Tennis

Guest KirstyEkua

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Nadal – Federer final for the first time in the Australian open I believe. It’s hard to see past Federer. Even though Nadal beat him at the French and Wimbledon last year, I feel he is not as comfortable on the hardcourts as he is on clay and grass. Also he has completed a gruelling five set match whereas Federer has had a relatively easy passage to the final. Federer is also on a high and has renewed confidence after winning the US last year. He is the man to beat and bar playing under par I’m sure he will match Pete Sampras’s record of 14 Grand Slam singles titles.

Well done to Serana. It’ obvious that the women’s game is pretty one-sided. I know there are other good players i.e. mainly the Russians but none of them are in the same league as the Williams sisters. That’s 10 grand slams for Serena. She still has a long way to go before she can catch up with the likes of Graf, Evert and Navaratilova though. Some of the all time greats.

The men's final should be a fantastic match. I'm hoping!

I think one of the reasons Serena and Venus can continue to come out and play like they do is because they don't play as many tournaments as the other players. There's so much controversary surrounding them and their 'part time' schedule, which shoudn't be allowed.

Obviously they're both amazing athletes and have immesne power, but if they were committed to the sport fulll time it would be interesting to see the results.

We have some good tennis courts around here, and I have kinda wanted to try for a while, but I've never actually brought myself to do it. I suck at almost anything with a ball included, so I'm kinda worried I'll only end up humiliating (and possibly hurting) myself and others :P

And we don't have any indoor courts as far as I know, so it'll have to wait until summer anyway :P

Well done Nadal, after adding the Australian open title to the French, Wimbledon and Olympic titles that he won last year I think his reaffirmed his position as the King of Tennis. He defiantly deserves the number one spot. Initially I thought Federer would win in three or four sets but after claiming the first set and being a break up in the second I thought Nadal would run a way with it.

Federer then broke back and won the set and I actually thought that was a real turning point (coupled with the fact that Nadal had a gruelling five setter a couple of days before) as it seemed the momentum was with him. And then he was up 40-0 and 40-15 against the Nadal serve and Nadal someone how managed to come back and win the set after saving so many break points. Even after this I still thought that Federer was going to win because Nadal’s accumulated fatigue would eventually catch up with him.

However in the fourth set the were signs that Federer was wavering. He seemed to be playing uncharacteristic drop shots and debating calls with the umpire (rather than just challenging the call and be done with it like he usually would). Then at the beginning of the fifth set something that I never thought we would never see with him in the match – fatigue. I actually thought it would have been far more likely to be Nadal who tired first. Nadal then took advantage and seized the opportunity to move ahead and win.

I have to say that Nadal’s fitness level is undoubtedly second to none.

Overall for four sets I thought the standard of tennis was to the highest quality and was reminiscent of the final in Wimbledon last year. There were some truly great shots.

Federer’s reaction afterwards reminded me of when he lost his first French open final to Nadal (extremely displeased). I think he will have taken this loss badly and I have to agree with the commentators that realistically you would expect his next shot to emulate the great Pete Sampras will be at Wimbledon. I know anything can happen but barring injury or extenuating circumstances you would expect Nadal to win the French as he is virtually unbeatable on clay.

Archived