Tennis

Guest KirstyEkua

I agree about Nadal. I really hope his injury is not going to have a serious affect on his future becasue i feel he has so much more to give. He's my favourite player just now and i'd love to see him win the French again this year.

I feel the same about the women's game. In a way i feel the Williams sisters 'cheat' the system as they don't play a full schedule like the other Top 20 or so players so, therefor they're pretty much always at the peak of fittness for Grand Slams. But then again they've outlasted so many players so maybe they've got the right idea. I think the tour requirements are quite punishing and that's what causes so many injuries and early retirements. But yeah it's exciting Kim and Justine are back and i hope they'll be serious contenders for the rest of the major titles this year. I used to like Ana Ivanovic but ever since she won the French and became No.1 she declined so rapidly i don't see how she's going to get back to her best. I hope she can though. I would love to see Safina win a major, and Demetieva. The Russian mentality has a lot to answer for! :lol:

I think Federer is just too good for pretty much everyone.

It pains me to say it but i agree about Murray winning a grandslam :P I just hope it's not Wimbledon or else we'll never hear the end of it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Federer is probably the best all round tennis player ever. His record once he retires will probably be untouchable.

Women's tennis isn't at a particularly strong point, at the moment. Hopefully, there will be a few youngsters that come through soon.

I understand the pressure thing for Murray. He's not alone in it, though. Every country does it at some point - I know the pressure NZ points on the All Blacks is huge but the pressure we put on them is nothing compared to what they put on themselves.

I used to like Roddick but some of his comments to the ball boys this year have put me off him.They're just kids.

I love Federer but i think he's losing his spark a tad.He had a few close calls this year.

I did feel sorry for Murray a bit but I think they all feel the same pressure,it's just something he'll have to learn to get past.Like Lise said,we don't put as much presssure on them as they put on themselves.

I’m guessing the William’s sisters are on obscene amounts of money from sponsors (possibly a lot more than some of their closest competitors) so you could argue they don’t need to go gallivanting around the world playing tournaments. I agree though there’s no way both of them can sustain that level of tennis indefinitely and if they did play as much as some of the other top ranked players I’m guessing they would lose their seeming invincibility, although you could argue Federer hasn’t. Sixteen and counting…

Roddick can be quite rude sometimes but if you watch his post-match interviews some of them can be quite funny. He seems to have an ironic sense of humour. Very un-American like.

• 4 months later...

A big congrats to Nadal on reclaiming the French Open thus reaffirming his status as the ultimate clay court player (arguably the greatest) and propelling himself back to number 1 in the World Rankings. I was a bit worried after the first set but he upped his game and more importantly did something that only Federer could do an that's make his opponent play EVERY point. I have to say his fitness level was first class. It's worth noting he won the entire tournament without losing a single set and now has 5 French Open titles to boot so that's a total of 7 Grand Slams. I'm so glad because I thought the injuries he had last year spelt the possible end of his career but he's back!

Shame about Dementieva having to pull out because of injury like that. I felt quite sorry for her.

I know i felt the same about Dementieva. I really thought this year would be her chance, especially with no Williams, Henin in the final. I thought the womens final was a really fantastic match, certainly better than in previous years. I did kinda want Stosur to win though; i think the ocassion just got to her a little bit.

Thrilled for Nadal :D

Archived