weird has to be gay as well

Yes, that annoys me when they do that. Like when they did that with 'the stalker' Zoe/ whatever her name was. Why did they have to make her gay as well as a violent maniac? I thought they were implying that gay people are always weird and possibly crazy.

Don't want them to make him gay either, I think that would send out the wrong message by suggesting anyone who's a bit weird has to be gay as well.And I get much more of a gay vibe from Romeo, Xavier and especially Casey than him.I think it would be good if everyone assumes he's gay when he isn't, especially if it's coupled with a "typical" male turning out to be gay, although I doubt they'll be brave enough to do that.

Can I just say how much I want that? Like, a lot. I adore your mind. I've said all along that Dex doesn't necessarily have to be gay, just that, because he is different, that people assume that he is. Maybe he gets accidentally asked out by a guy? And he's left going, "What just happened?" That would be pretty awesome in my mind. But for another character (*cough*Casey*cough*) to then be the one that comes out, would be even better. But, as you said the show wouldn't do anything like that. It would cause too much drama in the public eye. H&A have way a way of touching on issues, but not really doing anything with them, beyond scratching the surfrace, which I guess is just the nature of the show.

I think, like Hollyoaks in Britain, they should have a 'Home and Away late' or something, where they explore deeper issues. I'm not sure how Hollyoaks do it, I stopped watching it years ago. But I think they have characters going places and getting up to things away from the main Hollyoaks programmes. So its kind of interwoven with the main series. If that makes sense. Anyway, that could be interesting e.g. 'what happened when April went to France' like a mini series about April and her father, Rene and co. Or 'what happened when Miles went to Africa to see Elijah.' They would have to be more interesting and scandalous stories than those of course!

Edited by Miranda

• 3 weeks later...

This character has a lot of potential but I think the writers aren't sure where to go with him. It would be very realistic and smart if they made Dexter unsure about his sexuality. Like not sure if he is gay or not. The UK soap Emmerdale did a similar storyline and got massive ratings from the storyline. A storyline like this could be a massive rating hit for the show. Just look at how big the Charlie and Joey storyline was.

• 3 weeks later...

Dexter is so gay.

[And I'm not using gay as a synonym for lame or stupid. I mean he is genuinely lady fabulous and dreams about making out with boys.] I refuse to accept anything else.

Cases in point.

Case 1: Annie. Yes, maybe they were together for a split second, and it was sweet, bit there really wasn't any genuine attraction. As far as first girlfriends go, Annie was a safe option. She wasn't going to try anything with him.

Case 2: Adrian. Firstly, spelled that way I was sure she was a boy. Secondly, Dex spent more time pimping his goldfish tank than hanging out with the girl he supposedly liked. I'm not saying he didn't really like her, that's not it. I just think he was getting tired of being alone. (Even Kurt Hummel dated Brittany at one point - it's not an argument against him being gay.)

Case 3: The way is dressed. Costuming says so much about what a character is like. For example, Casey is always in dark tees and jeans, because he's the 'bad boy'. Romeo is in board shorts and tank tops because he's the surfer. Dexter? He gets awesome shiny vests and purple collared shirts. (He wore a corset to second period.)

Case 4: The most recent endeavour of Dex being 'normal' (which I think is stupid to begin with - because he is brilliant just the way he is). Meeting with Xavier on the beach, Xavier is oggling at Miranda in her bathers, saying how hot she is - What does Dex do? He quotes Socrates. Zero interest. Second, he turns up to this party because he thinks it'll be good for April. He also has a hot, blonde chick super drunk and puking up her guts, and it would have been an easy get. But Dex is not like that (He's also a decent person.) And she was on the verge of telling him that he wasn't that weird - and there was this split second of panic in his eyes as it looked like she was going to kiss him. Instead, she vomits down his vest. All Dex wants to do is get her in a taxi and get her home. he doesn't want to actually be with her. And he was super sad his outfit got ruined. (You're not drinking? No, designated driver. What about you? I'm still trying to impress Blaine Casey. Clearly he doesn't have the same concern.) I maintain that Dex was only at the party because of Casey.

H&A is this awesome forum for current socio-political issues. Homophobia and gay youth being one of them. It would make me sad if they don't go down this route with Dex, because in my mind it would be a very powerful storyline. A young boy on mainstream tv coming to terms with and accepting who he is. Not to mention his family. Remember how Sid reacted when he found out about Dex wearing makeup when he was making his video blogs? Imagine how he would react if Dex came out. A struggle to accept his son, whi he already thinks isn't 'normal enough'.

I've clearly put way too much thought into this. (Even though I have resided myself that he'll probably end up with a stereotypical girl in a heterosexual relationsup, because H&A doesn't do this sort of thing. But I will continue to think Dex is just living in Narnia the entire time.)

I adore Dex so much, and this would just make it so much more interesting. Even though he's in year 12, Dex knows philosophy at a university level. Why so awesome? :)

I agree with all you say Jen. Dex has the aura of a possibly gay young man and it would be so good if he was, for him, us, Home and Away, the TV world, the real world. :D

Xavier is oggling at Miranda in her bathers

But I just have to ask: who? Xavier ogling who? There's a character called Miranda coming along soon? She better be a character I like, that's all I can say. Either a super villain or someone glamorous. I was here first, ner! :lol:

However, fortunately its not me in my bathers Xavier's ogling. He would run the other way if it was me! :lol: