Dexter Walker - Tom Green & Charles Cottier

Jen

Hey everyone just thought I'd revive this thread & ask- who did you prefer as Dex? Tom Green(1st) or Charles Cottier(current)?

I have to say being a huge Dance Academy fan, I love Tom Green, but Charles Cottier is theDex. He's so funny and he just makes the character come alive. so I prefer Charles Cottier as Dexter for sure.

What about you? :)

Hey everyone just thought I'd revive this thread & ask- who did you prefer as Dex? Tom Green(1st) or Charles Cottier(current)?

I have to say being a huge Dance Academy fan, I love Tom Green, but Charles Cottier is theDex. He's so funny and he just makes the character come alive. so I prefer Charles Cottier as Dexter for sure.

In my mind they are pretty much two different characters so I don't really like picking a favourite.

I adored Toms's portrayal of a shyer, younger Dex, and his relationship with Annie was very sweet and innocent, especially when his family was pretty much falling apart at that point. [i adore Tom as Sammy in Dance Academy so much, so there's that.]

I was curious when they said they were recasting and bringing the Walker's back, and kind of surprised with the personality overhaul they gave Dex in the process. Having said that I think Dex's quirkiness and awkwardness and quick-wit is incomprable to any other character on the show. Dex's World is one of the best things to come out of the show -- that, and Dex's obvious boy-liking tendencies. I will stand by this until proven otherwise (and even then I will probably be in denial, so whatever).

In conclusion, like 'em both, but Charles' Dex is sort of my spirit animal, so I have innumerable feelings for him right now.

In my mind they are pretty much two different characters so I don't really like picking a favourite.

I adored Toms's portrayal of a shyer, younger Dex, and his relationship with Annie was very sweet and innocent, especially when his family was pretty much falling apart at that point. [i adore Tom as Sammy in Dance Academy so much, so there's that.]

I was curious when they said they were recasting and bringing the Walker's back, and kind of surprised with the personality overhaul they gave Dex in the process. Having said that I think Dex's quirkiness and awkwardness and quick-wit is incomprable to any other character on the show. Dex's World is one of the best things to come out of the show -- that, and Dex's obvious boy-liking tendencies. I will stand by this until proven otherwise (and even then I will probably be in denial, so whatever).

In conclusion, like 'em both, but Charles' Dex is sort of my spirit animal, so I have innumerable feelings for him right now.

Yes, I agree completely!!

Aww don't you just love Dance Academy :wub: (Speaking of which, Tom Green's character Sammy turned out gay....Hmmm haha!)

I think we did have a bit of a poll on this subject and New Dex won hands down.I don't think Old Dex made much of an impression on me;he had the occasional hint of New Dex's sarcasm but was drowned out by the rest of his family and didn't really progress beyond a barely two-dimensional Sensitive Teen.(It probably didn't help that he got in the way of my favourite couple getting back together.And now New Dex is getting in the way of my new favourite couple.Plus ca change.)

Whilst I like New Dex and he's a great character when done right, you do occasionally get an episode where the writer doesn't seem to understand him and turns him into a bit of a caricature of himself, dropping quips without really contributing anything and actually being a bit annoying, which we've had happen a couple of times recently at UK pace.Hopefully there won't be too much of that because most of the time I love him.

Aww don't you just love Dance Academy :wub: (Speaking of which, Tom Green's character Sammy turned out gay....Hmmm haha!)

Oh, I know1 I found Dance Academy as a bunch of repeats late last year and totally got hooked -- particularly on the whole Sammy being gay for Christian storyline. Maybe that's why I'm determined for H&A to do a 'Dex is gay' storyline? *shrug* Because the way it was done on Dance Academy wasn't anything huge or played for shock value. It was just a young boy figuring out his feelings and who he is. I adored that so much. And ship Sammy/Christian so much, so there's that.

Whilst I like New Dex and he's a great character when done right, you do occasionally get an episode where the writer doesn't seem to understand him and turns him into a bit of a caricature of himself, dropping quips without really contributing anything and actually being a bit annoying, which we've had happen a couple of times recently at UK pace.Hopefully there won't be too much of that because most of the time I love him.

