Dexter Walker - Tom Green & Charles Cottier

Jen

I think Dex is definitely one of the best things to come out of 2010. The Marilyn storyline was a little unusual, but you'd be surprised how many guys have the older women complex (myself, thankfully, not included! :P ) and it definitely established the type of personality Dex had, and where his character was coming from in the world. He's the sort of character that I watch and I genuinely want good things for - I hope in 2011 he finds some sort of place within the world though not to the extent of becoming 'generic teen'. I hope the writers embrace the advice that Marilyn give him - it's his quirks that make him special.

• 4 weeks later...

Dex you are my favourite right now.

I said this in the Aus Discussion thread, but over the summer I sort of built up this head-canon for Dex, and it's almost eery how similar he is now. I have fic written in which Dex watches a lot of animal documentaries, because they are things he can understand. They are a lot less complicated than actual people. All I need now is for Dex to get some sort of boy-crush on Casey and everything will be complete.

The Indi/Dex relationship is so good. I like that the writers are taking the time to look at that dynamic. The fact that Indi might think he's annoying and dorky, but she really does care about him. And that Dex doesn't really have any interest in Indi's relationship with Romeo, but just wants her to be okay. He's seen her go through multiple boys and relationships and always seems to come out of them hurt, so he wants to protect her. At least, that's how I see it.

I adore that he's got this video making thing happening now. It's an outlet for him. Like, maybe if he makes videos about relationships he;ll somehow underdtand them, and then figure out why it is that he can't get a girlfriend or just ... any friends. It's okay, Dex. I'll be your friend.

Well judging from what's coming up next week on the show, it looks like Dex is gonna be certainly more interesting. I wonder where they are going to go with what they showed?

(as it's kind of a spoiler I've not been literal on what was shown just in case it can't be mentioned yet. if we can lemme know coz it's gonna be a huge storyline possibly!)

Well judging from what's coming up next week on the show, it looks like Dex is gonna be certainly more interesting. I wonder where they are going to go with what they showed?

(as it's kind of a spoiler I've not been literal on what was shown just in case it can't be mentioned yet. if we can lemme know coz it's gonna be a huge storyline possibly!)

These character/actor discussion threads are spoiler free zones. Anything spoiler related should be discussed in the appropriate spoiler threads (in the spoiler section of the forum). So, keep it at Australian pace discussion.

Copied from the Aus Discussion thread.

~Feelings. I have lots of them.

I've said Dex is my favourite from the start, and if I didn't already adore him, then tonight would have cemented it. He's witty and funny and interesting and doesn't take himself seriously, and yet ... I feel like there is something deep down going on. I have my own crack theories about what is happening. In my head it's a case of Dex is exploring his more effeminent side, while Casey is deliberately making the moves on Ruby, because he was getting too close to Romeo and is dealing with a lot of denial. However, I realise a lot of these are constructed with my tin hat firmly placed on my head. But, Dex ultimately is doing what makes him happy. April appears to be his only friend, and this online blog is way for him to nut through all the craziness of being an adolescent in a creative way. He doesn't have friends to just sit down and talk through stuff with -- like why he doesn't have a girlfriend/if he actually wants one/talk of his dad and Marilyn adopting and changing the family dynamic/not being that close to his father/being told to just fit in and be normal -- so he makes videos. It's different and exciting, and relevant to what a lot of teenagers do. They put stuff about themselves online -- whether it's physically written blogging, or videos, or pictures, or status updates. So, from what I can gather there are a few ways for this storyline to go (if the show actually pursues it).

They could delve into cyber bullying. There was that brief incident with Ruby and Matthew Lyons and him posing as a girl online, but not really much happened. It was kind of forgotten after he posted her diary over the school (if I remember correctly). But this could link in to what Sid was saying about what if kids from school saw the blog? How would they react? Would Dex get teased/picked on/excluded even more than he is now? I've said this in previous posts, but Dex wouldn't even need to be gay, just that is what the kids at school would judge him for. I mean, it's what some of us are thinking, right? That because Dex puts makeup on and wears girls' clothes that equals him being gay. So, it's logical that that is the conclusion that his peers are going to jump to. See reactions of Sid and Marilyn for evidence. It might also link in to the fact that VJ has been going online to chat to kids about faith. Maybe this is more of a long shot, but there has been some conscious decisions to have a Dex/VJ friendship, at least at the beginning, so maybe VJ might be targetted. Felix Dean is a good little actor, so it's plausible. Thirdly, what if Dex becomes populatr Is it likely that these vlogs take off so that there is a turn around Dex? So many unanswered questions, but I haven't been so excited about a storyline in a long time.

Now, Sid's reaction I think is completely in character. He's a Doctor. Respected, conservative, with a certain standard and reputation. Seeing his son dress up and make videos as a girl has got to be a shock. It's not like he really takes all that much interest in Dex's exploits -- He has no idea what's going on. Maybe that's another lead for where this story is going. Dex's relationship with Sid. I want Indi to find out about it too, because I really like the brother/sister dynamic of those two. Sid wants Dex to fit in, I get that. I also appreciate that he did try and talk to Dex about it. It's all very much how Sid would react. Not everyone is as open minded as Marilyn, and I think if anything it's a bit of a taste of what might be to come. People judging Dex for what he does.

In conclusion, Charles Cottier Appreciation Life.

And to add, I admire the writers for going down this route with a character. I've never seen anything like it before. Whether Dex turns out to be gay or not, seems irrelevant to me, because there is so much more going on. I almost think it's a cry for attention from Dex. It's not that he and Sid don't get along, but I don't think they're close. I sort of want to see a Kurt-Burt Hummel-esque storyline in which Sid has to come to accept his son for who he is and what he does. Maybe he will have to come to defend Dex's right to post videos about what he wants? Does he accept any responsibility if things go crazy?

Obviously this is all specualtion, so no spoilers here. Just wanted to get it out of my system.

Also, still shipping Casey/Dex, so yeah.

LOVE your post Jen! I haven't seen all this on screen yet but it sounds interesting and I've already noticed the way Casey and Romeo are looking at each other after just one episode :lol: Oh, good old Home and Away, a break from my normal life :)

Edited by Miranda

I like your post Jen.

I've liked Dex as a character since the beginning, for the simple fact he is different, has the sparky personailty that he has. He doens't fit in with most people but does sometimes try to. I've had similar things happen myself so I can sympatise with the character's struggle to be accepted for being weird/geeky/etc. Granted I've not done the dress up as a girl thing but you et the idea wekk the geekiness.

It's refreshing to see a character like Dex on the show and I'm looking forward to see where they go with this.