Dexter Walker - Tom Green & Charles Cottier

Jen

Okay, maybe she didn't :P but he has just become a likeable and unusual character now in my opinion, so I don't want him to change :) He is so like Robbie Hunter though, even though I didn't see much of Robbie, I think I was having a H&A break in those days.

Oh God please don't compare the marvelous Dexter to the horrendous Robbie! Dexter is so much more unusual and quirky and a true character. Robbie was just an irritating geek at first who then morphed into a pathetic wimp who spent all his time shouting. Awful character, such a pain during his years on the show.

I'm going to join the "dislike Robbie" brigade! I wasn't going to say anything as I don't particularly like to get involved in debates centred round opinions.. but since you both mentioned it! Robbie was indeed a "pathetic wimp who spent all his time shouting" (well said DL) IMO. Was so pleased when he finally left.

I like Dexter, the writing of his character has been a little irritating at times but I think there's enough raw material there for him to become a success.

I don't know when this thread became about Robbie, but I'll join in the bashing. I actually liked him for his first year or so...until the stepped on a needle storyline. Then he really did become a pathetic wimp who spent all his time shouting. Somewhere along the line he turned from Robbie Hunter, likeable nerd, into Jason Smith, jackass. Sort of like how Geoff basically became Lincoln Lewis during his last few months on the show.

As for Dex, I don't know. There's a fine line between "endearingly pathetic" and "creepy and stalkerish". He was the former with Adrian and Graves and I liked him for it. He was the latter with Marilyn and it really didn't interest me. I wish they'd kept Adrian around. She was interesting and different without seeming contrived as such characters often are.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I largely echo the feelings of everyone else on here.I loved Dexter when he came back and enjoyed his quirky sense of humour but went off him during the Marilyn storyline, where he seemed to go from having a crush on her to trying to break up her and his dad and coming up with ways to spend time with her in a way that was less sweet and bumbling and more creepy stalker.But, while they occasionally get the character wrong and he just comes across as rude and annoying, he's got better since then and I loved all the stuff with Adrian and Graves.On the whole, I think it's a thumbs up for the character at the moment and hope he's still being written well when the show comes back.