I think some of the weird characterisation of Dex came from the fact that I don't think the writer's knew what they wanted to do with Dex. When he wasn't hanging with Indi, then where did he fit? There was that diabolical Marilyn situation which I would prefer to forget, but then I adored him with Adrian and now I really like his friendship with April. How they were the two odd ones and that was the reason they got on so well. Dex doesn't need anyone to dumb themselves down in front of him, and April dreams big and I think they do compliment each other very well. I like the dynamic they have. I'm not too sure how I feel about the couple possibility... but I'm open to being converted.

I think some of the weird characterisation of Dex came from the fact that I don't think the writer's knew what they wanted to do with Dex. When he wasn't hanging with Indi, then where did he fit? There was that diabolical Marilyn situation which I would prefer to forget, but then I adored him with Adrian and now I really like his friendship with April. How they were the two odd ones and that was the reason they got on so well. Dex doesn't need anyone to dumb themselves down in front of him, and April dreams big and I think they do compliment each other very well. I like the dynamic they have. I'm not too sure how I feel about the couple possibility... but I'm open to being converted.

To be honest, the whole Dex/April thing doesn't feel a million miles away from what happened with Marilyn:Dexter decides he likes someone who's already in a relationship and refuses to get over it and accept she's unavailable.Okay, she's in his age group and she does seem to like them both but it's not putting him in a particularly favourable light.I did like their friendship but I don't like the road they're going down.They should have brought someone new in for Dexter instead of having him fall for one of his friends' girlfriends, Adrian was ideal.

New Dex is just hands down, no second thoughts, the BEST Dex!!

I absolutely love Charles' portrayal of this Dex! He is simply hilarious!!

I cannot believe he didn't win the Logie that he was nominated for this year!

He is just fantastic as Dex!

I think, especially at the moment, it's great to see that shy, and vulnerable side to Dex!

You can tell his heart is breaking every time he sees April with Xavier!

You can just see it in his eyes!

Hope Charles stays on the show for many year to come!

For me, Dex is becoming one of those characters, like Colleen or Alf, that the show would not be the same without!

His quirkiness, his confidence, and just the fact that he is so brilliantly different to everyone else makes him simply fantastic!

I just love him! :wub:

Edited by LauraPhilly!!

To be honest, the whole Dex/April thing doesn't feel a million miles away from what happened with Marilyn:Dexter decides he likes someone who's already in a relationship and refuses to get over it and accept she's unavailable.Okay, she's in his age group and she does seem to like them both but it's not putting him in a particularly favourable light.I did like their friendship but I don't like the road they're going down.They should have brought someone new in for Dexter instead of having him fall for one of his friends' girlfriends, Adrian was ideal.

Oh, I agree! I think Adrian was perfect. So if it's a April vs. Adrian of who suits Dex the besst, then Adrian wins hands down. She was everythiing Dex deserved and wanted in a girlfriend. If there was the option of her sticking around, they would have been amazing together. I even like the fact that she turned him down in a, 'I-really-like-you-but-I-think-we-should-just-stay-friends' way, because in my head, over time she totally would have come around, and then Dex would be the one being pursued for a change. That's what I want most of all. Someone who appreciates Dex for being Dex. Not Dex having to put himself out there and make a scene like, 'I'm-a-viable-option-for-being-in-a-relationship-with'.

But alas, that's note going to happen in the forseeable future.

Regarding the maybe getting with April situation; I think they work awesomely as friends, in a complementary way. Moving to a relationship, particularly while April is with Xavier could be diabolical to the friendship, not to mention Dex as a person. I just can't see Dex getting with someone while they have a boyfriend. He wouldn't cheat -- he's seen it happen to Indi and his parents, so he just wouldn't do it. So the only way I see Dex and April getting together is April realising she likes Dex and dumping Xavier, and they only just got back together, so it's kind of stupid to do that in the first place.

*sigh*

The Current Dex is THE BEST and THE DEX. What it gives an other Dex ? (Just Kidding ;) )

Dex is just Hilarious and Funny and brings me to laugh every Single Time.

And Dex Friendship with April is the best thing that the Writter ever did in an Teen-Story after a long Time of Crap-Teen-Storys.